rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mens Strength Standards

Mens Strength Standards

I found this post the other day and thought it would be good for the RVF. Its a brief discussion on mens strength standards, and interesting because he breaks down strength standards from Pro power lifter numbers, to lower 'Very Strong' numbers, which basically means if you put in a 3-6 month consistent beginner program, you will be 'very strong' compared to most people. For me the strength standards are like any fitness marker, your 5K time, your 100m time, etc. I see a lot of confusion here as to what people should be lifting, or aspiring to train for.

From my review, for beginners, I would use this chart to shoot for, its very attainable with 3-6 months of consistent work using one program.

WeightSquatsBench Deadlifts
132 250 155 255
148 265 175 270
165 290 190 310
181 310 205 335
198 330 220 350
220 350 235 370
242 370 250 380
275 385 260 390
308 405 270 405

His final recommendation is a little higher than I would expect, but a good one for intermediate lifters. This is very attainable.

Bench Press – 300 pounds
Squats – 400 pounds
Deadlift – 500 pounds
Power Clean – 225 pounds
Overhead Press – 225 pounds
Barbell Row – 300 Pounds

http://muscleandbrawn.com/strong-strengt...l-lifters/

Mens Strength Standards

I've hit each of those but the OHP. Still working on that one!

225 is a LOT

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-25-2013 03:33 PM)reaper23 Wrote:  

225 is a LOT

It is, I have friends with big benches that automatically press better, I think there is something to a connection between the two, especially with the lay back. Watch the low back though..

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-25-2013 03:33 PM)reaper23 Wrote:  

225 is a LOT

Same with the 300lb row. I can't imagine a guy meeting those stats having a strict row like that. Ive seen a dude row 265 before but he also deadlifted close to 700lb

Ive "rowed" 225 before but it was sloppier than lindy west at a Chinese buffet

Mens Strength Standards

My bad. Didn't see the row. Can't do that. But can do weighted pull with 40 lbs and I am 250

Mens Strength Standards

Standards assembled by Lon Kilgor, author of Starting Strength:
http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/St...dards.html

I've found them to be pretty accurate. After a year of training I'm somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced for all the lifts I've focused on.

Mens Strength Standards

I know the point is to more provide something to strive for than anything else, but those recommendations that he gives at the end look a lot different if you're 165 pounds as opposed to 220 pounds, as opposed to 270 pounds. As it is, I've only hit that bench and power clean.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Mens Strength Standards

Great post, I've struggled to find something that provided a spread by weight class. I weigh around 180 and could only ever find comparisons for guys that were doing lifts and weighed over 200. These numbers make way more sense for lifts that I have found very difficult.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-25-2013 05:37 PM)Ensam Wrote:  

I've found them to be pretty accurate. After a year of training I'm somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced for all the lifts I've focused on.

^

This chart seems much more reasonable to me.

So in the original one posted, a 200 lbs newbie lifter should be maxing 330 squat, 220 Bench, and 350 DL after 3-6 months of weight training?

Maybe I just started out weak as shit, but I was nowhere close to those numbers after 6 months of lifting.

Mens Strength Standards

The beginner goals are on point

The final goals are kind of ridiculous for most guys who weigh less than 220 lbs

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-25-2013 08:39 PM)Neo Wrote:  

Quote: (12-25-2013 05:37 PM)Ensam Wrote:  

^

This chart seems much more reasonable to me.

So in the original one posted, a 200 lbs newbie lifter should be maxing 330 squat, 220 Bench, and 350 DL after 3-6 months of weight training?

Maybe I just started out weak as shit, but I was nowhere close to those numbers after 6 months of lifting.

I would re-evaluate your program and your diet, especially after 6 months of consistent training. I am not trying to dog you our or troll you but these are pretty common novice max numbers I have seen in the gym after a short period of training, just a tad on the high side. Maybe 315 Sq, 185 bench & 335 DL is closer.

Mens Strength Standards

I always think of 1x bodyweight Ohp, 1.5 bench, 2x squat and 2.5 dl as "strong" numbers. Not sure where I read that at.

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-25-2013 04:40 PM)reaper23 Wrote:  

My bad. Didn't see the row. Can't do that. But can do weighted pull with 40 lbs and I am 250

Impressive, personally pullups are one of my weakest areas.

Also just to be clear I wasn't directing the row comment towards what you said, but at the guy who made the standards.

Mens Strength Standards

Nice post. I've meet really gone after the 1 rep max.

OHP is insane though. Along with rows.

Looks like I've found some New Years goals.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Mens Strength Standards

A 225# OHP is not realistic for the vast majority of guys, even pretty serious lifters, especially if you're natural. I've spent a lot of time in gyms (granted, not high-end bodybuilder/powerlifter gyms, but not grandma gyms either) and I can only remember seeing one guy hit 225 on the OHP. And he was your classic brick shithouse, about 5'7" and 230 lbs. of solid muscle. He would also squat 500+ raw, legitimate freak of nature strength. The idea that your average lifter is going to hit those numbers even with years of dedication is laughable. To get to that level naturally requires insane genetics that very few people are blessed with, on top of dedicated training.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Mens Strength Standards

Rio:

So 250 OHP. 375 bench. 500 squat and 625 deadlift for me? Yikes. I got a long way before I'm strong by that definition!

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-26-2013 12:13 AM)scorpion Wrote:  

A 225# OHP is not realistic for the vast majority of guys, even pretty serious lifters, especially if you're natural. I've spent a lot of time in gyms (granted, not high-end bodybuilder/powerlifter gyms, but not grandma gyms either) and I can only remember seeing one guy hit 225 on the OHP. And he was your classic brick shithouse, about 5'7" and 230 lbs. of solid muscle. He would also squat 500+ raw, legitimate freak of nature strength. The idea that your average lifter is going to hit those numbers even with years of dedication is laughable. To get to that level naturally requires insane genetics that very few people are blessed with, on top of dedicated training.

A 225lb OHP is not really any more impressive than a ~300lb bench. It's true it's rare to see nowadays but I believe the reason why is not the the weight but the fact that it's not a popular/often practiced lift.

The standing version requires core strength, something that is severely lacking in most recreational trainers.

Powerlifters dont do them often because they were dropped from official competition decades ago. Hence for them It takes a back seat to squats, bench, and deads.

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-26-2013 12:25 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Rio:

So 250 OHP. 375 bench. 500 squat and 625 deadlift for me? Yikes. I got a long way before I'm strong by that definition!

Maybe it was "very strong", I dont remember lol. I read it somewhere the nice round numbers always stuck with me.

After less than a year of consistent lifting I've hit 225x5 bench and 355x3 squat at 185lbs bodyweight, though I've since lost a lot of squat strength after I pulled my hamstring. 1rm calculator put my max bench st 253, though I don't think it actually is. Seems a 1.5 bench would be obtainable within the next year.

It's probably easier for lighter guys to hit those numbers. A 300lb squat for a 150 dude is a lot, but I'd think it's easier to obtain than a 500lb squat for you. Could be wrong though.

Mens Strength Standards

I think a 225 strict OHP (no push) is damn impressive and much harder for most guys to achieve than a 300 lb bench press. For a 220 lb male Kilgore has a 305 lb bench as being 'advanced' - achievable with a few years of training - and a 255 OHP as being 'elite - achievable by athlete competing in strength sports. The equivalent 'eilte' bench is 380 lbs.

Mens Strength Standards

I'm sure that guy LittleBeastM would have no trouble pressing 225.
That being said, the press takes a very long time to grow.

Mens Strength Standards

My stats:

Weight: 170lbs (77kg)
Bench: 310lbs (140kg)
Squat: 300lbs (135kg)
Deadlift: 330lbs (150kg)

I know I'm a "curlbro".

OHP of 225 (100kg) is Bane mode for me. If I could naturally reach it I would be the proudest motherfucker around. Currently at 80kg max and I think I'll go to 90 before I have to switch to some serious chemistry.

Mens Strength Standards

I don't quite understand the numbers - is this one rep?

If so, I'm "extremely strong" on bench, but only "strong" on squats.

Have never done a dealift in my life.

Mens Strength Standards

Quote: (12-25-2013 10:06 PM)puckman Wrote:  

]

I would re-evaluate your program and your diet, especially after 6 months of consistent training. I am not trying to dog you our or troll you but these are pretty common novice max numbers I have seen in the gym after a short period of training, just a tad on the high side. Maybe 315 Sq, 185 bench & 335 DL is closer.

Let's do a comparison of the two posted charts for a ~200 lbs. guy.

In the original article the numbers you posted are in the 'strong' category, but nowhere do I find the author stating that they are achievable for beginners in 3-6 months.

Chart 1 - 'Strong' standards.

Squat 330 lbs.
Bench 220 lbs.
DL 350 lbs.

Chart 2 - Kilgor/Rippetoe Intermediate lifter, defined as someone who has trained consistently for a couple of years.

Squat 285
Bench 215
DL 335

The time preiod you posted to achieve those lifts is simply off, and I'm sure guys like Rippetoe have trained thousands of beginners. You need to clarify what you mean by beginner. I'm not sure what type of population pool you're dealing with but very few people who have never lifted before are going to hit the 'strong' numbers in 3-6 months.

If you're consistently seeing those results in that short period of time, you're probably dealing with former lifters who have taken time off and are coming back, teenagers/early 20s, guys who just have natural raw strength, or someone who started their lifting career with a bottle of test.

Mens Strength Standards

I have a pretty strong max for OHP considering my weight, but hitting 2xx would be nearly impossible.

That is, considering strict form. If I were to push press it, in that case I'm sure I could do it within a year or two if I worked towards it.

Mens Strength Standards

Rio: 200, 300, 400, 500 satisfied me for being strong even at my weight. I keep at it but I now feel like I am "there" amongst actual lifters. I'm sure I'm in top 5% of all males in us or higher. That's good enough for my ego. Now it's just about keeping a goal and challenging myself.