rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Your #1 fitness goal for 2014

I thought it would be good to make a thread in which guys can post their #1, top priority fitness goal for the coming year. Then you can check on progress towards the goal as the year goes on and report back at the end of the year or whenever you achieve it.

Two rules:

1. This is just for a single goal -- the one that you consider most important. We all have a number of goals in mind but I think it's useful to force yourself to reflect for a bit and decide which one is the #1 priority. Then you can make sure that if nothing else, you will do what it takes to achieve that one goal. I often see guys say they want to accomplish ten different things, then get overwhelmed or discouraged halfway through and end up not getting anything done.

2. The goal should be difficult but doable. There's no point in saying that you want to do a set of 10 below parallel squats with 600 lbs because it's probably not going to happen. There's also no point in saying that your goal for the year is something you can achieve in a week. It should be something that you can do but that will take some real effort and discipline. And it should be the thing that takes effort and discipline that you think you can gain the most benefit from.

I'll start:

My #1 fitness goal for 2014 is to become much more flexible.

I'm reasonably strong for a weekend warrior, but what is preventing me from getting even stronger is that I have very little flexibility. My musculature is dense and tight. So as I try to break through various barriers, the main thing that's stopping me is little tweaks and minor injuries I get from not having enough flexibility.

This is something I can definitely achieve, but it will take some discipline, because unlike weightlifting, stretching is not something I naturally enjoy -- I find it pretty dull and boring, and it's always annoying to have to add one more thing to your day when it's not something that you are very into (at least initially). But I believe that the benefits of gaining greater flexibility will be disproportionate for me, and in time I might also learn to enjoy the process. So I'm committed to it as my #1 fitness goal for 2014.

Your turn.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

I'm going to do a one-armed pull up in 2014.

It was my goal for 2013, but a shoulder injury that put me out completely for 2 months, and limited my progress for perhaps 2 more, put a dampener on that.

Still, I'm up to 3 reps with 40kg - should be doable from here.

As vague as it is, I'd like to be more defined/ripped by the summer. Every year for about the past 3, probably due to finding more effective diets, I've been at a higher weight by summer but am more defined that I was the year before. This year, I'd like to have about 5 pounds on last year, but be even more ripped. Again, vague, but hey; now I'm accountable!

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

One armed pull-up, one armed push-up. Im going to do it.

Gain 10-15 lbs of muscle.

increase my cardiovascular health/endurance/whatever. Probably by jump rope, hill sprints, hiking + biking (dependent on where I end up living). and as a product of all this cardio I'll be cleaning up my diet and aiming for ~200lbs down from ~225

One armed pull up. I've been trying for more than a year and I'm damn close. The big difference was when I got a dipping belt. It's happening this year!

Get rid of belly fat!

Body fat % is low 20's right now....would like to be around 15. I think at the point the mid section would be flat.

It's going in the right direction, just have to keep at it.

Handstand.

Get to a lean 180# at 6'. Which would be a 15# gain from the 165 I'm at now.

delete

450# dead lift, have been stuck in 405 range for years

Develop upper chest

185lbs at 10% bodyfat.

Bench 315
Squat 405
DL 450+

Get up to 225 lb. Lower by bf as much as possible. Presently 16%, I'd be happy with 12-14% by the end of the year. My goal is to get my lifts up and then I might cut down with a few months of crossfit.

Lift goals (for reps):
Squat 315
OH Press 165
Bench 225
Row 185
DL 405

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Primary goal, be able to do the following for reps (5)

Strict Press 155lbs ---currently this is my 1RM
Bench Press 225lbs ---currently can do 2 or 3 reps
Front Squat 300lbs ---currently not even close to this goal
Sumo Deadlift 350lbs ---currently can do 1 or 2 reps

When achieved, work towards advanced level strength goals:

Strict Press 185lbs
Bench Press 305lbs
Front Squat 405lbs
Sumo Deadlift 480lbs

Increase body weight to 225lbs and maintain it.

Currently weigh 172-175 at 11-13% bf. Want to get to 190 at same bf.

Lifting goals (6 reps): current, goal
Squat - 275, 315
Dead lift - 275, 365 (just started doing deadlifts)
Dumbbell bench - 90, 100
OH barbell - 115, 155

Quote: (12-22-2013 07:09 PM)Alphabrew Wrote:  

One armed pull up. I've been trying for more than a year and I'm damn close. The big difference was when I got a dipping belt. It's happening this year!

Can you elaborate on that? What muscles did the belt strengthen? Did you use the belt for weighted pullups, or also for weighted dips? Did you gain muscle mass, or just get stronger? If you did gain muscle mass, were you eating more (curious if you needed to eat more to elicit hypertrophy, or the inclusion of weighted pullups was enough).

10% or lower bodyfat

Lizard (or anyone else) if you're looking to get flexible in certain areas, PM the details and I can send you some routines, vids, etc.

Got a couple

Be able to bust out handstand pushups like nothing

Build a squat rack and get to 1.5x bodyweight

"Much more flexible" is a nebulous goal. Methinks it would be better to split it into three goals - like "do a shoulder dislocation with arms at shoulder-width apart", "side splits", and "standing straight up, touch ground with palms flat to the floor".

My biggest goals for right now involve pullups and chinups. I never really hit upper body that hard. I suppose a solid goal would be 20 chins or one +1/2x bodyweight chinup.

Handstand pushups are another goal. I want to be able to do ten by next year.

To be stronger at the end of 2014 than I was at the end of 2013.

I am not quite sure if this counts, but one of the biggest things impeding my progress over the past few years has been injuries (Achilles twice, shoulder separation once, tendon in my thumb a couple of times). So, my 2014 goal will be to remain injury free.

As to how to accomplish this: not engage in unnecessarily dangerous activities, not go too gung-ho without being warmed up/fit enough first.

If I can get through 2014 without tearing ligaments or tendons, I will be happy. Anything else is gravy.

A muscle up.

Thirty consecutive dead hang pull ups.

WIA