rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is Gibraltar worth the trip?

The title says it all. I'm close enough for a 2 day trip to work out really well but from the looks of it online I can't tell if this is a happening place or a dead city.

You can work stupid, but you can't fix a fat body.

I once met an Irish dude who claimed he was stabbed there, lol. He said it's ok, but to use common sense and avoid dark areas alone.

I haven't been stabbed yet (can't imagine why). hopefully my luck holds. I'll go there some time just because but the sense of urgency that I need to use to get down there is debatable. I know a bunch of these navy folks go down there to get married because a divorce is easier from there for some reason.

I used to live and work in Gibraltar, it's worth a quick visit but I would not spent 2 days there, you can see it all in a few hours.

Here's a quick run down:

Nightlife
The majority of the bars and pubs are in Casemates square, this seems to be the busiest area. They were not very interesting, crap music, bad food and full of teenagers.
Since I left there has been quite alot of development around the marina and I hear there are some higher end bars and restaurants.

Women
The locals are quite tough to crack because they have a tight knit social circle, not very good looking either. There are loads of expats working there due to the number of online gaming companies, however, they usually live over the border in Spain (La Linea/Algecerias/Puerto Duquesa/Sotogrande) so you wont see them out at night.

Things to do/see
Rock of Gibraltar and the southern most tip, you can see Morocco on a clear day. There are two beaches but they are both dirty.
That's about it, booze, cigarettes, jewelry are cheap so you could stop over for that if interested. Gibraltar has been in the news quite a bit at the moment due to border restrictions so it can take up to an hour to cross over from Spain.

To summarize, it's dull, there are plenty of nearby places in Spain within an hour or two which are much nicer such as Tarifa, Marbella, Ronda, Malaga and Seville. You could even get the ferry over from Algecerias to Morocco.

It's kind of sleepy and expensive, but worth a day trip to see the rock and the town. I didn't see the apes, but would have liked to.

I recommend walking into it from La Linea de la Concepcion, the Spanish town on the border - you walk across the Gibraltar airport runway.

Stay in La Linea, the hotels/pensions/CHs are much cheaper, as is the food.

Definitely worth a day trip. Went earlier this year. Pretty cool to be in British territory while technically in Spain. Didn't get to see any monkeys because of the rain. As far as women, I literally didn't see one attractive one while there. I'd just go there to say I had been to get back across the border to all those beautiful Spanish girls.

Thanks for the intel guys. My plan was to crash a hostel in Spain already so good point. would it take an hour to get in if I went in by foot? Then it's settled do a 2 day there grab some cubans and kick rocks.

Quote: (12-11-2013 10:47 AM)birdrussell Wrote:  

Thanks for the intel guys. My plan was to crash a hostel in Spain already so good point. would it take an hour to get in if I went in by foot? Then it's settled do a 2 day there grab some cubans and kick rocks.

It might even be worse. News from yesterday says it can be up to 2 hours for pedestrians.

If you get a chance to check La Linea, there are some excellent steak restaurants, my favourites were La Pampa and Patagonia. Well priced and excellent meat.
For nightlife, there are lots of bars scattered around, in the main square there is more of a concentration, the most popular is an Irish pub called Molly Blooms which is always packed. On the border road there is a nice bar called Aqua which is a bit higher end.

So maybe party la linea and just poke my head in to see the rock and the monkeys? is la linear where they have all the custom leather shoes?

Quote:Quote:

The locals are quite tough to crack because they have a tight knit social circle, not very good looking either.

So in essence the Gibraltar girls are harder than the average but non London UK girl, while also less good looking than the average UK girl?

Are girls in nearby towns/villages fed up with foreigners or you could do equally well with women in La Linea compared to other places further away from Gibraltar?

I once met an Irish dude who claimed he was stabbed there, lol. He said it's ok, but to use common sense and avoid dark areas alone.

Ridiculous. I've spent some time there. You'd be hard pressed to find a sleepier place, everybody knows everybody. I remember being told that they don't even have a prison. Apart from border disputes with the Spanish and patting down smugglers, I'd imagine Gibraltar policemen have nothing to do.

Also, Gibraltarian girls beat UK girls (excluding London) in terms of looks IMO. More of a genetic melting pot.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Also, Gibraltarian girls beat UK girls (excluding London) in terms of looks IMO. More of a genetic melting pot.

Do you have any idea if Gibraltar girls are slutty? [Image: hump.gif]

Bumping this.

Have possible job offer - would be living in La Linea. A girl I know said I should definitely take the job, as it's close to the summer season and it's apparently awesome then.

I'm still hesitant though. What's it like day to day? Daygame wise, nightlife etc.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

I was there a few years ago during the day. I didn't get a chance to go out gaming so can't speak to that side of the island. I did quite like it as a historical location for a day trip though. Would recommend it for that with no hesitation.

Its quite small though, I could imagine it getting fairly claustrophobic if you were actually living there. Then again you might be getting enough tax perks to make it worthwhile to do for 12 months? It probably depends on your remuneration package.