rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best Countries for Friendship

Datasheets for partying and hooking up abroad are clearly plentiful on this forum.

As I get older I'm realizing that it is becoming harder to make true lasting friendships - particularly with a mobile and international lifestyle. There is often just not enough facetime to dig in roots.

I'm interested in learning which countries, based on your experiences, have people that are genuinely kind and with whom you seem to consistently become great and long lasting friends.

I have not been to Brazil but I have consistently felt that the Brazilian expats I've met abroad are incredibly friendly, warm, and easy to get along with. I could see myself becoming very good friends with Brazilians inside and outside of Brazil.

I get the impression that this may be a Latino thing and not just a Brazilian thing.

I bet Asia is a difficult nut to crack for people who are not ethnically Asian. Xenophobia is ingrained into the culture.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

-

I find myself befriending other expats usually.
Africans, Asians, Europeans, Latin Americans...all friends of mine as expats....but harder to befriend in country.

Expats are some of the most open and free-thinking populations out there, so they lack to barriers you often find with locals.

I always found Germans to be really good friends, they may not be that out going and gregarious at first but if you make a German friend, its a friendship that will last, very solid people.

Oh, also, I've never met an Irish expat I did not like.

I've rarely met Australians that I did not find abrasive.

Quote: (12-04-2013 09:52 AM)scotian Wrote:  

I always found Germans to be really good friends, they may not be that out going and gregarious at first but if you make a German friend, its a friendship that will last, very solid people.

I've also gotten this impression from Nordic countries in general, minus Russia.

I've also found that the trajectory for becoming friends is very similar for Americans and Brits. That's just my impression though.

if you make a German friend, its a friendship that will last, very solid people.

Same with Scandinavians, in my experience.

"The great secret of happiness in love is to be glad that the other fellow married her." – H.L. Mencken

Personally I choose guys who are together. It severely limits my pool of true friends. Outside of that I want guys who have my back, even if they aren't together dudes they are still a good time. Finally anyone who keeps their word can be a my friend.

With these traits I find black guys, some guys who are into cage fighting/martial arts, and scandinavian guys make the best friends. They are most likely to be together dudes, they will all step into a situation of violent insanity without hesitation, and value keeping your word. They also seem to be the guys with the most game.

This is the second or third time that I think about a thread and you create exactly the same thread haha (I was thinking more, what nationality of males makes the best friends?)

I have to go with spanish cats (Straight from Spain). The spanish cats that I have met abroad were always cool as fuck. Super social, talk to everybody (none of that sense of superiority) and I usually connect pretty well with them. The person that I hang out the most from this forum is a spanish cat, super cool cat.

Second, probably black americans. The most educated brothers out there. Highly into women, tend to be approaching machines, ambitious, they tend to have very good jokes, etc Of course I am talking about the most educated ones, not just any black american.

I have also met some cool cats from Argentina (Funny enough, I always used to think that I wouldn't connect with them).

In general, I would say expats always tend to make better friends. They have been more exposed and they are just totally different from a person who has never been abroad. Like my friends in the UK that never left and have no interest in doing so, because they think the UK is the greatest country ever smh

Quote: (12-04-2013 09:58 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

I've also gotten this impression from Nordic countries in general, minus Russia.

I've also found that the trajectory for becoming friends is very similar for Americans and Brits. That's just my impression though.

What are the worst countries for friendship than are to be avoided?

Why do you say minus Russia?

What is your opinion of Russians/Ukrainians as friends?

Scandinavias are always happy and later confused when they are called a "friend" by an American but later rejected because they start responding.

A Finnish friend will stab people for you.

I've experienced Italians with great fraternal bonds but these can also be severed quickly in a wrong move (like over a woman).

Asians I've found to also go to the grave for you, but they are very subtle about it. You won't see much conscious recognition of it.

As an american on a euro tour, I found myself getting along best with guys from the UK. There are lots of commonalities for cultural understanding, and enough differences that made us interesting to each other.

Not to mention they have the best humor & wit out there.

I'd say that the English/Irish are typically some of the coolest and most laid back dudes I meet traveling, and usually are fun to hang out with and have a good sense of humor, but ofcourse every person is different and you got to take it on a case by case basis. Of all the countries I've traveled to I would say that Brazilians do seem to be very friendly, cool, and easy going, I rarely meet them traveling in the U.S. or abroad, but I did make friends with them pretty easily when I traveled there, especially the ones from Sao Paulo.

I got to agree with YMG about the Aussies being "abrasive" I have met a handful of cool ones that almost changed my opinion, but overall they tended to be arrogant and obnoxious pricks, on the other hand the New Zealanders were some of the most chilled out, humble, and laid back people I've met.

I'll also add that I haven't really met too many cool Germans, they always seemed kind of socially awkward, cold, and somewhat "mechanical", the scandanavians I met were the same way too. The absolute worst though have got to be the French! I've only met one cool French guy in my life, he was chilling at this rooftop hostel bar in Chaing Mai, he was partially handicapped and walked with a cane, I was blazing some shit Thai ganja with an American ex-pat I had met in BKK, the French guy asked to join us, and was very cool, when I told him he was the only cool French person I met he laughed and was amicable about my opinion of the French being pricks.

Of course case by case.

But in my experience:

1. Americans (from the right hoods. Non-Zanesville, of course)
2. Australians, Canadians, Irish, English (in that order but close)
3. French

That is strange that people found Australians "abrasive" and "arrogant".

I thought from my point of view, they seemed really "non-abrasive" and "non-arrogant".

Strange.

I've made great friendships in every country I've been too.

Friendships are not about country, they are about connection.

Drop me on anywhere on the map and I will make friends.

I feel like Americans and Australians get along really well. I almost always enjoy meeting an australian dude. They tend to have a super chill vibe, like having a good time, etc.

I want to go to Australia.

I'm no fan of Aussies either. I've so far never met an Italian guy that I've taken a liking to - they're the definition of "abrasive" and "arrogant".

The people I tend to get along with are the British. Spanish and Latino guys tend to be cool as well.

The French are very hit and miss IMO, either they're really cool guys or right twats.

Quote: (12-04-2013 03:33 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Even Zanesville?

It's funny, I find people from big cities to be friendlier than people from smaller towns/cities.

I think it's because in big cities everyone's looking to advance themselves career wise, financially, personally, etc, so they're more open to bullshitting any outsider who seems to have his shit together. From smaller towns people are cliquey, have known everyone since grade school and are perfectly content with their station in life so they don't give a fuck about being friendly to an outsider.

I don't know...anyone else find this to be true?

Quote: (12-04-2013 04:11 PM)Pyre Wrote:  

It's funny, I find people from big cities to be friendlier than people from smaller towns/cities.

I think it's because in big cities everyone's looking to advance themselves career wise, financially, personally, etc, so they're more open to bullshitting any outsider who seems to have his shit together. From smaller towns people are cliquey, have known everyone since grade school and are perfectly content with their station in life so they don't give a fuck about being friendly to an outsider.

I don't know...anyone else find this to be true?

Completely disagree.

In my experience people from smaller towns tend to be friendlier. People from the capital city are always less friendly.

Quote: (12-04-2013 04:03 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (12-04-2013 03:33 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Even Zanesville?

Of course.

I will talk about college football, the military, the tea party, how to make gravy, and how Obama is a commie.

I have family in the Midwest. I know how to connect with those folk..

I made many great friends in Colombia.

People talk a lot of shit about Colombians sometimes, acting like they're all hustlers, but if you actually speak Spanish and live there, and go in good faith, you can meet many great people who are warm and welcoming.

I think part of the reason people talk shit on Colombians is that, honestly, many people who go there don't really speak Spanish and are only there for chicks, and never really have any interest in getting involved in real life in Colombia.

Aussies - Gotten along very well with them while traveling throughout Europe..though I haven't experienced the abrasive ones in Koh Phanang yet...

Brits - Pretty cool for the most part...though the ones in Eastern Europe I tend to avoid.

German - Stiff demeanor but very sincere people that make great friends. Lots of substance.

Western Polish - Western Polish dudes tend to be cool. I can't remember actually getting cockblocked..ok maybe one guy, but others tried showing me a good time while trying to play wingman during my visit in May 2012. Great discussions & bonding with them.

Slovak - Outgoing dudes, polite, and welcoming.

Hungarian - Lot of polite older folks 40+, but the young people in general are very cliquish & get on my nerves. Even have an American friend of Hungarian descent who agreed with me whether it be the new money or just everyday young person there.

Spanish - Outside of Barcelona, very cool people. I remember getting lot of dirty looks from the Catalan crowd as Asians there are perceived as pretty inferior least from my experiences. Rest of Spain totally legit though this was from interactions from locals & transplants in Madrid.

Serbs - Very cool outgoing people. The women are a tough nut I couldn't figure out, but random mixed sets and guys would invite me to have a drink or eat with them if they saw me out alone in Belgrade. Even bought me food or drinks too even though I insisted no.

Mexico - Very cool folks out in DF. The fact that we like pursuing Latinas gives us even more common ground. I'm classified as "Chinito" down there, but in....

Brazil - I'm considered "Japones." I get the benefit of the doubt when I'm in any part of Brazil because they are very curious about Asian people. As some alluded to, they can be quite cliquish and roll in their packs, but the best way to crack them is to talk to some random guys while asking a question, which should result in being introduced to their crew and most importantly the chicks...Portuguese almost a must though.

Kiwis - absolutely outstanding guys, a lot with red pill tendencies, met quite a few in the UK and Europe.

Croats - guys are really cool, friendly and will talk about anything

Americans - you treat us Brits well

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Quote: (12-04-2013 10:31 AM)TriSexual Wrote:  

Quote: (12-04-2013 09:58 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

What are the worst countries for friendship than are to be avoided?

Why do you say minus Russia?

What is your opinion of Russians/Ukrainians as friends?

I grew up around Russians in New York and have met a lot of them in my travels. I've basically never had good experiences with or around them. They seem like cold and abrasive people.

I could be totally wrong, of course.

Quote: (12-04-2013 11:30 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Scandinavias are always happy and later confused when they are called a "friend" by an American but later rejected because they start responding.

A Finnish friend will stab people for you.

I've experienced Italians with great fraternal bonds but these can also be severed quickly in a wrong move (like over a woman).

Asians I've found to also go to the grave for you, but they are very subtle about it. You won't see much conscious recognition of it.

Yes, your comment about Asians is spot on - very subtle but they will drop everything they are doing to help you out if you ask. Simultaneously, they will expect you to do the same.

Finns will stab people for you, eh? I was in Helsinki for a week. Finland is an interesting country.