rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting short term work visa for US- ideas

I am an Irish Citizen working in Canada on an IEC visa (International Experience Canada).

I have been offered a pretty cool job in New Orleans starting March of next year. Ill be managing one of the bars/restaurants in the uptown area. It coincides nicely with the spring break up season of drilling (annual stoppage of work from around mid-March to mid-summer).

Problem is I have no idea what visa I can swing to get down there.

I have used a J1 to work in the States before but that's when I was an Irish university student.

I tempted to just get a visitors visa and just work for cash.

Anyone know of some way of getting a visa that would be suitable?

Also cant wait to party in New Orleans!!![Image: banana.gif]

I'm taking a trip to my birth city, NO next year, so I'll hit you up and stop by your bar if you work out the visa angle.

Good city to party in. Fun fly chicks, bomb food and laid back vibe.

Sounds good man!

[Image: attachment.jpg15726]   

Sorry, had to. [Image: angel.gif]

With immigration issues I'd recommend a lawyer. The U.S. got real hokie post 9/11. It's a pay system here with the legal system. The legal eagles here may be able to point you into the right direction, or recommend a firm.

edit-actually, a lot of Irish pubs here hire Irish staff for the ambiance, and handle the visas. Like Ri Rah's.

If you're an Irish citizen, do you even need a visa to enter as a tourist?

Just go in as a tourist, and have a backstory ready, like have a return ticket in a week's time (that you'll cancel or you got cheaply and can just waste), hotel reservation, etc.

I came here on a 2 year J1 internship visa 10 years ago. I was already out of school, but only barely (6 months after). Not sure what are the exact rules, but might be something to look into. And I had shorter term (summer) J1 visas the 2 years preceding my final departure.

OP, you can't do that kind of work on a tourist visa, not legally anyway. The only way to do it would be to have the employer petition you but I'm not sure which category would be appropriate since bar tending is not a "skilled" trade. By that I mean it takes more than two years of training of apprenticeship to become a professional. The Irish angle is interesting, maybe if the visa was a P which is for performers or models. They would argue they are hiring you for good looks and Irish brogue due to their business model. The actual duties may not matter. Check with a lawyer to be sure.

SVK, I hope you have done something to adjust status and become a green card holder. If you haven't, o would highly recommend that you never leave the US unless you are deported. Once you exit, you will need a new visa to re-enter and you probably won't get it. In addition, if they figure out the overstay you'll be banned from entering the US for ten years from the date of your last exit. I've run across quite a few people who were living illegally and built a nice little life for themselves then they go to their home country for a wedding, funeral, etc and they are SOL. Also, try not to get arrested, anything that puts you on law enforcement radar is bad news.

Runninutebball

Paninaro, Irish citizens get visa waiver but visa waiver entries are only allowed to remain for 90 days. If the same person applies for a b1/b2 (tourist) visa, they can stay up to six months legally. Of course, they would have to convince an embassy officer that their need to stay beyond 90 days is legit. If you apply and you are refused the tourist visa, you are no longer eligible for visa waiver for a while so is a risk.