rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time's 'Gods of Food': Women chefs talk back

The food world is buzzing a little over this article in Time called "Gods of Food" that highlighted the major innovators in the food world right now. It was a well-done article and the guys they mention really are pushing food into new and uncharted territory.

Of course, there's been a huge backlash that there weren't any women included in the "gods of food". And rightly so. Any noteworthy restaurant in the world is run by male chefs, with very few exceptions.

Here's the liberal LA Times article: http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la...z2kevfvWZT

And here's a hilarious article on Eater.com:
http://eater.com/archives/2013/11/13/hot...urants.php

Best quote:
Quote:Quote:

It's our responsibility as restaurateurs to support our community, and to support women.

This is fucking shameful. I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of talented female cooks and chefs out there. But in 100% of those cases, they were mentored or taught by men. You can't even write an article extolling the brilliance of male innovators anymore without a giant backlash and an entire movement of women demanding their gold star.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Imagine you had come out with a list of the ten tallest people on Earth, and they were all men. If someone was outraged by it, that no women were on it, the natural thing to do is... Find women who belong on that list, find the Miss who is taller than #10 on the list.

And if there is no such miss, then the list is true and you have no point.

In the LA Times article, there isn't even a reference to any metric of chef quality that would suggest discrimination against women - only that women don't appear on the list, as in my height analogy. Of course, chef quality is far more hard to pin down than height. But the feminists aren't even trying. The natural conclusion is that feminists want to obscure the truth so that we believe in equality, regardless of the evidence.

Quote: (11-14-2013 06:12 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Imagine you had come out with a list of the ten tallest people on Earth, and they were all men. If someone was outraged by it....

....then you'd have our modern day Olympics.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of talented female cooks and chefs out there.

Not to mention fucking fine.

[Image: 479936_491861587496057_76020778_n.jpg]

Chef Sandra Cordero. Her accent is so fucking sexy! Half Spanish and half Dutch. I'm in love [Image: hump.gif]

EDIT- Please tell me you met her Dude. I'm sure she's in the LA area.

I just tried to look up this article, being genuinely curious about who the "gods of food" actually are, but 12 of the 13 websites that appear on the google search page are from women bitching about inequality.

The article itself was 4th on the list. Unbelievable.

Women bake cupcakes, they do not cook.

You can't swing your arms without hitting a female baker with some shitty shop selling calorie bombs to Lulu lemon types. No better then the crack pusher from Watts in the 70's she knows her job is easy and just is giving the people what they want.

I've dated women that owned or taught me in the kitchen. That's 4-5 out of very many. Most of it was regional specific foods.

This quote caught my attention:

I feel like people are always talking about how women need to network and raise other women up. But are you saying that this is a responsibility of the whole community?

I mean, sure. But, more specifically, it should be our responsibility to support each other. And especially, the one thing that is more tricky, I will say, is getting young women into our kitchens. It just doesn't happen as much. There's much fewer opportunities to mentor young women because they don't come through the kitchen as much. But when I see them, I know we have to take them, and take care of them, and make them part of the industry because it's an easy industry to drop out of pretty early.

Ohhhhhh no but surely this would be discriminatory!

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Quote: (11-14-2013 04:55 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

And here's a hilarious article on Eater.com:
http://eater.com/archives/2013/11/13/hot...urants.php

"Chefs Weigh In: Women and the Restaurant Industry"

[Image: confused.gif]

[Image: sara-jenkins-hot-topics.jpg]

As long as men supply the bottom and top 5-10% of anything, women should shut up.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote: (11-14-2013 08:06 PM)dreambig Wrote:  

This quote caught my attention:

I feel like people are always talking about how women need to network and raise other women up. But are you saying that this is a responsibility of the whole community?

I mean, sure. But, more specifically, it should be our responsibility to support each other. And especially, the one thing that is more tricky, I will say, is getting young women into our kitchens. It just doesn't happen as much. There's much fewer opportunities to mentor young women because they don't come through the kitchen as much. But when I see them, I know we have to take them, and take care of them, and make them part of the industry because it's an easy industry to drop out of pretty early.

Ohhhhhh no but surely this would be discriminatory!

Legally speaking, no. Not unless they displace minorities.

Men are the only non-protected class in the US, so according to the Supreme Court, intentionally hiring women in place of men is an appropriate remedy to the EVIL patriarchy.

I'm the King of Beijing!

A commercial kitchen, especially at a top-end establishment, is a far cry from baking cupcakes at home on a sunday afternoon.

Hot, sweaty, dirty conditions.
Pressing timelines.
High standards of preparation and presentation required.
Working in close quarters with other people under pressure.
Long and unusual working hours that leave little time for social life, except with other hospitality workers.
Shithouse $$$$

With this in mind, it's little wonder that most of those who tough it out long enough to rise to the top, are men. Well, little wonder to you and I, that is.

I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of talented female cooks and chefs out there. But in 100% of those cases, they were mentored or taught by men.

Women can do anything that a man can do, as long as a man first shows her how.

It's painful reading this outrage and all the supporting articles for it. I've spent time in the trenches in some heavy-hitter restaurants and none of the rhetoric that's being volleyed around is remotely true. It pains me to see respected male chefs pull a mangina stance as well.

Are there some very talented female cooks and chefs? Hell yes. But 95% of the time they're aggressive, butch, overweight girls. In other words, it's only because of their masculine qualities that they're able to keep up. And they are a tiny, TINY minority.

Line cooking at a high level is very fucking hard. It's harder than most jobs. It takes a certain type of guy that can withstand the mental and physical stress, the long hours, the sometimes dismal lifestyle. It takes an even more extreme type of girl that can withstand it. There's a reason the vast majority of women get stuck in pastry work or the pantry (cold station). Out of all the restaurants with a hot saute station, or pasta station, or grill station, I would say that less than 1% of the cooks running those stations are women.

And that's just line cooking. That's the easy part. Then you have to become a sous chef, then a chef de cuisine, and then finally an executive chef. Not only do you need serious skill on the line, but on top of that you need to be able to manage effectively and keep your cool under stress. It's the ultimate mind-fuck (and why I love it)

When you get to the upper echelon of chefs; the michelin starred guys, the guys that run restaurants on the Pellegrino Top 50 list, you're talking about an entire lifetime of devotion and obsession that very few humans possess, let alone women. To say they deserve to be anywhere near the top is just brutal dishonesty.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Supporting and coddling women isn't equality.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (11-14-2013 10:10 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of talented female cooks and chefs out there. But in 100% of those cases, they were mentored or taught by men.

Women can do anything that a man can do, as long as a man first shows her how.

To this day I've never met a women "skilled" at anything that a man did not hunker down and teach her.

My friend is a well known photog know after her old beta bf spent hours teaching her how to take and edit photos. He's skilled himself (more than her of course) but his reserved nature has not given him the accolades that his ex has received

Is the original article available online anywhere without a subscription? I'd be interested in reading it.

What's fucking weird is that the article "Gods of Food" *does* include multiple women.

Going through Time, *four* of the people profiled for the piece are women: Amrita Patel, Aida Batlle, Vandana Shiva, and Ertharin Cousin.

OK, none of these are chefs - but the article was about major figures who deal with food issues, not just culinary wizards.

Is that not enough? Apparently not.

Show me an alpha in the kitchen that was alpha on the battefield. Learn what the knife block means.

Cooking "guru"s are faggots. Show me wrong.

Quote: (11-14-2013 08:02 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I've dated women that owned or taught me in the kitchen. That's 4-5 out of very many. Most of it was regional specific foods.

Ignore this. I'll compile better data, but those # were based on american bishes.