rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What do you do when you're sick?

Obviously it depends how sick you are but say you have the common cold or even the flu or something. Do you lie in bed all day and eat soup? Or do you tough it out and continue doing what you do normally, including going to the gym?

I have zero motivation to do anything. My day consists of browsing the internet and sleeping. Since i'm not too sick, my diet hasn't changed. I should probably read a book...

Sleep.

If you're bored drop some Data Sheets for the forum.

Apple cider vinegar
Ascorbic acid crystals
Cayenne pepper
Matza ball soup
Lemon/lime juice
Plenty of h2o.
Sleep

Mix the vitamin C crystals, cayenne, lemon juice, and water together and drink first thing in the morning. Avoid any otc meds unless its unbearable.

I get up and still go to work, but will cut out fitness and drinking.

edit- the bug you have is gonna run its course regardless, and I'd rather stay on my feet than lying in bed feeling it. A little activity will help take your mind off it.

Quote: (11-08-2013 06:27 PM)XYZ Wrote:  

Obviously it depends how sick you are but say you have the common cold or even the flu or something. Do you lie in bed all day and eat soup? Or do you tough it out and continue doing what you do normally, including going to the gym?

I have zero motivation to do anything. My day consists of browsing the internet and sleeping. Since i'm not too sick, my diet hasn't changed. I should probably read a book...

Get as much rest as possible. Do not work out. Eat soup because it is easier for your body to digest and the extra energy normally spent on digesting solid food instead goes toward your recovery. Take supplements that strengthen your immune system, as mentioned by Ali. Do not drink alcohol because it lowers your immune system. Going to work (unless necessary) or to the gym will spread your illness to other people.

Once you're sick, you take medicine and then there isn't much else to do. Do as little as possible. Sleep, watch some films, eat well, drink water.

However, the best is to not get ill in the first place. Most important is to not touch your face when out. Public transportation is the worst. Press that button and you're getting a lot of bacteria. Wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face.

I tough it out. Unfortunately for us blue collars, taking a day off means no pay.

I still go to the gym, but since my body's resources are partly being used to fight off whatever i have, I reduce the weight and the intensity of the workout. From my personal experience, the healing process accelerates when i continue to go to the gym and sweat it out.

Steam room is a big help as well.

In addition to all standard healing activities? Browse internet, play games, read, sleep a bit extra or just lay in bed and do some relaxed breathing. I don't feel the need to push myself because it will slow down my recovery. If I'm feeling well, I'll also cook something easy to serve so that I have it for when my sickness gets worse and I am unable to cook or do much other than wander around like a zombie. I find thick fish soup (with lots of rice) to be great for this purpose and very healthy.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

If I have a girlfriend I make her take care of me, and I milk it for EVERYTHING its worth. Even w/ just a temp of 99.1, and one stopped up nostril, she will think I was [Image: puke.gif] all night, uncontrollable [Image: shudder.gif] , an elevated [Image: heart.gif] beat, feeling [Image: blush.gif] and a pounding [Image: mindblown.gif]

I'll work to the point she's changing the game disk in my Xbox console, which is only 15 feet away from the couch. [Image: evil.gif]

It depends what I have but I usually fast or eat only raw foods if I do eat. Cooked foods lack live enzymes therefore your body has to work to produce them which takes away from healing and getting better.

Bone broth is great too.

I also take ascorbic acid (vitamin c) crystals in water if its a cold.

In the wild, animals who are sick just lay down until they get better. They sleep a lot and don't eat much.

That's what I do.

You can also pipeline girls online and run some heavy text message game.

I usually drink a bunch of cranberry juice and watch "The Departed" for the hundredth time.

Sleep/lie in bed watching comedies.

I usually go to work, though I have to dose myself with a lot of pills.

I never workout when ill, previous experience has shown me that even mild exercise will always make my illness worse and will prolong it.

strong ginger tea gives some immediate relief.

Lots of vitamin C, about 500mg x3 a day. Also plenty of magnesium and zinc.

It's too late but to bear in mind for the future: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

To build up your immunity you can use mild stressors such as cold showers/baths, regular HIT exercise and intermittent fasting.

Though as it has been stated as above, reduce all stressors (both physical and mental) until your immune system gets rid of the current bug it's dealing with.

Try to stay active

Quote: (11-09-2013 12:09 AM)Hades Wrote:  

I usually drink a bunch of cranberry juice and watch "The Departed" for the hundredth time.

thats a high value activity. what a great movie.

As others have said, prevention is the best cure. But if a virus has got a hold of me, I:

1. Take a single megadose of VitD - about 50,000 IU.

2. Vit C crystals, up to 3g or more per day.

3. Up to 100mg/day zinc, preferably in the form of lozenges. Sucked slowly, the zinc ions coat the throat and stop viruses adhering.

4. DON'T take paracetamol (acetaminophene). It lowers your temperature, but you want a high temperature - that's your body trying to kill off the virus. It gives you a headache and you feel shit, but it's a necessary part of the immune system's defence.

5. If it really takes hold, do steam inhalations to moisten and clean out your nasal passages.

6. Lots of liquids, of course.

I am the world's worst patient. I HATE being ill so much and I moan and groan and feel like dying when it happens, but with the above measures (plus prevention) I don't get seriously ill very often.

I have had a sore throat for a week now.

Any advice??? :-(

@Cardguy: I recommend that you visit your family medicine (general practicioner?) doctor for opinion and go for a throat/nostril swab so that they can discover if you have a bacterial or viral infection (or both) and recommend adequate countermeasures (antibiotics in case of bacteria, more intense rest and waiting in case of virus, so not to harm yourself by taking unnecessary antibiotics).

I've recently been sick for a week (with high fever most of the time despite spamming Paracetamol) due to a rare combination of streptococcal pharyngitis AND flu at the same time. I was cured only when I started using a combination of Sumamed (also known as Azithromicyn) and Voltaren (Diclofenac) suppositories.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Thank you! good advice on this thread

Hot soup sometimes with ganja butter, then put on a fleece cap, lie in bed under blankets and listen to stand up comedy

For a flu or a cold this always clears up any congestion and puts me in a better mood: Boil lemongrass and ginger in a large pot, cover it with the lid and place it on the floor wrapped in a towel to protect my legs. Sit down with the pot in front and throw one or two blankets over to create a 'sweat lodge', crack the lid to release the steam, closing as necessary to control heat. Stay inside until the water begin to cool then shower followed by the above routine.

Quote: (11-09-2013 03:36 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

I have had a sore throat for a week now.

Any advice??? :-(

I use Manuka honey when I get even the first hint of a sore throat.

More often than not, it goes away.

This stuff is amazing, has some really unique antiseptic properties. Its main medicinal use is actually as a topical antiseptic -- it's been known to cure cases of MRSA or other bacterial infections that are resistant to antibiotics.

It comes from a plant that grows in New Zealand. A fascinating substance.

http://www.amazon.com/Manuka-Health-MGO-...nuka+honey

You want the highest MGO one, this one is 550+ MGO.

If you're feeling sick: just eat it from the jar using a teaspoon and make sure you let it dissolve slowly in your mouth and throat. Don't drink anything for a while afterwards so as not to wash it away.

I really like how it tastes, too.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Quote: (11-09-2013 08:04 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-09-2013 12:09 AM)Hades Wrote:  

thats a high value activity. what a great movie.

The original Hong Kong version is just as good -- "Infernal Affairs."

I remember watching "The Departed" when it was released and thinking "I've seen this movie before."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564/

If I have a sore throat I gargle with salt water 3 times a day at least.

Drink lots of water as hot as I can handle.

Plenty of rest/sleep. When not sleeping I do deep breathing exercises.

Megadoses of Vitamin D, C

Zinc

If I have to work then I take something with psuedoephedrine in it.

I notice that when I'm getting sick I don't piss as much so I try to drink a ton of fluids (water, green tea, light colored pops as sprite or 7up) when I feel something coming on. I imagine it as flushing the sickness out of my body. I also love to hit the sauna. I know theoretically it's terrible to dehydrate your body while it's combatting a sickness but I feel much better after "sweating it out."