rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fukushima

Fukushima

Anyone considering this as a world-changing event? It could very well be the biggest event of our lifetimes.

My opinion is that it's way bigger than your average person in the US understands, and that if you have the motivation, it might be worth making life changes (moving if you live on the Pacific Coast, etc) before chaos ensues.

Could be wrong on this though, which is the point of this thread. Anyone have any info or opinions?

Fukushima

Can you give us the cliffs notes?

It is a hour long video.

Fukushima

Fear mongering by the anti nuclear hippies.
We don't need more paranoia over nuclear energy, fusion is our future need to invest in it.
You get more radiation and pollution from coal plants and other sources in day to day life.

Fukushima

A man who knows his odds might want to take note of what lies ahead for the Pacific Ocean.

Long story short, I would not be investing in property in California at this time.

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 01:10 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Can you give us the cliffs notes?

It is a hour long video.

Sorry about that. That's just a sample video of one of the views being expressed. He says it's the end of the Pacific Ocean and pretty much the end of the world as we know it. Then there are views such as Emancipator's. It's difficult to get a real picture through the fog. We could muddle through. But if there is a panic building below the surface that could break through at any moment, that's something that might be worth working around before it happens.

If there is a giant die-off in the Pacific Ocean, that's not going to be corralled as an anti-nuke hippie concern issue.

Fukushima

^^ The panic button is smaller coast animals and fish with shorter generation windows compeletly being fried from this. Tumors and radiation levels are off the charts for fish caught in the directional currents. Polar bears whom are near the northern currents are being fucked up too. Humans are ignorant and think it won't hurt us like it does the animals.

Quote: (11-08-2013 01:18 PM)Emancipator Wrote:  

Fear mongering by the anti nuclear hippies.
We don't need more paranoia over nuclear energy, fusion is our future need to invest in it.
You get more radiation and pollution from coal plants and other sources in day to day life.

We're past that now.

Considering how serious it all is you would think it would be on the front pages of newspapers....

I've been following this event for years now, I stopped reading up on it so much because the evidence is to great and large. And like all shut that isn't "mainstream" or is pegged as being a "conspiracy theory" you kind of get fatigued and really stop giving a fuck unless it affects your personally. Got laughed out of class twice, papers rejected, etc, because nobody was trying to hear this shit.

Even David Suzuki is trying to get the word out now. To many smart people are swallowing their pride and looking at this critically. If Japan gets hit with another earthquake/storm of a certain magnitude (which there is 85% chance off) that last parts of the plant are cooked. Plant 4 mow sits as a apacolyptic time bomb, if that thing goes its a game changer and becones a global crisis insttantly. It's so bad to the point THE WHOLE ISLAND OF JAPAN WILL BECOME UNINHABITABLE. Wtf?! How do you relocate a whole nation of people ? Like its completely off the charts here and it's a clear example of humans arrogance towards science.

Humans have been given the blessings of intelligence but the flaw of being completely
moronic and ignorant at the same time. We're the dumbest and smartest things around and Fukishima shows humans at our best in both instances.

Either they were staunch pro nuclear (which I am if DONE RIGHT), or to blind to think TEPCO would be so evil to throw the whole Pacific Rim under the bus to save their own asses.

Look it's simple logic here and anybody from EE can understand. Chernobyl when that thing blew its lid it had generational impacts on the Ukraine and parts of the FSU. Cancer rates shot through the fuking roof and it became a slow kill death for many in the region.

Now Fukishima was at least 5-6 times MORE powerful then Chernobyl .... In one plant. There are 5 of them I believe and 4 are leaking shit so draw the conclusions as you wish.

This might be the biggest coverup in our generation. All these officials are doing is trying to buy time to save them from being raped in courts, stripped of money, or shamed into knowing they microwaved half the earth and it's people.

Cali is getting douced with major amounts of radiation daily. The USA Gov has shut of its detection meters after they "adjusted" them because they keep going off the charts. This is a problem that will manifest 10-15 years from now, nobody wants to take ownership of it. When Cancer rates shoot up, and all people responsible will be dead or as far away from the problem as they can be.

People on the coast just take some time to research and educate yourself on the problem. It's going to pose serious health issues for the area long term and to put it bluntly. You, or somebody close to you has a extremely high chance of getting sick down the road.

For Nuclear energy...
if your doing top of the line people bed reactors that they are building in China then yes. Japan got sold the shit models from GE back in the day and is exclusively stocked running old ass relics on their island. America has some newer generation ones but I believe nothing new in America has web built since the early 80's since because of limbo, politics, and red tape in America: Building a Nuclear Reactor has become the most expensive and resource intensive project you can do. Just to dig a shovel your shitting out 10billion, estimates put the cost of America retro-fitting it's Nuclear plants at around 10Trillion. Since America is broke its no surprise now that even many of their plants are leaking and will face the same vulnerabilities as Fukishima. If anything it's more with officials saying that Americas risk for a major leak is greater than what Fukishima was and 75% of American plants have already had partial leaks already.

The technology to do it right exsists but everybody in the West is to cheap to do it and f you can't do it right the first time you can't do it all.

Fukushima

That's good info Kosko. I'm leaning towards this thing being very, very bad.

Fukushima

Ten, twenty years from now when nobody's died from Fukushima, nobody will remember these prophecies of doom.

Meanwhile, people die everyday from inhaling pollution from coal plants, but thats not as sexy as dying from radiation so nobody cares. A man dies of a heart attack, everybody assumes it's because he didn't take care of himself. Sometimes, but it can also be the result of air pollution.

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 02:33 PM)kosko Wrote:  

For Nuclear energy...
if your doing top of the line people bed reactors that they are building in China then yes. Japan got sold the shit models from GE back in the day and is exclusively stocked running old ass relics on their island.

Sh*t, GE can't even make a dishwasher.

I have one. It sucks.

Fukushima

As long as no critical doses are reached, nobody will give a shit. Despite being poisoned very slowly.
Still, every hunter in Bavaria has to check the wild game for radiation. The activity has to be below 600 Bq/kg, anything above that is not allowed for consumption

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Fukushima

Theraspid can you provide some info or facts to back up what you are saying?

Fukushima

Japan: elderly engineers want 'final mission' to Fukushima[Image: icon_worship.gif]

"More than 160 nuclear and civil engineers over the age of 60 are planning to set up a Skilled Veterans Corps to assist restoring control over crucial cooling functions at the tsunami-hit nuclear power plant.
Decades of professional engineering expertise combined with a desire to protect younger workers from radiation exposure have united the elderly workers in a desire to help fix the plant.
The idea was masterminded by Yasuteru Yamada, 72, a retired engineer formerly working in plant construction, who was alarmed by reports of young subcontractors, some unskilled in this field, undertaking the high-risk work.
"We shouldn't leave the work only to young engineers," he said. "Young people, especially those who have children in future, should not be exposed to radiation." More than 1,000 people, including young subcontractors, are currently working in sensitive conditions at Fukushima in an on-going bid to restore control at the damaged six-reactor plant."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...shima.html

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

Fukushima

It's not that I'm not trying to hear this shit, but...

Every time you try to find facts regarding this stuff, it just turns into a never ending circle-jerk of unfalsifiable arguments.

I'm done with this conspiracy bullshit. If this dude wants to present truth then bring me some official fucking documents/communications of government officials instead of another shitty YouTube video saying the world's going to end for the 5 millionth fucking time.

Fair?

"Despite their numbers, their pussyness means I was barely hurt. 2 black eyes and a cut nose, no big deal. I could sense the fear in them so as they were walking I chased them down and told them to "go home". They all left like little girls." - Revelations 21:4

Fukushima

I'm with Apollo on this.

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 04:08 PM)Kingsley Davis Wrote:  

Japan: elderly engineers want 'final mission' to Fukushima[Image: icon_worship.gif]

"More than 160 nuclear and civil engineers over the age of 60 are planning to set up a Skilled Veterans Corps to assist restoring control over crucial cooling functions at the tsunami-hit nuclear power plant.
Decades of professional engineering expertise combined with a desire to protect younger workers from radiation exposure have united the elderly workers in a desire to help fix the plant.
The idea was masterminded by Yasuteru Yamada, 72, a retired engineer formerly working in plant construction, who was alarmed by reports of young subcontractors, some unskilled in this field, undertaking the high-risk work.
"We shouldn't leave the work only to young engineers," he said. "Young people, especially those who have children in future, should not be exposed to radiation." More than 1,000 people, including young subcontractors, are currently working in sensitive conditions at Fukushima in an on-going bid to restore control at the damaged six-reactor plant."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...shima.html

See? Is logic really so hard? That's an honorable thing that they're doing. Can you imagine anything like that happening over here?

Fukushima

Anyone still remember the BP oil spill that was supposed to permanently destroy the entire Gulf ecosystem?

You don't hear much about it lately, because the Gulf has recovered faster than the optimists believed possible and is thriving as much as ever if not more.

Fukushima will be remembered as a non-event. If you know a little physics, the idea that there can be significant excess radiation from it as far away as Cali is ludicrous. Not only that, there will likely be no deaths attributable to it in Japan. That's right -- the total casualty count of Fukushima will probably stand at a round 0 when all is said and done, as Therapsid correctly noted in his post.

Finally, I don't understand why anyone would cite David Suzuki as an authority on this or anything else. He is a fanatical environmentalist fearmonger who would use any and all means to achieve his lunatic goals.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 05:53 PM)Apollo Wrote:  

It's not that I'm not trying to hear this shit, but...

Every time you try to find facts regarding this stuff, it just turns into a never ending circle-jerk of unfalsifiable arguments.

I'm done with this conspiracy bullshit. If this dude wants to present truth then bring me some official fucking documents/communications of government officials instead of another shitty YouTube video saying the world's going to end for the 5 millionth fucking time.

Fair?

Yep.

On a side note, I have made some good money off TEPCO (company that owns Fukushima) in the past. Buy the dips and sell the spikes. Think of buying @ 1.50 a share and selling at $7 a share within a few months time frame. That process has repeated itself about 3 times that I can recall.

I know a cat that is going to retire off this one stock alone.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Fukushima

Fukushima

There's no precedent for a nuclear plant accident causing death or long term damage.

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 09:14 PM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

Buy the dips and sell the spikes.

Sounds like a plan.

I wonder why everyone doesn't do it?

Fukushima

I am no expert on nuclear reactors and I am also not not anti-nuclear but I always find it odd how supporters of nuclear power point to the lack of immediate obvious deaths. In an instance like this wouldn't you think the outcome will be slow and insidious and largely undramatic? like the seeping of radioactive waste into the ocean? Experts refer to a lack of clear association and thus dismiss any affects. This is a disaster but they will just deny or dismiss any association.

Some still say that Chernobyl took only 25 lives, when in fact tens of thousands have been diagnosed with cancer, birth defects, immune disorders, etc.

So how so you measure the toll purely in terms of immediate deaths? What about the relocation of 100,000's of people, long-term health issues and the impact on the flora/fauna across the areas affected? Restrictions on Welsh farmers have only just been lifted following Chernobyl.

From what I have read, the plutonium in reactor three has a half-life of 80 million years, perhaps explaining why the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier 80 nautical miles away set off red alert radiation alarms for helicopters, crew, air and water systems and went through an 18-month decontamination at Bremerton and Hanford.

Removing the spent fuel rod assemblies is obviously a big problem but it seems to me the even bigger and more IRREVERSIBLE PROBLEM is the 3 molten reactor cores, which, even if they can be located, are extremely radioactive and are therefore not approachable (including by robots), and therefore cannot be moved and/or neutralized with any known technology.

So are these cores emitting massive radiation into the groundwater and aquifers under Fukushima? - which will empty into the Pacific Ocean?

A lot of questions not many answers. I also find it odd that anybody with a concern for this situation is some anti-nuclear tree hugging hippy. How about just concerned humans on our only planet. I understand that this will be used by sides to push an agenda but what we need now is factual information not spin.

Again no nuclear physicist. But them again neither are a lot of the people saying 'everything is fine'. The fact that there is potential for something really big to happen is enough to warrant more discussion on the topic without name calling and labeling. This would be a good time to ramp up the research into nuclear fusion.

Fukushima

Fukushima is completely different from Chernobyl. Chernobyl had a badly designed reactor which was unable to contain the meltdown, and a substantial amount of radiation was released as a result. It's hard to estimate the total resulting casualties but the best estimates are that some thousands of people died as a more or less direct consequence of the radiation and the health of tens of thousands was probably affected. The USSR authorities did very little to evacuate the population and were mainly concerned with concealing evidence.

The total radiation released from Fukushima was an order of magnitude less because of its design and its effects will be further orders of magnitude less because of timely evacuation. Trace excess radiation in Japan outside the immediate vicinity is trivial at this point, and the idea that it could be detectable elsewhere is outright crazy. The Pacific ocean is very big and seepage into it is inconsequential.

By the way, more than 18,000 people died in Japan during the earthquake and tsunami that caused the Fukushima accident. That was the real disaster.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 09:59 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Sounds like a plan.

I wonder why everyone doesn't do it?

Yeah I've been thinking about dropping a data sheet on it, but its such a groundbreaking new strategy that I'm afraid of the competition it will cause.

Disaster plays are a whole different story that is actually worthy of a discussion. I missed the train on the whole 08 crash because I wasn't financially in a position to capitalize on the hysteria of the market. I had extremely lucky timing on BP and got a good 50ish% gain within 6 months. TEPCO (TKECF) was about 300% gain within a few weeks multiple times.

TEKCF share price is 25% of what it was pre disaster. It's still get plenty of room for upward movement. Their are two possible scenarios:

1. Company is dissolved or nationalized.

2. Company restarts reactors and returns to profitability

Scenario 1 was a big scare in the first 12-18 months post disaster. Everything thought it was going to be nationalized. That was the hysteria talking. If they were nationalized that would have mean the government would have taken on their debt, assumed responsibility for the cleanup (which means assumed responsibility for all accidents and biproducts of the cleanup), and entered in a competing market with private firms. I'm no genius, but I was pretty confident that wasn't going to happen.

Scenario 2 is already half completed. They have reported profits for the last two quarters. TEPCO supplises power to about 25% of the population of Japan. Reactor restarts are inevitable.

I expect it to double within a couple years. It ran up to $8 (highest since the disaster I think) a share on rumors of a restart earlier this year, so it's going to be interesting once the reactors do come back online.

Whenever I see another one of these "As the world burns" episodes on youtube, I start looking for ways to capitalize on it. Shit I should start a website selling radiation suits and market it on the west coast....

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Fukushima

My uncle made a pretty penny on BP's fiasco in the GOM.

Fukushima

Quote: (11-08-2013 11:08 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Fukushima is completely different from Chernobyl. Chernobyl had a badly designed reactor which was unable to contain the meltdown, and a substantial amount of radiation was released as a result. It's hard to estimate the total resulting casualties but the best estimates are that some thousands of people died as a more or less direct consequence of the radiation and the health of tens of thousands was probably affected. The USSR authorities did very little to evacuate the population and were mainly concerned with concealing evidence.

The total radiation released from Fukushima was an order of magnitude less because of its design and its effects will be further orders of magnitude less because of timely evacuation. Trace excess radiation in Japan outside the immediate vicinity is trivial at this point, and the idea that it could be detectable elsewhere is outright crazy. The Pacific ocean is very big and seepage into it is inconsequential.

By the way, more than 18,000 people died in Japan during the earthquake and tsunami that caused the Fukushima accident. That was the real disaster.

Why are you using the word "released"? Agian human hamster logic. Chernobyl had more of a sudden impact as radiation was spewing out more quickly. The PLANTS a Fukishima are more concentrated and more powerful then shitty chernobyl was. Chernobyl fucked over half of Europe and it was half the power if even that of ONE of Fukishimas plants. Yeah it was a badly built plant for its day but so is Fukishima, that crap would never be built today either.

800 tonnes+ of radioactive junk has been released into the ocean, and now it does not dissipate like you suggested. Studies are showing it is keeping its intensity as its circulating around for the most part as is simply just accumulating. Again more human hamster logic into thinking water will douce and dilute the shit like children's paint or something.

People need to stop being delusional. Humans have no idea wtf is going down. We have cracked a egg we can't cook. It's a guess to how bad it is, but it is bad. Smart people dismissed the shit at first as they drank their toxic diet cokes. My prof sipping back his aspertame coke told me point blank I was an idiot for suggesting the stuff I read. Fuck him. Because now he's leading talks on it at my school. Now It's trendy to point out the obvious and people are piling on. Fuking pathetic.

Chernobyl only came to light after the fact. Nobody really knew how fucked it was during. All we knew it was a bad situation of the worst scenario mapped out. Scientists were crying because they had no answers to the problem. Only by the grace of god and for unknown reasons did the meltdown stop. studies today show how it completely devastated the local population in regards to health.

Fukishima will bankrupt Japan. The trillions needed to even mitigate the damage will be to much. A global response is needed but governments don't care, nor does the UN. It's a bill to come later, none give two fucks.