rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Drinking

Drinking

I love beer but at the same time I'm not a big fan of the beer gut. For health-conscious men, I'm sure this is a pretty typical dilemma; how do we balance drinking and a healthy lifestyle?

How often do you guys drink per week? How has it affected your health/lifestyle?

For those of you who drink pretty often, how do you balance out the drinking and staying healthy (and keeping your body looking good as well?)

Drinking

I drink on average 3 days per week and I stay away from beer usually. I tend to drink crown on the rocks but if you want to keep your calorie content as low as possible go with straight vodka or if you cant stomach that go vodka soda with a lime which has the lowest mixed drink calorie content.

Im 6'5 and fluctuate between 225 and 235 depending on my current workout routine. Finding the balance isnt too hard as long as youre not skipping your workouts to go drink. If I know Im going to a happy hour right after work Ill workout in the morning or on my lunch break.

Also, BEWARE the late night drunk munchies! Those end up sabotaging your routine more than the booze itself. I actually keep some healthy snacks in my car (beef jerky or a power bar usually) to curb the craving on the way home.

Hope that helps.

Drinking

Quote: (11-11-2010 12:31 PM)kerouac Wrote:  

I love beer but at the same time I'm not a big fan of the beer gut. For health-conscious men, I'm sure this is a pretty typical dilemma; how do we balance drinking and a healthy lifestyle?

How often do you guys drink per week? How has it affected your health/lifestyle?

For those of you who drink pretty often, how do you balance out the drinking and staying healthy (and keeping your body looking good as well?)

I limit myself to drinking only two days a week. That is either Friday and/or Sunday. My metabolisim is pretty good, however I still cut out drinks with a lot of carbs. So that means beer and mixed drinks are a no no for me. After some research, I concluded that Vodka, diet tonic and lime, or Vodka, sparkling water plus lime is my "diet" drink of choice.

Drinking

I quit beer a long time ago in favor of liquor. I'll very occasionally have a Guiness. But in terms of staying in shape, beer wrecks you, especially as you age. The problem with liquor is that I drink way too much of it because it doesn't bloat me as much as beer.

Drinking

3 days a week.....alcohol or wine....never heavy...1-2 drinks to loosen things up...

Drinking

It varies for me. Some weeks I won't drink. Some weeks I'll drink 5 days a week. I would say typically though, I drink between 1-3 days a week. I usually drink liquor, not a huge beer fan unless I'm drinking a bomb local brew. I like wine on occassion as well. I typically drink white russians (Probably very bad for you), gin and tonic, jack and coke, vodka cran. I have always had a fast metabolism, but also keep very active. Typically in the winters I will snowboard just about every day, and though usually snowboarding wouldn't be the best cardio work out, when you are doing things like I am, such as hiking a mile through snow, then riding very deep powder for a couple of miles, it tends to get very tiring. I also hike, bike, just play in the mountains all around. But now I don't really have this option living in florida, so I'll run 3-4 miles on the beach, and I walk everywhere. In a typical day I walk no less than a mile, but days when I have time to go out, I probably walk close to 4 or 5. I also ride my bike sometimes. I went 150 blocks the other day, which probably sounds more than it is. Blocks here are small. But it was still a good 10 miles minimum. When I lived in CO, a 6 mile hike up and down mountains was nothing for me. A 12 mile hike might get me tired.

Drinking

Hi, since the point of view of some boy friends you can follow this advice:
1. Go to the Sauna 3 days per week, those ones with eucalyptus are better because they purify you skin.
2. A "day of cleaning" in the week, men do this often, a day without beer, sex,unhealthy food, smok, etc.
3. Balance drink with grassy food if you have drunk too much. If not balance drink with coffee.

Good luck!

Drinking

A day without sex does not sound healthy to me.

Drinking

Hahaha I don't drink much, at most, once in a week.
Drinks and expensive beers.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Drinking

I drink beer almost exclusively...2-3 times a week, sometimes 10-12 lights beers per session.

Right now I'm coming off a lazy summer which I hardly worked out...but when I am full force working out I can balance the beer gut out pretty easy, as long as you know what you are doing in the gym and in the kitchen you should be all set.....

But thats me and everyones body reacts different

Drinking

The flower cones of the plant, known as hops, are used in the production of beer to impart bitterness and flavor, and for their preservative qualities. The extract is antimicrobial, which makes it useful for making natural deodorant.[1] Hops also contain the potent phytoestrogen, 8-prenylnaringenin that may have a relative binding affinity to estrogen receptors.

Drinking

Quote: (11-14-2010 04:34 PM)LÉtranger Wrote:  

The flower cones of the plant, known as hops, are used in the production of beer to impart bitterness and flavor, and for their preservative qualities. The extract is antimicrobial, which makes it useful for making natural deodorant.[1] Hops also contain the potent phytoestrogen, 8-prenylnaringenin that may have a relative binding affinity to estrogen receptors.

Beer has been known to bring about Bitch Tits, and there have also been studies that show that girls who drink a good amount of beer have nice breasts... so the moral of the story is:

if you're a guy: cut down on beer (unless you think you look good with tits)
if you're a girl: drink more beer (but work out to keep the tummy fit, and, oh yeah, while you're at it do some exercises to tone that gluteus maximus)
[Image: 20070727.jpg]

Drinking

Quote: (11-15-2010 04:15 PM)kerouac Wrote:  

Quote: (11-14-2010 04:34 PM)LÉtranger Wrote:  

Beer has been known to bring about Bitch Tits, and there have also been studies that show that girls who drink a good amount of beer have nice breasts... so the moral of the story is:

if you're a guy: cut down on beer (unless you think you look good with tits)
if you're a girl: drink more beer (but work out to keep the tummy fit, and, oh yeah, while you're at it do some exercises to tone that gluteus maximus)
[Image: 20070727.jpg]

bacardi/diet is the key. Like the commercial says 0 calories, 0 sugar.

I try to keep my drinking to weekends only.

Drinking

[/quote]

bacardi/diet is the key. Like the commercial says 0 calories, 0 sugar.

I try to keep my drinking to weekends only.
[/quote]

Yea, I used to drink that way back when but it would knock me out everytime

Drinking

If it has alcohol it has calories. 7 kcals per gram. You can't avoid calories when drinking.

Drinking

Honestly if you keep your diet in line and you hit the gym you can more than get away with drinking a few nights a week without it affecting your appearance.

Drinking

I still drink like a viking, but I try to cut it down to 2 days a week. During holidays its like 3.

Nothing is better to me than Beer and Popeyes Chicken.

Drinking

What derek07 said. I find that drinking until I get drunk affects my physical training negatively, as my energy levels drop several days afterwards and I loose my rhytm. Hangovers are much worse than they were 7 years ago. Recently I've experimented with taking tablets that are supposed to restore the body's hydration levels after drinking, which helps a little.

I think reducing your alcohol-intake is one of the best things you can do to improve your game. So many guys haven't got a clue, they just get smashed every weekend and rely on drunk game (=no game). Although, I have refrained totally from alcohol during 8 months and that was almost as bad as drinking too much. Balance and moderation is the key. Haven't completely found my optimal consumption level yet though. I recently watched a tv program about this, scientists recommend to not drink in excess of four 33cl beers a day, or fourteen a week, if I remember correctly.

I generally drink beer. I'm trying to drink mostly light beers or beers with only 2,8 or 3,5 % alcohol. but sometimes I just go with the normal 5,2%.
With licor, in my experience, it's easier to get really drunk, beyond control. I heard white wine is the best you can drink calories-wise. Another option is to buy specific beer with low calorie percentage.

Drinking

I've noticed I get a different kind of "drunk" depending on what I'm drinking and how.

For example:

-chugging beer makes me energetic and stupid drunk
-red wine makes me relaxed and sleepy

That said, I've slowly phased alcohol out of my life. Getting trashed is HORRIBLE for your health. You know how it feels to put rubbing alcohol on a cut? It hurts like hell. Alcohol is not welcome in your body and it seems silly to purposely drink it. So many downsides.

The only time I drink beer is on a first date with a girl at a bar, and an occasional glass of red wine, also usually with a girl. I'm trying to get that down to just red wine.

If you're drinking to feel good, happy, and relaxed, try weed. Zero calories. Zero fucking with your hormones. No stupid decisions such as beer goggles. Sleep like a baby, refreshed in the morning with no hangover!

Drinking

Hmm, while i lived with my roommate i was drinking/smoking weed about 4 or 5 times a week. i just recently dropped the amount down to 2 or 3 nights a week. Somehow i have been able to maintain a good body. My abs arent that great

Drinking

Quote: (04-30-2011 05:46 PM)gringoed Wrote:  

If you're drinking to feel good, happy, and relaxed, try weed. Zero calories. Zero fucking with your hormones. No stupid decisions such as beer goggles. Sleep like a baby, refreshed in the morning with no hangover!

But, weed messes with your brain. It kills your brain cells, make no mistake about it.

Drinking

Weed really only kills your brain cells if you are smoking some reggie. stick to chronic like yours truly and you are golden. Just dont smoke too often. I have found that the best weed to smoke with girls is some pop. You can smoke a bowl and still be functioning and not too stoned to fuck.

I wouldn't recommend smoking too often or during the day unless you are with a chick. I never smoke if i have shit to do.

Drinking

Quote: (04-30-2011 08:36 PM)ManAbout Wrote:  

But, weed messes with your brain. It kills your brain cells, make no mistake about it.

Link? I searched google and the first page was all stuff like this:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_marijuana...rain_cells
and
http://www.lycaeum.org/paranoia/marijuan...ology.html

There's way too much misinformation about pot. 99% of the bullshit comes from people who have never tried. it.

Here's a link about alcohol and the brain. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm

Drinking

Beer doesn't give you a beer gut. A lot of beer doesn't give you a beer gut. A lot of calories, carbs, and general over eating will give you a beer gut. I normally stick to diet soda and rum when I'm drinking, but there's a bar near me that does weekly beer specials on their homebrews, so if I'm going out I'm going there and if I'm going there I'm drinking beer. If I know this then I just cut back earlier in the day. Have a salad instead of a sandwich at lunch or dinner.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Drinking

But you also need to keep in mind:

- There is a chance to develop an addiction. And while it is purely mental, it is still an addiction.
- It is illegal in most countries, which makes it more difficult to obtain, store or transport it.
- It may preclude you from qualifying for employment in some companies which run drug tests; I heard it is detectable in hair two months after the last usage.
- Increased risk of lung cancer. Yes, it is not just tobacco.
- Weed is a typical gateway into other drugs. While the progression is not mandatory, I do not know a single drug user who'd start using heroin out of the blue sky, everyone I know started with smoking weed. This is a major problem for those who fall on peer pressure.

As we say in Russia, everything in this world which makes you feel good is either illegal, immoral or it makes you fat.