rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help me plan an epic west coast road trip

The winter break is coming up and my braces are coming off. I figured I would celebrate with a road trip of epic proportions. The plan is to drive to a city (distance in hours), spend the night drinking at a party hostel, eat breakfast, and visit one touristy thing every day. I may have a co-driver, but I think I can handle it alone just as well. Below is my first draft.

Dec 16 (M): Last final done at 3PM. Detroit - Chicago (5)
Dec 17 (T): Chicago - Kansas City (8)
Dec 18 (W): Kansas City - Denver (9)
Dec 19 ®: Denver - Aspen (4). LAST DAY OF EARLY SEASON
Dec 20 (F): Aspen - Las Vegas (9)
Dec 21 (S): Las Vegas - San Diego (5)
Dec 22 (U): San Diego
Dec 23 (M): San Diego
Dec 24 (T): San Diego
Dec 25 (W): San Diego. CHRISTMAS
Dec 26 ®: San Diego
Dec 27 (F): San Diego - San Francisco (8)
Dec 28 (S): San Francisco
Dec 29 (U): San Francisco
Dec 30 (M): San Francisco - Seattle (12)
Dec 31 (T): Seattle. NEW YEARS
Jan 01 (W): Seattle - Boise (8)
Jan 02 ®: Boise - Salt Lake City (5)
Jan 03 (F): Salt Lake City - Denver (8)
Jan 04 (S): Denver - Kansas City (9)
Jan 05 (U): Kansas City - Chicago (8)
Jan 06 (M): Chicago - Detroit (5)
Jan 07 (T): Classes start at 2PM

Everything on there is still tentative, especially the return leg (I could take I-90/94 from Seattle to Detroit). However, I need to go through KC at least once to visit family and I want to hit Snowmass for those sweet-sweet beginner trails. Also, I would like to spend the most time in SD. I am convinced that it is my favorite city in US and I want to make sure that it is.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome.

That's an overly ambitious schedule. You're going to spend most of your days driving (with a hangover). Your energy levels are likely to take some serious hits.

I agree with Vicious. You're spending too much time in San Diego for the amount of driving you'll be doing. I know you said it's your favorite city but hit up LA for a bit since you're so close.

Agree with Vicious. That schedule looks miserable.

You guys are right. Should I just fly in to SD for the week and call it a day? If so, when is the best time relative to Christmas/New Years?

I can't advice you on what time is best relative to Xmas/New years for SD but if you're going to go that route make sure you get accommodations and tickets booked pronto. They are going to be pricey or even limited for that part of the year.

Not to be a dick but this trip sounds retarded. Iy looks like you are calculating almost 100 hours of drive time. Is that right?

From my experience driving across USA It takes about 40 hours to drive from LA to DC (just driving not counting stops). That is roughly 2,800 miles.

So you are going to spend almost 100 hours driving what, 4,000+ miles?

I would kill myself. How much will you spend on gas?

Let's say you get 25 MPG and gas is $3.50 per gallon.

4000 miles / 25 mpg = 160 gallons of gas x $3.50 per gallon = $560

Fly to San Diego and enjoy your life. Scratch this plan of yours ASAP.

Yea, I think flying to SD is the way to go. The last thing you will want to do when you are hungover is get up and drive for 6-10 hours.

Too much time in SD, spend a few more days in LA and Vegas - Vegas is great during the week if you know where to go.

Also I'd spend 2 or 3 days driving the PCH from LA to SF. Hang out for a night in places like San Luis Obispo or Santa Cruz, and stop and enjoy the scenery along the way.

Quote: (10-20-2013 09:11 AM)kenny_powers Wrote:  

Not to be a dick but this trip sounds retarded. Iy looks like you are calculating almost 100 hours of drive time. Is that right?

I could spend those 100 hours doing something productive. My Prius gets 43mpg average. I got it for trips like this. Either way gas turns out to be cheaper than flying. The whole point of taking a car is so that I can hit multiple places in one trip. Also, gas prices are relatively stable over the holidays. Another option is to take greyhound, so I can sleep on the bus.

So far the consensus is that I should fly in SD and just camp out there for 11 days Dec 24(T) - Jan 3(F). I found a few tickets for $465, which is not too bad. With the hostel at $30/night I should fit under $800 for travel and lodging. Now that I'm running the numbers, this option does seem more reasonable.

Quote: (10-20-2013 11:05 AM)one-two Wrote:  

I could spend those 100 hours doing something productive. My Prius gets 43mpg average. I got it for trips like this. Either way gas turns out to be cheaper than flying. The whole point of taking a car is so that I can hit multiple places in one trip. Also, gas prices are relatively stable over the holidays. Another option is to take greyhound, so I can sleep on the bus.

So far the consensus is that I should fly in SD and just camp out there for 11 days Dec 24(T) - Jan 3(F). I found a few tickets for $465, which is not too bad. With the hostel at $30/night I should fit under $800 for travel and lodging. Now that I'm running the numbers, this option does seem more reasonable.

Dont do that. Road trip it. Have a rough outline but do what makes you happy and dont feel obliged to a schedule. Did a cross country trip that way a couple years ago and it was fantastic.

Quote: (10-20-2013 11:05 AM)one-two Wrote:  

I suggest against the greyhound in California. I've taken a few red eye bus trips and it was insanely uncomfortable.

The Amtrak takes forever but it is infinitely more relaxing and you can charge things in a power outlet.

Quote: (10-20-2013 11:42 AM)TheBMan Wrote:  

Dont do that. Road trip it. Have a rough outline but do what makes you happy and dont feel obliged to a schedule. Did a cross country trip that way a couple years ago and it was fantastic.

That would work any other time except the holidays. I don't want to end up stranded and sleep in a car. That's why I need to plan ahead. Also, I love planning things like this. Sometimes I plan the next trip, while I'm still on a trip [Image: smile.gif]

If you drive out. I suggest sticking to one region. LA and the Bay Area are huge and there's plenty to explore, and it also let's you get some sleep and arrange better accommodations.
Instead of dropping cash on gas, splurge on a nice place on airbnb.

San Diego can be kind of lacking around the holidays, with all of the college girls gone home for the holiday. PB will be quieter, but downtown will still be going pretty well.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go out when you're in San Diego.

Take some relaxed time driving up the coast to Big Sur on US 1 when you go from SD to SF. Stay overnight if you can.

I would hit up Death Valley after Las Vegas if it were me but maybe I'm more of an outdoors guy.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (10-20-2013 02:56 PM)TroubleMaker Wrote:  

San Diego can be kind of lacking around the holidays, with all of the college girls gone home for the holiday. PB will be quieter, but downtown will still be going pretty well.

I bet Christmas is going to be dead, but hopefully there will be other travelers at the hostel. I doubt New Years will be bad, everyone loves an overpriced party.

Quote: (10-20-2013 03:44 PM)one-two Wrote:  

Quote: (10-20-2013 02:56 PM)TroubleMaker Wrote:  

I bet Christmas is going to be dead, but hopefully there will be other travelers at the hostel. I doubt New Years will be bad, everyone loves an overpriced party.

Yeah, New Years in downtown last year was pretty good. I was at the House of Blues.

If daygame is your thing though, it'll be sorely lacking. Maybe try Fashion Valley leading up to Christmas, that's a gold mine.

Fly to Hawaii or Cabo or Miami (or maybe fly to europe somewhere) and stay there the whole time. You'll probably spend less than driving around or even flying around. Flights are probably pricy though to Hawaii/Cabo around christmas unless you fly christmas day.

LA sucks during Christmas time. Everyone is gone and its a relative ghost town since everyone is off work and goes back "home". Week before christmas isn't bad though as people are partying before going back home. All the attractions are also full and overcrowded since everyone is off work.

Week between Christmas and New Years I believe sucks in Vegas, from what I've been told except for New Years Eve itself and maybe the day before it and the day after. Its also pretty cold out there during that time. Not snow storm cold, but its chillier than you'd think Vegas would be. On the plus side its probably going to be cheap rates other than new years eve.

No opinion on San Diego. Should be a good time. There's also a "Bolt Bus" which is supposed to be better than Greyhound.

I'd steer clear of driving through big mountain ranges in the winter, could really mess your schedule up.

"LA sucks during Christmas time."

That's the damn truth. I hate LA for the holidays. Thinking about doing NYC or Thailand for Christmas + New Years.

Quote: (10-20-2013 10:11 AM)TheBMan Wrote:  

Also I'd spend 2 or 3 days driving the PCH from LA to SF. Hang out for a night in places like San Luis Obispo or Santa Cruz, and stop and enjoy the scenery along the way.

I've done that LA to SF drive along PCH. Mind blowing scenery. That has to be the best drive in at least the mainland US.

Can't leave US just yet. I have been to Hawaii last spring break, awesome time - can't wait to go back. Don't care for LA and Vegas around the holidays - too expensive and packed with tourists. I am pretty set on San Diego though.

Vegas is dead for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I spent a Thanksgiving there few years back. It was hysterical. Clubs were begging people to walk in them.

Do the road trip. Road trips can be the funnest experiences, especially when you're young.

Quote: (10-20-2013 11:57 PM)one-two Wrote:  

Can't leave US just yet. I have been to Hawaii last spring break, awesome time - can't wait to go back. Don't care for LA and Vegas around the holidays - too expensive and packed with tourists. I am pretty set on San Diego though.

Yeah, fly into San Diego then. Take the train up to SF (stop in Santa Barbara for a day or two just to check it out) and fly from there back to Detroit. Actually what I'd do is San Diego- few days in Santa Barbara and take a day trip to Solvang which is a pretty cool bavarian village then up to SF. New Years eve in San Francisco should be pretty good.

Fly to San Diego and rent a car. Drive up to LA and then maybe up the coast to SF and then hit the 5 coming back down south.

That's much better considering the time of year you're traveling it will be brick ass cold in every other spot on your list outside of California. No reason to spend all that time driving in cold ass weather when those cities are going to be lame anyway. Might as well just stick to CA and road trip there.