rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Publishing eBooks without a blog

I have a few ideas for non-fiction eBooks that I think could actually net me some decent cash. Friends and family are constantly asking me for advice in a few areas of expertise and I've actually had friends of friends pay me $50 to sit down and teach them how to do something step by step for 2 hours.

However I don't have a blog, don't use twitter or facebook since I feel they are time drains. I have no marketing or mailing list that I've built up as fans.

So, is it even worth my time to write non-fiction, "how-to" ebooks without a blog, a twitter handle, etc? I'm just afraid all my time will be sunk into something that 5-10 people will buy. I know that putting it on Amazon is often marketing enough, and I could use a lot of word of mouth to get it out there--I just want to hear someone's honest opinion of whether it's even worth it. I guess the only thing I really have to lose is time.

If you don't want to do any outreach you lazy bum, google how people hack the top 100 Amazon best seller list. You're going to do something similar, but niche it down.

WIA

Quote: (10-16-2013 06:22 PM)apoclater Wrote:  

I have a few ideas for non-fiction eBooks that I think could actually net me some decent cash. Friends and family are constantly asking me for advice in a few areas of expertise and I've actually had friends of friends pay me $50 to sit down and teach them how to do something step by step for 2 hours.

However I don't have a blog, don't use twitter or facebook since I feel they are time drains. I have no marketing or mailing list that I've built up as fans.

So, is it even worth my time to write non-fiction, "how-to" ebooks without a blog, a twitter handle, etc? I'm just afraid all my time will be sunk into something that 5-10 people will buy. I know that putting it on Amazon is often marketing enough, and I could use a lot of word of mouth to get it out there--I just want to hear someone's honest opinion of whether it's even worth it. I guess the only thing I really have to lose is time.

Write up a shorter version and publish it on Kindle. If it shows promise, flesh it out more, raise the price, and do some marketing.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Honestly the short answer is that you pretty much need a blog to really make it in publishing these days.

Like a poster above said, there are "hacks" you can use, but honestly I would guess that really making these "hacks" work is just as time-intensive as writing a blog anyway.

You can definately make money off ebooks without a blog. I would suggest setting up a blog as you can do it free or cheap and its a way to redirect people to your book as well as prove your an expert in the area and give some free advice. Just setup a quick Google Blogspot site and throw together a few articles linking to your ebook. You can sell your ebook on your blog with Paypal or Google Wallet and get some sales without paying amazon or other companies a cut.

As for social media, I'm not a huge fan of socila media myself. I think it's a time drain as well as I just don't see value in social media such as Twitter and stuff. None the less other people do find value so you should setup account and like your ebook, promote your ebook on those sites. It doesn't take too much time to do.

First things first price your ebooks reasonably and use the promos on Amazon where you give away your book Free for a few days. It gets you better ranking and sometimes puts you in the best sellers list for your category which leads to sales.

Quote: (10-16-2013 09:46 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

If you don't want to do any outreach you lazy bum, google how people hack the top 100 Amazon best seller list. You're going to do something similar, but niche it down.

WIA

http://outthinkgroup.com/tips/how-to-hac...eller-list