rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting a School

Starting a School

Recently I pitched the idea to another member who gave back positive feedback, and have been thinking about it ever since. The concept is starting a niche school abroad, which means finding a small need in a large market and building up.

My original idea was to open a school for men in Japan. Given their current society, I think a business could profit to teach men there how to recapture pre WWII thinking and grow more masculine by teaching the basics. Martial arts, diet, exercise, style, social interactions. An actual place where students are required to show up and improve, not books or websites. Growth will come from men leaving the school and becoming walking advertisement.

I know opening any biz abroad is hard, and would take more than one person to implement. However, it has the potential to take off and while not getting anyone rich, could allow for location dependent living in a better location. This of course will be a step up from just teaching English.

I started the thread to brainstorm with you guys and share knowledge. Thoughts?

Starting a School

Good idea. You should open one in the US.

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 04:56 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I'm trying to get out of the U.S. Besides, issues with this would include:

1. No students. Men here that need it are just as delusional or poor as feminist.

2. Feminist. Having rallies on the front steps.

3. Taxes.

4. Liability.

5. Zero residual pussy factor. Part of opening abroad is to use the marketing to supply an ongoing flow of ass.

Starting a School

This is an interesting idea. The only instructor who actually has to be a red pill gentleman would be the social interactions teacher. The martial arts, style, diet/excercise guys don't necesarilly have to be, though it would be a plus.
I agree with Menace that the idea is just as valid for a US market, and probably easier.

The facilities needed would be classrooms, a gym, and maybe a kitchen.

Starting a School

Is this the red pill university idea? If so, I'd like a cut. Not too much just enough to wet my beak [Image: smile.gif]

Starting a School

One draw from opening overseas is teaching English. But guys come in and learn much more. Each period of instruction will have a professionally developed syllabus.

Calculus, most instructors need to be masculine to lead by example. I don't want the place to feel like just a school, but a place where men get together and can interact. Like going out after class with the instructors for drinks and chase women. You can't have a clown out there fucking up.

Although a hot female crossfit instructor might be a good draw. I wouldn't cut class. Besides, fuck if I'm gonna do a yoga class with a dude wearing tights teaching.

An advantage of starting in the U.S. is to base a biz model here and branch out.

Starting a School

This is a really cool idea. However it wouldnt be compulsary, so you could only attract those guys who want to be helped. How would you find that market initially? Perhaps you could market it as a 'society' or some shit, not a school, so that people think they should just try it out to see what its like. Maybe advertise it at gyms (where people are obviously interested in improving themselves), or do exhibitions at high schools. For example a martial arts demonstration at a university/ high school, or even one advertised there could attract people.
The only pitfall I can think of is that young japanese men are completely rejecting the 'samurai culture' and even corporate 'warriors'. You'd somehow have to make them think its cool again (which even the government cant do). Mainly advertising the martial arts aspect would be best as MMA and stuff is still really big there. You would avoid the 'herbivore men' who wouldnt be interested and potentially attract the average japanese man who may be interested in fighting/ frustrated at his success with women.

Starting a School

Classes:

Leadership, weightlifting, martial arts (boxing & catch wrestling), seduction (day game & night game), fashion (focus on THEIR style rather than a cookie cutter one), English, female psychology, and red pill freedom fighting guerilla tactics.

Teaching styles could be lectures but instead of tests, discussing it like a Socratic seminar.

EDIT- Salesmanship? But for diet, teach them the basics. Paleo, Atkins and all that other crap depends on the person.

Starting a School

Start it in the US and then offer 'graduate school' overseas. If you wanted to aim at the younger generations I used to bump into crazy hippies that had started 'environmentally focused' charter schools that were essentially summer camp in the wilderness.

Such 'man' schools existed in the late 1800s in northern ireland as sort of a branching out for finishing school for women but the guys did academics and community construction/rehab projects to also build practical skills.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Starting a School

Fascinating.

This is right up my alley. Curious to see where this conversation goes.

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 05:33 PM)Cyr Wrote:  

This is a really cool idea. However it wouldnt be compulsary, so you could only attract those guys who want to be helped. How would you find that market initially? Perhaps you could market it as a 'society' or some shit, not a school, so that people think they should just try it out to see what its like. Maybe advertise it at gyms (where people are obviously interested in improving themselves), or do exhibitions at high schools. For example a martial arts demonstration at a university/ high school, or even one advertised there could attract people.
The only pitfall I can think of is that young japanese men are completely rejecting the 'samurai culture' and even corporate 'warriors'. You'd somehow have to make them think its cool again (which even the government cant do). Mainly advertising the martial arts aspect would be best as MMA and stuff is still really big there. You would avoid the 'herbivore men' who wouldnt be interested and potentially attract the average japanese man who may be interested in fighting/ frustrated at his success with women.

Great input. I'm banking on Fisto to go in on this. The biggest obstacle though is language. We'd have to spin up locals to get on the level, then use them as instructors/interpreters. Governments are the worst at leadership or marketing. A few well-rounded guys from the U.S./U.K. will do damage. Translate our DR/SEA trips in Japanese for background.

Starting a School

I've toyed with this idea the past couple of years, sort of a school modeled on the ancient greek forums. I've kept it open in my file, though there would be a significant investment to get it going (time and money).

Starting a School

I would think you better have a good grasp of their culture if you plan on opening one overseas. That is if you plan on marketing to the people within that country.

You might want to expand scope and look into marketing to people in other countries. You could create some type of hostel like campus that would be part of their enrollment purchase (of course you mark up the price to account for this). Housing, meals, gym... sort of like an all inclusive resort type of thing.

Besides that, you have business licenses, visa's, etc.

If you want to bring in speakers, you can offer free room, food and so on as part of payment.

I think you're better off doing your own reality show from different countries. [Image: wink.gif]

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 06:49 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I've toyed with this idea the past couple of years, sort of a school modeled on the ancient greek forums. I've kept it open in my file, though there would be a significant investment to get it going (time and money).

This sounds very interesting...so much practical wisdom has been exposed on these boards over the years from a variety of men...it wouldn't take long to get a good syllabus together.

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 05:03 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I'm trying to get out of the U.S.

I thought you wanted to stay in the US.

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 05:33 PM)Edmund Dantes Wrote:  

Classes:

Leadership

I take for granted what the Marines taught me in leadership. You won't learn it outside the military without being fortunate to have a mentor in the workplace. College teaches you to be a sheep. "Management". Thinking outside the box leads to success. And you can't learn that in a book (4HWW)

Teaching styles could be lectures but instead of tests, discussing it like a Socratic seminar.

Roosh mentioned something like this further down. We'll discuss further. I like it.

EDIT- Salesmanship? But for diet, teach them the basics. Paleo, Atkins and all that other crap depends on the person.

Teach basic kitchen techniques for bachelors with nutrition integrated. Guys can't connect with complicated chef's nor do they need to. Those cooking styles are expensive and time consuming. Simplicity is key. And baking is for girls.

Quote: (09-29-2013 05:35 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

Such 'man' schools existed in the late 1800s in northern ireland as sort of a branching out for finishing school for women but the guys did academics and community construction/rehab projects to also build practical skills.

Interesting. Getting a school started could branch out to teach other subjects. Like women to be feminine or sucking dick. They do it in Russia.

Starting a School

The way to do it is to think about Thoreau's quote: "All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be."

Go for the old school skills. Learn to sail. Learn to mend clothes, cobble shoes, make your own moccasins from animal skins or leather. Brew your own beer. How to use a compass, how to survive in the woods.

Make the students into Red Pill interesting men. Build Inner Game without them knowing it, then teach a bit about approaches, IOI, Outer Game and have a group outing to a venue. The guys will worship you when they get numbers or bangs like never before.

You could use the students to get contacts to build a local business. Or make the school a pyramid scheme with the plankowner students recruiting and training new ones while you sit at the top of the empire doing only things you enjoy.

Combine the above with machine shop maker culture to have the ultimate Man School. Imagine a place where guys could go and learn and make things with their own hands.

Starting a School

Time and money is a bitch. It has to sell to investors. Like business entities that want leadership and can't find it. You have to start from the ground up. Using Japan as an example, but I think a school in the Middle East will go. Lot of opportunity. Even at some point India. I spent enough time in the ME to see where both groups of men fall short.

The modern education system falls short. You can't learn to think out of the box, or for yourself by someone that has spent 12 years in college and never had a professional position. But students now get dumber from the best slackers out there. Teaching in ancient Greek forum goes against the grain, which is good. All current models should be thrown out the window.

Quote: (09-29-2013 06:55 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

I would think you better have a good grasp of their culture if you plan on opening one overseas. That is if you plan on marketing to the people within that country.

You might want to expand scope and look into marketing to people in other countries. You could create some type of hostel like campus that would be part of their enrollment purchase (of course you mark up the price to account for this). Housing, meals, gym... sort of like an all inclusive resort type of thing.

Besides that, you have business licenses, visa's, etc.

If you want to bring in speakers, you can offer free room, food and so on as part of payment.

I think you're better off doing your own reality show from different countries. [Image: wink.gif]

The free room and board is ingenious. Your whole post is gold. I used to live in Japan, and remember some of the crazy culture, which is why I think it would work there. I believe Japanese men want to be hard again, but aren't seeing a way up. And yeah, the reality show thing is on a back burner.

Quote: (09-29-2013 07:13 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (09-29-2013 05:03 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I'm trying to get out of the U.S.

I thought you wanted to stay in the US.

I'm fine in the U.S., but it would be more fun and challenging opening up abroad. Especially for school branch ideas.

Starting a School

People are all about paying money to improve themselves or pretend to improve themselves these days. Make it expensive and seemingly elite. Make it appear to be a plus for the wives/gfs of the men so they approve of them going. When they see the effect "class" is having on their man, they'll want him to continue going (and paying).

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 06:20 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

Fascinating.

This is right up my alley. Curious to see where this conversation goes.

I paged YMG, as he'll have a lot to add.

Quote: (09-29-2013 07:55 PM)JimNortonFan Wrote:  

Go for the old school skills. Learn to sail. Learn to mend clothes, cobble shoes, make your own moccasins from animal skins or leather. Brew your own beer. How to use a compass, how to survive in the woods.

Where I'm from its called the "3 F's". Fight, fuck, and fend for yourself. There's all kinds of high speed schools out there, but they only teach 1 or 2 aspects. This is the whole deal. Even teaching a daily routine and practice it with them.

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 05:35 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

Start it in the US and then offer 'graduate school' overseas. If you wanted to aim at the younger generations I used to bump into crazy hippies that had started 'environmentally focused' charter schools that were essentially summer camp in the wilderness.

Yeah I agree, it woudl be better to start it in the U.S. or whatever your home country is, then move it overseas. However if you are already overseas, I'd say go for it.

But yeah, you're going to need to learn the language fluently, OR just hire translators/bilingual staff to do all the work that is needed in Japanese. The Japanese government does give some really good perks to people starting up businesses there, they even give free office space and staff for a very limited time I believe. I couldn't take advantage of this myself when I was doing my thing, because of the gray area of legality with the things I was doing. . .(something perfectly legal in the U.S. and the west, just not legal there. . .which I didn't even know about untill too late. . .if you want details send a PM) Also you're going to have to asses your market, and figure out ways to reach out to them. Also, you're going to have to figure out how to teach them things that will be valuble for them IN JAPAN, AS A JAPANESE PERSON.

I emphasize this because, the way we do things, is totally different from the way they do things, and you could pretty much get a lot of these guys fired from their jobs, and or ostracized from their friends/family/social circles. The ways of a man that would be alpha in the west, in many cases, is "the nail that gets hammered down" in Japan. I guess you would have to teach them self sufficiency money wise first, so that you can teach them the real meat of it all so that they wont fear runing their life. that is . . . well you can't teach everyone business, it's pretty much you gotta teach those that want to learn in the first place. I mean I guess you could market it as somethign that will help you get rich. . .but damn the more I think about it, the more I think of reasons why it wouldn't be good to do in Japan. ugh Ill just stop now. I just think you'd have to teach them to make money, and be business owners instead before anything else comes into play.

Also: most Japanese guys (99.9% that I've met over the 5 years I was living there) are pretty good with staying healthy body wise. They don't want to get big and muscely or what not because for some reason, as a Japanese man. . .that screams "Gay" I know you're thinking of reaching out to the shut ins or 2chan omega nerds or what not. . .but people like that are REALLY hard to find there. ..since they dont go out. so you'd have to penetrate the net culture there. . .which requires a lot of Japanese language knowlege. (specifically reading Kanji) I guess you could try to reach out to the guys working at convenience stores, or even try college campuses. . .but yeah I dunno, doing it there to start is going to be really difficult.

what you COULD do though, is like market an "American Activity weekend" or what not and invite foreign people who want to make friends with Japanese folks and then do some of the "Manly activities" that was mentioned before. I had a freind do somethign similar and made a LOT of money out there. . .but that may not be what you were going for really.

Isaiah 4:1

Starting a School

This sounds really interesting, but you need a good amount of capital: and by that I mean land, human, and financial, as well as a good understanding of the culture.

A good skill to learn these days is how to code. There are schools that charge $7-$12k for a 12 week coding course, and that's just for tuition alone.

If you can get some good instructors that know proper web development, you can draw a lot of guys in.

There are so many hopeless young men without proper jobs that if you could help educate them for a future career, you can add game, fitness, leadership, and cooking as side benefits.

Offering a free beta run of the course will help gain publicity, as reputation is one of the most important factors of a successful business.

Offer value, and they will come.

Starting a School

With the JOBS Act coming into play soon, I bet you could find investors for this rather easily.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Starting a School

Quote: (09-29-2013 08:57 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

People are all about paying money to improve themselves or pretend to improve themselves these days. Make it expensive and seemingly elite. Make it appear to be a plus for the wives/gfs of the men so they approve of them going. When they see the effect "class" is having on their man, they'll want him to continue going (and paying).

Not just elite, but a tiered system. Just like MMA, all men walk through the door at a different level. I like the idea of marketing to married men. Years ago I saw some off the wall English movie set in the late 1800's, where the wife made the fat husband go off to a camp to lose weight and become masculine. In the meantime she was fucking someone else. It was so painful I had to change the channel. You know where I'm going with this.

Starting a School

Where did the Japan thing come from? Why this country?

Seems like a difficult task to get something like this up and off the ground in a place like that, especially if you do not have the language skills or network there.

This sounds like a brick and mortar business. Do you need one physical location to do this?

E-learning is more scale-able. You know this.

My two cents.