rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting an Engineering Job in Switzerland

Hello, I wondering how hard is it to move to Switzerland and find a job in the engineering field? Civil Engineering to be precise, I'm a railway engineer and I would maybe like to have some courses in the field at Lausanne Polytechnique.

I love the apres-ski there, lots of good partying in the Swiss way of life. Zermatt is pretty good in that regard with lot of classy girls.

I speak french, english and I'm learning german. I like the fact that the country is pretty centralized in Europe and that you can travel easily from there.

If it's anything similar to how it is in the European Union around them, you can only sign a contract for the job after it has been offered from 15 days to 1 month to the public, that is, to every engineer in Switzerland. Otherwise if you are skilled and have the language qualifications, it can be easier. Mind the language, tho, since they speak mostly German but not the way you expect them to.

If you're an engineer, getting a job/visa in Europe is the last thing to worry about. Most countries (e.g. Germany, UK) put you in a special category of skilled workers to expedite the process and ensure you receive a visa.

Not too sure about Switzerland specifically but I'd imagine it's the same. With the info you posted you'll have no problems, just start speaking to companies directly.

Switzerland is (in my opinion) the most beautiful country on earth. It's expensive, but no worse than London; you actually get what you pay for, everything is very high quality and the food is fantastic.

Quote: (09-28-2013 08:16 PM)MrRoundtree Wrote:  

I love the apres-ski there, lots of good partying in the Swiss way of life. Zermatt is pretty good in that regard with lot of classy girls.

What is party in the Swiss way of life?

Mannbibel - Meistgelesener Artikel: Dominiere deine Freundin im Bett
Die Rückkehr der Männlichkeit - a german blog written by Ray

Why on earth would you want to move to Switzerland, one of the most boring countries in the world? The women are hot but unfuckingbelievably unfriendly, the social scene sucks and did I mention that it's boring.
Really, choose another country. There is no reason a member of this forum would ever move to that country.
Switzerland is a great country if you like a quiet life, have a family, like outdoors stuff and earn a lot of money but with high costs.
But if you want an interesting life? NO!

1. I love mountains and ski, it is definately my favorite sport. I also love hiking.. I mean I'm an excellent skier and it is an environment I feel very comfortable and confident in.

2. I'm from Quebec, Roman Swiss loves Quebecers because we like hockey as much as them. Hence, when I was in Lausanne it was pretty easy with the girls.

3. Uncle moved there for work and said it was the best place he ever lived. he live in southern France, Austria, New Jersey and Montreal in comparison.

4. Travel is easy, it is in central europe.

Last time I looked into this, I found that you can't just move to Switzerland and "look for work." You can't apply for jobs while visiting on a tourist visa, for instance. To get the proper residency/work permit, as a foreigner, you'll need the job first.

I think the best way would be to obtain a position with a multinational company or NGO in your home country that has also has a presence in Switzerland and then transfer there. Or apply direct to positions open to international applicants.

Maybe there is something you can do with the student angle if you complete a course of studies there. I'd look into that.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I was looking for some transportations courses in Ecole Polytechnique de Lausanne actually..or doing a Masters maybe..

Quote: (09-29-2013 06:59 AM)trapper_john Wrote:  

Why on earth would you want to move to Switzerland, one of the most boring countries in the world? The women are hot but unfuckingbelievably unfriendly, the social scene sucks and did I mention that it's boring.
Really, choose another country. There is no reason a member of this forum would ever move to that country.
Switzerland is a great country if you like a quiet life, have a family, like outdoors stuff and earn a lot of money but with high costs.

The women are unfriendly because it's a social circle tribe mentality. Fucking random men is seemingly forbidden, and all people talk.

You can find lineages of the Swiss in America that have been here four or five generations, and if any of them get a wild hair up their asses to go back to Switzerland they are welcome back in their home village to live a sort of communal welfare lifestyle.

I wouldn't go there looking to hook up with sluts. I would, however, go there to find a quality wife and raise children that speak many languages.

Easy to see why, as long as you have a parent who has swiss blood and you apply for residency at a really young age you can become resident of your Canton...but you have to do this really early when you are young otherwise you lose the privilege.

But Swiss girls can be pretty slutty I can tell you..

Quote: (09-29-2013 10:47 PM)Hades Wrote:  

I wouldn't go there looking to hook up with sluts. I would, however, go there to find a quality wife and raise children that speak many languages.

The divorce rate is around 50 percent. It doesn't look that appealing to me for finding a Swiss wife.

Mannbibel - Meistgelesener Artikel: Dominiere deine Freundin im Bett
Die Rückkehr der Männlichkeit - a german blog written by Ray

I've heard that Switzerland is great...if you're Swiss. Otherwise, they are fairly xenophobic in that frosty fashion.

In the Geneva area (not far from Lausanne) you have a lot of women from all over the world working for the UN and various NGOs.

Roundtree,

I'm swiss. Maybe I can help you with some info.

About swiss women not being slutty - hugely untrue, ONS happen frequently and swiss women are generaly very kinky. Getting contact-info (day & night) and makeouts (night) from random girls is very easy. There's really a huge step up from contact-info and makeout to lay though. if you have a normal job and go out every friday/saturday and have average game you should have a new girl every month. I've seen people with tighter game doing much better. Of course, if you put in more effort you will reap more rewards.

About swiss women being good wives... Nope, don't get your hopes up here... Mike's right, average divorce rate is 50% in some places it goes up to 60% (that was some years ago, I don't have up-to-date numbers, but I guess it will be around the same or even worse).

Feminism has taken root here too, and while it is nowhere near as bad as in the US, that doesn't mean you can't get divorce-raped sideways to hell and back. Women know that as soon as you're married to her, she has the upper hand, and they leverage that to their advantage without restraint.

About the swiss being xenophobic. This is completly ridiculous. 22% of our residents are foreigners, maybe 25% more or so of the population are people that have been nationalised in the last 20 years. Would you consider that xenophobic? Geneva for example is one of the most international cities ever, there are literally people from all around the world there. I have travelled extensively and I would say Switzerland is on of the least-racist countries in all of the world. The overt racism that you get in other countries is just completly absent in Switzerland. Hell, you can even get sued if you call somebody a racist slur here, we have anti-racism laws.

Switzerland being boring? You obviously don't know how to play the field here, where to go, what to do and how to make friends - like around 50% of the young expats (older expats generaly love it here). Then they go around and hate on Switzerland - it's always the fault of the others, and never yours eh? Some people come here, expect a 500K CHF salary with complimentary blowjobs for a 4 hours workday and that everybody flings themselves at their feet and begs them to come into their social circle and fuck their sisters. That's not gonna fly. You have zero extra-value here as a foreigner, and to get somewhere, with girls, in business or with your social circle, you have to work, like everywhere else in the world.

That said, for the young player I wouldnt' recommend Switzerland either to emigrate. See below for explanation.

Back to the problem at hand,

Roundtree,

We are lacking sorely in engineers, at least according to Big Business and MSM, so that should play to your advantage.

If your a railway engineer, your employer of choice is the Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, or SBB, the monolithic, state-operated railway company. http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html.
The website is available in german / italian / french and english, like most government and big business websites.

I would just call there and state what you want and they will help you. Most HR people there should be pretty friendly and help you out straight away, if not, just use friendly persistence.

There are other Railway companies, but they are all dwarfs compared to the giant that is SBB. But if your interested to know more PM me, I don't want to clutter the forum with particularities of swss railway companies.

If you're not interested in working for a railway company, just PM me what kind of company you're interested in and I can send you some companies that you could call.

Like stated above though, I kinda have to agree with the other forum-members - if you emigrate anyway, not sure if Switzerland is the right place. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic place and I personally love it. It's my beloved home base and a awsome place to live - if you know how to play the field, which some expats never learn...

But if it's not your native country and your going through all the hassle to emigrate, I think you have a better trade-off in other countries. Why? In other, less-developed countries you have more opportunities and a better shot at rising thorugh corporate ranks fast or starting your own business. The dice have been pretty much cast in Switzerland, and it's not really an entrepreneurial society. Difficult to be a maker and shaker here. Also you don't have extra-value as a foreigner, whereas in other countries it can open you doors. What I gathered from my expat friends, especially building a worth-while social circle can be difficult, as ppl at work probably aren't the ones suitable for the social circle of a young player. I have an american friend that emigrated to Switzerland, but wasn't too happy here, and is now much happier living in EE and also founded a company successfully there.

Also while I like the women, and they are pretty high on my list worldwide, there are other countries where the quality of talent is higher and you have to work less for the lay.

Read this thread, especially the posts by Sirob.
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14101.html

A few years ago it seemed "easy" to find software developings (and all similar kind of stuff)) in Switzerland,i even knew a Brazilian girl who moved there on a working visa

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

Quote: (09-29-2013 10:47 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Quote: (09-29-2013 06:59 AM)trapper_john Wrote:  

The women are unfriendly because it's a social circle tribe mentality. Fucking random men is seemingly forbidden, and all people talk.

You can find lineages of the Swiss in America that have been here four or five generations, and if any of them get a wild hair up their asses to go back to Switzerland they are welcome back in their home village to live a sort of communal welfare lifestyle.

for what it's worth I met a normal Swiss guy in his 30s recently. He said he is frustrated with life in Switzerland. He said by his 30s he has only fucked 3 hot girls in his country and that, my friends, is sad and should not take place anywhere, ever.

On the upside:

It's a high-salary jurisdiction so if you can get a job there you can make your money and retire early to a nicer place (in terms of women).

It's close to countries with friendlier women.

Besides, the OP said he liked skiing, so it may not be all so bad.

@Doc well said bro!
At last, somebody who speaks some sense about Switzerland and tells it like it really is
Switzerland has it's faults of course, but overall the pluses far outweigh the minuses, it's a great country, and I've done well in the past with Swiss women
Social circle certainly helps, but even without that, I've always found the Swiss amenable to conversation, getting an 'in' with Swiss women is not difficult in my experience, and then you just build from there
I found French-Switzerland a bit harder to crack, the women were a little frostier there, unless you had half-decent French(which I didn't) but I wasn't complaining, as the sheer beauty of places like Lausanne and the other towns along Lake Geneva will keep your mind off poon, if the locals aren't responding

Well, I guess different people have different experiences in Switzerland. I myself am Swiss and support what Hades and trapper_john said. I do think that people in Switzerland are very reserved and not very open minded about meeting new people. Sure, not everyone is like that, but generally I think it's true. Also, I know a LOT of people in Zurich, the largest city in Switzerland, who are complaining about how hard it is to meet & hook up with girls. There are many threads about this topic on local online forums. That was also my personal experience when I was living there. It was the main reason why I left Switzerland - first for Berlin, Germany, and then NYC. Comparing these cities, I can clearly say that in Berlin and NYC people are a LOT more open than people in Zurich.

It is really a social circle mentally there. The thing about Switzerland is, it's very important to "fit in". If you don't, then you're basically an outcast. The culture in the States, for example, is very individualistic, and if you start a company or "do your own thing" people see that in a positive light. But in Switzerland, people are very sceptical and doubtful about someone who is not "like everyone else". That can be very frustrating. But if you happen to be a person who just somehow fits in the culture there, then it might work out well for you.

And it is really true what Hades said: for a Swiss girl meeting a random guy on the street and then going on a date with him - let alone hook up - is just really really out of the ordinary. If you want to go that route, you have to make sure to target girls who seem to be 1st generation Swiss - i.e. whose parents immigrated to Switzerland - they tend to have a bit of a different mentality.

If I had a huge pile of cash I would not hesitate to move there, at least for part of the year. You have low crime, pleasant environment, efficient services, and easy travel to anywhere in Europe.

If you are younger and looking for a lot of urban excitement and dynamism...OK yeah not so much.

Nevertheless, I'd say Swiss citizenship is one of the most valuable ones you could have. Thanks to the Schengen agreement, one can work anywhere in the EU even though it is not a member state.

@Ice Interesting to read your thoughts
I know a few people in Zurich, so that helped a lot, and sure there's the usual percentage of ignorant and unfriendly people there that you find in any city, but I found that once I used my smattering of Swiss German (or even English accented German) with the locals, I got an even better response than opening in English
The Swiss and Germans seem to like my noticably Anglo accented German, so definitely worth using it early doors, it will endear people(not just chicks) to you
I concur with Doc on the women though, 30 and upwards Swiss women can be quite conservative but there's plenty of 20something native Swiss chicks who are most definitely dtf

Yeah I guess it depends what country you're from. For some reason a lot of Swiss people are obsessed with the major US/UK cities like NYC, LA, London. Fact is, after I had been living in NYC for 3 years, I came back to Zurich for a short stay, and during that time it was extremely easy to hook up with girls. But that's just because they perceived me as "something better" than them for having lived in NYC for a couple of years. In their eyes that was a major DHV. I think that's pretty ridiculous.

Quote: (10-01-2013 11:40 AM)amity Wrote:  

@Ice Interesting to read your thoughts
I know a few people in Zurich, so that helped a lot, and sure there's the usual percentage of ignorant and unfriendly people there that you find in any city, but I found that once I used my smattering of Swiss German (or even English accented German) with the locals, I got an even better response than opening in English
The Swiss and Germans seem to like my noticably Anglo accented German, so definitely worth using it early doors, it will endear people(not just chicks) to you
I concur with Doc on the women though, 30 and upwards Swiss women can be quite conservative but there's plenty of 20something native Swiss chicks who are most definitely dtf

Quote: (10-01-2013 11:01 AM)Ice Wrote:  

Well, I guess different people have different experiences in Switzerland. I myself am Swiss and support what Hades and trapper_john said. I do think that people in Switzerland are very reserved and not very open minded about meeting new people. Sure, not everyone is like that, but generally I think it's true. Also, I know a LOT of people in Zurich, the largest city in Switzerland, who are complaining about how hard it is to meet & hook up with girls. There are many threads about this topic on local online forums. That was also my personal experience when I was living there. It was the main reason why I left Switzerland - first for Berlin, Germany, and then NYC. Comparing these cities, I can clearly say that in Berlin and NYC people are a LOT more open than people in Zurich.

It is really a social circle mentally there. The thing about Switzerland is, it's very important to "fit in". If you don't, then you're basically an outcast. The culture in the States, for example, is very individualistic, and if you start a company or "do your own thing" people see that in a positive light. But in Switzerland, people are very sceptical and doubtful about someone who is not "like everyone else". That can be very frustrating. But if you happen to be a person who just somehow fits in the culture there, then it might work out well for you.

And it is really true what Hades said: for a Swiss girl meeting a random guy on the street and then going on a date with him - let alone hook up - is just really really out of the ordinary. If you want to go that route, you have to make sure to target girls who seem to be 1st generation Swiss - i.e. whose parents immigrated to Switzerland - they tend to have a bit of a different mentality.

wow that's a huge mistake right there, moving from Switzerland to a city with hardened big city AMERICAN WOMEN for a better sex life. I lived in New York for quite a while and 99% of the women I ever scored with were foreign. It's not a place I'd like to spend a second of my time in again. Being a second-class citizen in America (i.e. a male) is a sad state of existence.

German girls, on the other hand, for some reason seemed to dig me. I know that many people say that Germans are generally cold to meet strangers but I would really like to visit Germany sometime and see if people there are really just cold on the outside and once you make the effort to chat up the girls they warm up. Which definitely can't be done in America, they never accept strangers in their social circle.

Quote: (10-01-2013 04:07 PM)chamele0n Wrote:  

Quote: (10-01-2013 11:01 AM)Ice Wrote:  

wow that's a huge mistake right there, moving from Switzerland to a city with hardened big city AMERICAN WOMEN for a better sex life. I lived in New York for quite a while and 99% of the women I ever scored with were foreign. It's not a place I'd like to spend a second of my time in again. Being a second-class citizen in America (i.e. a male) is a sad state of existence.

German girls, on the other hand, for some reason seemed to dig me. I know that many people say that Germans are generally cold to meet strangers but I would really like to visit Germany sometime and see if people there are really just cold on the outside and once you make the effort to chat up the girls they warm up. Which definitely can't be done in America, they never accept strangers in their social circle.

Dude - wrong! It has been working out very well for me with girls in NYC. And I am not talking about foreign girls in NYC - I mean real US chicks. For about 9 months I dated a girl who used to model for a well-known NYC "erotic" photographer. She was 24 at the time. Born and raised in NYC. She looked extremely hot and gave the best BJs ever. Swallowed every time. Dude, it was so crazy, when I was at bars with her dancing and making out, random dudes would give me thumbs up lol. But apart from her I hooked up with many others too. I am not saying this to brag, for me it was just really a 180° change from what I was used to in Switzerland. Because in Switzerland I was not very successful with women. In NYC, after a while I got a bit big headed about it, unfortunately, that's why I lost out on some lays which I could have gotten easily, but for a while I just had this mindset that either I'm gonna have sex on the first date or else fuck you - which in hindsight was a bit too extreme a stance.

Now I'm back in Berlin for the time being, so I have to adapt to the European mentality again. It's def a different thing. I don't really know why people are hating on girls in NYC / the States. Yes, they can be bitchy, but you just need to be a hardcore motherfucker lol. They lap that shit up. And it really suits my personality. I think in NYC, you cannot go TOO hard with girls. Girls don't really mind if you try to kiss them like 10 minutes after you met them, but if you're too timid / hesitant, it's over.

Interesting that ppl have such different perspectives. I wouldn't agree with what ice said. Like with everything he said.

Swiss ppl having an obsession with NYC, LA & London? Wut? Not at all in my experience.

Also comparing NYC to Zurich - please, ZH city has a population of 395'000, NYC of 8.25 Mio., more than the total pop of Switzerland (which is ca. 8 Mio.). That's a ridiculous comparision to make.

You came back from NYC and suddenly, magically the girls liked you more? How about a different explanation: after living in Berlin and NYC, macking on girls, working on your skills, working on yourself, you had developed good social skills meanwhile. So when you came back, you had naturally more success. Ockhams razor tells me this is how it went down.

Ppl have to understand that everything in switzerland is on a smaller scale - it's like a little nifty miniature-world of it's own, and the next canton-border is probably just 15min away, the next 'mayor city' (for lack of a better word, there are no 'mayor cities' in CH, Zurich with it's 395K is the biggest, and the runner up is Geneva with only 195K) - just a 45 min drive. Switzerland is small.

I gather that you mentioned Zurich city a lot - never understood the hype of Zurich, it's my least favorite spot to go partying (tho I do have a few spots I like even in ZH city) - what's with Luzern, Aargau, St.Gallen, Winterthur, Bern, etc.? Switzerland is pretty small, I can reach all of this spots in a 1 hour drive or less (well expect Bern). You can even do your little regional-flag collection and intentionally go and collect flags from different cantons [Image: smile.gif]

It's a known problem on local forums? Wut? Are you refering to the Zurich-Lair? If those ppl where champs at getting laid they wouldn't be in that lair in the first place - Those guys are hardly a reference.

You yourself said in your post, that you weren't successfull with CH women before you left - maybe your game / lifestyle just needed to mature a little bit more. Quote: "Because in Switzerland I was not very successful with women."

Ppl make it sound as if talking to a swiss girl is like trying to talk to the grinch. Come on,they're girls, they're people. If you strike up a convo with them, yes even as a random guy, and go about it in a normal, social manner, she will hold at least a short, friendly interaction with you. Wanna know what my 'opener' is? 'Hey how are you?' then followed by some small talk about the venue, the music, partying in general. Then I gauge her interest and if I see she has potential I ramp up my game. But these lair-guys run around the dancefloor, interrupting girls rudely and yelling at them 'OMG, your shoes are so pointy, which elf did you stole them from?''. It's cringe whorty. Then they whine about girls shooting them down and being unfriendly. Hell if you stepped up to me in such a faggy manner, i would give you the death stare too!

It's more of a problem of swiss guys who get into the 'game' being socially really clueless, giving of an akward vibe, being overly cocky which comes of as insulting, not having sorted out their life at all, etc. etc.

Furthermore one has to be careful with overly cocky game & negs here. While it can have its place and time, that shit can destroy you fast. This isn't the states where you go into some kind of contest to bust each others balls to assert dominance. This can rub people the wrong way big time here.

I myself hate ball-busting culture - why do I have to enter in some kind of dick-measuring contest with a fcuking girl about who can make the snarkier comments? Doesn't make sense! How about nice civilized conversation? What's wrong with that? How about holding a normal, friendly convo first instead? I guarantee you it will be appreciated. (All in a game context ofc, get your foot in, gauge her reaction, then ramp up your game accordingly in a well-calibrated manner to escalate the situation)

How about changing yourself instead of blaming everyone else?

That said, I never claimed swiss girls are easy nor the most receptive nor the most beautiful - I stand by my statement in the post above - a guy who has his life sorted out, with a normal job and average game can expect to lay a new girl every month if he goes out every fri/sat. Nothing to write home about, but far from the desolate wasteland ppl make it out to be. The girl will be cute/pretty/hot, but not crazy model standard. Go to EE for that [Image: smile.gif]

I also like to repeat : getting somewhere in all aspects of swiss life takes work and effort.

My reasons why I wouldn't advise ppl to emigrate to Switzerland are in the post above. I also wouldn't recommend RVF members coming here for gaming girls. For quality of talent and ease of lay, other options are better suited. Besides that, it's expensive as fuark, and when I say as fuark I mean as FUAARRRRKKKKK bold, underlined and fat. Rents are insane meanwhile.

Ice, with all that said, I respect you for moving out of CH when you saw that it didn't make you happy - I see guys hating on CH but then doing jack-shit. I can see that CH is not everyones cup of tea (or more cup of hot chocolate [Image: biggrin.gif]), so it's all cool if you don't like it. But hating and staying? Doesn't make sense. You didn't like it apparently but you did what had to be done to redeem the situation. Kudos to you for that.

For me I leave it at that, I'm not really interested in arguing about CH pros/cons further, it's not productive - but that CH is some desolate wasteland with frigid grinch-like women like some ppl here make it out to be - that's some crazy shite to say and must come from peeps who have no clue.

Roundtree, sorry for derailing the thread - as I stated, PM me if you have questions and I will help out with Info as best as I can.