rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Using uncertainity to increase emotional attachment?

I was reading this little excerpt about emotional attachment and thought it might be relevant to game.

Quote:Quote:

A.E., Fisher, conducted an experiment with puppies.

With three test groups, members of the first group were treated kindly every time they approached a researcher. Members of the second group were punished for approaching the researchers. And puppies in the third group were randomly treated kindly or punished. The 3rd group grew up never knowing what to expect. Their world was not a world of kindness or punishment but rather one of uncertainty.

The study found that this third group of puppies wound up being the most attached to the researchers, they loved the researchers and were the most dependent on them. This became known as the polarity principle. "Stress, including the mental stress of uncertainty, is an ingredient in attachment or love. Perhaps, even manifestations of hatred, its polar opposite, somehow enhanced love"(Fisher 1955). So uncertainty, at least psychologically, can lead to some of the greatest feelings of attachment and dependence We humans know.

valhalla

Think it's been posted before, but I was literally just thinking about this after seeing my dog a few minutes ago

yup. contrasting emotions for the win [Image: amuse.gif]

Relationship Game 101.

Take a girl on a roller coaster of emotions and she'll love you to death.

Treat her nice all the time and she'll get bored and leave you.

Treat her mean all the time and she'll leave you.

See-saw.