rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The End of Anonymity On The Internet and the New Thought Police

In the last couple of years there's been a shift on major websites to end anonymous comments.

Huffington Post is the latest site to make the shift. Starting next month, users will no longer be able to comment on the liberal news site without using their full name.

You'll notice many newspaper websites have already made the switch. For example, a couple months ago the Miami Herald ended anonymous comments. USA Today forces you to comment only using your Facebook profile.

So, from now on, Facebook will be tied to almost everything you say on the Internet. And this is the way Facebook and Google want it:

Quote:Quote:

Zuckerberg, who is Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg’s sister, argued that putting an end to anonymity online could help curb bullying and harassment on the web.

“I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away,” she said during a panel discussion on social media hosted Tuesday evening by Marie Claire magazine. “People behave a lot better when they have their real names down. … I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.”

Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt has also made this suggestion, calling online anonymity “dangerous” and predicting that governments will eventually “demand” that people use their names for all online activity.

Got that? Silicon Valley doesn't want you to be able to voice unpopular opinions and anything politically incorrect without being immediately identified.

But it's not just the tech companies. State legislatures are already considering prohibiting websites from allowing anonymous comments.

For example, such a ban on anonymous speech has already been proposed in New York:

Link

And another like it has just been introduced by a state senator in Illinois:

Link

And we shouldn't be surprised. After all, Google's Schmidt has already said he expects governments will demand we use our real names online.

This is how free speech dies on the Internet. You don't even need to pass hate speech bans or other laws restricting speech that wouldn't pass constitutional muster if you just force everyone to use their real names wherever they post on the web and then foster a culture that ostracizes and professionally destroys them once they're identified.

And when you consider this campaign to end anonymity along with the NSA revelations of how the tech companies colluded with federal spy agencies, it becomes pretty obvious that there's a broad effort to put the clampdown on free speech.

We're going the way of the matrix, nothing new.

I've been expecting this-the elites have been terrified by free speech an anonymous dissent on the web for years

People have been able to express what they really think in public, which they can't otherwise

This has resulted in Unacceptable Thoughts getting a public airing

This dissent has to be crushed, of course

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Personally, I support this (discourages trolling), though there are ways to get around it. You can use a made up name/fb profile, allowing you to espouse unpopular views without facing any real consequence.

1.adopt a fake identity
2.use a VPN to hide your IP address
3.talk shit with no repercussions

Quote: (09-18-2013 10:48 AM)BLarsen Wrote:  

1.adopt a fake identity

There are reports the Matrix has h4ck5 d v8N

Quote: (09-18-2013 10:52 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

1.adopt a fake identity

Your average employer doesn't have access to these leet hax though

I'd support this as long as we also include personal and political beliefs as a protected class in labor discrimination laws like we do with religious beliefs.

Take care of those titties for me.

Quote: (09-18-2013 10:56 AM)Architekt Wrote:  

Quote: (09-18-2013 10:52 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

1.adopt a fake identity

Your average employer doesn't have access to these leet hax though

I think the latest Snowden releases point to the conclusion that the N$A has backdoors in VPN and SSL. But currently, there is a conference of developers creating new encryption standards free of gov't involvement, so once that's complete we should be in good shape.

There are ways to find out who posted what and from where.
Way back when Anonymous was hacking everything on the planet, they thought they couldnt be caught. Now we now the FBI tracking them down and made then turn snitch.

An entire fake identity is one way but too many real world security measures are needed to ensure the fake identity stays unconnected from the real you. Too many for the average person to remember and eventually slip up. It really only takes on login from from somewhere you're not supposed to do it from it and you're fucked.

Create fake Facebook profile?

I'll just avoid any news sites and stick to liking pictures of kittens on Facebook.

Team Nachos

I've made some fake facebook accounts to post unpopular red pill ideas on blogs. I even verified the accounts from a bank of payphones. But the thing is i think facebook automatically causes the fake accounts with zero friends and a few pictures to not be in the comments list.

Anyone else experience this?

In some ways I'm cool with this, but there's always a downside. You could be punished for voicing a serious, well thought-out, non-trolling opinion, just because others don't agree with it. I noticed that YouTube has also been trying to gently coerce users into posting under their own names as well. Some time ago I think I started a thread asking what people thought about the loss of anonymity on the internet.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

There are actually certain benefits to a less anonymous internet. Believe it or not I think less anonymity can be good for 'red pill' opinions in some ways. When people read an opinion posted by someone anonymously under some funny moniker, their first reaction is to dismiss it. But when it's posted by someone with a real name, they are more likely to take it seriously, to think about it. And I think many people who were accustomed to online anonymity before will eventually come around to posting their views under their real names. Those who are truly huge pussies may just shut up, but I know in my case I've just started posting under my real name on news sites, and I'm sure plenty of other people will too.

This isn't about stopping trolling, bullying, or defamation- the usual reasons given

Those are all just pretexts to provide cover for the real purpose- to silence dissent

They want people to know that if they voice any opinions that the Orthodoxy doesn't approve of, they are subject to loss of employment, destruction of career, social ostracism, threats, and violence.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Quote: (09-18-2013 11:59 AM)Andy_B Wrote:  

There are actually certain benefits to a less anonymous internet...When people read an opinion posted by someone anonymously under some funny moniker, their first reaction is to dismiss it. But when it's posted by someone with a real name, they are more likely to take it seriously, to think about it.

Proof ??? or just talking out of your backside ???

Quote: (09-18-2013 11:53 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  

In some ways I'm cool with this, but there's always a downside. You could be punished for voicing a serious, well thought-out, non-trolling opinion, just because others don't agree with it. I noticed that YouTube has also been trying to gently coerce users into posting under their own names as well. Some time ago I think I started a thread asking what people thought about the loss of anonymity on the internet.

in other words, you are not cool with it.

There is no upside. All downside.

Quote: (09-18-2013 11:01 AM)Dusty Wrote:  

I'd support this as long as we also include personal and political beliefs as a protected class in labor discrimination laws like we do with religious beliefs.

.....in other words, you are not in support of this......

The only bad thing, as some have already brought up, is that non-trollish, un-PC points will be discouraged by this policy since no one wants to get in hot water in real life.

Quote: (09-18-2013 10:42 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Personally, I support this (discourages trolling), though there are ways to get around it. You can use a made up name/fb profile, allowing you to espouse unpopular views without facing any real consequence.

Facebook and other social network sites will make this harder in the future by requiring more and more "verification" in the future when creating a profile. Already, you need a phone number in order to create a FB account. In the future, other measures may be deployed to cut down on fake profiles.

I knew this was a long time coming. It had to. Social media is not about being social, it is a tool for corporations to obtain your private information and governments to track people.

Converting to Facebook accounts for the purpose of comments is being done for a few reasons:

Everybody except the people win in this. I remember reading that companies with a lot of traffic get money from Facebook for converting to Facebook comments.

Facebook gets more users (more advertisers, more accounts).

Governments don't have to spend as much time tracking you and your thoughts.

A couple of websites I frequent converted to Facebook comments recently. No way I was going to use my real Facebook, not to be defeated I created multiple fake Facebook accounts but then this happened:

Quote: (09-18-2013 11:31 AM)frenchie Wrote:  

I've made some fake facebook accounts to post unpopular red pill ideas on blogs. I even verified the accounts from a bank of payphones. But the thing is i think facebook automatically causes the fake accounts with zero friends and a few pictures to not be in the comments list.

Anyone else experience this?

Facebook doesn't do this for new fake accounts, from what I have read they do it for all new accounts. I can tell you what I did to make my face account to work, may be it will help:

I liked a lot of pages (nothing that I "like" in actual life).
I added 15 random people, 3 accepted.

And instead of trying 4 different accounts, I just focused on one and only used that one account to comment. Eventually after a couple of weeks, I was testing my comments again. I posted a comment, logged out to see if it was viewable to everyone and there it was.

Now I have a fake Facebook account which works on all sites forever and you can bet I am never letting that go.

HC- Making a fake fb profile is a temporary fix. As another poster pointed out, more "verification" will be needed. "Addendum" - Fake profiles for the express purpose of posting anonymous comments with intent to cyber bully is a felony (You think that language won't be crafted as a follow up to stop doing what you're saying)

Anyway, Trolling is a lousy excuse to give up a freedom imo. You SHOULD be able to say what you want behind closed doors.

Cyber bullying? Honestly how can anyone take that seriously? If someone is that unstable something else besides cyber bullying will unhinge them. Probably real life rejection.

Guys, please consider the logical conclusion to this. "Laws" that force you to reveal your identity.

So many offhanded comments have already resulted in arrests from FB alone.

And it's all up to the interpretation of someone that really isn't interested in justice, it's some small person with a LOT of power.

You think that women's studies majors with agendas wouldn't LOVE to fight "injustice" by being in these positions of monitoring whether what you say is pc or not?

Even if you didn't say anything that could convict you, someone CAN have you arrested for saying something they didn't like.

Cops on the street jam up guys and arrest them for bunk things all the time "public intox" for a guy that walked out of the bar and gave a smartass answer. "oh we forgot to give him a breathalizer and this will be dismissed but we just fucked his day up big time"

Arrest stays on your record in some states.

This shit is scary.

Wow. I'm surprised people on this forum support this.

End cyber-bullying? Think about ludicrous of a concept that is - you can turn off the monitor or flip to another page on your iPhone.

This is all about silencing dissent so narcissistic egos can continue to inflate. My usual analysis would be killed off as being hurtful, hateful and not helping out people's self-esteem.

Check out my most recent thread in the books forum for more about this.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

This has been going on in South Korea for a while. I think I might be wrong in the details - but don't you have to put down the equivalent of your national id when you submit a comment to a blog on there?