rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Opinions needed

Opinions needed

So im 24 graduated college in 09. I have two plans that im considering. The first one is to stay in NC and do the air force rotc while i get my MBA. (This isnt a given bc they are cracking down on grad students being allowed into the rotc program towards being a commissioned officer) Other option is to move to miami and work on getting my doctorate degree to become a college professor. Maybe try and become a football grad asst coach. What would yall recommend?

Opinions needed

I seriously considered about a US Marine Corp ROTC or Reserve air program out of high school because I wanted to get a hold of Helicopter gunships - the aviation program was an 8 to 10 year committment and that killed it. Also - as trained pilots and gunners are in shorter supply than ground troops - you can count on being activiated every time there is a decent size conflict - had I joined in the early 90's - I would have gotten a 9 month tour in Iraq War 1 and probably picked up a 2 to 4 year stint in Afghanistan/Gulf War 2. Once you sign, they got you. one weekend a month - two weeks a year my ass. You'll get your MBA - but you might not work as a businessman till you are 35 -

Also - if you want to fly cool stuff - the physical requirements for a combat fighter pilot - basically you can not have so much as hay fever. The recruiters will tell you the rules can be bent and how easy you will pass the test - but you have to be physically perfect. A friend of mine tried to be a 'rear' on F-14's but got bounced (after he trained for over a year) cause he had a small allergic reaction during his final physical - He ended up a radar operator on an AWACS bird which was cool enough for him.

As far as a college academic - how are your grades and what is the best Grad. school you think you can get into. There are no schools of any measure in the State of Florida - if you want to teach MBA courses you will need a slew of years working for a big shot company - also, given the economy, there are very few open jobs for academics. You might end up teaching one or two classes for 300$ a week as an adjunct professor and tend bar at night - On Long Island - they are getting PHd's applying for high school teaching posts because the pay is good - the waiting list is a mile long -

I hate to krappe on your ideas - I'm sitting here thinking of how I am going to pay private grammar school tution for my now 3 kids because I dont want them thrown in to a meatgrinder - the bills for 2 of them are now over $12,000 and I get the poor person's discount . . .

Opinions needed

i graduated with a 3.0 and havent took the gmat yet. i will need to make atleast a 600 on it imo. im in the process of checking out which universities around miami have phd programs for business. it will take 4-5 yrs to get the phd and by that time ill be willing to relocate to another area or state for a job.

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-11-2010 05:19 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

So im 24 graduated college in 09. I have two plans that im considering. The first one is to stay in NC and do the air force rotc while i get my MBA. (This isnt a given bc they are cracking down on grad students being allowed into the rotc program towards being a commissioned officer) Other option is to move to miami and work on getting my doctorate degree to become a college professor. Maybe try and become a football grad asst coach. What would yall recommend?

Whats your end game? Professor? Business Executive?

Opinions needed

Why ROTC? Why not do OCS?

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-12-2010 09:00 PM)rumguzzler Wrote:  

Why ROTC? Why not do OCS?

OCS or OTS is MAD hard to get into without some sort of computer IT or engineering degree right now for the Air Force. They just dont need alot of ppl so that allows them to be highly selective.

Opinions needed

I've never been one to have much respect for authority, I personally hate being ordered around and told what to do. Basically I like to live my life at my own pace, by my own rules, therefore I could never be in the military or advise anyone to be be in the military (even the ROTC). There are other options out there, maybe try something different if you're not sure what to do with you life, like teaching abroad or doing the Peace Corps.

Opinions needed

Miami or North Carolina? What decision is there to make?

Opinions needed

miami is uncertainty. im not use to that. but in order to live my life to the fullest i need to make the move imo. it has everything i like. nice beaches, warm weather, tons of latin women & latin clubs. tons of concerts every year.

Opinions needed

Deleted.

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-13-2010 06:01 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

miami is uncertainty. im not use to that. but in order to live my life to the fullest i need to make the move imo. it has everything i like. nice beaches, warm weather, tons of latin women & latin clubs. tons of concerts every year.

Bro, a lot of the same reasons I moved down and I don't regret it at all. Uncertainty can be great! Try it once, after that it may be welcoming. After going to a 3rd world country with uncertainty and everything working out for me, it's a welcoming invitation for me now. It's fun to see what will happen. It's an adventure and makes you a stronger person. That's why so many people stayed in the same small town I came from and will never leave, because they are so comfortable with what they have. There kids will probably be banging there friends kids in highschool. And there grandkids will be doing the same. I didn't want to fuck the same girls I went to highschool whith my whole life, which a lot of my friends are doing to this day. My best friend was telling me about this girl he's been working on that he's known since the 1st grade. Really?!?! Meanwhile I'm telling him about the girl I'm trying to bang from Brazil or Germany. Do you want to have to put effort into banging chicks you've known since the third grade (Alright, maybe you grew up in a big city and this isn't the case, but still!!)?!?! They'll never see 1/4 of the things I'll see. Uncertainty is scary for them (and was for me at one point too). Step out of your comfort zone! You need to get past that. I guarantee everything is going to work out. Think of one time things didn't work themselves out in your life... If they didn't, you wouldn't be here talking with me (so to speak) right now. Trust me man, save a little money and everything will be okay. You know how much I saved to move half way across the country? $1500. Yep, that's it. I'd suggest bringing a little more, because it's been rough for me, but you know what, shits gonna work itself out, and in 3 months, I'll be right back where I was 3 month before, except surrounded by beautiful Latina women, on the beach, with the Caribbean and SA right at my fingertips. Trust me bro, things will work themselves out. It might take a little bit of sacrificing, but if you want it to, it will happen. Only question you should really be asking is.. "Is Miami really where I want to be?" For me it's basically what I thought it was going to be, which is great. Do research, find out if Miami is where you really wanna be. If so, don't even think about it, just do it!

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-11-2010 05:19 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

I would recommend cashing out your student loans and traveling to Colombia and learning spanish and making sweet monkey love to the women there. btw, i'm doin this in my mid-thirties, and thank god I am. I've got plenty of friends that drive a mini van and hate their wife/and bratty kids. No kids here, but I do have some latinas half my age! muahahhahahahahaha

bblver!

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-11-2010 09:04 PM)Jim Kirk Wrote:  

I seriously considered about a US Marine Corp ROTC or Reserve air program out of high school because I wanted to get a hold of Helicopter gunships - the aviation program was an 8 to 10 year committment and that killed it.

I contemplated joining this "ROTC" like program for Engineers after grad school, I watched "Top Gun" when I was younger way too many times. Thus, I always dreamed of flying F-16's and fucking hot women all over the world. What they don't tell you is that even if end up getting kicked out of flight school you still have to do the 8 years commitment.

Quote:Quote:

I would recommend cashing out your student loans and traveling to Colombia and learning spanish and making sweet monkey love to the women there. btw, i'm doin this in my mid-thirties, and thank god I am. I've got plenty of friends that drive a mini van and hate their wife/and bratty kids. No kids here, but I do have some latinas half my age! muahahhahahahahaha

I did something similar to this in my early 20's and its not a good idea. Student Loans are the Herpes of debt. They are not dischargeable by bankruptcy and they stay with you for life(at least 25 years now thanks to Obama). Also, alot of jobs will not hire you if your Student Loans are in default.

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-17-2010 09:35 AM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

Quote: (10-11-2010 09:04 PM)Jim Kirk Wrote:  

I seriously considered about a US Marine Corp ROTC or Reserve air program out of high school because I wanted to get a hold of Helicopter gunships - the aviation program was an 8 to 10 year committment and that killed it.

I contemplated joining this "ROTC" like program for Engineers after grad school, I watched "Top Gun" when I was younger way too many times. Thus, I always dreamed of flying F-16's and fucking hot women all over the world. What they don't tell you is that even if end up getting kicked out of flight school you still have to do the 8 years commitment.

Quote:Quote:

I did something similar to this in my early 20's and its not a good idea. Student Loans are the Herpes of debt. They are not dischargeable by bankruptcy and they stay with you for life(at least 25 years now thanks to Obama). Also, alot of jobs will not hire you if your Student Loans are in default.

Agreed

I would go to a school that offers the lowest amount of school debt as possible since you will have to pay that off or pay the monthly payment for the rest of your life.

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-14-2010 12:10 AM)Brandon E Wrote:  

Quote: (10-13-2010 06:01 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Bro, a lot of the same reasons I moved down and I don't regret it at all. Uncertainty can be great! Try it once, after that it may be welcoming. After going to a 3rd world country with uncertainty and everything working out for me, it's a welcoming invitation for me now. It's fun to see what will happen. It's an adventure and makes you a stronger person. That's why so many people stayed in the same small town I came from and will never leave, because they are so comfortable with what they have. There kids will probably be banging there friends kids in highschool. And there grandkids will be doing the same. I didn't want to fuck the same girls I went to highschool whith my whole life, which a lot of my friends are doing to this day. My best friend was telling me about this girl he's been working on that he's known since the 1st grade. Really?!?! Meanwhile I'm telling him about the girl I'm trying to bang from Brazil or Germany. Do you want to have to put effort into banging chicks you've known since the third grade (Alright, maybe you grew up in a big city and this isn't the case, but still!!)?!?! They'll never see 1/4 of the things I'll see. Uncertainty is scary for them (and was for me at one point too). Step out of your comfort zone! You need to get past that. I guarantee everything is going to work out. Think of one time things didn't work themselves out in your life... If they didn't, you wouldn't be here talking with me (so to speak) right now. Trust me man, save a little money and everything will be okay. You know how much I saved to move half way across the country? $1500. Yep, that's it. I'd suggest bringing a little more, because it's been rough for me, but you know what, shits gonna work itself out, and in 3 months, I'll be right back where I was 3 month before, except surrounded by beautiful Latina women, on the beach, with the Caribbean and SA right at my fingertips. Trust me bro, things will work themselves out. It might take a little bit of sacrificing, but if you want it to, it will happen. Only question you should really be asking is.. "Is Miami really where I want to be?" For me it's basically what I thought it was going to be, which is great. Do research, find out if Miami is where you really wanna be. If so, don't even think about it, just do it!

That is primarily the reason why going out of state is a requirement for me when it comes to graduate school. I realized that if I don't get out of this small town reality now I will be stuck with it for the rest of my life.

Opinions needed

ive decided to do neither at the moment. ive decided to move abroad and teach in south america, asia, and maybe eastern europe for the nxt 4 yrs. im leaving for bogota in may to get my CELTA certification to teach. that with a degree and ill be pretty well desirable and qualified.

looking to teach in colombia first yr, brasil second yr, korea third yr, and thailand and maybe an eastern european country last. then move back to the states (miami)

Opinions needed

Quote: (10-19-2010 03:18 PM)IshGibbor Wrote:  

That is primarily the reason why going out of state is a requirement for me when it comes to graduate school. I realized that if I don't get out of this small town reality now I will be stuck with it for the rest of my life.

Do it while you're still young dude.