rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Egyptian restaurants in NYC/LA/CHI

Anyone know of any worth trying? Seems like I can only find Middle Eastern or Arab places, but not specifically Egyptian. Can be in any city as well.

Thanks

I would check Steinway St. in Astoria in NYC. It's not Manhattan, but that's the area I know with the highest concentration of Egyptians in the city.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=egy...York%2C+NY

Why are you specifically looking for Egyptian restaurants? Steinway St in Astoria is known as "Little Egypt" but its something of a misnomer, yu see many more Levlbanese restaurants. Many hookah bars and islamic fashion shops as well and mid eastern markets. I dont think most restaurants are staffed on national lines. Dudes working at Lebanese restaurants may not actually be lebanes, etc.

Lebanese seems to be the "Mexican" of Arab food.

Trying to find specifically Egyptian restaurants. I've always been interested in the culture and wanted to try it.

Mombar is my recommendation for NYC.

It's in Queens, but then again if you want some truly authentic food that hasn't been Americanized for the taste buds of transplants you have to cross the East River.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mombar-astoria

Are you looking for a proper sit-down place? If so, there's Mazzat in Brooklyn that's decent. It's Egyptian/Lebanese.

I also know of one Egyptian spot near my boy's crib in Park Slope on 7th Ave. It's called Mr. Falafel. Good shawarmas and, of course, falafels. Seating space isn't that good though.

When in doubt in NYC, look in Queens and Brooklyn. Those two boroughs have the most diverse populations and thus the most options for great cuisine. You also get the added bonus of having to usually pay less than most places in Manhattan.

Thanks, haven't been to NYC in a while. Will definitely check those out next time I'm there.