rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

MaleDefined Goes Off The Radar In Peru

Here's what happens when I spend 18 hours in airport land: I type two data sheets totaling over 6000 words. I can promise you this data sheet is fresh and there is little to no information about either of these destinations.

An important part of travel for me is getting my head straight, disconnecting from the internet, telephone and reconnecting with who I am as a person. Each year, sometimes multiple times a year, I throw away communication with the outside world. Previous examples have been living in the French Alps, hiking back hills in Thailand, or having a guys weekend at a friend's summer house where we purposely leave cell phones and computers at home. This year after my jaunt in Brazil, I went to Peru for two and a half weeks, which included hiking the Inca Trail, and a week in the Amazon jungle. No, not the Amazon.com jungle, but the actual Amazon jungle full of every bit of wildlife you've seen on the Discovery Channel.

Out of the 17 days in Peru, I took exactly two hot showers, had a 1995-type internet connection for three days, approached zero Peruvian women in an attempt to have sex, and it felt great.

Part I: The Inca Trail

After a brutal 18 hour acclimation at 11,500 feet in Cuzco I set off for four nights to hike the Inca Trail. Frankly, it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The 8-12 hour daily hike, beginning at 6AM tested my fitness at altitudes that I'd never hiked at before. One day of the hike lasts 12.5 hours and sees you begin the day at 9,500 feet, before a lung-searing climb to 13,900 feet, before dropping back down to 10,000 feet, then again closing the day with a 3-4 hour climb back to 13,400 feet. The 9.5 miles hiked with 7,000 feet in altitude change in one day left me physically and emotionally defeated.

However, the payouts are immense. The Peruvian government strictly limits the number of people allowed to hike the Inca trail, meaning that it's unlikely you'll encounter other people for days, sans the small group you're hiking with. You get to freely walk around and explore many of the Inca ruins that are inaccessible to anyone else besides people on the Inca Trail. It is largely original stonework, in tact from the Inca Empire. It was fascinating to learn about them and explore them. It was a mystical feeling walking around the ruins, especially when you got up close and noticed the engineered perfection of them, considering there is not recorded information about the type of mathematics or communication system they used.

Frankly, the greatest disappointment was Machu Picchu itself. After hiking for days, engaging in gut-busting climbs and appreciating unparalleled views of snow-capped Andes peaks in the distance, Machu Picchu was a clusterfuck of the worst kinds of tourists; the type of tourists who treat traveling like a checklist. They're rude, pushy and have traveled half way across the world for that iconic photo of Machu Picchu that you've probably seen a thousand times, just to say they've been there. At one point, I was gratuitously taking photos of the site and my accomplishments, having not showered in hot or cold water in over four days, and this British girl has the audacity to yell at me to move so I'm not in her photo. She yells at me, “I woke up at 2:30 in the fucking morning to get on a bus here today to do this, have some respect.” Instead of slapping her down an 8000 foot cliff, I looked at her and laughed with my face covered in dirt and my armpits able to be smelled from a mile away.

Part II: Off The Rails In Iquitos

Ever since I heard about the city of Iquitos, an Amazon jungle entry point in the north of Peru, and the largest city in the world inaccessible to the outside world by car I knew I had to get there. A small part of me wanted to explore this completely off the path city, but most of me wanted to see the Amazon rainforest. Of all the 'there's no way you've actually been there' destinations in the world, I can only think of Saharan Africa and Antarctica as the two that can match the audacity of going deep in the Amazon.

A bit of a clarification – there's going to the Amazon in Peru to a place called the Pacaya-Samaria reserve, which is a 3-4 hour boat ride from Iquitos, and while still the 'Amazon' it's been heavily logged and contains few endangered species. Then there's going deep into the Amazon, hours beyond where civilization as we know it exists. My traveling partner and I had the budget and time to dive deep into the Amazon and words cannot describe the shit I dealt with. We were a full twelve hours on speed boat from Iquitos. A bite from an Amazonian Pit Viper, or a serious injury and your life is in real jeopardy due to the remoteness of where we were. On the way out there, we stopped in this town, if you'd like to call it that, named Requena and we stopped the town upon our arrival. Kids were touching us because they'd never seen a white person before. There was a federal policeman in the town who asked for our passports and gave us a minute long handshake and bow because he'd never met an American before.

From Requena we continued another four hours into the jungle where we arrived at a small gazebo-like 'lodge' enclosed by a mosquito net this guy had built by hand, where we subsequently stayed for the next four nights sleeping in hammocks listening to the rhythmic sounds of the jungle at night. The dreams I had those nights were as positive, vivid and lucid of dreams as I can ever remember having, without a doubt due to the sounds from the jungle playing in my head.

A brief background on the guy who bought and preserves this part of the Peruvian Amazon: he grew up in the Brazilian Amazon, has a savant like understanding of the jungle and its flora and fauna, joined the Brazilian Army, was quickly promoted to their equivalent of their Black Ops division because of his fitness and uncanny survival skills, climbed K2 and calls Everest an overpriced hike. Easily the most bad-ass, alpha male motherfucker I have ever met. Over a few beers, he told me without actually telling me that there's people in Brazil who want him dead for one reason or another.

One day during our daily 10 hour 'walks' as he would like to call them in the jungle, we were caught in a torrential jungle downpour, basically turning the jungle we were walking through into a swamp up to our stomach. Gumboots flooded, fire-ants crawling in my head and down my back, I really thought this was the end of life as I knew it. At one point, he turns around and says, “MaleDefined, pain and suffering is all psychological. You can train your brain to shut pain out. It is just your emotions telling you that something is wrong. Nothing is wrong. You are still walking, and still alive. In fact you have never been so alive in your life.” At that point I let out a primal scream. I'm not sure if it was a release of the pain or the celebration that I was so alive, but it was one of the best feelings I've ever felt. Wow.

I'd never wish the jungle, the real Amazon jungle on anyone, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. It was that intense and unforgivably real. It's those moments when you realize death is a reality when you truly become alive.

If you're interested in experiencing the real Amazon, then shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the guy.

I popped back into Iquitos for one night, and Jesus what a city. It's more South East Asian than South East Asia itself. Since it's inaccessible by car, the method of transportation is tuk-tuk. Iquitos is seemingly a lawless place. As an American ex-pat I was talking to put it, “No one comes out here to live in Iquitos unless they have a reason.” Thought provoking, yet equally scary. Modern formalities such as driving ages, traffic rules, and education are mere suggestions here. Cocaine is sold pretty openly in the streets and through a conversation with an ex-pat whose running a pretty decent restaurant down there, the right amount of money can buy you pretty much anything there. Anything. Organs, children, assassinations, drugs. Anything.

An interesting business proposition here would be opening an Ayahuasca themed cafe/restaurant or hostel to help comfort or prepare visitors heading out for Ayahuasca ceremonies. Iquitos is the epicenter for the Ayahuasca retreat, however for those of you interested in heading out there, be very very careful about who you're doing business with. There are a lot of hack shamans and companies who will steal your money. Remember, Iquitos is the wild west, and when dealing with things such as drugs, anything goes. Though in a way I can see one American or Brit having a bad or deadly Ayahuasca experience before the foreign governments put pressure on Peru to clean the Ayahuasca experience up. I was pretty much the only visitor I came across that wasn't there for Ayahuasca, so for some of you curious, I apologize for not being a beacon of information.

My last night there, I hit up a few bars of which I can't remember their names. I'm half certain they don't even have names. I was down at a few open air bars down on the docks of the Amazon, which are really cool spots but seemed pretty dead. I then hit up the 'in' club a few blocks away, and while I was definitely given the fish out of water stare by pretty much everyone in there, the club itself was pretty dead for a Friday. Girls will definitely give you attention, but it's more as a 'what the fuck are you doing here', rather than an overtly sexual vibe. I'd say Spanish is essential if you want to smash in this town. Moreover, the girls were collectively pretty ugly. I was absolutely drunk by the time I got to this club, so my limited Spanish was even weaker, and with an early flight the next morning, I cut my losses.

Iquitos is a pretty rough and tumble town, and if you plan on going out late at night, it's essential you speak fluent Spanish, or are with someone who does. There were a few situations where local youths were heckling us while walking around, but the gringo I was with who spoke fluent Spanish was able to diffuse the situation and even make friends with the kids.

Overall, go to Iquitos if you're looking for a one of a kind jungle experience, or have extensively studied Ayahuasca. I would not recommend Iquitos to a green traveler looking for a bit of an adventure. You'll find yourself ripped off at every turn of the corner at minimum, and in some rough situations if not careful.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of weeks without contact without the outside world. It was fun to reconnect with the world after having no idea what was going on after a week. Yet at the same time, it made me realize how little of true consequence actually goes on that's important to my life. As long as I got back to reality to find my friends and family going well, I didn't care how the market did, what politician said what, or what country dropped a bomb on who.

Health, happiness and personal growth are truly the only things a man needs to be successful in the world. Getting away from what we like to think of reality is a powerful way for us to do that. I encourage all of you to partake in experiences such as the one I had in Peru, these past two weeks. You'll be amazed at how much clutter you remove from your life and how motivated to be productive you will become.

Case in point, I wrote two data sheets totaling 19 pages when double spaced today on my flights home. Sure it was partly to give back to the community, but it was mostly to get my ideas down on a page and give my brain a chance to produce. Today's writing felt fucking great!

As always, I'll do my best to clarify and answer any burning questions.

+1.

Sounds like an epic adventure.

I'm glad you made some time to check out Peru. I always tell people that's where you go to experience the real and raw nature aspect of South America. The geographic diversity is truly stunning. Amazonian jungle, Andean mountains, Colca Canyon (twice as deep as the Grand Canyon), sand dunes in Ica (largest in the world after the Sahara), and a long coastline with endless beaches.

I also did the four-day trek to Machu Picchu which was hands down one of the most profound experiences I've ever had. I also agree that Machu Picchu itself was anti-climatic compared to the trek to get there.

I even bonded really well with our guide who grew up in Iquitos and was the Peruvian McGuyver. This dude knew everything about plants and wildlife along the trek. He hadn't been to Iquitos in 11 years because he left to make something of himself and learned English and made a decent living as a tour guide on the Inca trek. He invited me to join him on a trip a few weeks later to Iquitos where he would just take a machete, lantern and salt (for fish he would cook) and just live off the land for a month. I was tempted but decided that it would be in my best interest to just explore the rest of South America, so I never went to Iquitos.

Great post. +1

"One day during our daily 10 hour 'walks' as he would like to call them in the jungle, we were caught in a torrential jungle downpour, basically turning the jungle we were walking through into a swamp up to our stomach. Gumboots flooded, fire-ants crawling in my head and down my back, I really thought this was the end of life as I knew it."

Please elaborate on that, I´m not sure how I should imagine it

+1

MD excellent report on Peru.

I did the Inca trail back in 2007, it was incredible.

I gotta check out Iquitos someday, I did a four day trip to the amazon from Pucallpa, great memories.

If anyone is interested in Ayahuasca, this is a pretty interesting article http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/the-...a-20130215

I've had crazy aches and pains with a fever hovering around 102-103 since Wednesday afternoon. I'm right in the thick of it in terms of incubation period for a whole slew of jungle diseases.

If this fever doesn't break by Sunday, I figure I'll go off to the ER or to a Travel Doctor. I'm not much of a hypochondriac so I'm not thinking worst case scenario. Most likely Dengue Fever, which after researched, isn't really that bad.

Any input from a doctor would be really appreciated. I'll give a more exact rundown of my symptoms via PM.

For those who have made the trek what did you pay?

I've seen prices 4 day/3night prices at 350 on the low end and 850 a person on the high end.

What's a reputable company?

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Fever broke. Looks like I won't die from a jungle related disease.

Quote: (09-02-2013 02:14 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

Fever broke. Looks like I won't die from a jungle related disease.

I wonder how many indigenous tribes will disappear from MD introducing small pox?

Tell me more about Iquitos. So the women weren't very flirtatious there? I know what you mean about the "what the fuck are you doing here" stare. I found it quite unnerving. I just had the sense that I was going to get mugged if I stayed there long enough.

When I went out into the jungle, I definitely didn't go as far as you did. The tiny riverside villages I saw had definitely seen gringos before, and were definitely not as friendly as the ones you saw.

I too had the experience of stopping at a little dock on a small tributary river to have my passport looked over by some official. Any idea why they care so much out in the middle of the jungle?

Wow, if you went out of Iquitos the shanty town(and I mean that in the least derogatory way possible) that you may have stopped in was Requena. The same thing happened to me. I have a feeling it's to catch those out there for logging, or exploiting some other type of resource or wildlife. The value of the natural resources out in this part of the world is incredible, so it makes sense to toss a couple of decently paid government officials out there to stop it.

Tell me, was this town near your final destination in the Pacaya Samaria reserve?

Quote: (10-24-2013 08:13 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

Wow, if you went out of Iquitos the shanty town(and I mean that in the least derogatory way possible) that you may have stopped in was Requena. The same thing happened to me. I have a feeling it's to catch those out there for logging, or exploiting some other type of resource or wildlife. The value of the natural resources out in this part of the world is incredible, so it makes sense to toss a couple of decently paid government officials out there to stop it.

Tell me, was this town near your final destination in the Pacaya Samaria reserve?

No, I was in the Tamshiyacu - Tahuayo Reserve. Definitely a once in a lifetime trip. I would never go back, because there were way too many bugs. Hiking through the forest it just seemed like everything wanted to kill you: thorny vines, quicksand, fireants, vipers. You'd step somewhere and then your boot would sink in about a foot and you'd go to grab a tree trunk to pull yourself out, only to realize the tree was a palm tree with six-inch long needles covering its trunk.

The guides I went with were hilarious because they would walk through the jungle in their shirt sleeves and clouds of mosquitos would be biting them the whole time. Then they'd show me a little bump in their skin and tell me to watch out for the yellow mosquitos because they lay eggs under your skin and then a little worm hatches and it's a very painful experience.

I was there during the dry season looking 20 feet up into the canopy at the waterline on the tree trunks. The place is basically underwater during the rainy season. The best place to be was in a boat in the middle of the river, because there weren't many bugs. I saw a lot of pink river dolphins. One night we went out on the river in a motor boat, and our boat "woke up" all the fish in the river. There were literally thousands of fish jumping out of the water, hitting the hull of the boat, and making a thunking sound the entire time. Then it got really intense and the fish starting flying out of the water and landing in the boat and hitting us. One hit me in the face, so I just ducked down for the rest of the boat ride. Most surreal experience I've ever had.

Quote: (11-05-2013 02:57 PM)rudder Wrote:  

One night we went out on the river in a motor boat, and our boat "woke up" all the fish in the river. There were literally thousands of fish jumping out of the water, hitting the hull of the boat, and making a thunking sound the entire time. Then it got really intense and the fish starting flying out of the water and landing in the boat and hitting us. One hit me in the face, so I just ducked down for the rest of the boat ride. Most surreal experience I've ever had.

I saw some nature channel clip on television with fish jumping like crazy like you describe and into the boat, but i did NOT know whether something like that was real - b/c it seemed to be a bit too much - like how could there be what seems to be an imbalance of so many fish?

And, then the fish are more or less committing suicide by jumping out of the water. Apparently, the jumping is instinctual to escape their environment when the environment is being disturbed.

I was recently in the Allpahuayo-Mishana Reserve. I don't think it was quite as imposing as the places you guys went to. We were a little higher up and were off the Nanay River. The Nanay River is a blackwater river, which means it is more acidic than other rivers. So, I don't think it gets the wildlife that the other rivers get. We went on two hikes during eleven days. Each was over a mile and then back.

Incidentally, MaleDefined, most of your boat ride was on the Ucayali River, not the Amazon. The Ucayali and the Marañon Rivers come together at Nauta to form the Amazon. I was in the jungle in late May and one day in June. What time of year were you guys there?

I was also out of connection for eleven days. We were only about thirteen miles from Iquitos via a straight line though.

Wow. Iquitos. Nauta. I'll never forget those names.

Nauta was my jumping off spot into the Amazon. I spent a night in this lawless town as well. From what I remember, I had nothing to do during the day because there is nothing to do there so I decided lunch time was a prime opportunity to get competeky drunk and practice Spanish. One woman offered her daughter to me from what my hazy memory remembers. From there, I took a 12 hour boat ride into the Tapice-Ohara Reserve.

Wild times. I would never do it again, but I recommend it to everyone.

Quote: (07-12-2017 11:38 AM)TheBulldozer Wrote:  

One woman offered her daughter to me from what my hazy memory remembers. From there, I took a 12 hour boat ride into the Tapice-Ohara Reserve.

Wild times. I would never do it again, but I recommend it to everyone.

What do you mean by "offered"? Was she trying to marry her daughter off? How old was her daughter?

I told my story here:

thread-63722.html