rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to stay in the EU for more than 90 days?

As I understand, non-EU citizens can stay in the EU for 90 days in a 180 days period. Are there Canadians, Australians or New Zealanders here? We can stay in the UK for 180 days and the UK has NOT joined the Schengen agreement. So, will this plan work? -
Stay for 90 in the EU, then stay in the UK for 90 days and then go back to the EU for next 90 days.

I'm interested in this thread since I was pondering a 90 day in Schengen and 90 day in Morocco semi-permanent living situation.

The most comprehensive source I've found is a post by Nomadic Matt. It's worth a read, but I don't think it quite answers the specific question you have posed on here.

I have a feeling that your plan doesn't work because the 90 day counter starts immediately upon entry.

Call the day you enter the EU "Day 1". You have to exit on Day 90, but then your counter starts on Day 90 once you enter UK. Thus, you can only stay until Day 179, not Day 180. I don't think you can reenter Schengen until Day 181.

Anybody can corroborate this? This has been bothering me a bit as I am not 100% sure on this, but this seems to be in line with the documentation that I have read.

Also, I think New Zealand citizens can stay in Schengen longer as they have a special policy for them. The technicality here is that
you can reset the 90 clock by switching countries, so the 180 day counter is largely eliminated. Here's the wikipedia page on that.

What happens if you overstay?

Quote: (08-17-2013 06:37 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

Not sure. At least they will cause problems when entering next time.

Quote: (08-17-2013 06:37 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

Happened to an Australian friend of mine completely by accident. She'd been interrailing around the E.U. and just completely forgot to keep track of the number of days. Was pulled up on it when she tried to leave the E.U., got a 3 year ban. That was just for a couple of days too, I'd say if you were well over it you'd get a lengthier ban.

One thing about the link you posted is he keeps referring to passport stamps. Ultimately, I believe they go by the SIS II, i.e. the computer system. I mean are the immigration officials really going to flip through all 40+ pages of your passport and cross-reference each entry and exit stamp, vs just looking in the computer?

Also, remember Cyprus, Romania, Croatia, and Bulgaria (along with UK and Ireland) are not part of the Schengen system. So you could split your time between each of those countries and the Schengen area.

I do like his idea on the webpage about getting a long-term tourist visa from France, Sweden, etc. That would work. Once you are in the Schengen area, you can move freely, so just get a 1-year Swedish tourist visa (for example) and spend all your time in Poland if you like.

Here's a possible solution to living indefinitely in the EU for American citizens:

As Roosh mentioned in his book "Why can't I use a smiley face", Poland is one country in Schengen that lets Americans live there continuously, as long as they enter/exit the country once every 90-days, even for just a coffee in Prague or Berlin, for instance.

As I found with the links below, Poland and the USA signed an agreement on April 4th 1991 that predates Schengen travel rules and has been grandfathered in.

So the solution would be to fly into/out of Europe via Warsaw direct from the USA, and use Poland as the "home base" for Europe. You would tell any border agents that you've been living in Poland, and have left the country at least once every 90 days (make sure to have receipts for travels to other countries). HOWEVER, in reality, since there are no internal passport checks within Schengen, you could travel/live anywhere in Europe the whole time. For even 5 years. Just make sure to leave/enter Europe via Poland.

http://www.polishforums.com/travel-touri...ays-63176/

http://travel.stackexchange.com/question...day-period

Note: I have not tried this, but it seems feasible based on the evidence

This thread may be worth a browse.

The way I did it is I went ahead and got a student visa. It's a straightforward process and if you provide all the necessary documents, you can stay for a year and renew the visa afterward as you progress toward your degree.

The drawback of course is you have to pay tuition and actually have to attend classes. If you do this, enroll at a private school since they'll probably accept you automatically and not be so stringent regarding academic standards. Some schools even have part time programs.

Other options I've heard of:

German artist visa: You can get a renewable residence permit in Germany if you're a freelancer. And I take it you can just roam or reside in other Schengen countries as long as you have a German address as your home base. Only thing is you'll need pay taxes to German government on your earnings.

German language course: You can enroll in a german language class and get residency for he duration of the class, which can be yearlong. And I don't think they don't check whether you actually attend classes and you can go to other Schengen countries as well. The drawback is the cost of the course and you'll have to show you have enough money in your bank account to support yourself during this duration of your stay.

Registered partnership in the Netherlands: You can get two years of residency if you can demonstrate you're in a relationship and living with the girl who's a resident. The nice thing is you don't actually have to be married to the person. Drawback is you have to go there and have a girl who will vouch for you. All these options are nice in that having residency in one country will allow you to easily stay in the Schengen countries.

Yes, I did read about doing border crossings from Poland and coming back in after a day or so. But it's not officially stated anywhere and I couldn't get any immigration officials there to go on record and state that I can do this consistently so it still seems to arbitrary to me to be foolproof. I'll try to do this when I'm in Poland every three months and see if it works. If they don't let me back in, I'll use my student visa as a backup. Remember, if it works once, doesn't prove the rule. It needs to be a reliably verifiable method.

Hope this all helps!

So let's say your 90 days are up, and you leave. When are you allowed to come back?

That's a little better for new Zealanders, but whats the difference between that and being an American who stays in a Schengen country for 90 days and then goes to Croatia for another 90 before coming back in? We can all figure out a way to stay in Europe as long as we want. But the hope is to stay in a particular country without having to leave for three months. And New Zealanders don't have a distinct advantage in regards to that

I guess as a New Zealander you can reside in a border town in Germany in the meantime and get the girl from Poland to take the train to visit you, but that's still not ideal.

Quote: (08-17-2013 06:20 AM)theArbiter Wrote:  

Also, I think New Zealand citizens can stay in Schengen longer as they have a special policy for them. The technicality here is that
you can reset the 90 clock by switching countries, so the 180 day counter is largely eliminated. Here's the wikipedia page on that.

Quote: (08-17-2013 04:29 PM)paninaro Wrote:  

Also, remember Cyprus, Romania, Croatia, and Bulgaria (along with UK and Ireland) are not part of the Schengen system. So you could split your time between each of those countries and the Schengen area.

That could work. The only problem is that weather is shit in Europe in autumn / winter. Let's say I spend May, June and July in Sweden, then I could go to Cyprus and stay there for August, September and October (I guess weather will be good there). Then I am allowed to go back to the EU and stay there for November, December and January. But I think I'd not want to be there in winter.

I do like his idea on the webpage about getting a long-term tourist visa from France, Sweden, etc. That would work. Once you are in the Schengen area, you can move freely, so just get a 1-year Swedish tourist visa (for example) and spend all your time in Poland if you like.

That's a good idea. Where can I read more about it?

BTW, how is Spain, Italy and Greece in winter?

Quote: (08-18-2013 01:57 PM)dontuan Wrote:  

That's a little better for new Zealanders, but whats the difference between that and being an American who stays in a Schengen country for 90 days and then goes to Croatia for another 90 before coming back in? We can all figure out a way to stay in Europe as long as we want. But the hope is to stay in a particular country without having to leave for three months. And New Zealanders don't have a distinct advantage in regards to that

I guess as a New Zealander you can reside in a border town in Germany in the meantime and get the girl from Poland to take the train to visit you, but that's still not ideal.

Quote: (08-17-2013 06:20 AM)theArbiter Wrote:  

Read what I wrote about the 90 out of 180 day obstacle. This is a real killer:

Quote:Quote:

Call the day you enter the EU "Day 1". You have to exit on Day 90, but then your counter starts on Day 90 once you enter UK. Thus, you can only stay until Day 179, not Day 180. I don't think you can reenter Schengen until Day 181.
(typo: by EU, I meant Schengen)

If what I say is true, then you need a THIRD country to buffer that pesky 179th and 180th day. Thus, you CAN'T do 90 day in Croatia and 90 day in Schengen unless you buffer through another non-Schengen country.

New Zealanders, on the other hand, according to Wikipedia, aren't met with this restriction as long as they rotate between countries with "individual bilateral visa waiver agreements" (not all Schengen countries are in here). For example, you can go to Belgium for 90 days, switch to the Netherlands for 90 days, switch to Denmark for 90 days, and so and and so forth. In fact, I think you can visit Belgium for 90 days, cross the border to one of such countries, and re-enter again without waiting 91/92 days.

Going to a Schengen country without such individual bilateral visa waiver agreements, however, completely invalidates this resulting in the default Schengen rules being applied.

Again, I would like to see someone corroborate this because this is my painstaking interpretation of the documentation out there. I'm not aware of many people thinking of such a strategy, and I think for this reason, there is a dearth of information about this "90 day in each of two countries" attempt.

dupe

Quote: (08-18-2013 11:49 PM)Northern Wrote:  

That's a good idea. Where can I read more about it?

Well it was on that guy's website, so I assume he has all the details. There is a reference to a D-Visa for Sweden on their official site: http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/142_en.html but it's unclear how to actually qualify.

If you want to buffer a 90 day switch in and out of schengen you can stay in London for a day or two before returning to a schengen country. Besides, Flying to and from a nonschengen country like Croatia you would probably be routing two flights through Ryan air or one of the discount airlines which would require you to go from that city (like krakow) to London and then London to Croatia. London would be your buffer and its still the cheapest and most convenient mode of transportation.

Quote: (08-19-2013 01:14 AM)theArbiter Wrote:  

You have to exit on Day 90, but then your counter starts on Day 90 once you enter UK. Thus, you can only stay until Day 179, not Day 180. I don't think you can reenter Schengen until Day 181.

(typo: by EU, I meant Schengen)

If what I say is true, then you need a THIRD country to buffer that pesky 179th and 180th day. Thus, you CAN'T do 90 day in Croatia and 90 day in Schengen unless you buffer through another non-Schengen country.