rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What book changed your life?

Mine would be Selected Non-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges.

http://www.amazon.com/Borges-Selected-No...0140290117

I read the book when I was 19 and it encouraged me not to give a fuck and just to dive into any and every area of interest I had. It is a template for the life of the intellectual who is just as interested in 12th century Norse mythology as he is the works of GK Chesterton, the concept of infinity, the philosophy of Pascal, the religious visions of Swedenborg, the plays of Shakespeare, the Kabbalah, and the writings of Homer. Among many many others...

It is a unique book and its astonishing variety really encouraged me to read fearlessly and without limits. And not to be afraid to throw myself into new areas that I knew nothing about. After reading the book - I stopped going to lectures and started a journey of reading instead.

And that started a snowball rolling in my mind which has being steadily getting bigger for the past 12 years.

The book itself is almost like jumping from one random wikipedia article to the next. And is a testament to the fact that Borges considered himself a reader first. And a writer second.

I absorbed the book so completely that I have never read it again. I consumed it like a meal. And ever since it has acted as an inspiration more than any other book.

It changed my life.

No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover

I lent it to a couple of friends, the second of which never returned it. I don't even care, because he needs it. I will probably just buy another copy, because the book is that valuable.

The author is a Psychologist who gets into the psyche of "nice guys", breaks that shit down (with scary accuracy), and gives guys concrete ways to improve their quality of life.

The Four-Hour Workweek.

Gets a lot of hate but that book was a huge inspiration for me and a big part of the reason I live the life I do today.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I'm a self-professed right winger, although whilst Noam Chomsky, John Pilger and John Perkins have written altered my views, I'm right wing in terms of feminism, gay-rights etc. However I'm pretty left wing when it comes to modern warfare as I know why it happens, and I'm not happy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Two for me are: A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, and The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson.

I'm planning on reading more Borges. I read The Circular Ruins a year ago and enjoyed it.

For those who want to know more about me. This is what my study looks like:

The Alchemist.

How has no one claimed this one yet? Bang by Roosh V.

My friend who bought it for me said "sweet lord, I should have never bought you that book. You don't even have to be creative anymore, you just run your 'routine' and the girl gets just as sparkly eyed as the girl who bought your speech last night" My life changed when I realized there was nothing 'special' to picking up women.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

The Autobiography of Malcom X by Alex Lena.

And I am not nearly the only one.

Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters

http://www.amazon.com/Men-Strike-Boycott...594036756/

Dr. Smith concisely describes how American society has become anti-male. As a result, men are opting for non-participation. A stand-out chapter is "Why Does Dad Stay in the Basement?" (pages 95-118), which posits that too many women view men as "perverts, predators, and goofballs." This chapter brings to mind the TV and radio commercials with dumb husbands being put in their place by their rude, condescending wives. Usually a callow male says or does something stupid, and then the wife sneers, "Slow down there, champ! Time to grow up and stop being a moron!" Imagine the outrage if the roles were reversed.

Has any man out there ever felt sick when he saw a portrayal of us as perverts, predators, and goofballs? Have our hearts started pounding and our breathing become shallow? Now, just imagine if you could press a button and instantly change all those thousands of commercials from women calling their husbands idiots to men telling their wives to calm down, grow up, and stop being so stupid. Pause and think of the global hysteria. All double standards are enraging, but one of the worst is, "I am woman hear me roar, but I'm just a girl, so stop being mean to me."

I just finished Manipulated Man(like 3 hours ago), pretty eye opening book. Really changed my outlook on the gender roles and lifes social conditioning. Definitely should lend it to a few friends to get em popping the red pill.

The Hedonist's Handbook.

Just made me way more chill and not so concerned about the world and just ENJOY LIFE.

Quote: (08-06-2013 03:30 PM)Freddy_1 Wrote:  

The Alchemist.

One of the best books I have ever read. I saved up 2 months allowance to get my own copy of that book. What got to me the most is when the king told about everyone's personal legend. I got really sad when he talked about how people lose their personal legend forever when they ignore it to long to do what other want them to do.

so many, where to start...

les 48 lois de pouvoir
un petit cours d'autodéfense intellectuelle
the god delusion
what to say when you talk to yourself
the game

Quote: (08-06-2013 07:12 PM)ItalianSomalian Wrote:  

Quote: (08-06-2013 03:30 PM)Freddy_1 Wrote:  

The Alchemist.

One of the best books I have ever read. I saved up 2 months allowance to get my own copy of that book. What got to me the most is when the king told about everyone's personal legend. I got really sad when he talked about how people lose their personal legend forever when they ignore it to long to do what other want them to do.

hey, this is on my list, no spoilers!

[Image: stfu.gif] [Image: tongue.gif]

Wayne Dyer - How to Be a No-Limit Person. This is an audio recording from the 1970's. I listened to it during one of three of the most transformative points in my life. A friends parents gave it to me and I used to drive around in a beat up old mazda pick up truck and listen to it. In my opinion his best work.

If you are in sales, this was a fantastic book;
http://www.amazon.com/Raised-Myself-Fail...067179437X

-End the Fed by Ron Paul

If people understood where 98% of the money goes there'll be revolution and violence on the streets tomorrow.

-The Lucifer Effect by Phillip Zimbardo

Never underestimate the baser side of human nature and how quickly ordinary, decent people can fall from grace.

-Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Never come between an Ahab and his whale. Keep your obsessions in check lest they consume you.

-The First Heretic and Betrayer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Even though they're fiction science fiction books I find the tragedies behind the characters fascinstinating. It's important to check where your loyalty lies. The study of brotherhood forged by the hammer and anvil of war and faith. It reminded me not to let my hatred and anger for the world and my time in the service lest I become a broken, scarred, husk of hatred like many of the characters. Even if you have the most noble of intentions you still have to be careful of the path you stray because it can just as easily lead you to damnation.

-The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

Don't put the pussy on a pedestal.

redacted

Gilbert Highet, "The Classical Tradition."
It should be required reading for all high school freshmen, or at least those who want a shortcut to taste and refinement.

Quote: (08-06-2013 03:18 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

The Four-Hour Workweek.

Gets a lot of hate but that book was a huge inspiration for me and a big part of the reason I live the life I do today.

Same for me.

4HWW and also Vagabonding, Do Travel Writers Go To Hell, Imagine: a Vagabond Story, and A Dead Bat In Paraguay.

while growing up. these made the most difference in my life.

scientific textbooks. (it made me see the world in a totally different context)

the Bible (and other religious texts). again made me see the world in different ways.

Beyond Good and Evil/Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche.
(again, made a strong impact on me.)

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein.(strong impact)

Collected Works of Wallace Stevens/ Jorge Luis Bourges. (strong impact)

The musical compositions of frederic francois Chopin.(strong impact)

A year from now you will wish you had started today.....May fortune favours the bold.

Non Fiction (a collection of stories) by Chuck Palahniuk.

Makes one see that he lives in a fishbowl. The world is a vast place and most of us know only their neighbourhood, and that only superficially. Also shows a non-rich, non-money chasing outlook on life.

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

A bit dated in parts, but still a great read.

This book below introduced me to NLP. which somehow came up in a conversation I had with a girl at this beach party I did not want to go to but my friends dragged me to it. I was all kinds of beta back then. but NLP was really really interesting. so that was what i talked about with passion about. and this girl got hooked. and .. wham. bam. thank you mam. 4,5 years later I was divorced from her and with a 3 year old kid.

no book bested this in my life so far

http://www.amazon.com/Frogs-into-Princes...0911226192

NLP is an explicit and powerful model of human experience and communication. Using the principles of NLP it is possible to describe any human activity in a detailed way that allows you to make many deep and lasting changes quickly and easily.

A few specific examples of things you can learn to accomplish are: (1) cure phobias and other unpleasant feeling responses in less than an our, (@0 help children and adults with "learning disabilities" (spelling and reading problems, etc.) overcome these limitations, often in less than an hour, (3) eliminate most unwanted habits - smoking, drinking, over-eating, insomnia, etc., in a few sessions, (4) make changes in the interactions of couples, families and organizations so that they function in ways that are more satisfying and productive, (5) cure many physical problems - not only most of those recognized as "psychosomatic" but also some that are not - in a few sessions.

Actually, NLP can do much more than the kinds of remedial work mentioned above. The same principles can be used to study people who are unusually talented in any way, in order to determine the structure of that talent. That structure can then be quickly taught to others to give them the foundation for that same ability. This kind of intervention results in generative change, in which people learn to generate and create new talents and behaviors for themselves and others. A side effect of such generative change is that many of the problem behaviors that would otherwise have been targets for remedial change simply disappear.

We are on the threshold of a quantum jump in human experience and capability.

Courage -- The Joy of Living Dangerously (by Osho)