rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Drunken Rhodes Scholar [about to start college; asking advice]

Hi,

I've never actually done many interesting things. I have some intellectual pursuits, but those aside, my life is actually quite bland - drinking with my buddies is one of the main highlights...

The title is a reference to something Cal Newport said in his book called How To Be A Straight-A Student. Essentially, he doesn't believe that you need to be a grind to achieve straight As and you can do that while not being constantly stressed or overwhelmed, and also living a fulfilling lifestyle.

The "getting good grades" part is certainly incredibly valuable, but what I am more interested in right now is the "how to lead a more fulfilling and interesting life" part. This post here shows examples of what I mean. While I have no intentions of being a Rhodes Scholar (or the Dos Equis guy), I think that people who are like that can be a good standard image for any young man to aspire to.

I will soon start college in Europe in a STEM field. Somewhat close to Amsterdam, and tuition is minimal. I can actually travel all the way to Groningen for free with my student card.

What could I possibly do or learn? Archery? Hunting? Bouldering? History of the world? Cooking? (for e.g: I don't know how to skin a fish :O) Multiple dance styles? Acting?

I think what is key here is that there should be a certain level of understanding associated with those skills. So, not just being able to cook a great meal, but also understanding why say, adding X sauce just before removing the meat off the pan will create Y effect.

And of course, all of this ties in with game. All other things being equal, a man with those skills/accomplishments/interests has a higher SMV than a version of himself who does not. The same way that a more muscular version of himself has a higher SMV than one who looks like he was considered for the role of The Machinist. That said, I see better game and access to better quality women as a consequence of these achievements/skills/etc, and the primary motivation behind this is simply the need/want to be better.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Eventually, I intend on making myself a clearly laid out plan for these goals, and as I progress, perhaps I will start writing about them. The Mark Manson post on Life Purpose is also of interest here.

Frank.

Sup

Well I'd have to say first good for picking a STEM major. Let's pray for the kids with the shitty degrees later.

Out of those skills that you've listed, I just divided them into like three traits that Pokemon (girls) will see once you become really good at them.

Masculine: Archery, Bouldering, Cooking, Lifting
Intelligence: World History
General Game: Multiple Dance Styles, Acting

Lifting is a added bonus there, but you get the picture. Since you want to have a great understanding with these skills, it is best for you to specialize in one skill from each of the categories. Or just pick 3 skills at random and go in on them.

From personal experience, do not party yourself out of college. While having fun, banging sluts and not remembering what happened last night, you don't want to put yourself in a situation where the deans in your school are contemplating kicking you out. I'm in some shit like that now where I pretty much gotta wait for their decision to let me back in. You will have those YOLO moments in college, but do not go over the edge with it. Make sure your classes and other shit is good as well.

My advice would be to just stick to alcohol. Straight up. You don't wanna end up in rehab spitting game to ratchets who do meth. (Been there done that.)
[Image: tumblr_inline_mlfifvnpXl1qz4rgp.gif]

Also, alternate between campus nightlife and going to Groningen. This will help keep you less bored between one of the other. Not to mention, learning what goes on outside campus environment is crucial for "real world" survival.

Welcome to RVF man. Try to be the best Pokemon Trainer (player) you can be!

Nope.

Hey man,

I'm finally there. The advice of "go to Groningen" sounds appealing. It's not so big around here, and I haven't really met any 'red pill' men. I've spotted a fat, loud, feminist bitch in the wild though. I used "teleport" to get away...

Recently, I went caveman on my approaches on a night out, and could have had some kind of tangible success but I was too much into myself, and wanted everything RIGHT NOW. i.e, dance with a girl, kino, bring her friend in, walk to bar, ask them what they're buying me, go for a kiss, she says I'm too fast, I say yes, and go for her friend, and they go away. In that situation, I probably should have waited for the drink, and escalated less quickly.

The friend I went with, and some of his friends, complained that I was too quick or direct, etc. Another time I went out, I nearly faced the fury of angry feminist bitch and a white knight. I did some damage control and bolted shortly after. I always try to hit Eject, after making sure I saw at least *some* smiles from even *1* of the people involved.

Anyway, I won't apologise for who I am, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass to have to deal with blue pill mentality. And I was surprised at how easily this threw me off my centre.

So there's the update. I don't know in what direction I want to go yet, but I figure I best *start* doing *something*, including studying, or I will end up in the same rut I was in before...thinking too much, not doing enough.

So, you end up going back to school?

Yeah I'm back.

So far I joined the crew team and its pretty fun. We had our first race and I was able to keep my boat from coming in last.

Went out last night and almost pulled. I don't do much gaming ill admit but when it comes to dancefloor game, it feels like my best element.

Study wise? I couldn't tell ya but that's something I need to brush up on.

The best thing about college is that once you party outside of college, you already know how to party better than average chores out there. I'm just glad to be back at this place even though I have some plans in the future that might not involve college.

Nope.