rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Testosterone and hypertrophy weight training

I have a few years of experience with weight training.

It took me a couple to actually start something decent, and over the past year I actually made some decent progress.

'Programs' that I have tried and stuck with for at least a few months include stronglifts and starting strength. I did those for a bit and made some solid strength developments, with some gains in size.

Now I am taking a month break off any type of lifting due to a vacation down south. When I am back I am going to go full force, and train harder than ever.

I am looking to do something that revolves around building size. I want to put on solid gains over the next year or so, and accelerate my progress.

At the same time, I want to put on solid amounts of strength and use the principles of strength training to help me achieve that goal.

That is why I say I am looking for training that revolves around optimizing testosterone (through heavy lifts) and hypertrophy to gain muscle mass.

Just looking for ideas.

When I think about strength training, I think powerlifter.

When I think about hypertrophy training, I think body builder.

I'm looking for a medium, an intermediate.

In terms of training, looking at doing lifts Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri. Wed I am looking at doing some type of high intensity cardio, interval training of some sort. Sat and Sun will be rest with maybe a 5k run or something.

Here are the exercises that have made up the core of my training, I will be incorporating these into my new workout regimen.

Squats
Deadlifts
Pullups
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Barbell Row

Some isolation exercises and alternatives
Dumbbell Presses
Lateral raises
Curls
Dumbbell flys
Seated Row
Leg Curls and Extensions
Wrist Curls

Do you guys have any ideas?

Maybe you have the experience with a type of program I am looking for.

I still have a 3 weeks off until I start training again, so I have some time to plan accordingly.

Just looking for some training advice at the moment. I'm also taking a look at diet, but that is something I've been working on already. Basically a shift to less carbs and more fats and proteins.

Find yourself a copy of Pavel's "Power to the People". One of the biggest complaints of the program is that people using it get too strong.
If I had my choice I would do PTTP to train max strength for two months, then a 20 rep squat program for a month, then back to Pavel's PTTP for two months, you get the picture.

I don't know what your body fat percentage is. But if you want to put on mass then you need all the calories you can get. Cardio will only burn the calories needed to build size. I never do cardio when bulking and most guys I know don't either.Good luck.

Paul Carter at Lift-Run-Bang has some good ideas about training in that moderate intensity zone you're talking about. He claims it's the most effective way and he's always posting testimonials of guys who have had success. I haven't tried his approach yet personally, but I think that's going to be my next move training-wise.

I've been hammering away with heavy high-percentage weights and I've stalled recently, so I'm going to try his approach.

That said -- Uzi is right. The most important factor in gaining size is eating right. I would start out with an all-out dirty bulk, and then clean up and refine your diet if you start to gain fat. If you're not gaining fat and the scale's going up, don't change anything. Keep adding calories if the scale isn't moving. For me I need to go high protein, high fat, moderate-low carb to avoid gaining too much fat. You just need to figure out what works for you with your diet.

PHAT