rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Would you pay to join a crossfit gym?

Would you?

I'm seeing a typical cost of $100 or so month. One close to where I live is $125 without a contract, $115 for it.

I understand they got a guy running each WOD and helping you out with everything, basically to the point of having a personal trainer included in your membership. It is also group oriented so you may have a better ability to run game than a regular gym.

But you can follow the WOD that is posted on the websites for free. Your local gym should have everything you need that you need, albeit it will probably be more spread out than in a crossfit gym.

A regular gym will run me around $25-$30 a month. Is a crossfit gym worth the extra $80-$90?

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Hell the fuck no. You're at a gym to grind and workout not to do bullshit exercises.

If you want a gym to spit game: equinox. So if you are really hurting for chicks going to equinox may be a decent idea.

Cross fit? Nah.

Quote: (07-19-2013 10:11 AM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

$125 without a contract, $115 for it.

That sounds cheap. How many classes do you get?

I have been to both Equinox and Crossfit. I use gyms to workout, not socialize. But there are women at Crossfit.

The Crossfit principles are simple and valid: functional, varied, high-intensity. They cross-train by doing resistance exercises aerobically. The problem is that form gets sloppy and dangerous when you get fatigued. It is useful to have supervision when you are doing deadlifts or cleans for ten minutes. Also, intensity is higher when you are psyched in a class format.

Thats my line of thought WC. I lift to gain size and put up higher numbers. That's why I just stick to a regular gym.

Crossfit is more of the "functional strength" line of thinking. I've always believed crossfit is really just putting a new name to circuit training to make some cash off a traditional idea. I have found a higher percentage of crossfit enthusiasts to be "crossfit fanboys." The type of people that think if you don't do crossfit you don't do shit. An elitist type attitude.

The WODs are challenging, I will give them that. But they are generally challenging because of the lack of rest between exercises, not the actual exercise.

So where do they get off charging the extra $$$ per month? What services and value are they providing, that the typical gym doesnt, to justify the cost? I personally think people are just buying into the fad.

edit- Divorco just saw your post. $125 is unlimited. They run the WOD every other hour from 5am to 6pm. They offer a "ramp-up" class, which is learning the basic exercises, a couple times a week. The group environment is the most appealing thing about it, always having someone to train with would up my motivation.

You're paying for someone to push you to do things you would not do on your own, even though you are perfectly capable.

There is some kind of mental barrier that stops all of us from doing the things we know we need to do and can easily do.

Everyone faces it, few are willing to get help with it.

WIA

If you're trying to break a plateau and really hit the gym hard get a lifting partner.

Even RVF would be a decent place to find one. Post some shit on Craigslist etc whatever you need to do.

Blowing $125 a month doesn't make sense unless you're well off or trying to bang higher quality chicks.

Cross fit is just a nonsensical fitness routine.

If someone is trying to convince you to do cross fit nod and smile (ignore everything). It's bullshit.

I'd go for one month if I got a discount or was using a promotion. Otherwise no, more than a hundred bucks a month is too expensive.

Jesus Christ, Cross fit...Big fat no. 12x125=$1,500 in one year.

Depending on your fitness goals, you could stay fit and strong at home for free. Body weight exercises + cardio = sexy man.

Buying a squat rack/bench/weights would be the best investment you can make, if you plan on working out often.

If you need motivation, play some rock music and think of the people that have beaten your ass/women that wouldn't give the time of day or who wouldn't even talk to you.

I got 2 lifting buddies and we normally lift 5 times a week. We talk a lot of shit to each other too, I got all the motivation I need. We have a small and basic crossfit gym at work, built out of extra lumber laying around. Ive joined in with some of crossfit regulars I worked with, it was a decent workout but I still prefer lifting. And don't get me started on what they call pull ups.

Was just curious if anyone had joined one and if it was more than a giant scam which it appears to be.

Quote: (07-19-2013 12:14 PM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

And don't get me started on what they call pull ups.

What do they call pull ups?

(Didn't mean to get you started, but I am curious).

G,

They do a lot of kipping. Basically swinging the lower the body and leveraging the momentum to make the pull up easier. Its a cheat pullup.

I'm not talking they kip on the last one or two to squeeze out some post muscle failure reps. They do it on every one.

They claim its because they do so many in one workout.

They make an exercise easier, so that they can do more of them. I've never understood that concept.

Interesting.

They are not kipping to do muscle ups?

Thats the same shit I use to do for track workouts. I laugh when people pay a shit ton of money you can do at a regular gym. Like many have said, they just it a new brand.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

I don't know much about muscle ups. Ive only seen one guy at work do them.

It looks hard as hell for sure. But he swings back and forth building momentum first. He can do maybe 10 real pullups in a row, so I'm guessing most of it comes down to technique.

^ lol so joining cross fit means paying for incorrect form, getting motivated by dorks and sweating bullets to Carly Ray Jaspen?

Pass my man, pass.

I've been doing CrossFit at the same gym since 2008. Prices in the beginning were 100 and now we are at $175. However I'm a trainer at the gym now so it's free membership. When I was paying for my membership did I think it was worth it? Absolutely.

Most peoples main gripe about CF is the price. If you're paying 150 a month and go 5x a week, you're only paying 7.50 a day to workout. Most people spend that much on their drink at Starbucks.

At the CF gym you get access to the equipment. You could say it's the same equipment at a normal gym. Well it's not. Especially when you get more advanced. 24 hour fitness won't have a olympic lifting platform, olympic bars (they spin nice and fast with good whip), bumper plates so you can drop the bar/weights, rowing machines that don't suck, slam balls, wall balls, kettlebells that go past 45lbs, prowlers, drag sleds, room to do cone drills, rope climbs, etc...

If your a beginner at 7.50 each time you workout you have a personal trainer to correctly teach you form and watch your movements. A structured workout plan (most quality CF gyms will design a linear strength program followed by a conditioning workout that compliments your strength work at the end). A group atmosphere that will help motivate and mentally push you.

The greatest thing about a CF gyms is the community. It's what CF is built upon. Shared hardship builds camaraderie. At my gym everyone there wants you to succeed. They cheer you on and push you forward. Imagine 10 of your friends all working out together and motivating you past your plateaus.

CF isn't for everyone. You can get the same exact workout at gym at a quarter of the cost. If you just want to look like Arnold then a normal gym would work great for. CF is built for a specific audience. Someone is is incredibly bored of the normal body-split routine, likes a class setting, personal training, and the community aspect.

If you ever played competitive sports in college and thrive in that environment then CF is definitely for you. As the founder of crossfit has said... Men will die for points.

I've done CrossFit in the past, and while people can get an exhausting, quick workout from it (if that's what you're in to), and I would recommend a 1-month CF "bootcamp" to people who are new to working out to get exposure to a lot of diff. exercises, the downsides had me stop:

1) Sacrificing form for time. The workouts are timed, and you get points based on how well you do. Therefore, to be competitive or set PR's, you are trying to do things faster, and that includes stuff that maybe shouldn't be rushed like olympic lifting, handstand pushups, etc. Or you're told you can do a modified version to save time, like kipping your pullups instead of controlled ones.

Sure some people can be disciplined enough and prioritize form, but many get sloppy as a result. The people who start taking CF more seriously, also start to think in terms of "tactics" for doing well on time, rather then maybe the spirit of the exercise in the first place. This really comes into play when you're doing the group workouts against each other, or when you're paired off with a partner, so any slowness on your end, affects their score.

2) Workouts from CF HQ becoming more ridiculous, and less likely to complement each other over a week or month of exercises. I think I saw one that was like 300 burpees for time. Or something similar. Again, people can be tempted to cheat to get those scores up.

3) Semi-jack of all trades, master of none. I think CF can be good for general fitness for the average person, but if you're actually looking at goal setting and mastery of certain skills and movements, it is counter-productive. Who's gonna be further along, the guy who did 1 intensive year of Lifting, 1 year Gymnastics or the guy who did 2 years Crossfit incorporating these same skills?

One thing I like is that as women get into it more, the cult of the treadmill dies a bit for them, and more girls doing kettlebell swings is always a good thing.

I like doing mainly bodyweight exercises, keeping up my mobility and flexibility, but I do some lifting too, and I've found the best combinations come from Ido Portal (The most well rounded and skilled man you've never heard of). I may drop a thread on him if people are interested.

Ido touches on CF here:

And here's a funny CF fails video showing some of the bad form issues and kipping (obviously some gyms do it better than others):

I actually think it is worth it (keep in mind, I have never done it so I am speaking from a "birds-eye view" perspective. Personally, I like boxing and working outside in parks or the beach, but that is neither here nor there.)

It is not a lot of money either way.

If it is what it takes to get you in shape, it is a small price to pay.

Never skimp on yourself.

If you want to spend money to increase your fitness just get a personal trainer for your specific goals. I do this 10-15 days out of the year because your form on certain excercises get messed up and they'll catch you before you injure yourself (spotting inflexibility etc).

If you're not motivated enough to be in decent shape without some $115 fee there is something wrong with your own personal drive and self esteem

The only thing good that crossfit has is the weighlifting part (snatch and cj) the rest is like the guys have said some shitty form of circuit training with exercises that would most likely hurt people. That being said there are only two gyms in my city with bumper plates those shit are expensive. If i was in your city i would just go to an oly lifting gym (how much are those?) and run on my own a few times a week..... Since some of you have been talking about kipping i just remembered seeing the women crossfit games at the gym the other holy shit my shoulders hurt from seeing that

Crossfit is a brand name. That's what you're paying for. I am absolutely not a fan of cross fit. I think there are pros and a lot of cons, but it is essentially old ideas that are given catchwords and marketed phenomenally to create a douchey following. WODs, AMRAP, circuits with girls names, forging elite fitness, etc. I can't stand it.

I believe the idea behind "kipping" is based on advertising the work equation w=F(force) x D(distance). You apply more force (full body movement) x distance (number of reps) and you have done more "work". This is one of the CF mantras applied to the reasoning behind their "programming". For the record, I could be wrong on this as I didn't look it up and just remember reading this somewhere.

There are articles and videos to teach you technique on bench, squat, overhead press, and the oly lifts. The olympic lifts are much harder to do. However, someone can teach you how to be above average at them. To truly be proficient at them takes years practice, coaching, and probably video analysis. Look at elite level olympic lifters and look at your average or above average CF athlete. There is a tremendous gap. It isn't the fault of the athlete, they are tremendously difficult to master. I think that advertising coaching included can be misleading. Are you taking advice from someone who has reached national level proficiency in that movement or are you taking advice from someone who has local/regional level strength/proficiency in that movement who has been possibly taught by someone of a higher level. There is a significant difference between the two. It isn't difficult to teach above average technique on any lift. I don't do olympic lifting. I watch a lot of oly lifting videos and have read a lot about it. I can easily teach above average technique. The difference is I haven't paid 500$ or whatever it is for a level 1 CF certification. This was mentioned above, but technique fails quickly with fatigue.

The equipment is not the same. That is true. But do you need a true olympic bar that costs over 1000$ for your 50kg snatch? No. I am a firm believer in quality of equipment, but it isn't entirely necessary for an average person to use a bar designed for world level lifters. You are paying extra to use this bar essentially. Plus, and I can't give an exact date off the top of my head, the olympics used a bar without rotating sleeves until maybe the 70s and somehow guys got incredibly strong and good at the lifts. And basically any standard barbell should have rotating ends if I'm not mistaken. True Olympic bars have ball bearing in the end to make the rotation a little quicker and smoother.

KBs are still a fad. They have their place, but they are not special. They are, however, expensive. Again, this is factored into your price.

Wall balls and slam balls are gimmicks that sound and look cool.

Prowler is amazing and is about the only thing that you can't replace. If you've never done a prowler workout you are missing out. However, if you have the space and resources, you can get one made or buy one and keep it in your trunk.

You can do cone drills anywhere. Throw Tshirts on the ground in a parking lot. Boom. Done. Free.

Rope climb is about as useful as well climbing a rope. Get really good at pull-ups and get a crushing grip (towel hangs would be comparable or towel pullups to replicate) and you will have no problem with rope climps.

Bumper plates are good if you need to do olympic lifts. There are different levels of bumper plates though. Some are cheap and some are incredibly expensive. This could be another thing you are paying for. And don't say you need to lift with calibrated plates every day.

I haven't met many CF people who are especially good at programming. To say they will give you a linear strength program is the same as saying they will print you off a program anyone can find online. The CF web page workouts are random, ridiculous, and useless. That was covered above.

The gymnast rings you can buy or make and bring with you anywhere.

If you have the space you can put a fully functional CF capable gym at home for possibly as little as 3-500$ and easily under 1000$.

And others have already said this, but if you need others to motivate you every day to improve yourself, you might as well just quit now and save yourself the time and money.

A lot of girls who do CF do have nice butts though. That is the pro. Until they really get into CF and get semi jacked and slightly manly. The counter to that is dudes seemingly need to workout with their shirt off.

Quote: (07-19-2013 10:58 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

Blowing $125 a month doesn't make sense unless you're well off or trying to bang higher quality chicks.

Cross fit is just a nonsensical fitness routine.

Some of us are well off, and all of us are trying to bang higher quality! Ask Fisto if it is nonsensical. But it is not routine, because every workout is different. It sounds like you have never tried it.

Quote: (07-19-2013 10:49 AM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

I lift to gain size and put up higher numbers.

The functional aspect uses heavy Olympic lifts and power lifts. But there is not a focused linear progression on single exercises. Crossfit also has an important aerobic aspect. Crossfit says "We can do what you do almost as well as you, and you can't do our stuff at all." For example, one elite weightlifter could clean and jerk 400+ pounds. So they timed him doing "Fran", using "only" 135 pounds (the normal prescription is 95 pounds). It consists of 21 clean and jerks, 21 pull-ups, then 15 clean and jerks, 15 pull-ups, and 9 clean and jerks, 9 pull-ups. The best Crossfit guys do Fran in four minutes, but the elite lifter took 20 minutes!

I suggest trying Crossfit for a month or two. You will learn something and see if you like it.

I have done cross fit before and it is a joke in terms of both getting in shape or better looking (it is a joke for both).

So if he wants to spend money I would A) join equinox with cuter girls B) hire a personal trainer once and a while.

Cross fit will likely leave a man injured.

I'm all for blowing money to get something you want but cross fit doesn't get you girls or in better shape.

$125 on clothing a month would do 100x more for a man that's a solid outfit every 2 months or a nice pair of shoes. That'll get you more girls than any cross fit tendinitis and ability to sing Carly Ray Jaspen.

That's actually cheap for a CrossFit gym. I do CrossFit football from the site. The only reason I would pay for a membership is to get better/ safer with the Olympic lifts.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Quote: (07-19-2013 04:25 PM)vinman Wrote:  

That's actually cheap for a CrossFit gym. I do CrossFit football from the site. The only reason I would pay for a membership is to get better/ safer with the Olympic lifts.

Crossfit is probably the worst place to learn olympic lifting. You'd be better off spending $60-80 to hire an olympic weight lifting coach once a month to check out your form.