rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How Do You Get Into Cuba?

So I was reading up on it and it seems like it is technically illegal to travel to Cuba for a leisure vacation if you are American. You can only go for work, to visit family, sports, etc. But I feel like I've heard of people on this site visiting Cuba. It sounded like, from what I was reading, is maybe it is illegal to enter with an American passport without a visa, which is basically impossible to get unless you use the above reasons listed, but not vacation. Though it almost sounded like you can fly in from a third country i.e. Mexico and Cuba, and though it is technically illegal, the agents at the airport will issue you a visa upon arrival. Is this the way it works, or is it basically impossible to visit Cuba unless you have work, family, or a sporting event there?

From what I've heard, you can fly from Mexico (Cancun I think) and you get a sort of visa paper upon arrival (they don't stamp your passport because they know about the travel restriction for Americans). The thing is... how much information does the government of Mexico give to the USA regarding Cuban travel? The chances of getting fined the $10K (I think) are pretty slim, but the government may end up getting the information of your travel, which may later be used against you.

According to this article, http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-18/world...s=PM:WORLD , travel restrictions for tourists won't be loosened anytime soon, so if you want to go as a tourist you will have to take the risk.

So the US can fine you $10000 if they wanted to for you entering Cuba? It's not even the Cuban government that would fine you?

Quote: (09-03-2010 09:04 PM)Brandon E Wrote:  

So the US can fine you $10000 if they wanted to for you entering Cuba? It's not even the Cuban government that would fine you?

why would they fine you. they dont have an embargo on themselves

So basically it's illegal for Americans to enter Cuba for vacationing because of the United States laws and not laws made by the Cuban government?

it is not illegal for u.s. citizens to go to cuba

it is illegal to transact there. in other words, spend dollars there

I see. Lame.

i'd still go if i was american

dont let it stop you

Have you been? If so is it a cool country? I was looking for flights from Miami and discovered there are no flights in the US to Cuba. I didn't know the embargo went as far as not letting our citizens go to Cuba. That's super fucking lame. Our goverments shouldn't be able to dictate where we travel. I probably won't be going anytime soon, as just about every country in the region would be much cheaper to travel to since I would have to buy a flight to Mexico, and then a seperate to Cuba. It would probably be twice as expensive as traveling to Colombia.

Quote: (09-03-2010 10:17 PM)Brandon E Wrote:  

Have you been?

yes

If so is it a cool country?

its a unique travel experience. i enjoyed it.

Our goverments shouldn't be able to dictate where we travel.

it cant and doesnt

I probably won't be going anytime soon, as just about every country in the region would be much cheaper to travel to since I would have to buy a flight to Mexico, and then a seperate to Cuba. It would probably be twice as expensive as traveling to Colombia.

so fly in from somewhere else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_M...stinations

Quote: (09-03-2010 08:03 PM)Brandon E Wrote:  

So I was reading up on it and it seems like it is technically illegal to travel to Cuba for a leisure vacation if you are American. You can only go for work, to visit family, sports, etc. But I feel like I've heard of people on this site visiting Cuba. It sounded like, from what I was reading, is maybe it is illegal to enter with an American passport without a visa, which is basically impossible to get unless you use the above reasons listed, but not vacation. Though it almost sounded like you can fly in from a third country i.e. Mexico and Cuba, and though it is technically illegal, the agents at the airport will issue you a visa upon arrival. Is this the way it works, or is it basically impossible to visit Cuba unless you have work, family, or a sporting event there?
Right now they are having golf courses attracting tourists. So bring your clubs along and putt a few holes. I am sure the grass is greener there in Cuba. Eidoos77. [Image: whip.gif][Image: angel.gif][Image: whip.gif]

its not illegal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...ndividuals

Quote: (09-03-2010 08:03 PM)Brandon E Wrote:  

So I was reading up on it and it seems like it is technically illegal to travel to Cuba for a leisure vacation if you are American.

Not really - it is just illegal to spend money there without the license issued by Dept of Treasury, which you will not get for tourism. Travel itself is not illegal, The difference is that it is harder to prove that you spent any money there if you are ever prosecuted (assuming you keep your mouth shut).

Quote:Quote:

Though it almost sounded like you can fly in from a third country i.e. Mexico and Cuba, and though it is technically illegal, the agents at the airport will issue you a visa upon arrival.

Yes. You can fly from Canada, Mexico, even Jamaica. And Cuba doesn't stamp your passport.

Russians say Cuba is like Thailand for foreigners.

Quote:Quote:

Russians say Cuba is like Thailand for foreigners.

you mean in terms of poon?
from what i've heard about cuba the authorities are doing everything they can to discourage this as much as possible, i.e. foreigners boning cuban chicks

would be great to get a field report from someone who has been there recently

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Quote: (09-05-2010 01:47 AM)zanetti Wrote:  

would be great to get a field report from someone who has been there recently

http://travel.awd.ru/content/category/5/58/60/

In Russian, of course - use Google Translator.

I'm considering going to cuba. Are there Any americans here who have been, and can give me first hand info on how to do it?

Going to mexico first seems to be the easiest way. The problem is that there would be 2 Mexican entry stamps on your passport (i've read they dont do exit stamps, only entry stamps). And if American customs reviews your passport carefully it will probably raise suspicion.

Any thoughts?

I don't know what the deal is now, but I think they are starting to make it legal to fly out of the US. I kinda know someone who is starting flights to Cuba. Don't know how legit it is, but I know it's definitely gonna start going down soon.

Book a return flight to the bahamas

When in the bahamas buy a return flight to cuba

Simple

Quote: (11-16-2010 03:39 AM)PartyTime Wrote:  

I'm considering going to cuba. Are there Any americans here who have been, and can give me first hand info on how to do it?

Going to mexico first seems to be the easiest way. The problem is that there would be 2 Mexican entry stamps on your passport (i've read they dont do exit stamps, only entry stamps). And if American customs reviews your passport carefully it will probably raise suspicion.

Any thoughts?

You can say you did a boat trip out to Belize and came back into Mexico In case they ask about It. My friend told me that would be a legit reason. If you don't have alot of stamps In your passport I can see customs people looking over it and noticing more but at this point I have so many stamps in my passport (I had to get an addedum last year for additional pages) that they would be hard pressed to even take notice.

Quote: (11-16-2010 06:49 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Simple

I like this idea. Any americans (very few) I have met down there came in by boat!

Quote: (11-16-2010 06:49 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Would't i get 2 sets of entry and exit stamps from the bahamas in a short time, which would raise questions at american customs when I re-enter the country?

Quote: (11-16-2010 03:52 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I don't know what the deal is now, but I think they are starting to make it legal to fly out of the US.

Those are typically chapter flights, not regular flights.

Quote: (11-17-2010 12:29 AM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Quote: (11-16-2010 03:52 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I don't know what the deal is now, but I think they are starting to make it legal to fly out of the US.

Those are typically chapter flights, not regular flights.

I don't know, maybe this guy is doing it illegally. This guy is one of the biggest ballers I've ever met by far. He has a new years eve party every year, I'm guessing he spends at least $2-300,000 on it, possibly more.

There is a trick to getting around the two entry stamps. Just use your passport as normal for getting into Mexico coming from the states, and then use your birth certificate when reentering Mexico from Cuba. Alas, only one entry stamp.

Quote: (11-17-2010 12:21 PM)AKAl Wrote:  

There is a trick to getting around the two entry stamps. Just use your passport as normal for getting into Mexico coming from the states, and then use your birth certificate when reentering Mexico from Cuba. Alas, only one entry stamp.

Good looking on the tip...I digged a bit more into It and it seems legit...

Driving or flying into Mexico:

Permits and Visas - Mexico Tourist Visas

Three items are needed to enter Mexico:

A Photo I.D. (such as a Driver's License or a passport, starting at age 18 and above)

A Tourist Card or F.M.N. (Flight Attendants give this to you upon arrival at the airport)

A Valid Proof Of Citizenship

Looks like that is the best way USA fellas! [Image: banana.gif]