rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Logistics as career path.

http://www.evansdist.com/Top10_LogisticsCareers.aspx

Anyone here in the logistics field? What is it like? I have been doing my research on it.
I heard that it pays average and a very global field and requires you to learn a language; a great way to travel getting flags and still earn well.

I thought that since poeple on here are more experienced they may know about the downsides of the field.

Quote:Quote:

WOMEN ARE STEPPING UP

This is an industry that has long been dominated by males, but over the years the presence of women in leadership positions has been trending up. Although challenging, the rewards for women in logistics can be great. It's a field that is looking for women leaders and can provide you with an opportunity to become a leader not just within your company, but within the industry as a whole.

^ This worries me. I don't want to get into the field and face unnessary discrimination.

Thoughts ?

I work closely with the logistics industry. More specifically Supply Chain Industries for Retail.

It's a pretty good market because it's strong. In a financial crisis, these guys are the last to go down. Actually in times of crisis, logistics and supply chain become more prosperous since people tend to by more fast and cheap moving products which means more business.

About male/female ratios and favorable environments, its all up to you. No doubt some women strive in this area. Usually workaholics with somewhat good social skills. Men will usually rely on analytic skills a bond within them while the bitches fight each other. Anyway, from what I see, men still dominate the scene.

A must, like in any heavily organized industry is to be sociable, know how to behave, do politics and keep face.

...and being afraid of discrimination. That's beta, so step it up, step in, be an ace and excel at whatever you do. [Image: wink.gif]

Thanks a lot Doc_J. Well I will be just starting, I need to get a job in a warehouse first and work my way up.

Out of curiosity, does this firle of work have crazy work hours...like hours that would prevent a player from going out 2-3 times a week to bars or doing daygame ? Assuming I become a supervisor or manager ? Lifestyle is very important aswell as money.

I mean I am content working 8-9 hour days, I am used to long days.

I agree with everything Doc_J wrote.

Logistics doesn't have longer hours than other corporate jobs.

It's definitely global, but if you really want to travel a lot then go into supply chain consulting. Learning a second language isn't really necessary but can help if you want to concentrate on certain national markets.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

I work in IT and as a contractor consultant so I get to travel all the time so can't relate to that. But from what I see, and have some friends working in warehouses your start will be rough.
In the beginning you'll have hectic schedules since you will be the last guy to be put on shifts etc. However, from what I've seen you can get up to supervisor in a short time if you're good a and play it well. After that you are the one controlling schedules and life get's easier and it's a good pay with not much hassle.

But what I usually think is, if you're curious give it a try. Worse that can happen is that you quit and go back to where you were in the first place. It will be one more experience on your CV and more importantly your life. You don't want to be looking back and saying "what if I had tried that out?" do you?

I don't know what's your situation but I earn pretty well and get to travel the world all year round. I feel pretty lucky but recently I got a job offer that I will have to take just for the fact that its a change and a new adventure. New experiences always have more value than just repeating an old one. Get out of your comfort zone.

You'll be better off thinking about Supply Chain as a whole, not just Logistics/Warehousing. Stated as briefly as possible Supply Chain is invloved with managing "The creation and movement of goods through space and time". Sounds simple, but it is a massive industry that can have a huge impact on the bottom line of a company, so it is serious business. If your Supply Chain isn't efficient, another similar company will provide the same goods more reliably and at cheaper prices and your company is toast. Top Supply Chain managers often come from engineering fields, but this isn't cast in stone.

If you do not have an educational background in Supply Chain this check out http://www.apics.org. They run various certification programs which are actually useful in improving your skills and getting work. Their CSCP program is the best one in my opinion.

As for companies to check out. Since you mentioned working in a warehouse check out UPS Supply Chain Solutions. Later on consulting companies like Accenture would be a good bet. I don't think Accenture operate 3rd party warehouses though. They are pure consulting as far as I know.

Yeah I was looking into procurement or supply chian. I guess i have ot do both entry level jobs in procurement and warehousing ot work out which on suits me best.

I have completed a bachelor's degree in a non-related field( science ) . So maybe looking to do something in hospitals so I can get some nurse pussy on he side aswell.

I really appreciate this advise, I'll get into the an entry level job and then do a grad certificate or the online course.

So glad I asked about this.