rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

snatch grip deadlift

snatch grip deadlift

Anyone only do this type of DL? Ive read an article that said conventional DLs are like half squat because the plates dont allow a full ROM... I think there is some logic to it. Anyway i cant bend properly cause of my ankle yet so ill be doing this for a few months. Will report back

snatch grip deadlift

Yeah, done them quite a lot. They target the upper back way more than regular DL. But you can't lift anywhere near as much weight, so it depends a lot on your goal. If your goal is to build muscle on your upper back, do give them a try. If your goal is to improve your snatch, they are a good fit as well. But there is nothing wrong with regular deadlift. If you want more ROM, then stand on some plates and lift from deficit.

snatch grip deadlift

^Ditto

I find them kind of strange.

They definitely do shift some emphasis to quads, but the limiting factor ends up being your upper back. I found them a bit awkward really.

I also prefer conventional DL, and if you want more ROM use smaller plates on the bar.

snatch grip deadlift

You can also drop your ass and get your thighs to parallel before starting the motion with a normal grip. Take a look at olympic lifters and you'll see that they start their clean pull with their butt lower than most power lifters start their deadlift pull.

Compare:

and

snatch grip deadlift

The deadlift is designed to use the best leverage to lift the most weight. Having the thighs in roughly a quarter squat gives you optimal leg drive (you can quarter squat more than you can full squat).

The deadlift and the first pull of a clean or snatch are two different movements. If you look at the movements closely they are very different.

I think snatch grips deadlifts are a great exercise, if you do them properly. I would use them as more of a secondary exercise personally. If you do use them as a main exercise be sure to rotate them out after a period of time.

snatch grip deadlift

I wouldn't do them unless my deadlift had already broken 500 pounds. A lot of guys like to get fancy with their lifting before they start pulling serious weight.

snatch grip deadlift

Klokov does them so they have to be good