rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Breaking: 18 Members of Prescott Hot Shot Fire Fighter Team Killed Fighting Wildfire

Breaking: 18 Members of Prescott Hot Shot Fire Fighter Team Killed Fighting Wildfire

Tragic. Best to their families and the community...

http://www.prescottaz.com/main.asp?Secti...eID=120733

Quote:Quote:

PRESCOTT - The Prescott Fire Department lost nearly its entire crew today - the Granite Mountain Hotshots - with 18 firefighters dying and one surviving.

I know this area very well, and it's like a tinder box this time of year every year. With high winds and high temperatures, fires like this just push right uphill into dried out pines. This is still a really small fire.

Update: death toll now at 19...

Rest In Peace.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

This is a reminder of just how much of a sacrifice it can take to be a firefighter. I think the fact that they do not carry guns (the symbol of "danger" for many people these days) can lead many to forget about how crucial and dangerous their job can be. 9/11 reminded the country of just how much they mean, and this incident will hopefully do the same.

RIP to the fallen

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Quote: (06-30-2013 11:14 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

This is a reminder of just how much of a sacrifice it can take to be a firefighter. I think the fact that they do not carry guns (the symbol of "danger" for many people these days) can lead many to forget about how crucial and dangerous their job can be. 9/11 reminded the country of just how much they mean, and this incident will hopefully do the same.

RIP to the fallen

I've got mad respect for those guys. I used to race up one of the local mountains against some of the Phoenix FD. Great competitors and good men.

More so than the military, who put their balls on a platter for corrupt old men, you have got to respect firefighters. RIP.

Quote: (06-30-2013 11:14 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

RIP to the fallen

To add to this. These guys were also Type 1 Hotshot Firefighters. These guys run towards forest fires to destroy the fuel in its path. It's an extremely demanding job because you have to bring firefighting kit and forestry tools on foot in the summer heat. It's also extremely dangerous because you have no vehicles to escape with since you either parachuted or traveled by foot into the forest. Mad respect.

Also, I couldn't believe the death toll when I heard it. Normally, you lose 2-3 guys in an accident. Losing an entire platoon means something went horribly fucking wrong.

I heard about this last night. It's heartbreaking to see a loss of this size. Dying by burning to death must be the worst way to go that I can imagine. Rest in peace to these brave men.

We used to say that the tin foil shelters were so you would taste better when a bear or vultures found you. Having a whole crew lost is very strange though, as Derpface was saying. Its odd, but so was the weather.

The loss is sad but I've never understood why forest fire fighters get some some sort of special praise, they died doing their job just like every other person that works in the woods does. There's no "brave and honor" ceremony held or articles written for the more than 100 men killed working in the woods every year (120 in 2011 in just the USA). I'm sure burning alive sucks but I bet cutting your leg with a chainsaw and then bleeding out for hours alone in the woods isn't fun either, or is getting eaten alive by a bear (once you are pinned down they just stand on you and eat your butt cheeks and upper thighs)

My soapbox aside, 19 people all going at once is tragic.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Much respect. RIP.

I wonder if we will hear the fem-cunts demanding women get these type of dangerous jobs?

Quote: (07-01-2013 10:53 AM)Derpface200 Wrote:  

These guys were also Type 1 Hotshot Firefighters.

Yeah I heard these guys were really on fire.

Tragic and sad.

But another tragic (and less obvious) part of this is that it's going to re-ignite the overblown and played-out hero-worship for firefighters (no pun intended). It should come as no surprise that so many firefighters are some of the most self-important dicks I've ever encountered--especially since 9-11, which, odds are, they had nothing to do with personally. I won't be surprised if a firefighter were to break his arm reaching over to pat his own back and people were quick to declare that an act of heroism.

They're no more heroes than the guy who paved the street, maintains the stop lights, and services the trucks that got them there. As for the "they put their lives on the line every day" mythology, so do electric line workers, coal miners, fishermen, and an array of other important, essential, but less romantic jobs. If they're not heroes, neither are firefighters.

Note: I never said this event wasn't tragic, that I'm glad they died, that there weren't individual acts of heroism in this particular incident, or that I "sided with the terrorists on 9-11." I'm just saying a whole profession isn't automatically heroic. Dying on the job isn't necessarily heroic--it's tragic--but it's not necessarily an act of heroism.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Lol. Tuth is hatin'.

We all know:

[Image: attachment.jpg13037]   

Gets all the pussy:

[Image: attachment.jpg13038]   

Firehouses are where all the hoes are at.

Tuth,

Firstly, about 75% of firefighters are volunteers - volunteering to run into a fire when you aren't getting paid for it is heroic.

Secondly, firefighters/military service members run into the danger while others are running away from it. That aspect of the job, combined with the 24/7/365 duty it has make it more heroic than being a fisherman.

Honestly, ask yourself - is running into a burning building to rescue trapped people the same as pulling fish out of the ocean?

Quote: (07-01-2013 05:34 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Tragic and sad.

But another tragic (and less obvious) part of this is that it's going to re-ignite the overblown and played-out hero-worship for firefighters (no pun intended). It should come as no surprise that so many firefighters are some of the most self-important dicks I've ever encountered--especially since 9-11, which, odds are, they had nothing to do with personally. I won't be surprised if a firefighter were to break his arm reaching over to pat his own back and people were quick to declare that an act of heroism.

They're no more heroes than the guy who paved the street, maintains the stop lights, and services the trucks that got them there. As for the "they put their lives on the line every day" mythology, so do electric line workers, coal miners, fishermen, and an array of other important, essential, but less romantic jobs. If they're not heroes, neither are firefighters.

Note: I never said this event wasn't tragic, that I'm glad they died, that there weren't individual acts of heroism in this particular incident, or that I "sided with the terrorists on 9-11." I'm just saying a whole profession isn't automatically heroic. Dying on the job isn't necessarily heroic--it's tragic--but it's not necessarily an act of heroism.
Tact, bro. Tact....

Who asked you to expound your personal philosophy? You click on a thread about 19 dead firefighters and then proceed to tell the forum about your views on heroes in society. [Image: lol.gif] O.K.

Didn't you go to college? You should have gotten all your pontificating done in Philosophy 101 and left it there. You started the post off great and should of ended it there. "Tragic and sad." Well said....

• Andrew Ashcraft, 29 • Kevin Woyjeck, 21 • Anthony Rose, 23
• Eric Marsh, 43 • Christopher MacKenzie, 30 • Robert Caldwell, 23
• Clayton Whitted , 28 • Scott Norris, 28 • Dustin Deford, 24
• Sean Misner, 26 • Garret Zuppiger, 27 • Travis Carter, 31
• Grant McKee, 21 • Travis Turbyfill, 27 • Jesse Steed, 36
• Wade Parker, 22 • Joe Thurston, 32 • William Warneke, 25
• John Percin, 24

† R.I.P. †

[Image: ohshit.gif]

I thought Tuth was trolling as his post was a blatant change of topic just so he could share his ego-stroking-unasked-for opinion and bask in the glorification of seeing his post inevitably up-voted due to his 6 star mod status.

A firefighter being chubby and having a hideous mustache doesn't change the fact that he runs into fucking fires to save people. If falling off a building on a construction site is the same as running into a burning building and dying trying to rescue a family, well then agree to disagree because there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

RIP.

haha I love how Tuth is taking all of the fire for his opinion when I'm saying the same thing.

Lets also make a distinction between Fire Fighter and FOREST Fire Fighter. Granted I haven't worked in the Southwest on fire crews but up north being a fire fighter is a dirty hot and grimy job that really only gets dangerous when something goes wrong. The rest of the time you are just cutting down trees, starting slow moving back fires, digging shallow ditches and directing traffic.

Also, forest firefighters working on state and federal crews are paid and paid well when they get into overtime on a fire. Its a cool job but its not 'heroic' its a bunch of trees on fire, any buildings that burn have had people evacuated from them long before it gets there. There are no babies in sky scrapers, no cats in trees, no jaws of life or women giving birth at roadside. Its a job.

I wish the headline was "19 men killed on worksite" that still makes it a tragedy but if there is going to be some sort of memorial or whatever roll those people in with the other 4000 plus people that will be killed in their jobs in America this year.

Quote: (07-01-2013 02:48 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

We used to say that the tin foil shelters were so you would taste better when a bear or vultures found you. Having a whole crew lost is very strange though, as Derpface was saying. Its odd, but so was the weather.

Odd is an understatement. This particular fire has covered 9000 acres so far according to CNN and is showing no signs of stopping. 0.o

Since when firemen become gender neutral firefighters? Oh yes, the matrix.[Image: angry.gif]

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

Quote: (07-01-2013 07:54 PM)Derpface200 Wrote:  

Quote: (07-01-2013 02:48 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

Odd is an understatement. This particular fire has covered 9000 acres so far according to CNN and is showing no signs of stopping. 0.o

Yep, the weather behind this fire is intense. Its bad when the daily update from the Public Information Officer from the fire says "the fire is zero percent contained" Usually progress can be made on the back side of the fire and this was before those guys died. I guarantee the fireboss will be backing all of the crews way off the fire, expanding the evacuation area and just watching it burn until the weather changes.