rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Headhunters and Being Headhunted

-

Are you a headhunter in a foreign country?

What country do you serve? What is your process like? Do you target certain verticals or industries?

What inefficiencies, pains, and problems exist in your industry and headhunting process that you feel could be solved with technology, automation, data mining, or other solutions?

-

Have you been headhunted?

How did it go down? Did you take the offer?

Did you have to spend a lot of time, energy, and pain finding options and vetting the integrity of your headhunter?

What inefficiencies, pains, and problems did you experience in the process that you feel could have been solved with technology or other solutions?

-

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-

Russian head hunting site: hh.ru

Just in case people are looking for something in Russia. I have no personal experience. (sorry for thread jack).

Tbh (us based) head hunters are a waste of time.

1. They bog you down with their own personal interview
2. The slots they try to get you in are not upward moving excluding direct poaches from a specific class (ie: banking -> PE for example).
3. You can get much better jobs by simply telling your boss you want to switch firms and he will usually hook you up if he likes you

Nothing but negative things to say about headhunters because your personal network can usually make you more money and get you a better job. I have gotten to final round interviews through head hunting but the job offers at the end were not worth it.

Also headhunters like to waste your time with multiple emails and phone calls then drop the ball when they realize that your compensation is too high for them.

When you talk to a head hunter i suggest the following:

1. Disclose all in compensation in the first interview
2. Disclose what you will not switch to (ex. Won't switch to a ECM shop if you work in M&A).
3. Disclose that you are in "good standing" with your firm

Number 3 is key, headhunters like to prey on people "sick of their jobs" just to slot them into a similar one in a slighkty "better" role in terms of prestige. This is why they always ask in a not so slick way "so are you on the market searching". Headhunters calls are more annoying than spam at times.

Basically I avoid them like the plague and focus on everyone higher up loving me so hey will help me switch careers or get promoted in the future. Nowadays, people don't like hiring "randoms" they want safe bets, so if someone gives you a direct recommendation you're far better off.

I've used headhunters for years, and have had positive success, including being direct hired in the fortune 100. One firm bounced me from contract to contract almost at my convenience.

A friend used Volt to get to Perth. It took a year to cut through all the red tape. I'm glad he did it first, as after all that bullshit, I decided not to go that route.

@YMG- I'm getting called all the time by them, with one wanting to line me up with a job traveling 75% of the time to S. America. When I told them I was employed in a similar job, he offered to slide me into a consultant position, working at my leisure (moonlighting).

None of these cost me, their all free.

Quote: (06-24-2013 03:28 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

Tbh (us based) head hunters are a waste of time.

1. They bog you down with their own personal interview
2. The slots they try to get you in are not upward moving excluding direct poaches from a specific class (ie: banking -> PE for example).
3. You can get much better jobs by simply telling your boss you want to switch firms and he will usually hook you up if he likes you

Nothing but negative things to say about headhunters because your personal network can usually make you more money and get you a better job. I have gotten to final round interviews through head hunting but the job offers at the end were not worth it.

Also headhunters like to waste your time with multiple emails and phone calls then drop the ball when they realize that your compensation is too high for them.

When you talk to a head hunter i suggest the following:

1. Disclose all in compensation in the first interview
2. Disclose what you will not switch to (ex. Won't switch to a ECM shop if you work in M&A).
3. Disclose that you are in "good standing" with your firm

Number 3 is key, headhunters like to prey on people "sick of their jobs" just to slot them into a similar one in a slighkty "better" role in terms of prestige. This is why they always ask in a not so slick way "so are you on the market searching". Headhunters calls are more annoying than spam at times.

Basically I avoid them like the plague and focus on everyone higher up loving me so hey will help me switch careers or get promoted in the future. Nowadays, people don't like hiring "randoms" they want safe bets, so if someone gives you a direct recommendation you're far better off.

Thank you. This is great feedback for the US domestic market. It seems like this is finance specific information too.

It looks like US based headhunters are just sort of superfluous then.

I feel like expat headhunters are a different story. They are dealing with an entirely different situation because they want to relocate someone internationally.

-

I've used headhunters for years, and have had positive success, including being direct hired in the fortune 100. One firm bounced me from contract to contract almost at my convenience.

That's great - nice job! Was it all international work?

A friend used Volt to get to Perth. It took a year to cut through all the red tape. I'm glad he did it first, as after all that bullshit, I decided not to go that route.

What route specifically - using Volt?

@YMG- I'm getting called all the time by them, with one wanting to line me up with a job traveling 75% of the time to S. America. When I told them I was employed in a similar job, he offered to slide me into a consultant position, working at my leisure (moonlighting).

Good stuff - it sounds like you didn't take the job offer? Would you mind specifying which country you are talking about? How did it go down, did they randomly email you?

Its the question even I ask. WHICH headhunters? There are those that are GREAT and other plain suck!

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63