rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tom Brokaw Explains Canada To Americans (Tribute history video of U.S. & Canada)

Tom Brokaw Explains Canada To Americans (Tribute history video of U.S. & Canada)

This was really well done.

As a Canadian who has many friends on both sides of the border, I think in the midst of political judgement and misconceptions it's easy to forgot just how lucky we are to be neighbours.

A lot of people take our freedom and peace for granted, but when you look at the rest of the world, the relationship between the two countries is actually a total outlier.

I got a lot of love for the U.S.

That was good. Now that I'm on the road again, I have been meeting a lot of Canadians. I am growing very fond of them. Good people, down to earth, and very generous. It made me realize how oblivious Americans are about Canada, myself included.

Great piece. I wish more Americans were aware of how awesome our neighbor to the north is, how important we are to each other, and how similar we are. Back many years ago in school we were told practically nothing about Canada but a lot of information about Mexico. I wonder why the teachers, schools, and book publishers don't dedicate more time to teaching students about Canada. Perhaps because Canadian and American culture and background are more similar than say Mexico and the United States.

Supposedly we're all best friends, then the Yanks do this to us:

Canadian teen drops out of US high school due to bullying because he's Canadian: http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/news/ed.../6247.html

Southern racists adopt "Canadian" as a euphemism for "black": http://boingboing.net/2008/01/27/souther...s-ado.html

And who can forget this:

We in America rarely think about Canada. It is largely an inconsequential country.

Some people here even jokingly refer to it as the 51st state.

Quote: (06-22-2013 08:19 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Canadian teen drops out of US high school due to bullying because he's Canadian: http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/news/ed.../6247.html

This probably happened because he said "Meh" too much. I used to know a Canadian who I worked with and people would always make fun of him when he said "Meh" at the end of every sentence by imitating him and saying it back to him.

Quote: (06-22-2013 08:58 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

We in America rarely think about Canada. It is largely an inconsequential country.

That's because Americans are ignorant fuckers. Canada is our biggest trading partner. And unlike our one-sided relationship with our second biggest trading partner China, we export almost as much as we import from Canada.

Meanwhile Americans all somehow just know we're dependent upon Saudi Arabia for oil when in reality we import more from Canada.

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:24 AM)Therapsid Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2013 08:58 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

That's because Americans are ignorant fuckers. Canada is our biggest trading partner. And unlike our one-sided relationship with our second biggest trading partner China, we export almost as much as we import from Canada.

Meanwhile Americans all somehow just know we're dependent upon Saudi Arabia for oil when in reality we import more from Canada.

Hey, don't get mad. I'm just telling you the truth.

For instance, the average American couldn't tell you much, if anything, about Canada.

I've never heard anyone in my life mention Canada.

I find that Canadian chicks stateside are often flattered when you know anything about their country. But you got to segue rápidamente from this sort of stuff because it's too intellectual.

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:05 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

This probably happened because he said "Meh" too much. I used to know a Canadian who I worked with and people would always make fun of him when he said "Meh" at the end of every sentence by imitating him and saying it back to him.

I don't hear "meh" a lot up in Canada, but it would annoy me too, what I do often hear coming out of American's mouths is "huh", that has to be the most annoying expression in any language in the world and some of you guys say it A LOT.

Whats worse "eh" or "huh"?

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:59 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:05 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

I don't hear "meh" a lot up in Canada, but it would annoy me too, what I do often hear coming out of American's mouths is "huh", that has to be the most annoying expression in any language in the world and some of you guys say it A LOT.

Whats worse "eh" or "huh"?

I think "eh" is worse. It just sounds funny to me when Canadians use "eh."

Well they forgot to mention that we Canadians kick USA ass in war and burned down the white house....

Quote: (06-22-2013 10:26 AM)Malekhit Wrote:  

Well they forgot to mention that we Canadians kick USA ass in war and burned down the white house....

You canucks where still subjects of the British Empire back then, so it was technically the British and their subjects (canucks) who the USA fought in 1812.

Quote: (06-22-2013 10:37 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

You canucks where still subjects of the British Empire back then, so it was technically the British and their subjects (canucks) who the USA fought in 1812.

Excuses same like Vietnam it was not a war it was just a police action LOL.

Quote: (06-22-2013 11:02 AM)Malekhit Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2013 10:37 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Excuses same like Vietnam it was not a war it was just a police action LOL.

No excuses.

In the War of 1812, the USA was fighting the British, the canucks, and the Indians.

Remember, Canuckistan was not founded as a separate country until 1867.

Also the U.S. invaded Canada in the War of 1812 assuming the natives would happily revolt and join the Americans. They were shocked when they fought to get us out of their territory. We've replayed this script ever since.

America almost folded after that battle. The country was at its weakest politically and structurally. The British circles around the colonies like vultures as did the Spanish from the south. James Madison was a stooge, traitor and nearly destroyed your nation.

Oddly enough on the flip side no other country has invaded Canada more times then the USA. I believe something around close to 130 instances of small and large scale invasions. The USA has always had a love... Of... controlling us.

They do mean a lot to each other. It's a shame more Americans don't know about Canada and what it has to offer.

To Americans or to US citizens? Because it's not the same.

[Image: tumblr_mn9ihsPyjs1r39rqto1_400.jpg]

Can't wait to see the version of this video with neighbours south of the border

[Image: popcorn3.gif]

She go crazy, is hamster!

I like canadians, as a Brit I tend to find them a bit more similar to us than Americans personality wise. I enjoy winding up my Canadian friends though by saying culturally they are just the same as America (the french part excepted).

[Image: tumblr_lo5r9mivyQ1qimojpo1_500.jpg]

This is why we can't have nice things.

Poking fun at our Canadian neighbors is (usually) always done in good fun to bust your balls. South Park is biggest culprit of this.

But, sometimes I never know what you guys are talking aboot.

We have a shitload of Canadian tourists in my Florida beach town in the winter-we call them Snowbirds-they are old as fuck, are a safety hazard on the roads, are notorious for not tipping (hence the term Canadian being used as an epithet by restaurant workers), are otherwise cheap as hell, will go to the 20 item limit checkout line with 40 items, sneakily spread their Canadian quarters everywhere which you receive in change and then have difficulty spending so it costs you money, brag about how wonderful Canadian socialized medicine is while they cram our local clinics here to get medical care they either can't get or have to wait an excessive amount of time for in Canada, and are prone to acting smug and superior and making anti-American statements.

The Canadian summer tourists aren't so bad. I recently pulled one from a bar after I shut her down when she started making anti-american statements. Blasting my American cum down her gullet twice was quite satisfyng

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

^^Is this a common trait? Being anti American yet coming and visiting America? [Image: laugh3.gif]

Quote: (06-22-2013 02:34 PM)MrXY Wrote:  

We have a shitload of Canadian tourists in my Florida beach town in the winter-we call them Snowbirds-they are old as fuck, are a safety hazard on the roads, are notorious for not tipping (hence the term Canadian being used as an epithet by restaurant workers), are otherwise cheap as hell, will go to the 20 item limit checkout line with 40 items, sneakily spread their Canadian quarters everywhere which you receive in change and then have difficulty spending so it costs you money, brag about how wonderful Canadian socialized medicine is while they cram our local clinics here to get medical care they either can't get or have to wait an excessive amount of time for in Canada, and are prone to acting smug and superior and making anti-American statements.

My dad and step mom are snow birds, they live in a retirement community about ten miles from where El Mechanico lives in Florida, they basically fit your description. My dad doesn't even like Americans and always complains about them, almost as much as everyone in their community bitches about the French Canadians.

Quote: (06-22-2013 02:48 PM)houston Wrote:  

^^Is this a common trait? Being anti American yet coming and visiting America? [Image: laugh3.gif]

Yes it is and my dad is a perfect example of this, once he was going on about how obsessed the Yanks are with their guns and how he doesn't like to drink with them because "you never know when one of those lunatics will pull out a gun", so I asked him, "so why do you even come down here if you don't like Americans?" to which he replied, "they've got good weather, cheap beer and where the hell in Canada can I get a ticket to a Habs game for $30?."

Meanwhile, in Canada:

[img][Image: moose.jpg][/img]

The one thing I jeaous of Canadians (or any other foriegn citizen) is their ability to escape their home country's onerous tax systems by establishing residency in another country (like DR or Panama). Us Americans are in the same boat as the Eritreans (taxation by citizenship).

I guess I could follow that multistep plan I wrote in Gmanifesto's piece on expatriation, but its too time consuming and you can always just move overseas, not file a tax return, and if you want to return to America stay on the DL. If I have spawn though, I got a plan for that. Canada, like USA, grants citizenship by birth (not by blood, as is done in Europe), so I can just have some anchor babies there, they renounce the US citizenship they inherit from me, and presto first world citizenship without tax liability