rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Reggae

Reggae

Can anyone give some good reggae recommendations? I'm only familiar with Bob Marley and Peter Tosh but I'm all ears. I saved this from Facebook a while back but don't know if it's a decent list.

Quote:Quote:

To those wishing to expand beyond Bob Marley’s Legend, it’s a decent starting place and suggests that 1976-78 was a banner period for the form. Reggae is very much a genre based on singles and its predecessors, ska and rocksteady, are best represented by singles compilations. But the list below makes a good argument for the reggae album.

1. Two Sevens Clash, Culture (1977): The political stuff is apocalyptic and the spiritual stuff is moving. This masterpiece sounds urgent years later.

2. Heart of the Congos, the Congos (1977): This duo hooked up with sometimes-superproducer Lee “Scratch” Perry for a diverse but gripping group of songs that many consider reggae’s best album.

3. Right Time, Mighty Diamonds (1976): This trio is a great link to reggae’s vocal roots in rocksteady. Their harmonies are the best in reggae.

4. Police and Thieves, Junior Murvin (1977): Not to be confused with the OW’s Junior Murvin, this roots reggae star has a high but fiery voice, the perfect vessel for his high-minded lyrics. Another great Lee Perry production.

5. Funky Kingston, Toots and the Maytals (1973): Soulful Toots Hibbert is reggae’s best singer and this has Pomp and Pride, one of his best songs. A reissue filled it out with stronger material.

6. War ina Babylon, Max Romeo and the Upsetters (1976): His naughtier inclinations made Romeo seem like a novelty singer. But here he gets serious and hooks up with Perry (him again) and the Upsetters for a masterpiece.

7. Red, Black Uhuru (1981): Him/her vocals and smart and angry songs about bad times in Jamaica. Lest it all seem to heavy, there’s Utterance, a beautiful ode to a spiritual awakening.

8. Marcus Garvey, Burning Spear (1975): Smart, historically minded album that is a cornerstone of roots reggae. And the backing music by the Black Disciples is tight and funky.

9. The Harder They Come, Jimmy Cliff/various (1972): It’s a soundtrack and thus cobbled together, but I’m making an exception for a wondrous reggae document. The songs are all great, and Cliff is the main contributor with the title track, Many Rivers to Cross and You Can Get It If You Really Want.

10. Deidem, Taj Weekes and Adowa (2008): Lest it seem like quality reggae disappeared during the ’90s (though it kind of did), contemporary roots reggae singer Weekes has a high voice that reminds of Murvin and he traffics in the traditional.

11-steel pulse TRUE DEMOCRACY/ TRIBUTE TO THE MARTYRS

12-THIRD WORLD (96 degrees in da shade/try Jah Love

Reggae

Tougher than tough - The history of Jamaican Music.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Reggae

Depends on if you are feeling more "roots reggae" vs. the newer rap influenced dancehall style. Personally I like them both, but tend to lean towards listening to dancehall more these days.

Roots:

Dancehall:

Reggae

some of my favorites

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Reggae

Big Tune:

Reggae

Steel Pulse's "True Democracy" is the best roots reggae album every created. Hands down.

Reggae

Reggae

I really like the 100% Dynamite! compilations.

The Puritan hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators. - Thomas B. Macaulay

Rick Von Slonecker is tall, rich, good-looking, stupid, dishonest, conceited, a bully, liar, drunk and thief, an egomaniac, and probably psychotic. In short, highly attractive to women. - Whit Stillman

Reggae

Reggae

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Reggae

I have to second the Gregory Isaacs "night nurse" recommendation. My undisputed number one reggae tune would have to be "bodyguard" by Steel Pulse. It is just simply the jam. Ive really been getting into the Damian "jr. gong" Marley stuff. He is really good, and if you just listen, he sounds eerily similar to his dad. Just good music all around. "Bandelero" by pinchers is another catchy tune. Cutty Ranks, and Shabba Ranks is good as well.

Reggae

Do you have to be stoned to appreciate the music? [Image: troll.gif]

Reggae

Quote: (06-22-2013 04:44 PM)houston Wrote:  

Do you have to be stoned to appreciate the music? [Image: troll.gif]

No, but being fucked up makes all music sound better. That spacey, dubbed out reggae though, that can be some trippy shit.

This may still be my fav reggae song of all time. How can anyone be in a bad mood after hearing this shit:

Reggae

UB40 Present Arms is a very good reggae album, highly recommended. Lots of horns, it was 1980's modern British reggae, very good to listen to with a buzz. They were a reggae band when they did that album.

Highlights are: One In Ten, Lamb's Bread, Sardonicus, and Don't Let It Pass You By, the whole album is good.

Then they did Red, Red Wine, and became a completely different band.

Reggae

Stephen Marley - Hey Baby feat. Mos Def. I been putting this song on cds I make for about 8 months now an still dont get tired of cruising to it.

Major Lazer - Get Free ft. Amber of the Dirty Projectors Some newer dope Reggaeness

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Reggae

Speaking of Toots and the Maytals, there's this great comercial ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92AaGRJFJ1M

Reggae

I know you said you know about Peter Tosh already Houston but just in case it has passed you by, make sure you get hold of his 'Equal Rights' album. A beast of an album that blows Marley's best efforts out of the water.

Reggae

No Dennis Brown? I'm shocked with you all............

It doesn't get any better than this

and from when Sunsplash came to South London

Reggae

Someone on another forum uploaded a bunch of old vinyl reggae if anyone wants the mix

Code:
Code:
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/41953708/file.html

Reggae

Yellowman.

Reggae

The rewards I see from working is what made me an addict.
There's way more people that want it than people that have it.

Reggae

I've been listening to reggae since the mid-1980s and the only type I now listen to regularly is dub. The undisputed godfather of dub is King Tubby. He was a sound engineer who, using primitive 1970s technology, mixed the tracks of other reggae artists. It predominantly instrumental with a heavy drum and bass line. Many of todays djs and mixers owe a debt of gratitude to King Tubby. Others who were immediately influenced by him are Yabby You and Scientist.

Another one to check out is Augustus Pablo. He played the melodica and had a unique sound that was unlike anything that came before it. It's both haunting and mesmerizing.

Kick back, spark up a bowl and enjoy the ride!

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Reggae

No list is complete without the legend Lee "Scratch" Perry. I saw him in concert. He's nuts.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Reggae

Great thread. I have been enjoying the themed Podcasts of a Canadian reggae DJ (Mick Sleeper). You can pick a sub-genre or artists and check it out streamed or MP3 download.

I listen to a lot of Lee "Scratch" Perry. Maybe too much.

http://upsetter.net/podcast/

Great way to discover historical Jamaican artists.

"Equality may perhaps be a right, but no power on earth can ever turn it into a fact."

"Want him to be more of a man? Try being more of a woman!"

"It is easier to be a lover than a husband, for the same reason that it is more difficult to be witty every day, than to say bright things from time to time."

Balzac, Physiology of Marriage

Reggae

Some tracks taken from Blow Your Head Vol 2

Some of these are moombahton, a mix of EDM and Reggae. If you like these check out the whole compilation