rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to become a stylist?

How to become a stylist?

Over the last month two friends have asked me to help them with their wardrobes.

Of course I will help them for free, but maybe I can make this a side gig.

What is the best way to start this?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

How to become a stylist?

I have been asked a few times as well.

I imagine it would take a bunch of up front research. Stores that have the good basics, mens shops that have the staples, and then some good go to spots for accessories. Shoes are also huge, and one place I never recommend guys to skimp.

The guys I would want to work with would not be set on trends, but would just want some good solid fashion to clean themselves up without looking like they are "trying to hard".

Set a budget with them, get a small fee for the consultation and then take a % of the total wardrobe. Maybe 10-15%. If you are in the right circles for this, some guys drop $3000 and still dont have style. A good stylist can make a guy look good for $500.

It would be harder in Canada, as having access to the US online world would be a massive bonus. I picked up an Eton shirt and tie at Harry Rosen on the weekend on sale and it still ran me $300. Such is life in Canada. On the bright side Eton in Sweden was €250 a shirt so I guess I cant complain too much.

How to become a stylist?

@Laner - thanks for the response, you have given me some good ideas.

I was thinking of a flat fee for my time to start.

I tend to buy most of my gear in London or on English clothing websites. Eton make nice shirts but I didn't know they were that expensive.

Our New Blog:

How to become a stylist?

If you go flat fee I think you will not make money. Unless you have lots of free time. Small up front fee and then a % is the way to go I think, but I have not given this too much thought.

I am always open to other interesting ways to do business.

Do you not get hammered on duty ordering from UK? I usually get about a 30-50% duty and tax charge!

How to become a stylist?

Yeah man that duty thing is crazy, bought a Austin Reed suit recently and they killed me. The suit fits like a glove and I am still way ahead, considering a good Italian wool made suit is going to run me a $1000 in Canada.
Next time I will send it to a friend in London, either pick it up myself or have him mail it.

I have noticed a few Topshops/Topman opening in Toronto as of late, the prices are a little steep for the quality.

How do dudes dress out west? Can't imagine there are many guys like you out there.

Our New Blog:

How to become a stylist?

I'm sure you don't need any qualifications for this. Just make your own website, have some real testimonials and advertise...

How to become a stylist?

Have you seen masculine-style.com ? You could do something similar.

How to become a stylist?

Do you think you can convince someone to pay you even $50 for you to hangout with them for an hour at nordstrom??

this would be your biggest obstacle.

How to become a stylist?

Quote:Quote:

Yeah man that duty thing is crazy, bought a Austin Reed suit recently and they killed me. The suit fits like a glove and I am still way ahead, considering a good Italian wool made suit is going to run me a $1000 in Canada.
Next time I will send it to a friend in London, either pick it up myself or have him mail it.

That is the best way if you can get someone who is reliable and willing.

I sent a couple of suitcases from Sweden (full of clothes I picked up working in Milan and Swedish snus) back to Canada. Total shipping was $240, it took 10 days and was not charged duty. I wrote on the shipping bill that it was "Winter Clothes".

I have noticed a few Topshops/Topman opening in Toronto as of late, the prices are a little steep for the quality.

That place is brutal. Overhyped airball if there ever was one. I could not find a single item that I could justify spending the money on. It is straight up a one season buy. Even the classics have stylings that would not work outside of the current trends.

How do dudes dress out west? Can't imagine there are many guys like you out there.

In my scene there are some well dressed cats, mostly from Europe and black Americans. There used to be some sharp dressed Japanese but they dont seem to be around much these days. No other Asians have stepped in and taken over (in regards to fashion).

Local guys here dont seem to give a rats ass to fashion. T shirts. Dressed up is an untucked, non iron button up. It is changing here, but I do not see it ever getting to a fashion level of Montreal or NY. The guys at Indochino are putting in some good work here though.

I do get some hate from some guys here, but mostly its compliments. It is not hard for well dressed guys here to stand out.

Do you think you can convince someone to pay you even $50 for you to hangout with them for an hour at nordstrom??

this would be your biggest obstacle.

I dont think this is what we are getting at. The $50 would be consultation fee and from there the clothes would be gathered from different sources. It would be nearly impossible to find everything in one hour in Nordstroms.

Actually it would be impossible.

How to become a stylist?

Laner - you are in Van city right?

I checked out the Masculine style website which is pretty good, but I am not giving that info out for free. Thinking maybe a blog might be the way to go, but I don't want to start it from Toronto. I have seen a few guys that have blogs here and they are gay or hipster try hard.

Our New Blog: