rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bill Maher on Marijuana in America

Quote:Quote:

Of course, there's a big economic incentive to legalizing marijuana. More than a decade ago, there was a county in Georgia where the people fired the sheriff because he was busting pot farmers. The crop was their lifeblood, so they got rid of the hardass and elected a sheriff who pledged to look the other way. That's the kind of sea change that's happening in America right now. If 40 years of abject failure of the War on Drugs has taught us anything, it's that the customer base is large, strong and loyal. So as in everything, money talks. And money is there to be made. There's no going back. We've reached the tipping point, legal marijuana is here to stay – it's just a matter of how fast it will happen across the country.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news...a-20130610

[Image: 20130604-stoned-age-600-1370376788.jpg]

I'm curious to know what effects the legalization of marijuana in Washington state will have on the Canadian bud market, in particular the infamous BC bud grown out west since its right next door to Washington. The majority of Canadians support the legalization of marijuana but there's not way in hell we could ever legalize it before the USA does, which is what I hope will happen.

I agree with Bill Maher: The legalization of marijuana is coming, at least on a state by state basis.

Washington and Colorado already did it, so I don't see what is going stop other states from doing it.

i'm not a weed smoker so i really couldnt care any less, but the fact that weed is illegal and alcohol isnt is ridiculous. alcohol causes 100x more problems then weed ever will.

Man when that shit becomes legal.

Holy fuck.

Nope.

Quote: (06-10-2013 10:04 PM)Rosca Wrote:  

Holy fuck.

Hopefully a bunch of cool new Weed bars will open up where people can smoke and drink. I really hope there's some kind of revival to the night life scene because right now it's on life support.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (06-10-2013 09:30 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I'm curious to know what effects the legalization of marijuana in Washington state will have on the Canadian bud market, in particular the infamous BC bud grown out west since its right next door to Washington. The majority of Canadians support the legalization of marijuana but there's not way in hell we could ever legalize it before the USA does, which is what I hope will happen.

VIce did a mini doc on exactly what your talking about

Quote: (06-10-2013 10:12 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Holy fuck.

Hopefully a bunch of cool new Weed bars will open up where people can smoke and drink. I really hope there's some kind of revival to the night life scene because right now it's on life support.

Yeah, I'm hoping this as well. It could do wonders on reviving the nightlife in the US. I'm just waiting for it to happen here in CO. I believe by the end of the year they are trying to make it legal to sell to customers without a medical license. To be 100% honest though, at the moment it's easier for me to find herb in Florida or Vegas than it is for me in Denver, but that also has to do with me not knowing close to as many people out here as I do in Florida or Vegas. Also, the weed in Cali and Vegas is still better than it is here in CO.

Holy fuck.

Damn. Imagine going outside for a smoke break at a bar with a bubbler full of some good. Most people don't need to mix alcohol and good weed though lol. That can be a deadly combination if you don't know what you're doing.

I wonder if weed dispensaries will open up in major cities? Didn't Obama shut a bunch of them down in LA? Will you be able to grown your own plants? Will street dealers still have their businesses if shops are everywhere? I'm glad at least some kind of change is coming. Hopefully weed prices drop to the floor when everything's done with.

There's actually a whole bunch of weed articles in Rolling Stone this month
http://www1.rollingstone.com/weed/

Quote: (06-10-2013 10:48 PM)houston Wrote:  

Holy fuck.

Damn. Imagine going outside for a smoke break at a bar with a bubbler full of some good. Most people don't need to mix alcohol and good weed though lol. That can be a deadly combination if you don't know what you're doing.

I wonder if weed dispensaries will open up in major cities? Didn't Obama shut a bunch of them down in LA? Will you be able to grown your own plants? Will street dealers still have their businesses if shops are everywhere? I'm glad at least some kind of change is coming. Hopefully weed prices drop to the floor when everything's done with.

Yeah, I used to be able to smoke and drink all night long, now I can't do it. I can smoke and then drink, but the other way around is a recipe for disaster for me.

Denver has a ton of dispensaries. There are 3 that I know of in a half mile radius of me, and those are only ones that I've seen, I'm sure there are at least 3 more. The feds haven't touched the dispensaries here yet. From what I understand, the feds aren't going to fuck with CO much and use it as a test state to see how it goes.

IP - why don't you get a medical card to go to the dispensaries. It's not like CA where anyone can get one?

I'm not really that big of a stoner to really care to get it. Plus I've heard mixed things about employers and insurance companies being able to see if you have a license, which obviously on paper it isn't necessarilly a good look to be a stoner. But yes its beyond easy to get a license. All you need is $150.

That brings up another good point. Will employers check to see if you have a medical license once everything is over?

Quote: (06-10-2013 11:04 PM)houston Wrote:  

That brings up another good point. Will employers check to see if you have a medical license once everything is over?

Idk, but here if you're applying with any national companies, if its their policy they are still drug testing. Even though its legal, many companies still have a 0 tolerance on drugs.

Quote: (06-10-2013 10:51 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Holy fuck.

Yeah, I used to be able to smoke and drink all night long, now I can't do it. I can smoke and then drink, but the other way around is a recipe for disaster for me.

Denver has a ton of dispensaries. There are 3 that I know of in a half mile radius of me, and those are only ones that I've seen, I'm sure there are at least 3 more. The feds haven't touched the dispensaries here yet. From what I understand, the feds aren't going to fuck with CO much and use it as a test state to see how it goes.

I live in Denver too, man. There are literally hundreds of dispensaries here. I'm pretty sure that as of January 2014 people and businesses can start applying for licenses to sell weed the way liquor stores sell booze and I think people can start applying for licenses to start weed clubs and coffeeshop type places then also.

Quote: (06-10-2013 09:30 PM)scotian Wrote:  

The (hydro supply) retailers in BC are doing good business south of the border. I just saw in my elevator news feed that so much business is coming north for top of the line products that they are having a hard time filling orders.

I also have a friend that grows for the government (Canada) and they are asking for more supply, as well as a change in the "formula". They seem to be going "green" and wanting a less potent, more organic smoke.

I dont smoke much anymore but I tried some a few weeks back and it was delicious. So much more tolerable to the midnight toker than the gangster hydro out there.

Quote: (06-10-2013 11:09 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Quote: (06-10-2013 11:04 PM)houston Wrote:  

Idk, but here if you're applying with any national companies, if its their policy they are still drug testing. Even though its legal, many companies still have a 0 tolerance on drugs.
Fuck!

Smoking weed is good, but its best to do it on vacation nowadays. Too many jobs and shit trying to drug test you.

Nope.

I wonder if weed dispensaries will open up in major cities? Didn't Obama shut a bunch of them down in LA?

No, Obama did not shut down a bunch of marijuana dispensaries in LA. The City of Los Angeles did. Here's how it went down:

Dispensary permits were tied to zoning laws and capped at a particular density, much like alcohol permits.

In the mad dash at the beginning of the dispensary business world, just over 700 dispensaries opened in LA. Many of these complied with state medical marijuana laws but ignored the city zoning and permitting requirements.

The City instituted a moratorium on new dispensaries in 2007 or 2008 in response to the deluge, and began to crack down on unpermitted or improperly zoned storefronts.

By 2010, there were around 150 dispensaries, which is closer to the number originally permitted.

Same thing happened in San Diego, except SD also starting fining landlords for zoning violations. The landlords in turn evicted the dispensaries as settlement. A lot of these dispensary guys were renting property, illegally modifying it for growhouse operations, and then running industrial uses in residential or commercial zones. You should see some of the damage a lot of these shady operators did to the real estate they rented.

Honestly, i look forward to legalization. I'd rather toke up than drink. Toking is a lot less destructive to my health than drinking.

My Uncle has been growing weed since the 60s. His shit is awesome. I don't smoke weed very often, maybe a few times a year at this rate, but when he visits it's always a good time.

He's basically one of the pioneers in Arizona right now, which just passed some legalization laws. If you're a patient or caregiver, you can grow up to 12 plants without any additional permits or licenses other than your card. That's pretty insane. He's working to develop a larger facility but I'm not sure what the legalities are involved with that.

There are a lot of implications to legalized pot, and noone knows for sure what's going to happen. There are a lot of growers and sellers that don't want the government's hand in their business, adding taxes and requiring permits and such. They'd rather it be on the black market but mostly decriminalized. Then you've got guys like my Uncle, who have been busted enough times and have been doing this shit for so long that, given the current state of affairs in Arizona, he couldn't be happier.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Damn, crazy about AZ. Just a few years ago my friend, who didn't smoke and was just bringing weed to his mother with cancer, was pulled over and charged with possession of weed in AZ and it was a felony. He got it dropped to a misdaminor though, which I feel was probably fairly common at the time.

We are certainly living in interesting times as even Pat Robertson wants the stuff legalized.
But as America is mostly owned by corporations and lobbyists, a lot of whom benefit financially from the criminalization of marijuana, this will be a very tough battle.

On one side we have the tobacco industry who would be happy to see this come to pass and are apparently preparing to grow and commercialize it and who are almost certainly throwing lots of lobbyist dollars to make it happen.

But on the other hand, you have the prison industrial complex like CXW who need 90% occupancy rates of prisons to remain profitable and use marijuana possession arrests to do so, correction officers unions whose jobs are on the line, the police unions and politicians who need the marijuana arrests so that they look like they are being tough on crime and useful, the DEA who want to keep such things under their discretion, the Mexican Cartels who prefer it to be illegal so they can have massive profits, and so on. Somehow, these parties have to be dealt with before legalization can happen, and I don't really see that happening unless there is a furious public uproar to flush them all out.

Quote: (06-11-2013 02:51 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Honestly, i look forward to legalization. I'd rather toke up than drink. Toking is a lot less destructive to my health than drinking.

I don't really do either but I support legalization as well. The War on Drugs is a waste of time and money.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.