rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightlifting with history of joint injury?

So basically I broke my left wrist when I was 4 and then at 7 had some kind of severe elbow injury (either a dislocation or a fracture) also on my left arm that required being in a cast for a few months. The wrist has never really bothered me at all since then (I turn 24 in June) although it has recently developed a wrist ganglion cyst that's kinda unseemly and makes me suspect the joint integrity is not all there. With the elbow though, although for 99.99999% of my life I neither feel it or think about it, there have been episodes over the past few years where during periods of activity like volleyball or boxing (jabbing) an ache has developed. Furthermore, I've had crepitus-that grinding sound in the joint-whenever I do pushups as long as I can remember, and even when I just flex the elbow with the palm facing upward. What provided the catharsis for me to make this thread is that the latest episode of very mild elbow ache is occurring right now, as a result of doing some stupid gymnastics shit on an outdoor pullup bar here in Shanghai.

Anyway, I'm quite inexperienced in weightlifting so I wanted to ask you guys, for those with a history of joint injury, do you find that doing an intense weightlifting regimen tends to worsen your joints over time? On the one hand I've really been meaning to hit the gym hard starting in July because I'm pathetically skinny (140 on a 5'10 frame) but on the other hand, I'm just in my mid 20's and I'm pretty sure I have the beginning of osteoarthritis in at least the left elbow, and probably left wrist as well. If heavy upper body workouts accelerate the degenerative process then I could find myself with a useless (not to mention agonizing) arm before I turn 40 which would kinda suck just a little bit. So in case there is anybody here who has some insight on damaged joints vis a vis weightlifting, I'd appreciate any feedback!

I'm not a medical expert, but I am getting old and have found doing weightlifting movements SLOWLY as in FUCKING SLOW with careful attention to form seems to result in less injury for me.

The worst injuries I've had over the last couple years was (1) A possible unguinal hernia from trying to do squats while fat. (2) Maybe breaking a rib on one of those machines where you rest your chest against a vertical and pull weights towards you.

When you move slowly you can feel things starting to get too strained and back off.

Go see a doctor, dont rely on inexperienced advice from random dudes on the internet when it comes to your physical well being.

One thing for sure, weightlifting will make your problem worse. Lifting heavy ass weights does not magically cure joint pain it does the opposite. Push movements like bench will be the worst for you. Id stick to flyes and the pec deck machine to take the emphasis off your wrist. Use the preacher curl instead of free standing DB curls to take the emphasis off your elbow.

NEVER lock out at the top of a movement where your arms are completely straight and all the weight is going down through your arms such as in bench and skullcrushers. Locking out is a huge mistake you see 99% of the people at the gym do. There is also Orange Triad joint relief which is very highly rated but expensive and probably won't help your wrist problem.

Quote: (05-21-2013 01:30 AM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Go see a doctor, dont rely on inexperienced advice from random dudes on the internet when it comes to your physical well being.

One thing for sure, weightlifting will make your problem worse. Lifting heavy ass weights does not magically cure joint pain it does the opposite. Push movements like bench will be the worst for you. Id stick to flyes and the pec deck machine to take the emphasis off your wrist. Use the preacher curl instead of free standing DB curls to take the emphasis off your elbow.

NEVER lock out at the top of a movement where your arms are completely straight and all the weight is going down through your arms such as in bench and skullcrushers. Locking out is a huge mistake you see 99% of the people at the gym do. There is also Orange Triad joint relief which is very highly rated but expensive and probably won't help your wrist problem.

That's basically what I figured. This shit is a major downer, as there is basically no upper body exercises one can do without placing tons of strain on the elbows, whether it be pushing or pulling. I think I'm basically fuked in a few years time no matter what I do. I'm not into artsy shit and mental masturbation so most of the stuff I was looking at doing in the future (especially as I get older and get more money) involved physical activity ie scuba diving, swimming, mountain climbing, hiking, sailing, etc. All that shit becomes kinda hard, not to mention excruciating, when one of your elbows is in an advanced arthritic state. It's just unbelievable to me that I'm already dealing with physical issues usually first encountered by dudes when they turn 60 while only I'm only 24. And all because of injuries that occurred when I was a prepubescent[Image: wacko.gif]

Don't know about elbows, but I have had knee problems, and I believe that weightlifting with good form has helped them. At 42 I rarely get knee pain after playing basketball. Stands to reason that stronger muscles supporting the joints would help.

One day I start feeling a sharp burning pain in my left elbow joint, so I am being very careful to go slowly and lifting the right amount of weights. My first priority is to not have any injuries.

Rico... Sauve....

There are so many stretches that you can do with a resistance band. Flexibility is just as important as raw strength it comes into play while playing sports and getting better ROM when lifting.

I have recommended this site earlier but it`s what made me start training and gain from a 5`10/70kg chap to 80kgs. I started insanely light and went for nazi form, and I have never had an injury. What`s better is that you get WAY more effect out of your training. Go to Scoobys website and do it properly. It`s free (but up for donations) He will never tell you to cut corners and pump like som gym-idiots does.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/