rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Engineer Thread - Jobs, Universities, PE Exam, Salaries, Fly Girls???.

So the tradesman have their thread thanks to Scotian and Co., the Wall Street guys have their threads, we've got lawyers doctors and dentists threads, and thedude3737 is posting datasheets for chefs. I know there's a bunch of engineers, STEM students, and other technical guys on the forum, this thread is for us.

If you guys are interested, I'll write a series of posts on here about engineering, including info on job hunting, advice for younger guys thinking of getting into engineering, getting a Professional Engineer (PE) certification, career development, salaries, and more.

How do you know if this thread applies to you? If you find the following pictures amusing and you actually read the writing, read on. If you just stared at the girl's boobs, go back to the Game forum.

[Image: civilengineering.jpg]

[Image: mail1.gif]

Anyway, engineering is a great field, and one of the few undergrad degrees that is actually worth the cost of college nowadays (and you don't need an advanced degree to practice, unlike law or medicine). Your classes will be sausage fests, but you'll have great earning potential after school. Also, an engineering degree is considered valuable in many fields - guys I graduated with were scooped up by Wall Street, top law schools, etc. So even if you don't want to work as an engineer, it's a great degree to have.

A word about myself. I've got a BS and an ME, and over 10 years experience in the energy field. I love my career, and wouldn't change a thing, but for sure it's not for everybody.

Hope you guys find this useful. If so, feel free to post up more info, or let me know if you have any questions or other topics you want me to hit.

Trades men get the girls though

Quote: (05-18-2013 05:46 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Trades men get the girls though

True, those female welders are sexy...

[Image: women_welders_swanisland.jpg]

Great thread! Maybe we can share some info on people working as freelance engineers.

I might be working rotation offshore 2 weeks on 4 weeks off in the future. Would be a great opportunity to start some extra gig.

Maybe a freelance CAD-designer or programmer would be a nice bet.

to OP
Energy field, are we talking oil?

Engineering University
I'm going to start out with a post about how to get into engineering university, how to pass, how to get laid when your classes are all sausage fests, etc. This is for the younger guys in high school thinking about college or the guys who already started school but might want to change it up.

If you have any kind of technical aptitude, engineering is a great field to go into. Work hard on math and science in HS, and try to pass the AP exams (Americans only). Unlike all the psychology, history, communications, and English majors, there's actually good jobs with good salaries waiting for you at the end of the rainbow.

Engineering also allows you to work just about anywhere in the world. The law is different from country to country, cultures are unique, but the principles of engineering are universal. My job has taken me across four continents.

Now if you're the kind of guy who can strip down and rebuild an engine without looking at a manual, but can't do a square root to save your life (and I know a lot of these guys), then my advice would be to check out Scotian's threads on oil and gas work. There's great money in the trades, with or without a 2 year degree, and if you don't have the stomach for tons of calculus, physics and chemistry, then a 4-year engineering degree is gonna be hell for you.

One good thing about engineering is that its not super critical to go to a top university in order to get a job. As long as you get your work done and graduate with a half-decent GPA, you're on the right track. Not to say that a B.S. from Bumblefuck U = B.S. summa cum laude from MIT, but the difference is not as critical as it is for lawyers or business people. So shoot for the top schools, but don't be too bummed if you end up at a second-tier school.

Also, being a top athlete in HS can help you get into a better school. So even if they have a D2 or D3 program, they may pull some strings to get you in if you can contribute to one of their teams.

One tip for enjoying college is to minor in something useful with lots of girls, like Spanish. This will give you a much needed breath of fresh air after Calculus 3, give you access to fly girls, and keep you from being too one-dimensional. If you're into it, join a frat and you'll get all the social activity you need. Just don't be a dumbass and major in fine arts just because you think they'll be fly girls there. Your future self will be pissed.

How to pass - this one is real simple.
1. Work your ass off
2. Make friends with the smart kids. If it wasn't for some of my genius friends I never would have made it.
3. Game your professors.
4. Party your ass off. Seriously. You'll never make it if you're only studying all the time and never get laid.

If you're still struggling, convince your parents to pay for a 5th year. Then try and get your shit together, so you can do a semester abroad screwing around and picking up flags.

Summers - try to get an internship in your field. Hit up everyone you know that works at a technical company and ask if they need an intern for the summer, even if it's not directly in your discipline. This will help immensely when you're trying to get a job after senior year.

If you can't get a decent internship, go abroad and pick up fly foreign chics to make up for the slightly overweight Asian girl you settled for during finals week.

Which engineering field to pick? I'll post up soon a quick overview of the different disciplines.

Let me know if y'all have other tips for students or questions on school.

Sabre gas some goid pounts:

I actually had to go grad school because a BS in biomedical engineering doesn't pay well compared to how much work I had to put in. It's one of the few degrees where getting your masters pays at least 50% more vs B.S.

I can only speak about biomedical and material engineering.
If you go into biomedical engineering then you're looking at 15 an hour for all that work. Get your Masters and you're looking at 60k minimum. i wouldn't work for anything less.

As long as you go to a tier 3 and above college you will be good. Any school that has an actually College of Engineering will suffice

shit is hard too. No going out and drinking every weekend while banging 9s. I could tell you the names if all the 7s and aboves that were my peers. Your game will suffer but you can make up for it later in life.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Quote: (05-18-2013 05:58 PM)pants Wrote:  

Great thread! Maybe we can share some info on people working as freelance engineers.

I might be working rotation offshore 2 weeks on 4 weeks off in the future. Would be a great opportunity to start some extra gig.

Thanks bro. I'm gonna post soon about freelance type work. I've never done that kind of 2 on/4 off work before, but I have done shift/on-call work. There's big money in jobs that pay overtime and not just a global salary.

Maybe a freelance CAD-designer or programmer would be a nice bet.

It could be, but most places I've worked the CAD drafters are not paid as well as the engineers - many of them have two year degrees instead of four. And if you're gonna freelance, you'll need to pay for the drafting software, which is very expensive.

There's also firms that outsource engineers/techs for project work as drafters. So a big company like GM is starting a new project and needs drafters, but doesn't want to keep them on after the project, they go to companies like this.

to OP
Energy field, are we talking oil?

Not oil, natural gas and renewable energy

Quote: (05-18-2013 06:26 PM)CThunder86 Wrote:  

I actually had to go grad school because a BS in biomedical engineering doesn't pay well compared to how much work I had to put in. It's one of the few degrees where getting your masters pays at least 50% more vs B.S.

I can only speak about biomedical and material engineering.
If you go into biomedical engineering then you're looking at 15 an hour for all that work. Get your Masters and you're looking at 60k minimum. i wouldn't work for anything less.

Thanks man. I actually know nothing about biomedical, so can't speak to it much. I'm surprised by the salary, most engineers I know make significantly more than 15/hr with a Bachelors. How many years experience are you talking about?

Quote: (05-18-2013 06:26 PM)CThunder86 Wrote:  

shit is hard too. No going out and drinking every weekend while banging 9s. I could tell you the names if all the 7s and aboves that were my peers. Your game will suffer but you can make up for it later in life.

I partied (almost) every weekend in uni. Worked my ass off too.

But yeah, 9's are few and far between! Definitely agree with your last sentence too.

The 15 an hour is just for biomedical engineering. Electrical and computer eng are great for those who just want their bachelors.

Serious question.

Do Engineers find their subject enjoyable? I started out doing an Engineering course and dropped out after a couple of weeks.

Is Engineering something that people get through in order to get qualified? Or is it something which is enjoyable for some people as well. Both of my brothers are engineers - but they don't seem to enjoy it much.

Quote: (05-18-2013 07:57 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Serious question.

Do Engineers find their subject enjoyable? I started out doing an Engineering course and dropped out after a couple of weeks.

Is Engineering something that people get through in order to get qualified? Or is it something which is enjoyable for some people as well. Both of my brothers are engineers - but they don't seem to enjoy it much.

Qualified for what? Did you mean for something like med school? If so, then yes.

It can be kinda monotonous but what job isn't? I like it. No weekends, no leadership position so that means no stress or working late, 8-5, pays good, little or no females (aka no drama) in the work place.

What else could a guy ask for?

When you studying Engineering at University did you find it interesting? Or just something to stick out until you passed your exams?

Quote: (05-18-2013 08:33 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

When you studying Engineering at University did you find it interesting? Or just something to stick out until you passed your exams?

I just took it as my major because...well...I like chemistry and biology classes so it seemed the most logical major for me. So I def found it interesting.

I need to read up in how European colleges differ from American.

Quote: (05-18-2013 07:57 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Serious question.

Fair question. I've enjoyed most of the jobs I've done, and I had a great time at university. Of course there's some drudgery, and too much calculus in school, but all in all it's something I like, not something I did just to get a good job. We were doing cool shit in engineering school too, designing cars, playing with high tech computer aided machining and water jet cutters, and just learning how the world around us functions.

I try to be brutally honest in my posts - engineering isn't for everyone. It can be hard as hell.

But it gets you out from behind the computer and into the real world. This is a field where you're actually making something, which is a great plus for me. At the end of a project, you can actually hold a finished product in your hands and say "I made this", as opposed to jobs where you're just pushing money around or convincing people to buy shit they don't need. No hate for how another man makes his living, but engineering is a job you can take real pride in.

Hey Sabra, great post and great thread. Not sure if you mentioned already but what engineering area are you on?

I am a recently graduated software engineer. Have had a few jobs here and there but not much experience. I would really like to know whats your take on location independent gigs for us engineers?

Here's my take on it (graduated a few years ago).

- I have a shit ton of friends in Biomedical engineering. They all did graduate school afterwards. It's a really interesting major by itself (you effectively learn the basics of electrical and mechanical engineering, chemistry, biology and a variety of other topics, making you a well-rounded scientist). However there's very few jobs available. It's still a very young major.

- I would sincerely advice people to go with electrical or computer engineering. I got my degree in electrical engineering. No problem getting internships or job offers. I applied for two jobs my senior year, got interviews for both. First one was for a small company, after the interview the guy introduced me to their VP (I assumed I had gotten the job, I did). The other job, I went through three rounds and got the job. From what I can tell, computer engineering has even better job opportunities.

- Not many people might think of it, but a lot of schools keep Computer Science in their College of Engineering. I feel a bit ambiguous about Comp.Sci. If you go to a top school, you can probably get a job. However it's not incredibly hard to learn how to program (a lot of location independent self-taught programmers out there). So I'm reserved on giving any advice on doing Computer Science.

- Do fucking well. You don't need to do amazing (3.5GPA+), but it really does help to at least have a 3.0 GPA. This might be common sense, but really try to get into the best school you can (reputation/cost-wise) and get the best GPA you can. It'll just open up more doors.

- Join a fraternity. I did this, it helped me improve my social skills tremendously. A lot of my friends had a hard time getting jobs because they were really socially awkward. Also, join a top fraternity. I didn't and the sorority girls we hung out with were ugly. The better fraternities will give you access to better girls.

- Did I like everything? No. My first three years were pretty theoretical:
major courses
* 1st year: intro calculus, physics, chemistry, etc (standard first year engineering courses)
* 2nd year: circuits, computer science, circuits lab
* 3rd year: signals&systems, electromagnetism, statistics
But 4th year: senior design where all this shit was combined: fucking awesome
Most of my friends say the same time: the fun really begins in the 3rd and 4th year. This is why most people drop out of engineering, they can't stick with the bad shit to get to the good shit. Ironic, since it's quite similar to most things the vast majority of people do (can't stick with working out or eating good to enjoy the benefits later)

- Top schools for players: If I had to choose: Arizona State, UC Santa Barbara, UCLA. All three have respected electrical engineering departments (and I imagine engineering colleges in general) + super hot chicks from what I know.

- Top schools in general: MIT, Berkeley, CalTech, UIUC, GTech, Purdue, UMich, Stanford (the top engineering schools in the country), Ivy Leagues (usually not considered for their engineering, but Cornell, Princeton, UPenn are investing heavily + mad connections).

- Top schools cost-wise: whatever the best state school is for engineering for you. That could be Purdue, UMich, UIUC which is great reputation wise as well, or it could be Iowa State University.

- Final word of caution: be open-minded about careers. Very few engineers I know stick with their job. The reason: they're not good engineers and they hate it (they also hated doing engineering in school). However these kids do end up going into finance, consulting, law, other random shit, etc. I hear med schools love engineers, especially electrical engineers as they have knowledge of electrical circuits (fun fact: the heart and brain can both be simulated as an electrical circuit, the brain is a bit more complex, but kids in some intro circuit lab courses learn how to simulate the output of a heart).

I'm more than happy to answer any questions. PM if you like or post here

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

- Also, thread carefully. Not all engineering majors are created equally. The more girls an engineering major has, the easier it is generally and should be avoided. There's a reason why environmental engineering has so many girls and why the job opportunities aren't fantastic.

Usually the toughest degrees are in engineeering. So you will def get a leg up when applying to graduate and professional schools.

Love this thread idea, and will definitely be keeping my eye out on it.

Thoughts on petroleum engineering?

RVF Fearless Coindogger Crew

@thebassist, I would expand my options by going into chemical engineering. A lot of top school chemical engineers get recruited by oil companies. Fun fact: you'll learn how to produce ethanol (moonshine anyone?), which uses the same fundamental principles as cracking gas.

Additionally, if things ever go south with the oil companies, you can easily shift around and do stuff with biofuels (or really a shit ton of other stuff).

On the other hand, if you want the more lucrative, but also harsher, conditions of drilling rigs, I'd focus on 'real' petroleum engineering programs. Petroleum engineering tends to be focus on finding and extracting resources, while chemical engineering is more focused on the refining aspect. Most people inclined towards engineering (the ones who can sit down and work out calculus problems) would probably prefer the refining aspect.

Sorry for spamming, but I feel this might be interesting to know:

in a lot of 3rd world countries, engineering is given far more respect than in the US. I was talking to a buddy of mine in Asia and he told me I'd easily get a job there with my degree. Just something to think about for those of you who want to get out of the US.

Off-topic a bit: I love how liberal arts chicks use to think their degrees were just as valuable as mine...last time I checked on LinkedIn, they all had shitty jobs.

Quote: (05-19-2013 08:29 AM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

Off-topic a bit: I love how liberal arts chicks use to think their degrees were just as valuable as mine...last time I checked on LinkedIn, they all had shitty jobs.

Speak the truth

Quote: (05-19-2013 04:57 AM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

- Also, thread carefully. Not all engineering majors are created equally. The more girls an engineering major has, the easier it is generally and should be avoided. There's a reason why environmental engineering has so many girls and why the job opportunities aren't fantastic.

This is not true. I was an environmental engineering graduate, had no problem getting a job after graduation, same with all my peers who graduated with me. (mostly chicks which is true)

The water/waste water industry is beginning to experience a flux in retirements making environmental engineers more desirable. Not to mention the enormous opportunity abroad as more countries continue to develop their maiden infrastructure systems. Water is becoming liquid gold making engineers who know how to handle, clean , and recycle it that much more lucrative.

Quote: (05-18-2013 09:32 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Hey Sabra, great post and great thread. Not sure if you mentioned already but what engineering area are you on?

I am a recently graduated software engineer. Have had a few jobs here and there but not much experience. I would really like to know whats your take on location independent gigs for us engineers?

Thanks FretDancer. Congrats on graduating.

I work in mechanical engineering and project management in the energy field. I'll post up shortly about some location independent jobs for engineers.

Quote: (05-19-2013 08:17 AM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

@thebassist, I would expand my options by going into chemical engineering. A lot of top school chemical engineers get recruited by oil companies. Fun fact: you'll learn how to produce ethanol (moonshine anyone?), which uses the same fundamental principles as cracking gas.

Additionally, if things ever go south with the oil companies, you can easily shift around and do stuff with biofuels (or really a shit ton of other stuff).

On the other hand, if you want the more lucrative, but also harsher, conditions of drilling rigs, I'd focus on 'real' petroleum engineering programs. Petroleum engineering tends to be focus on finding and extracting resources, while chemical engineering is more focused on the refining aspect. Most people inclined towards engineering (the ones who can sit down and work out calculus problems) would probably prefer the refining aspect.

@Genghis Khan - great replies, thanks for posting.

I definitely agree with what you wrote about petroleum/chemical engineering. I would add that they use a ton of mechanical engineers for those jobs too, and like chemE, mechE is a more generalized field with more job options.

The other thing to remember is that you need to go where the work is. Not many petroleum jobs in NYC or London. You may be in Houston, North Dakota, or the United Arab Emirates. So just plan ahead and make sure that's what you want.