rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Guy deadlifts nearly 3x his bodyweight with fruitarian diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s6w2OGr_ds

Seems legit to me. Thoughts?

Kind of makes you wonder what muscles are for if strength is basically just CNS work.

I've cut down most of the meat (mostly pescatarian now) from my diet over the past couple years for environmental and factory farming reasons. Got no problem with people like hunters or farmers killing animals for food, but we really don't take any of that responsibility at all when we go to the supermarket looking for dirt-cheap steaks or chicken breasts. I substituted with lentils, split peas, black beans, quinoa as my protien staples and haven't really noticed any difference in my lifting. Judging by this guy's video, maybe for strength it doesn't really matter... I don't know.

I feel that veg diets get a bad reputation because its mostly adopted by hot chicks (or beta dudes looking to hook up with hot chicks) who know jack shit about nutrition and go from eating normalish meals to exclusively bread, pasta and salad. They go from normal looking to thin and frail which sort of is ok for chicks but leads to ridicule for the dudes. Normal people see this and feel it confirms the inferiority of plant based diets.

Anyway, I know a lot of you are big on the paleo diets (I think paleo attitudes towards organic, grass fed beef are definately a step in the right direction vs conventional meat) and whatnot so interested to hear all your thoughts.

You say it hasn't affected your lifting, but what about your muscles and tone? Basically aesthetically...

Strength undoubtedly has a material neurological component (Bruce Lee would be the paradigm example), although I bet it explains very little of the variation in strength across people, whereas muscle size does.

Anyway, until I can attract chicks with my neurological strength by walking around shirtless on the beach, I'll take aesthetics every time.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

I'm always a skeptic on these types of videos. Maybe the guys completely legit but theres no real way to know. He seems to be begging for attention and trying to monetize this. Not that I wouldn't and all respect to him if hes legit, but I'm a bit skeptical of these types.

And on another note, the guys form is terrible hes gonna hurt his back if he doesn't straighten it out.

Genetic outlier. These guys are the exception, not the norm. Didn't watch the video, but he's probably eating pounds and pounds and pounds of fruit a day. I've read journals from other frugivores, and they usually report poor muscle tone, dark circles under their eyes, thin hair, dry skin, low immune system, etc. I couldn't handle all the sugar, I've done short term fruit exclusive diets before, they're expensive and my energy level was all fucked up, highs with fast crashes.

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

I wonder what his macros look like?

Who the FUCK wears jeans when they deadlift.

Fruitarian diet is probably going to destroy his pancreas ala Steve Jobs

doesnt matter, he works on slipping a disc

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

That much fructose in your diet can't be good for you. Up to 40% of people in Western society suffer from fructose malabsorption (http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf) which can lead to depression (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evol...pression), IBS and it negatively affects mineral levels (http://www.jacn.org/content/19/1/31.full.pdf). Not to mention high sugar intake in itself can lead to obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease (type 3 diabetes), tooth decay and lowered testosterone (up to 25% decrease for several hours! http://www.endo-society.org/media/ENDO-0...sugar.cfm, just think about the long-term effects of that kind of diet).

I'll pass, to be honest I don't even see how you can build muscle on a fruitarian diet since it's so distinctly lacking in protein. IMO fruit has way too high calorie content compared to it's nutritional value, vegetables are a much better option.

Btw I used to be hardcore Paleo, but now I follow a modified Leangains methodology with periodic carbohydrate refeeds to boost leptin levels (leptin decreases with lowered body fat, calorie intake & carbohydrate intake - controls metabolic rate, thyroid function, testosterone production etc).

Big deal. I weigh in the 150's and I used to deadlift 450 for 10 reps....

Watch 30 bananas a day videos on youtube. He posts his labs and is totally transparent.

Fruit dont make you fat.

The dead lift guy is gonna slip a disk though. That is ego lifting. Poor form. Snap city.

Quote: (05-18-2013 03:36 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

Big deal. I weigh in the 150's and I used to deadlift 450 for 10 reps....

I hope you videotaped that. You could get clients off YouTube with those types of feats of strength.

Power on! This is lighter, but I used to be a good deadlifter : )

That's legit bro.

Step up your marketing and start getting clients online.

Haha, I "used" to power lift. I plan on posting some videos this summer, especially with chin ups.

That gym closed down, and I started going to another one and they closed down also. Most gyms aren't cool with heavy dead lifts : (

He must shit a lot.

I was thinking about this, but not fruit. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. My plan was to get protein and carbs from lentils and beans, then the rest vegetables, with occasional eatings of steak/seafood. I'm more interested in having the traditional male body type (Robert Mitchum, Don Draper), not fat, but not all buff, or do we all have to be buff to impress fatter women?

Quote: (05-18-2013 10:41 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

He must shit a lot.

Lol. Must really be powering the bowels.

At least no constipation issues and high fiber.

Quote: (05-18-2013 10:41 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

He must shit a lot.

Lol. Must really be powering the bowels.

Back in the day I used to hang out with quite a few "raw foodists". None of them were strict fruitarians due to sugar/diabetes issues. Actually most tried to moderate their fruit intake and increase greens and fat intake.

There are a couple of raw foodists and vegans who specifically work out hard and post impressive numbers just to disprove the notion that they are all skinny dudes who get sand kicked in their face. I think as long as they get a wide variety of plant matter (fruit only will be very difficult IMO) they can be as strong/jacked as any natural lifter.

Quote: (05-20-2013 01:47 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Back in the day I used to hang out with quite a few "raw foodists". None of them were strict fruitarians due to sugar/diabetes issues. Actually most tried to moderate their fruit intake and increase greens and fat intake.

There are a couple of raw foodists and vegans who specifically work out hard and post impressive numbers just to disprove the notion that they are all skinny dudes who get sand kicked in their face. I think as long as they get a wide variety of plant matter (fruit only will be very difficult IMO) they can be as strong/jacked as any natural lifter.

Yeah, you need to moderate the fruit intake with high fiber greens and some fats (nuts and seeds at the least).

Otherwise you get percolating bowel symptoms. When I was working full time as a personal trainer, I would see a lot of nutjob yuppie ecowhacks go on all sorts of strange diets. Luckily, I aimed for smarter clients. This is a pic of something that happened to one of my coworkers's clients- vegetarian, "save the planet!" type:

[Image: shart.jpg]

PS He finished poorly in the race.
The lesson? Cook your food. Cooking has been around so long that we have evolved some adaptations to it. And we are omnivores too...not herbivores. You don't need to eat charred steaks all day...but raw peas and cranberries alone lead to bad results.