rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Benefits US citizenship

Benefits US citizenship

I am a EU citizen, are there any benefits of getting a US passport for me?

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-20-2010 08:36 AM)Badstuber Wrote:  

I am a EU citizen, are there any benefits of getting a US passport for me?

I'd ask you the same question in reverse.... [Image: smile.gif]

Benefits US citizenship

I'd say: Yes!
With a EU passport you can basically live in all Countries in Europe and travel to many places without a Visa.

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-20-2010 09:56 AM)Badstuber Wrote:  

With a EU passport you can basically live in all Countries in Europe and travel to many places without a Visa.

Great - aside form getting married, what country (of the 27 members) would you feel is the easiest one to apply as a "skilled high tech worker/permanent resident" for residency in the European Union as a US Citizen? i.e would it be easier to apply in Finland Vs Sweden or UK?

Id love to have dual nationality.....but getting married seems to be the easiest "no-fuss" way of getting residency in EU as a US citizen.

What's your take?

US passport:

I think the hassle of getting a US passport may not have a huge advantage for you unless you want to live in the United States permanently. You already enjoy visa free travel to Brazil and China, (we don't) and the comfort of 27 member countries with more candidate countries becoming part of the union on the way. Not to say that getting a VISA to travel to Brazil is difficult for us, but you don't have the hassle.

Ideally, if you can easily obtain both EU and USA passports - I'd say you would be golden!

I'd like to know if anyone on this board has both US and EU passports and get their take, and what they recommend.

Mixx

Benefits US citizenship

Quote:Quote:

Great - aside form getting married, what country (of the 27 members) would you feel is the easiest one to apply as a "skilled high tech worker/permanent resident" for residency in the European Union as a US Citizen? i.e would it be easier to apply in Finland Vs Sweden or UK?

Are you an American? If so, I'd guess the UK. But I think many European Countries handle the same procedures for highly skilled migrants.
For example, here's the site of the Netherlands' immigrant service:
http://www.ind.nl/EN/verblijfwijzer/

Id love to have dual nationality.....but getting married seems to be the easiest "no-fuss" way of getting residency in EU as a US citizen.

I agree, but if you've lived in most EU Countries for like 3 or 4 years you can become a citizen. But most of the times you'll lose your US residency... I know I will lose my EU residency if I choose to get a US one by naturalization, if I'd marry an American women, I would get to keep my EU passport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalizat..._countries
Belgium - 3 years. Most other Countries are 5 years.

I think the hassle of getting a US passport may not have a huge advantage for you unless you want to live in the United States permanently.

Yeah, I was planning on moving to the states, but I have to marry a women in order to get a Green Card and then citizenship after 3 or 5 years. I also hear that a US citizen has to pay US taxes wherever he lives?

You already enjoy visa free travel to Brazil and China

And even to the US and Canada.
We just have to fill out a form at the travel agent and we can stay in the US for 3 months maximum and 6 months in Canada.

Benefits US citizenship

You're right:

1. Yes, US Citizens pay IRS taxes no matter where in the world they live and earn income - any income you earn abroad is taxable as long as you remain a US citizen.

2. the only way to sustain dual nationality (for US passport holders too) is to marry a citizen of the country you wish to live, any other means of voluntarily applying for citizenship will result in loss of US citizenship too. If I obtain EU citizenship by means of migrant skilled worker, living in EU for 5 years or any other method that is not by marriage.

3. If you must marry an American woman for a US passport, allow me to recommend a Puerto Rican woman. Head down to Puerto Rico, score a sexy juicy ass latina, and sweet talk her into marriage - so long as you reciprocate the favor of a EU passport for her, she very well may go for it...not to mention you are banging a hottie latina wife with a US passport =)

4. Oh yeah, you can travel to CUBA with your EU passport, we can't (legally that is). Cuba has some incredibly beautiful latin women, trust me, I live in Miami - and they are beautiful as they are smart.

Mixx

Benefits US citizenship

For me, the biggest drawback was the taxes - the US would tax you on every penny you make anywhere in the world. That's why I gave up my green card and kept the EU passport. I still keep my brokerage account in my mom's name, because who knows if it was in mine, they may have gone after me for taxes, as a former permanent resident. My mom is a non-resident and owes no taxes in the US, not even on short-term capital gains - sweet.

Benefits US citizenship

1. Yes, US Citizens pay IRS taxes no matter where in the world they live and earn income - any income you earn abroad is taxable as long as you remain a US citizen.

A major con.

2. the only way to sustain dual nationality (for US passport holders too) is to marry a citizen of the country you wish to live, any other means of voluntarily applying for citizenship will result in loss of US citizenship too. If I obtain EU citizenship by means of migrant skilled worker, living in EU for 5 years or any other method that is not by marriage.

Yeah, sad, but true. But you can be a perm resident in the EU too, so maybe that's an option for you?

allow me to recommend a Puerto Rican woman. Head down to Puerto Rico, score a sexy juicy ass latina, and sweet talk her into marriage - so long as you reciprocate the favor of a EU passport for her, she very well may go for it...not to mention you are banging a hottie latina wife with a US passport =)

Nice man. I was in Miami last year and the girls there were really hot (aren't most of them Cuban?)
Puerto Ricans have US passports I assume, so I take it she can have EU nationality and I can have the nationality of the US.
Isn't it possible to marry with a prenuptial agreement? Just so she doesn't marry me for my financial status..

4. Oh yeah, you can travel to CUBA with your EU passport, we can't (legally that is). Cuba has some incredibly beautiful latin women, trust me, I live in Miami - and they are beautiful as they are smart.

What Country has more English speakers? Cuba or PR?

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-20-2010 03:06 PM)Badstuber Wrote:  

Nice man. I was in Miami last year and the girls there were really hot (aren't most of them Cuban?)

If you run into a Latin woman in Miami, chances are she is:

Cuban - 25% chance
Colombian- 20% chance
Venezulean - 20% chance
South American( Brazil, Argentina, Chile) 15% chance
Central American (Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica) - 10% chance
Carribean (Dominican or Puerto Rican) - 10% chance

Puerto Ricans have US passports I assume, so I take it she can have EU nationality and I can have the nationality of the US.

Yes, Puerto Ricans are born US Citizens - with US passports.

Isn't it possible to marry with a prenuptial agreement? Just so she doesn't marry me for my financial status..

Definitely! I strongly recommend you have a prenup before walking down the aisle!

What Country has more English speakers? Cuba or PR?

PR - hands down for more English speakers - BUT you will find more women ready to bang you in Cuba in a heartbeat - 10x more than PR.

Mixx

Benefits US citizenship

Ah! Thanks!

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-20-2010 01:22 PM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

But if your tax home is in a foreign country, you are qualified for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which basically means that you do not have to pay tax from the first 90K you earned - good enough for most of us. Note also that Social Security payments are not U.S. taxable income.

2. the only way to sustain dual nationality (for US passport holders too) is to marry a citizen of the country you wish to live, any other means of voluntarily applying for citizenship will result in loss of US citizenship too.

Not necessary. This is only true if the country requires you to renounce your U.S. citizenship in writing by signing the certified statement that you are obtaining the foreign citizenship voluntarily with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship (Russia does that). If the country did not require you to sign such statement, or if it does not state that you do it with intention to relinquishing your U.S. citizenship, you will not lose it. Merely subscribing a declaration of allegiance to a foreign state is not enough. See here.

If I obtain EU citizenship by means of migrant skilled worker, living in EU for 5 years or any other method that is not by marriage.

Note that in most cases you also need to learn the country language, and be able to pass the language test.

You cannot legally travel to Cuba even if you also have a non-US passport - as long as you have U.S. passport or green card you are not allowed to do so. However my impression is that nobody really gives a shit about it, and if one feels fine lying to CBP officer about the countries visited, they can do it easily.

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-20-2010 01:22 PM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

Not true.

a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw..._1753.html

Benefits US citizenship

[quote] (07-21-2010 01:24 PM)exe Wrote:  

[quote='MiXXmaster27' pid='23781' dateline='1279650122']

2. the only way to sustain dual nationality (for US passport holders too) is to marry a citizen of the country you wish to live, any other means of voluntarily applying for citizenship will result in loss of US citizenship too. If I obtain EU citizenship by means of migrant skilled worker, living in EU for 5 years or any other method that is not by marriage.[/quote]

[quote] (07-21-2010 01:24 PM)exe Wrote:  

Not true.[/quote]

That's the information I read at the USCIS.gov website.... Can you provide us with a link to an official page that negates that?

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-21-2010 02:04 PM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

That's the information I read at the USCIS.gov website.... Can you provide us with a link to an official page that negates that?

Don't read USCIS, it is for immigrants like me, who are not US citizens yet, and most of its content will likely to be irrelevant for you until you try to bring a foreign wife to US. Your site is Department of State, http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/...p_778.html

Basically there are three types of countries I know:

1. One which do not require you to renounce any existing citizenship as a condition to obtain new citizenship. Example: Russia used to be like that before 2005. You're not losing US citizenship this way.

2. One which requires you to renounce any existing citizenship, but does not require you to do so in a way which could be used to notify your embassy (like a notarized statement declaring that you acquired new citizenship voluntarily and with intention to renounce your other citizenship(s)). Example: USA. You're not losing US citizenship this way because the DoS administrative standard of evidence is not satisfied. I believe most EU countries fit into this category as well.

3. One which requires you to renounce any existing citizenship in writing, by signing a notarized statement (declaring that you acquired new citizenship voluntarily and with intention to renounce your other citizenship(s)) and sending it to your embassy. Example: Russia after 2005. You may lose your US citizenship this way. I am saying "may" because legally the DoS should renounce it, but typically consular personnel has multiple ways to make such a paper void by imposing further requirements for this consular procedure (like providing some paperwork, completing a questionnaire, visiting the consulate or pay a fee), so it doesn't get through and results in nothing.

Consider the following: I am currently a citizen of a country which says that when I acquire another citizenship, I automatically lose the citizenship of this country. Last year I went to their consulate to replace my passport, and talked to a consul about it. Here is the transcript of our dialog between me and consular officer (CO):

Me - So when I get the US citizenship, I'm losing my current citizenship, is that?

CO - Yes, this is what the law says.

Me - I am sure Department of State does not notify you about it, and they do not require me to do so. Even your law does not require me to do so. So how exactly it works?

CO - Well, the way it works that if you want to renounce your current citizenship, you need to personally appear at our Embassy in Washington, D.C., fill out several forms, pay a $500 fee and wait. They will send the papers back to the Presidential Citizenship Commission to consider, which only meets twice a year. In a few years they will probably approve it, and once the President personally signs the paper, you're all free.

ME - So what happens if I do not want to fly to D.C or fill forms or too cheap to pay those five hundred - what's then?

CO - Then nobody gonna give shit about it, and you will have two citizenships.

ME - But there is the law which says I "lose" it automatically, how about that?

CO - C'mon dude, you lived in our country for 20+ years, you should have got used to the bunch of stupid laws nobody gives shit about.

Me - Got it, thank you.

Probably it will be the same with US citizenship as well.

Benefits US citizenship

Quote: (07-20-2010 10:52 AM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

Quote: (07-20-2010 09:56 AM)Badstuber Wrote:  

What's your take?

US passport:

I think the hassle of getting a US passport may not have a huge advantage for you unless you want to live in the United States permanently. You already enjoy visa free travel to Brazil and China, (we don't) and the comfort of 27 member countries with more candidate countries becoming part of the union on the way. Not to say that getting a VISA to travel to Brazil is difficult for us, but you don't have the hassle.

Ideally, if you can easily obtain both EU and USA passports - I'd say you would be golden!

I'd like to know if anyone on this board has both US and EU passports and get their take, and what they recommend.

Mixx

China PRC is a no go for american passports. In fact we have one of the most limited and expensive visas to china. Max 30 day duration of stay when applied for outside the country, with about 200 USD in processing fees. Ive never been rejected for one, but its a hassle. HK and Taiwan tho are green lit. HK is 90 days for an american passport. Taiwan is 30.

Benefits US citizenship

my US passport has come in handy many times abroad. especially in paris. tell em you're a new yorker (no fib here) and they go gaga. worth all the shitty taxes it costs.

Benefits US citizenship

With respect to foreign taxation - with the right accounting you can exempt more than the first 90k you make from US taxes. It depends on the source and type of the income. There are also ways to legally form foreign business corporations and have the profits patriate to them free of US taxes so long as you do not set foot on American soil in any given taxable year and the income is generated from non-US sources but you must consult tax counsel on that. If you make enough money you will also have to at least file a US tax return even if you do not pay any tax.

Also, if your home countries taxes are higher than US taxes you may not have to pay at all - there are treaties that prevent 'double-taxation.'

Also - being a citizen of two countries is generally not an automatic loss of one citizenship to the other as long as you are not subject to a general military draft or considered active duty reserve in the non-US country - except for Israel because that shitty little country gets exceptions from everything.

In general - a US passport is valuable for people from other first world countries but to the point of marrying someone to get it its not.