rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Steven Covey

Steven Covey

Love him or hate him? Specifically "7 habits of effective people"?

Steven Covey

Self-help books make me depressed for some reason, so I guess for me, Steven Covey is a pretty depressing guy.

Steven Covey

It's underwhelming. There are certainly a few useful tidbits sprinkled throughout, but it's also mind-numbingly redundant. This is true for a lot of self-help books, so I suggest finding one of the gems in the genre, sucking out the juice, and then chucking it.

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is a solid choice. He stresses the importance of sheer desire. In short, your success is largely a function of how much you want it. It doesn't matter if your motives are pure or not. A guy that lifts weights because he wants to have a healthier body and better serve his ailing grandmother that needs to be pushed around all day and a guy that lifts for pussy will both grow muscle. When you want it badly enough, all of the other things like organization, reliability, and whatnot usually fall into place. Once you internalize that, you can focus on execution.

Steven Covey

Think and Grow Rich is THE self help book

Steven Covey

"Think and Grow Rich" is idiotic. Desire means little in the grand scheme. Kareem Abdul Jamar never much liked basketball, yet dominated. Bobby Fischer didn't like playing chess all that much. Ability and effort are what matter.

The best self-help book I've read is "How to get Rich" by Felix Dennis. He lays it out straight with no new age pseudo-spiritual bullshit: 100 hour work weeks and a strong appetite for risk and hustling.

Steven Covey

Quote: (07-20-2010 11:22 PM)kingkong Wrote:  

"Think and Grow Rich" is idiotic. Desire means little in the grand scheme. Kareem Abdul Jamar never much liked basketball, yet dominated. Bobby Fischer didn't like playing chess all that much. Ability and effort are what matter.

The best self-help book I've read is "How to get Rich" by Felix Dennis. He lays it out straight with no new age pseudo-spiritual bullshit: 100 hour work weeks and a strong appetite for risk and hustling.

You are right about the Felix Dennis book, thats easily the best self help/get rich book out there...

Steven Covey

[Image: felix1_dennis.jpg]
In this Inc. interview with Felix Dennis, FD points out the biggest issue with success and business is overcoming the fear of failure, coupled with the strong desire to becoming very rich.

This mindset is basically the same mindset that pickup involves-- getting over the fear of failure and utilizing your desire to land the hottest biyatches you can land to succeed.

So, first you get the money, then you get the pussy... or the other way around? If Dennis' experience and wisdom proves correct, the correct answer is getting both at the same time!

Steven Covey

7 habits of highly effective people strives to learn you virtue ethics, which is (whether Covey knows it or not) one of the most powerful tools for learning self control and becoming a 'good' human being.

Of course the book is semi-boring, but I'd say it is better than most stuff out there, and definitely built on a more healthy approach, than say, what Robbins preaches.

The power of Now of Eckhart Tolle is extremely insightful, and I have re-read him many times.

David Deida's 'The way of the superior man' is a good read as well.