rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do YOU choose/set/track your goals?

Tomorrow is the start of another year for me personally, and I want to set some goals to achieve in the next year.

I'm thinking of simple categories, as I don't want to get too complex with the system. I can plan and categorize like nobody's business, but I like to keep my options open, and some plans may change. Starting simply and letting things evolve seems to work better for me, and some of what I want to accomplish isn't really quantifiable with a number. Simple categories would be something like body, finances, education, sex, etc. For example, I want to get my bf% low enough to see my cum gutters, and take up a new sport, finish paying off my debts, improve my credit score, and buy a new car, read 100 books and learn conversational Spanish, and collect, say, 20 notches.

How do YOU decide on, make and track your goals?

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

Quote: (05-01-2013 05:27 PM)Fitzgerald Wrote:  

How do YOU decide on, make and track your goals?

Call me old-school, but honestly, I just use a piece of paper.

I usually make an overly elaborate document on MS Publisher to hang in assorted places in the my place so I have to see them every day. The "Think and Grow Rich" daily recitation/subconscious setting approach also sounds like a good approach, even though I have been too much of a slacker to do it myself.

I have a word document that sits on my desktop and stares at me every second that I'm not making progress on one of its items or keeping myself alive by eating/sleeping.

Started about 2 months ago, it's fantastic. I have a quite long list of items with this (_) symbol next to them, and once I have them all converted to (X) in a subsection then that entire subsection can be moved to the "goals completed" area.

Examples:
Visit every continent
Watch the IMDB Top 100
Read the major texts of every religion in the world
Become conversational and literate in 5 languages

I ascribe to the very old school method of every day having goals. Literally have set up goals on a day by day basis. Long-term success is inevitable if you make a small gain every day.

Ex: place # phone calls, send résumé/cold email to X person, open 1-2 girls, juice (insert vegetables), lift (write down reps + weight), rad for x minutes, practice Spanish for X minutes...

Much harder to veer off the path of success when you hold yourself accountable every day.

I have a white board on my wall to track calories/protein and weekly+daily goals.

Quote: (05-03-2013 10:27 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

I ascribe to the very old school method of every day having goals. Literally have set up goals on a day by day basis. Long-term success is inevitable if you make a small gain every day.

Ex: place # phone calls, send résumé/cold email to X person, open 1-2 girls, juice (insert vegetables), lift (write down reps + weight), rad for x minutes, practice Spanish for X minutes...

Much harder to veer off the path of success when you hold yourself accountable every day.

I like this approach, and it's how I'm choosing to go. Eben Pagan (DdA) had a productivity seminar, and in it, says that to create the things you want in life, you have to create the circumstances to bring them. If you want to get ripped, do the right exercises and eat the right food every day, if you want to bang chicks, make 10 approaches a day, etc. The big thing with this though, is that you actions have to have a specific outcome.

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

Yep any chump with no money can fantasize about lofty goals like a Ferrari and mansion, rather than hold themselves accountable for every action on a daily basis.

I have goals on a daily basis that I must hit or else the day was a big miss. Much harder to look in the mirror and say "I did my best".

Quote: (05-03-2013 11:31 AM)Fitzgerald
dateline='1367598662' Wrote:  

Quote: (05-03-2013 10:27 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

I like this approach, and it's how I'm choosing to go. Eben Pagan (DdA) had a productivity seminar, and in it, says that to create the things you want in life, you have to create the circumstances to bring them. If you want to get ripped, do the right exercises and eat the right food every day, if you want to bang chicks, make 10 approaches a day, etc. The big thing with this though, is that you actions have to have a specific outcome.

I set daily and weekly goals. I'll even assign myself tasks in Outlook.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

A bit of a long post here.

Attached is a template i use every year to track my goals. There are instructions attached in the slides to fill but would be happy to clarify any questions.

In slide 1, i list 2-3 initiatives and the main goal to achieve for the year. Note that the initiative must help you to achieve that main goal.

In the next slide 3, I map out the tasks (for the above initiatives) to do as priorities (1s-most imp. to do, 2s-maybe need to go, 3s-skip unless necessary).

In slide 4, i do a quarterly review of the initiatives and the end-goals for that initiative. Going on track means a Ok, going ahead is a + and going back is a -. That way, I keep progress on whats happening and how to redirect myself if needed.

Have attached a powerpoint template that i use. I keep this on my old blackberry and look at it every morning for 10 minutes to check how I am progressing on it.

Disclaimer: This method is from kaihan krippendorf (outlined here) and I just modified some of his teachings to suit mine.

I have a 4-tier system using Evernote.

1) Top-level note holds a list of my values, purpose and list of lifetime goals.

2) This is used to help create quarterly/yearly goals for my Quarterly review note. In this note I review what went well in the previous quarter, what didn't go well + how to improve, if I achieved the previous quarter's goals and what next quarter goals are.

There are also a number of strategic questions I ask myself such as: what am I not doing That I fear? If today was my last day on Earth, would I still do this? And then an 80/20 analysis of my life.

3) Monthly goals are next, which come from Quarterly goals and in this note I also track monthly productivity.

4) Time log. Everyday I set a timer when I start working and stop the timer when I take a break. If I ended up procrastinating slightly I'll note down how much time I actually spent working vs procrastinating. Here I also set daily or more regular goals.

I also keep my monthly goals on a whiteboard in my room so if I'm ever lost on what to do, I just at it for the 3-4 things I want to achieve that month.