rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Russian language: no more bullshit

I've been tackling this language in a half-assed way. I did all three units of Pimsleur and a couple hundred notecards. Then I got a notch using Russian (I'm still not sure how I pulled that off). After that? I slacked off. I only became proficient in tourist Russian. My Russian was actually just as good as when I arrived in Ukraine than when I left.

I took three detours since then: about 100 hours with Polish, 15 hours with French, and 20 hours refreshing my Spanish. But now, one year after Ukraine, it's clear to me: the language of my future is Russian. For feminine women and for adventure, for a man who wants to be challenged to the point of failure and who wants to earn his salt, this is the mountain to climb. I have delayed and procrastinated, I have rationalized and doubted, but now I am certain: I will become proficient in this language. It must be done.

[Image: 1HqUu0z.gif]

Absolutely. I'll see you in mother Russia my friend.

Good luck man, I'm right there with you. About 2 weeks away from finishing a semester course at a community college and coupling it with Pimsleur. You haven't even been to Russia yet if I'm not mistaken. When you first start traveling, you realize how great foreign girls are than American girls. Then you go to Russia and Ukraine, and then realize what "cream of the crop" really means.

Ask most American or European girls what they think of Russian girls. Inevitably they will say they are whores, skanks, bitches, etc. Why? Jealousy. They simply can't compete.

My best way of finding conversation partners online: Go on sharedtalk-->Bounce them to skype and vk. After you get 20-30 friends on both, pretty much someone will always be online when you sign on, no matter the time of day, and they all want to talk because you found them on sharedtalk.

Quote: (04-14-2013 06:51 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I've been tackling this language in a half-assed way. I did all three units of Pimsleur and a couple hundred notecards. Then I got a notch using Russian (I'm still not sure how I pulled that off). After that? I slacked off. I only became proficient in tourist Russian. My Russian was actually just as good as when I arrived in Ukraine than when I left.

I took three detours since then: about 100 hours with Polish, 15 hours with French, and 20 hours refreshing my Spanish. But now, one year after Ukraine, it's clear to me: the language of my future is Russian. For feminine women and for adventure, for a man who wants to be challenged to the point of failure and who wants to earn his salt, this is the mountain to climb. I have delayed and procrastinated, I have rationalized and doubted, but now I am certain: I will become proficient in this language. It must be done.

[Image: 1HqUu0z.gif]

Awesome Roosh, this is sweet music to my ears! Russian is one of the hardest European Languages to learn for an English speaker and even if you master it there's always the accent issue that one has to work on. I hope you hit a 2nd tier city in Russia soon, I really wanna hear your trip reports and data sheets. Cheers.

for anyone who wants to learn russian fast.

please give this site a chance. its worth the money. trust me!

www.russianaccelerator.com

http://www.russianaccelerator.com/why-it-works

the guy who runs the site has an amazing system that's fun and creative. Give it a try fellas. check out his introductory videos.

also. what helps me is looking at my favorite american films dubbed and tv shows from the 90's in russian. it helps certain words stick in your head.

i'm just wondering if learning Ukraine language is worth the effort.

molodets muzhik. konchai huin'yoj stradat'. gryzi granit, zubri Ruskii.

Удачи тебе, Руш, мне кажется ты успеешь!

When you know, you know.

[Image: 633917184253782515theco.jpg]

Those girls are crazy there. Case in point. I do enjoy their language though, I find that accent sexy. Too bad that hot brunette has that gap tooth, otherwise she's damn near amazing:

http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/langu...course-51/

I learned a lot of Russian within a short time with this free Russian language course by Princeton professor. These were actual study materials given to Princeton students over 3 semesters. Download it and look it over. It’s very comprehensive, well-taught, and uses humor to make it engaging. A large number of the conversations involve dating, so you don’t start off with useless vocabulary for the first few months like with other programs. I just read the bilingual texts, look over the notes, and put the audio on my mp3 player and listen during my free time.

I'm a beginner, but Russians are impressed by how much I can understand and speak with them. I’m confident you can reach proficiency after finishing this course.

Good luck, one quick question though: were you studying French for your week in Montreal or can we expect a Bang France or Bang Senegal anytime soon?

The link doesn't work. Would love to learn Spanish first though. Its more relevant since that's what a lot of people speak around here. I'm awful at languages though.

I'm right there too.

I've used Pimsleur for years with other languages but I'm starting to think that its not the best use of time for learning Russian, at least past a basic level.

Pimsleur I for Russian was fun and I felt motivated to keep going. Now I'm on lesson 22 with Russian II and it just feels like a chore. The vocab is slow and the sentences so repetitive and dry that it's hard to even focus. My brother in law is Russian and says the speaker sounds Georgian so my pronunciation becomes exaggerated with a weird accent. He also said that the sentence structure taught is flat out wrong or at a minimum not optimal for sounding smooth or natural in many cases.

After 52 lessons of only learning the formal вы with almost no lessons on informal, I'm thinking about putting the same time into working with a tutor to start learning real practical street Russian. Shit I can use without wondering if I sound like a textbook when I speak. I dont really want to do it over skype. My brother in law would be ideal to learn from but he doesnt have time. I'm thinking the best option is local immersion by finding a Russian Orthodox church and start expanding a social circle.

Wondering from guys that speak near fluent, what worked best for you outside of total immersion? How much do you actually use вы as opposed to ты in social settings? Outside of knowing how to speak formally in restaurants and to the general public, when you meet a girl in Ukraine or Russia, how much formal language do you actually use?

Roosh did you feel that Russian III gave you enough practical knowledge to be worth your time or would you raher have spent the hours learning another way?

Quote: (04-14-2013 10:08 PM)kbell Wrote:  

The link doesn't work. Would love to learn Spanish first though. Its more relevant since that's what a lot of people speak around here. I'm awful at languages though.

Dang, I have all the files already on my computer. I’ll try to upload the 2nd semester’s files since that’s probably where a lot of guys will want to start off, and I think Roosh’s skill level is already around this level. You guys may want to search around for “Princeton Russian Course” to see if some other site has a link.

For IV Element, this course largely uses the informal ты, which is better because that is what we’ll be using 99% of the time.

Here is a sample from Lesson 7 of 117:
[Image: image.jpg]

This link should work, only for the 2nd Semester, but it's really the only one you'll need. The third is just studying poetry I think.

Princeton Russian Language Course:
http://depositfiles.com/files/7lwe6i6s6

Calling Presidentcarter to join the Thread.... On a random note My 26 year Old Spanish Teacher from Barcelona is taking Russian Classes at the University ...., May be Russian is Next .....

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Quote: (04-15-2013 08:09 AM)Lothario Wrote:  

Calling Presidentcarter to join the Thread.... On a random note My 26 year Old Spanish Teacher from Barcelona is taking Russian Classes at the University ...., May be Russian is Next .....

I've been doing it half assed as well. Time to tackle it with conviction. Let's keep each other motivated here.

It's crazy...lately when I've been going out I've been meeting Russians...like the girl from Ekaterinburg last Saturday...and it's like the universe is trying to tell me something because there aren't exactly a ton of Russians in Atl.

Very valuable resourse: http://www.russian.ucla.edu/beginnersrus...t/home.htm

Books I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Russian-...rs+russian

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Penguin-Ru...rs+russian

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

отлично! I'm very lucky in that I took Russian in college for two years. Thank god I loved Anna Kournikova when I was 18. I've forgotten a bit but have been studying and it's all coming back. I think it's a fun language and of course the devushki are the reason to learn.

Quote: (04-15-2013 09:50 AM)Hyperion Wrote:  

отлично! I'm very lucky in that I took Russian in college for two years. Thank god I loved Anna Kournikova when I was 18. I've forgotten a bit but have been studying and it's all coming back. I think it's a fun language and of course the devushki are the reason to learn.

Molodoi, chelovek, pereotcenite tcennosti. Blyadi kak motivatciya izuchenie yazyka eto poshlo. .. kak naschyot literaturi??

Seems there are a few of us wanting to get serious with this.

To those that are not native but have gotten good, mind sharing some tips and experiences in nailing it. How many hours a day you studied, how you nailed the case system ( does it eventually just click? ) etc.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that I can't self motivate very well, I need a teacher and the possible humiliation of being the worst in the class to encourage me to nail it. Therefore will be enrolling this Autumn in a course in the FSU.

Maybe we could have a Russian language thread with a new word and grammar point a day for us to communally learn?

Quote: (04-14-2013 09:41 PM)slubu Wrote:  

Those girls are crazy there. Case in point. I do enjoy their language though, I find that accent sexy. Too bad that hot brunette has that gap tooth, otherwise she's damn near amazing:

Elena Temnikova, check out this video of her younger days, impossible to have predicted she would develop into such an attractive woman.

Quote: (04-15-2013 10:44 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Quote: (04-14-2013 09:41 PM)slubu Wrote:  

Elena Temnikova, check out this video of her younger days, impossible to have predicted she would develop into such an attractive woman.

Ya, that video above is by the pop group Serebro. 2/10, WNB and all that.

[Image: 4fbf6cb1ec0f8_p.jpg?1353387285]

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Anyone who's in Ukraine, specifically in Odessa (or wants to visit), hit me up.

I'm here for the next 2 months.