rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Skydivers

Skydivers

Any serious skydivers here?

I'm doing my first jump in 2 weeks. I'm not particularly apprehensive about it, but I have a few questions.

There are two options for my first jump

Tandem: no explaination needed 12,500ft with the mountains framing the background as I drop for about 40 seconds. Pretty sweet.

Solo first jump: You get a 5 hour intensive pre-training that allows you to jump on your own and freefall at 4000ft and YOU pull the cord. I think its only for about 5 seconds. There will be a pro falling with you and radio in your ear giving instructions.

Now: There is a progressive freefall program that is 5 levels. You can only take this course if you have taken the Solo first jump. Taking these levels allows me to be nationally certified and jump on my own all the time.

All in the total cost is about $1500 after which its only $35 each ride up for future jumps. Plus gear. $65 to rent of about $2000 to buy all gear.

Anyone certified? Any comments or thoughts?

Is it worth it?

I don't want to waste money on the tandem and them have to take the solo first jump to start the profgressive free fall. That's an extra cost of course, I don't know if I'll like it until I try it.

Skydivers

I got my A licience. One of the best things ever is chucking your self out of a plane with a parachute you packed yourself and doing whatever you want for 15000 ft.

Go solo man. Expensive but you will love it.

Skydivers

Quote: (04-11-2013 11:38 PM)Irishman Wrote:  

I got my A licience. One of the best things ever is chucking your self out of a plane with a parachute you packed yourself and doing whatever you want for 15000 ft.

Go solo man. Expensive but you will love it.

Irishman, you want to come. It's just outside of Red Deer.

Skydivers

Im keeping expenses low till spring break up is over or I would. Ill do it again in the summer.

Always wanted to get into basejumping later in life.

Skydivers

If you plan on making it a hobby, go the solo route. If it's something you just wanna try out, do the tandem jump and see how you like it.

Usually, once you get your first jump under your belt, you'll want to do more and more, but I have seen people who did one jump and then decided it wasn't for them.

Skydivers

I was stationed with a guy that went through the process of doing his first jump solo. He exited, then looked up and saw how fast the plane was "going higher in the sky". It took his brain a couple seconds to realize it was him barreling towards the ground. He shit himself, pulled the cord, and never jumped again.

Skydivers

Quote: (04-12-2013 08:35 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I was stationed with a guy that went through the process of doing his first jump solo. He exited, then looked up and saw how fast the plane was "going higher in the sky". It took his brain a couple seconds to realize it was him barreling towards the ground. He shit himself, pulled the cord, and never jumped again.

Not for everyone, I see.

Skydivers

It's not for me either. Never had a desire to jump out of a functioning airplane.

Skydivers

I've got about 600 skydives and 300 BASE jumps. Whatever your intentions are, I would recommend a tandem for your first jump. That'll get the "holy shit" factor of your first jump out of the way, all you have to do is process the crazy new information coming into your brain while the instructor does his thing.

Some people solo their first jump and cank it (there are performance measures you have to accomplish to progress) due to the unfamiliar situation they're in and have to pay for a repeat jump anyway.

Which DZ (dropzone) are you going to take AFF at? You could also look at static-line options which are way cheaper but not as sexy as going up to 13K at the beginning. But hey you still get the same license in the end.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck! Skydiving is great.

"Okay (and I'm laughing now, because this is so funny), so we're A) not supposed to give you flowers, B) pay you compliments, or C) look at you. Anything else? Because I'm struggling to figure out the reason why after hearing that, I'm feeling like I'd rather get fucked in the ass by a Cape Buffalo than ever have to sit through dinner with you. Maybe you can figure it out for me. When you do, let me know. I'll be at Natasha's house."

Skydivers

Quote: (04-12-2013 09:56 AM)deuce Wrote:  

I've got about 600 skydives and 300 BASE jumps. Whatever your intentions are, I would recommend a tandem for your first jump. That'll get the "holy shit" factor of your first jump out of the way, all you have to do is process the crazy new information coming into your brain while the instructor does his thing.

Some people solo their first jump and cank it (there are performance measures you have to accomplish to progress) due to the unfamiliar situation they're in and have to pay for a repeat jump anyway.

Which DZ (dropzone) are you going to take AFF at? You could also look at static-line options which are way cheaper but not as sexy as going up to 13K at the beginning. But hey you still get the same license in the end.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck! Skydiving is great.

This is the exact info i need. My point of the post was to save the extra $300 for the jump. But the question was, if i do the solo, will i bail when the time comes.

You answered. I'll do the tandem and make sure i actually enjoy it. I probably will.

Skydivers

Maybe it's not in U.S? I think you have to do tandem jump for 10 times and then you can do solo.

it's about $200 each tandem jump so you will be spending $2000 to fly solo. (it's a lot cheaper)
$1500 seems too much for one time experience even though you get a license.

Skydivers

I also have my A license with 86 solo jumps under my belt. I plan to be in triple digits by the end of May.

You already received some solid advice- DEFINITELY do tandem for your first jump. I did tandem twice before doing an AFF jump, and its a totally different ball game when you're making the decisions for yourself. You'll love it, though. Warning: It's as addictive as any substance you can inject.

Sebastian, I did AFF (assisted free fall) on my 3rd jump. An instructor jumps with you, but you are not harnessed. You pull your own cord and navigate yourself to earth. In order to get your license, you need 25 jumps in the US (provided you hit all the markers required). I didn't jump completely unassisted until my 8th free fall, which I felt completely comfortable doing. Your $1500 dollar estimation is probably generous. I think I spent nearly $3 G's before I got certified. I went through a very reputable place that literally wrote the book on licensed skydiving, so maybe it was high end.

BTW: If you're interested in getting certified, your first jump (even if its tandem) will count towards the 25 required, so ask about having it documented.

Nothing beats the feeling when you leap from that plane, dude. Soak it in and enjoy. PM me if you want more info.

Skydivers

I used to be into skydiving. I haven't gone in years though. I was just short of my A license, but ran out of money. It was amazing. I remember the first time I truly jumped solo (after completing AFF). I jumped head first out of the plane, did a bunch of flips, and was completely reckless. It wasn't the smartest thing to do, but damn it was incredible. Some day I'll get back into skydiving. Definitely do it.

Skydivers

Quote: (04-12-2013 04:56 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Maybe it's not in U.S? I think you have to do tandem jump for 10 times and then you can do solo.

it's about $200 each tandem jump so you will be spending $2000 to fly solo. (it's a lot cheaper)
$1500 seems too much for one time experience even though you get a license.

Its. $1500 total after all of your levels. Its about $275 a jump.

I'm going to do the tandem first. I'll update this after the jump. Maybe get a pic of the Rockies as I'm coming down.

Skydivers

When Fisto skydives, he doesn't need a parachute, the Earth rises to meet him.

Skydivers

Officially booked. Deposit put down.

April 28

Skydivers

Spent the day at my local DZ. Perfect day, not a cloud in the sky. Wind was becoming an issue later in the afternoon.

On my 4th jump, I was the first off the plane. After touching down, I watched as one of the other fun-jumpers mistakenly timed his landing or something (not sure WHAT happened), and he slammed into the ground with very little brakes. Knocked unconscious. Left in an ambulance. Still haven't heard an update. I was one of the first people to run over to him, still shaken up about it. First injury I've seen up close like that.

He slowed down enough that it wasn't fatal or anything... he was breathing. Just a shitty set of circumstances. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. Not trying to scare away any of you that haven't taken the leap yet - but its a bit of a reality check.

I'm going back tomorrow. Should get an update then on how bad it was then.

Skydivers

Did a tandem jump a couple of years back it was awesome! I wanted to get my license but never came up with the cash and kinda forgot about it. All the guys working at this skydive place were huge potheads and hit me and my buddy up for weed afterwards.

Skydivers

Quote: (04-27-2013 05:00 AM)w00t Wrote:  

Did a tandem jump a couple of years back it was awesome! I wanted to get my license but never came up with the cash and kinda forgot about it. All the guys working at this skydive place were huge potheads and hit me and my buddy up for weed afterwards.

In steady, if not quite fully focused, hands.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Skydivers

Mother fucker what a rush!

Count me in again!

Skydivers

Quote: (04-28-2013 04:49 PM)Zeus Wrote:  

Mother fucker what a rush!

Count me in again!

Awesome skydiving is great.

If you end up doing solo/getting certified let us know how it goes

Skydivers

Im signing up.

Start my AFF in 2 weeks.

The DZ is a fun place. I was my charming self and they immediately recruited me to join their never ending game. Which is getting a person to say a specific word. Fun stuff the get to know everyone.

The jump was pretty amazing. I had watched enough YouTube vids of jumps before hand to know exactly what to expect. I didn't expect the 200 km winds slamming me in the face. Crazy.

My tandem master was very cool. Let me steer and thr landing was 1ft away from bullseye, all in 50km winds. Baller.

I will be there basically every Sunday in the summer and probably weekdays. The sun doesn't go down until 11 up here so lots of time to get sunset jumps right beside the rockies.

I'll periodically update this as i get my AFF.

Skydivers

Quote: (04-29-2013 02:18 PM)Zeus Wrote:  

Im signing up.

Start my AFF in 2 weeks.

The DZ is a fun place. I was my charming self and they immediately recruited me to join their never ending game. Which is getting a person to say a specific word. Fun stuff the get to know everyone.

The jump was pretty amazing. I had watched enough YouTube vids of jumps before hand to know exactly what to expect. I didn't expect the 200 km winds slamming me in the face. Crazy.

My tandem master was very cool. Let me steer and thr landing was 1ft away from bullseye, all in 50km winds. Baller.

I will be there basically every Sunday in the summer and probably weekdays. The sun doesn't go down until 11 up here so lots of time to get sunset jumps right beside the rockies.

I'll periodically update this as i get my AFF.

Congrats man! Which DZ did you end up going to?

The best way to do it is to go all-in, bro. Don't go home immediately after last load, stay around and drink beer; this is how you'll meet more of your future lifelong friends and learn more about the sport as well.

You've started the beginning of a great journey, my friend.

"Okay (and I'm laughing now, because this is so funny), so we're A) not supposed to give you flowers, B) pay you compliments, or C) look at you. Anything else? Because I'm struggling to figure out the reason why after hearing that, I'm feeling like I'd rather get fucked in the ass by a Cape Buffalo than ever have to sit through dinner with you. Maybe you can figure it out for me. When you do, let me know. I'll be at Natasha's house."

Skydivers

Awesome stuff.

I've been twice, both tandem. Heights still scare the hell out of me and I don't know if I'd have the balls to do it solo, but definitely something I would recommend to everyone.

Who knows I'll probably man up one day and do it solo

Skydivers

Quote: (04-29-2013 02:56 PM)deuce Wrote:  

Congrats man! Which DZ did you end up going to?

The best way to do it is to go all-in, bro. Don't go home immediately after last load, stay around and drink beer; this is how you'll meet more of your future lifelong friends and learn more about the sport as well.

You've started the beginning of a great journey, my friend.

I went with the closer one near just north of Calgary. It seems like the top DZ in Alberta right now.

I plan on getting my full 10 jumps i need fairly quickly. Barring any rediculous expenses.

Quote: (04-30-2013 09:13 PM)big poppa Wrote:  

Awesome stuff.

I've been twice, both tandem. Heights still scare the hell out of me and I don't know if I'd have the balls to do it solo, but definitely something I would recommend to everyone.

Who knows I'll probably man up one day and do it solo

It's definitely not for everyone. Aliblahba mentioned about a friend that saw the plane rushing away and freaked. I made sure to look for that, saw it and thought fucking rad.