rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need help with knees

Need help with knees

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to improve my squats. I've plateaued, but I notice that most of the pressure is on my knees. I think those are holding me back.

Before, anyone posts squat posture videos. I've watched those pretty intensely and I've been a real stickler for correct form. I don't think incorrect form is it.

Could you guys tell me how I could improve my knee strength?

Need help with knees

You can try doing some standing vertical jumps to improve your power when you come up. Start in a deep squat position and jump up as high as you can. Get your muscles firing faster to help you get out of the hole and not get stuck when you go down. Do sets of those.

Can also do the same thing by dropping down to a lighter weight (maybe 50% of your max) then going deep and coming up out of the hole as fast as you can. Try to get the bounce from your glutes out of the hole, then gradually put the weight back on and try to maintain a fast bounce.

Also remember to consciously push your knees outward when you start going heavy, your natural tendency is to bring your knees together but that will fuck them up and give you knee pain. And make sure you aren't extending your knees out too far forward. Keep your knees above your feet and the weight on your heels.

You can also try wearing some neoprene sleeves over your knees to keep them warm, or straight up wrapping them.

Of course, at the end of the day you're going to run up against your genetic wall at some point, and it might be that your knees just don't want to carry any more weight. How big are you, how long you been lifting and what are you squatting?

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Need help with knees

What do you mean by "noticing pressure"? Are you in pain? I used to think I was screwing up my knees with squats and had a lot of pain but discovered that I just needed to stretch my upper leg with a foam roller to fix the problem.

Need help with knees

Do your knees wander in at any point on the way down or up? I've had that problem in the past and I have to constantly watch it, especially as the weight goes up. Keep your knees pushed out.

Need help with knees

I don't know what program you're on but "knee strength" is none too specific. I would deload 10-15%, progress forward gently from there, and work on hamstring flexibility. Doing a few assistance exercises on the side would not hurt.
If inside of a month of gradually adding weight every two or three workouts you're 10 pounds higher than when you started, you just made gains and broke a plateau.

Need help with knees

Video your own form and then see whether your form is really as good as you think it is. Or post it up here for critiquing.