rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to survive "Office Worker" depression...

I'm not going to lie to you, I have been working in an office building for the last 7 years, and there have been days I have considered jumping off my building.

It has taken me YEARS until I have finally gotten my mind into a good place where I don't hate waking up in the morning. I still have some really bad days, but I think I have a good system in place now that makes it tolerable.

A) Workout: About 90% of office workers do not workout. They are fat, balding, and slowly dying a slow death. There is no excuse to not work out, you can go before work, at lunch (me), or after work.

B) Save your money: I thought for sure I was going to get laid off with the last recession in 2009, but I hustled myself to safety. I have saved money like a drug lord ever since. Layoffs happen all the time.

C) Don't buy real estate: Unless you are flipping it or renting int out. I witnessed SOO many people get wiped out with real estate. Why buy something when your income isn't guaranteed and bonuses fluctuate? Half of Northern Jersey got wiped out with the last recession. I pay cheap rent, and again, save money like a drug lord. I could also pack up my shit and work somewhere else in about 2 seconds.

D) Go out drinking: In a company of 3000 I have about 2 or 3 wingmen that actually go out. Most office workers have no life and go straight home to watch some bullshit on tv. I would die without thurs night happy hours, or going out to a Knicks game, Coney Island, etc.

E) Stay out of the suburbs: I can't tell you how many losers on wall st take 1-2 hour train rides to nowhere every day after work. Also bad weather kills your commute, and jobs keep relocating in the tri state area. I have worked in midtown, downtown, long island city, and jersey city in the last 5 years.

F) Travel like a boss: Although I only have 3 weeks of vacation, I can take any day I want and fly for cheap. Another reason why you shouldnt buy expensive real estate (prison), I like to travel as much as possible.

G) Don't take it serious: If you take the corporate culture serious you will give your self a heart attack. Be a team player, attend the bullshit meetings, etc. Smile and relax. You are getting paid to sit in a chair and type on a computer, life isn't that bad.

Overall, working in an office isn't that horrible if you get into the right frame of mind. If you do it right you can work out, fuck, travel, and get paid week after week. Probably the worst part is the "sheep" that you work with, but lead by example.

And most importantly, work on passive income. Interest, books, blogs, etc. Your job isn't guaranteed forever...

Power out!

D is hit or miss. I've met good friends through work but as a general rule I was happiest when I kept my social and work lives separate. That is one plus of USA corporate culture - much less emphasis on socializing with co-workers vs. Europe and Japan.

The timing on this post coincides with Roosh's blog post "why working for a corporation is so awful"

http://www.rooshv.com/why-is-working-for...n-so-awful

I agree with most of what you said. For those of us that do work for someone else and do not want to get depressed or kill ourselves the most important point to remember is G. Don't take it too seriously. If you work in an office you are probably not a ER Doctor saving lives. Push some paper, send some emails, send some faxes, create synergy, and stack cash. Work is not your life. It is a way to fund your life.

I actually got my first office job from drinking with one of the crazy Irish managers. I kept showing up for the Thursday happy hours with him, and when a spot opened up he got me in full time. (I was temping)

I worked in an office and loved it. Then one day my boss took my stapler for no good reason. I got very angry and torched that place to the ground.

@thecaptainnpower
when do you expect to retire from office work?

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

^^^ After the heart attack or roof dive.

For me in my 40's I was working in an office and worse in institutions.

A couple things I learned:

1) Watch out for drinking, in particular gaining weight from drinking.
That led to high blood pressure , meaning I had to take meds that were like downers....
a lot of negative stuff can follow from drinking.

2) Don't tell anyone anything about your personal life like gaming, or if you play the drums, etc. The arts means you're unreliable and a drug user to these idiots. Only discuss completely vanilla stuff.Whatever you say will get used against you when someone gets pissed at you. I like bicycling, so I pretended to be really shy and just played up that I like bicycling.

The place I had had these parties and everyone expected you to talk about your personal life. When pressed I just restricted it to bicycling and they were not too pleased but what can they do.

3) Never say any type of potentially loaded word. There was a black secretary working there and once firefighters were shot in a ghetto and I used the word "ghetto". She was offended when I discussed that they were shot in a ghetto although I said nothing about African Americans. If she hadn't liked me for my usual friendly demeanor she could have had me written up I'm sure.

I guess the best thing about current events is just to not discuss it. If someone brings it up, just shrug and say "What can you do?" as it expresses nothing and leaves no opening to complain about you.

4) The only friend you will usually have at work is the bank that cashes the paycheck. I knew one smart guy that said "The only thing I expect from these people is a paycheck."

Why should you have to survive this crap? If you're young with no responsibilities why do it? Unless there is a big pay-off in a reasonable time frame I see no reason for it. The energy and drive you have in your 20's isn't there for ever so take some risks and live a little.

Offices have stale air. Get outdoors and get sunlight. Eat 6-8 tablespoons of olive oil a day to keep your brain fueled. Eat grapes or fruit in the morning as well.

i left my corporate job about 8 months ago(big, with about 100k people corporation in every mean). I told everything I thought about this place at my exit interview. I told how not challenging the job was, how the workload was very low and there was way too many people doing the same job. I even told how I dont like the HR department and man it felt good to tell it to the face of the HR people. I did it because then I made sure I will never be hired back to this company ever again because you never know, these job ads when they look for people are really good and I might consider going back.
I enjoy so much more my current job in a company with about 30 people and where I can feel that there is actually point in what Im doing, things are improving and I feel challenges in waking up and going to work.

Quote: (04-06-2013 10:37 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I worked in an office and loved it. Then one day my boss took my stapler for no good reason. I got very angry and torched that place to the ground.
[Image: milton-office-space.jpg]© mindpollution

if you favor low self-responsibility, corporate jobs are a good compromise

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Right now I'm working an office job and I'm not going to lie, I hate it. I was about to quit today, but then I thought about the money.[Image: sleepy.gif]

But the money I get helps me invest in what I really like. Hopefully soon what I like will become my main job.

Working for yourself is no cake walk either....You are going to be working twice as many hours, but the sky is the limit on how much you can make. It also helps to have a "brand name" sometimes, especially in sales.

My cousin sells insurance for Blue Cross, he said he could branch out and go solo, but half the country is familiar with the blue cross brand name. The brand name sells itself.