rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Oil Sands: Becoming an MWD

Edited - read the main thread

Edited

Edited

Edited

Edited

Edited

Right so that is a timeline of all my oil sand posts since I joined

It is in order, minus a few posts which are unrelated to being an MWD

I just copied them straight out of the other tread Scotian started so probably a few typos etc.

Read this and 99.99% of your questions should be answered.

If it isn't answered post it on here...

Hope that helps...

Extra Bonus!

List of MWD companies that 'Pants' sent me in a PM

http://kyantonius.com/world-directional-...directory/

The rest is up to you...

Any Americans working up there?

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (04-03-2013 09:36 PM)renotime Wrote:  

Any Americans working up there?

I have worked with very few to be honest. Nearly all I have known were working on the rig floor. I know my company prefers to send guys down to america since they think the standard of worker is higher here and like to have the Canadian guys run the show down there when needs be. That being said if you are suitable and have the visa to work here I am sure you are in with a chance. It is always on a case to case basis.

Plenty of work in wyoming and north dakota too...

Its good to see your whole story Irishman you have had some hardship its great to see you writing that as-well. some good information there. i am glad you got sorted in the end dude. chat soon.

Nice to see everything together!

Waiting for my visa to Canada now,

Thanks guys. Its maybe a bit hard to read but should make sense. General lesson here (and with everyone else I have meet working here) is that if you come with the right attitude and game plan you will do very well.

I just landed interview back home, if they not hire me I'm moving over in not very many weeks.

Will still continue the research on canada.

Nice one man, thanks for putting everything in one thread.

Nice thread Irishman, interesting to read those old posts again and see how well you've progressed, you're one of the many Alberta success stories.

So is spring break up on now and are you laid off for awhile? How's the career progress going, still think you'll make it to driller within a few years?

How about some crazy rig pig stories, come on, I know you have some!

Hey Scotian man how are ya keeping?

Ya been on spring break up since mid March. I will be back to work sometime between mid-May and end of June. They don't know themselves yet when it will get busy again- all its down to the weather and demand.

I got a good cafe gig back in the meantime. Busy place with lots of girls.

Career wise I will try and focus on 'breaking out' over the summer. First I will have to start my own company and then they subtract me. Doesn't really change my job much just makes a difference on the tax/liability side of things.

Once I breakout should be on close to a 1000 a day. Plan is to use that money over the next few years to buy some property back home and open up a business or two. I was thinking of buying over here but would be hard to manage if I ever had to move to another drilling job elsewhere.

Don't know about becoming a directional driller yet. Its a lot of effort to move up to that level and they only get paid a bit more for a lot of extra responsibility. Could be worth it though and it's something I will look into in a year or two.

As for rig pig stories I only see what the top guys are up to nowadays. Most are having a few drinks on the sly in the evening, playing online poker between trips to the doghouse and still making around 1300-1500 a day. They have earned where they are at though since most started as lease-hands at 17-18 yrs old and worked their way up (takes around 6-10 years).

My craziest personal story so far is driving back to the rig one of the nights after a few drinks in town with the directional driller. He knew the way back and I didn't. About 20 minutes off the main road and into the woods he starts acting CRAZY and nearly crashes twice. At this stage he is not even talking and I have no idea where the fuck we are. He starts taking all these tiny back roads that I know are not right but he won't stop and he won't talk to me either. I have no idea why he is acting crazy since we only had a few drinks. Just keeps staring straight ahead and driving stupidly fast. Eventually I opened the door and think about just jumping out cause I am getting so pissed off. He eventually stops to take a piss so I jump in the drivers seat and lock the doors. I tell him to go around to the passenger side. In the end he gets in passenger side and falls asleep. I am about 150kms from anywhere, with no cell reception and no fucking idea where I'm at (none of the roads have any signs). I drive for about 4 hours but am still lost. The driller wakes up around 6am as if nothing has happened and can't remember what happened. We switch seats and he drives back to the rig. All in about a 8 hour drive back from the bar. Should have taken around an hour. Probably the most annoyed I have been since I came to Canada. First and last time I go drinking with him.

1000 a day, is that usd for 12 hour shifts?

Quote: (04-05-2013 11:52 AM)pants Wrote:  

1000 a day, is that usd for 12 hour shifts?

Around 12hrs. Canadian Dollars before tax.

That is good money!
[Image: smile.gif]

What is the tax rate? Is there much to be saved when you start a private company instead of being hired directly from the company? Are ther any additional expenses as medical care and accounting services?

One major benefits must be you can buy a lot of electronics before tax and vat. Maybe even book planetickets?

Awesome thread Sir...... appreciate your time, the information and the anecdotes shared. Wonderful contribution to the forum. Much appreciated.

Quote: (04-06-2013 07:59 PM)Mersault Wrote:  

Awesome thread Sir...... appreciate your time, the information and the anbecdotes shared. Wonderful contribution to the forum. Much appreciated.

Thanks. Glad to help.

Interview next week, need to bring my A-game!

If all goes well, prepare for an MWD-Norway-special in the upcoming months.

Quote: (04-19-2013 10:35 AM)pants Wrote:  

Interview next week, need to bring my A-game!

If all goes well, prepare for an MWD-Norway-special in the upcoming months.

Are there many jobs opportunities in the oil field in Norway?

Yeah, there are. I heard almost 30% working in Norwegian oil industry are expats.
But I've already been looking for a long time, its not easy to get in here. From what I've heard Canada is more easy. With experience though, it should be pretty easy to land a job onshore.