rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to make the most of the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

I separate from the Army in 18 months and I'm considering my options. Those months will go by quickly. I'm moving to a tactical unit in April, so it's possible I will see a deployment before I get out.

I've already served three years on active duty, so I'm eligible for the full Post 9/11 GI Bill. The things is I already have a BA in Economics that I earned what seems like a lifetime ago (graduated in 2002). I don't see myself going back for a second bachelors or an MBA (will be 35 yrs old when I get out).

Options:

1. Go to a trade school / apprenticeship.

2. Study a language at a foreign school.

3. ???

I have 10 years from the date of my separation to use the benefits.

Dude, do what you want. You've been to war so you know life is short. Find something that interests you, and that you can make some change doing it. I've been a soldier, a cop, a military contractor, and now I'm in EMT school. Why? Because it interested me. Now I'm looking into Physicians Assistant's school. It's a nice paying gig, and I'll only need 2 years of schooling. Fuck being a cubicle monkey tied to a job you hate. That's Hell.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Quote: (03-07-2013 06:14 AM)cool Wrote:  

I separate from the Army in 18 months and I'm considering my options. Those months will go by quickly. I'm moving to a tactical unit in April, so it's possible I will see a deployment before I get out.

I've already served three years on active duty, so I'm eligible for the full Post 9/11 GI Bill. The things is I already have a BA in Economics that I earned what seems like a lifetime ago (graduated in 2002). I don't see myself going back for a second bachelors or an MBA (will be 35 yrs old when I get out).

Options:

3. ???

One thing to take into account is where you'll study. Since you get E-5 BAH w/ dependents (more than I ever got in the service) as a living stipend, if you live some place expensive you'll get more money. I think in NYC it's near $3k a month. If you're willing to split a place with someone you can pocket a fair amount each month like I did.

Additionally, I looked into studying abroad and they will only give you the US average for BAH (around $1.2-1.3k I think), which depending on where you are can be great or barely sufficient. I'm sure you could do some damage in EE with that amount.

Quote: (03-07-2013 05:08 PM)Yarbles Wrote:  

Options:

3. ???

One thing to take into account is where you'll study. Since you get E-5 BAH w/ dependents (more than I ever got in the service) as a living stipend, if you live some place expensive you'll get more money. I think in NYC it's near $3k a month. If you're willing to split a place with someone you can pocket a fair amount each month like I did.

Additionally, I looked into studying abroad and they will only give you the US average for BAH (around $1.2-1.3k I think), which depending on where you are can be great or barely sufficient. I'm sure you could do some damage in EE with that amount.

My friend is learning how to fly. One of the Junior Colleges has a flying program and his GI Bill covers it since it's all done through the Junior College (in association with a business at the local airport)

THAT is what I would do.

Read My Old Blog - Subscribe To My Old Blog
Top Posts - Fake Rape? - Sex With A Tranny? - Rich MILF - What is a 9?

"Failure is just practice for success"

I don't see myself going back for a second bachelors or an MBA (will be 35 yrs old when I get out.

How old will you be if you dont get another bachelors degree or MBA?

NYC is an excellent choice for somebody with Post 9-11 GIB. As said before, you get nearly 3 g's a month, plus tuition.

What is wrong with getting an MBA?

Under normal circumstances, getting an MBA at a place like CUNY Baruch probably wouldn't be worth the investment, but you would be a returning combat veteran who literally gets paid to go to school, so your situation is very different than the norm.

Getting your MBA at Baruch (or NYU or Colombia) would give you the opportunity to work on professional/entrepreneurial development while constantly networking for two years in NYC, all without having to scramble for a paycheck while doing so.

It is a situation that a lot of people would dream to be able to have.

And to get some great travel in there, you could absolutely use it to do a semester or even a year abroad through your primary learning institution while working your Masters. CUNY has all sorts of programs like this, and I'm sure Columbia and NYU do as well.

If you are set on doing something other than getting your masters, there are many types of learning institutions in NYC.

Quote: (03-07-2013 08:22 PM)Nacirema Wrote:  

NYC is an excellent choice for somebody with Post 9-11 GIB. As said before, you get nearly 3 g's a month, plus tuition.

What is wrong with getting an MBA?

Under normal circumstances, getting an MBA at a place like CUNY Baruch probably wouldn't be worth the investment, but you would be a returning combat veteran who literally gets paid to go to school, so your situation is very different than the norm.

Getting your MBA at Baruch (or NYU or Colombia) would give you the opportunity to work on professional/entrepreneurial development while constantly networking for two years in NYC, all without having to scramble for a paycheck while doing so.

It is a situation that a lot of people would dream to be able to have.

And to get some great travel in there, you could absolutely use it to do a semester or even a year abroad through your primary learning institution while working your Masters. CUNY has all sorts of programs like this, and I'm sure Columbia and NYU do as well.

If you are set on doing something other than getting your masters, there are many types of learning institutions in NYC.

Thanks for the tips about NYC. I never considered living there before because of the cost of living, but now it seems like that wouldn't be an issue.

Actually, my sister graduated from NYU Law, but I never had much interest in the law. I have to think about a practical Masters degree.

You've still got a year and a half, stretch your GI Bill by knocking out some CLEP/DSST credits, really easy if you use instacert.com. Last year I gained 30 credits in 3 months, paid for w/ federal tuition assistance. If your deployment doesn't happen you have enough time to earn a BS from Thomas Edison State College entirely thru FTA leaving your GI Bill untouched for your Masters (not sure if it pays for a 2nd BS).

Details on the quick and easy degree:
http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/TESC_Degree_Plans

What language are you thinking of?

Quote: (03-08-2013 12:01 AM)hazara Wrote:  

You've still got a year and a half, stretch your GI Bill by knocking out some CLEP/DSST credits, really easy if you use instacert.com. Last year I gained 30 credits in 3 months, paid for w/ federal tuition assistance. If your deployment doesn't happen you have enough time to earn a BS from Thomas Edison State College entirely thru FTA leaving your GI Bill untouched for your Masters (not sure if it pays for a 2nd BS).

Details on the quick and easy degree:
http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/TESC_Degree_Plans

What language are you thinking of?

I know Spanish, but I still need to work on listening comprehension and speaking. However, I don't need to sit in a classroom to improve in those areas. For the most part, I taught myself Spanish.

I spent 18 months attempting to learn Arabic via the military and hated it. I don't have much interest in visiting the Middle East or N. Africa, which diminished my motivation to study it.

I think the only other languages that pique my interest are Russian and Portuguese.

What did you do in the military?

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Options:

3. ???

Are you interested in staying stateside or moving/working abroad?

Russian and Portuguese, you'll find a lot of downloadable media that you can teach yourself with here:
http://www.softsonline.org

*FTA ended yesterday but you can still do the CLEP/DSST free.

Quote: (03-09-2013 12:27 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Options:

3. ???

Moving / working abroad.

In the years between graduating from college and enlisting in the Army, I settled for mediocre income in mediocre surroundings. For example, Washington DC, Denver. I like to think that I have learned from that experience.

Quote: (03-09-2013 07:55 PM)cool Wrote:  

Options:

3. ???

Moving / working abroad.

In the years between graduating from college and enlisting in the Army, I settled for mediocre income in mediocre surroundings. For example, Washington DC, Denver. I like to think that I have learned from that experience.

Don't discount certifications. You may be able to knock those out before separating. Project Management may complement your background and degree. I didn't know that the GI Bill paid for overseas tuition. That is mint. Even if you pursue a masters, take it online and live somewhere cheap. Like you, I've spent too many years here in the states in shitty towns. I'm clawing to get out and get overseas....and not back to a warzone. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Options:

3. ???

@Cool - allow me to thank you for your service... thanks for stepping up. As you already have a biz related 4 yr degree - you might want to consider high demand certifications and a make it part of a follow up commercially high demand degree for future management track - the comp is in the $175 to $220 per hour range and up right now for certain high demand certifications feeding the boom in social networks and SaaS Clouds with a solid management track - Fed Gov is just starting to move to SaaS and Clouds as wells as many prime contractors and nearly all businesses. BYOD and Mobile insure demand will continue to explode.

PM me for details if you want.

OBTW If offshore school and language immersion are of interest you can not go wrong with:

Moscow: http://www.mgu-russian.com/ heart of Moscow and Russia

Novosibirsk: http://ciep.fija.nsu.ru/index.html/what-i...or-me.html

Pyatigorsk: http://www.pglu.ru/information/structure.../study.php

Professional Interpreter Translator and Business Manager courses available at all three.

Biz and long term trade is about to boom between USA and RU due to PNTR signed last year.

LOL I also had a guy in UA looking for a US Special Forces type combat veteran to run Action Adventure "boot camp" tourism for wealthy euro kids in Lvov - he had to be single because they also had a local marriage agency and wanted to get him married so he would plant roots stay and help build the biz long term! It is a big world with a lot of opportunities.

Quote: (03-10-2013 11:10 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (03-09-2013 07:55 PM)cool Wrote:  

Options:

3. ???

Moving / working abroad.

Don't discount certifications. You may be able to knock those out before separating. Project Management may complement your background and degree. I didn't know that the GI Bill paid for overseas tuition. That is mint. Even if you pursue a masters, take it online and live somewhere cheap. Like you, I've spent too many years here in the states in shitty towns. I'm clawing to get out and get overseas....and not back to a warzone. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I will look into certifications. Yeah, I also didn't realize the GI Bill covered overseas tuition until just a week or two ago. Once I get out I have very little desire to live in the US. In November, I took leave to the Philippines for a month and it was the best couple weeks I've had in the last 3 1/2 years.

Quote: (03-10-2013 12:50 PM)Deepdiver Wrote:  

Options:

3. ???

@Cool - allow me to thank you for your service... thanks for stepping up. As you already have a biz related 4 yr degree - you might want to consider high demand certifications and a make it part of a follow up commercially high demand degree for future management track - the comp is in the $175 to $220 per hour range and up right now for certain high demand certifications feeding the boom in social networks and SaaS Clouds with a solid management track - Fed Gov is just starting to move to SaaS and Clouds as wells as many prime contractors and nearly all businesses. BYOD and Mobile insure demand will continue to explode.

PM me for details if you want.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about SaaS Clouds, but I will do some research.

Quote: (03-10-2013 01:15 PM)Deepdiver Wrote:  

OBTW If offshore school and language immersion are of interest you can not go wrong with:

Moscow: http://www.mgu-russian.com/ heart of Moscow and Russia

Novosibirsk: http://ciep.fija.nsu.ru/index.html/what-i...or-me.html

Pyatigorsk: http://www.pglu.ru/information/structure.../study.php

Professional Interpreter Translator and Business Manager courses available at all three.

Biz and long term trade is about to boom between USA and RU due to PNTR signed last year.

LOL I also had a guy in UA looking for a US Special Forces type combat veteran to run Action Adventure "boot camp" tourism for wealthy euro kids in Lvov - he had to be single because they also had a local marriage agency and wanted to get him married so he would plant roots stay and help build the biz long term! It is a big world with a lot of opportunities.

This would be quite an experience. Like Spanish, I think Russian is a valuable language for a man to know.