rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New TSA Guidelines

New TSA Guidelines

A change is coming to the TSA’s restrictions on what you can bring onto a plane. Still no water bottles, but effective next month, they will allow certain kinds of knives.

The new rules will kick in April 25th. Knives can be up to 6 centimeters in length (2.36 inches) they can’t lock and can only be a half-inch wide.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/03...rd-planes/

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/arti...-on-planes

New TSA Guidelines

Huh. That surpises me.

I am seeking employment in Oslo, Norway. Any assistance is appreciated.

New TSA Guidelines

Quote: (03-06-2013 09:09 AM)Mr.Barbarian Wrote:  

Huh. That surpises me.

Here is the official document which indicates Lacrosse Sticks, Pool Sticks/Cues, Golf Clubs (limited to 2), Hockey Sticks and Ski Poles will also be allowed.

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/a...update.pdf

New TSA Guidelines

At least we can defend ourselves now.

New TSA Guidelines

Still no Zippos.

New TSA Guidelines

I wonder how much the pendulum will swing in this direction. The union seems to be opposed to this for safety reasons. The airlines charge for checked baggage so they may have an incentive to limit the range of carryon items.

I'm often surprised at some of the things that are checked in that might actually be useful onboard:

New TSA Guidelines

Quote:Quote:

Still no Zippos.

I had my first "problem" with my zippo recently. It was at Frankfurt airport in Germany. I fought it hard, and won.

I have traveled with this lighter for 10 years now. All over the world. And never did I have a problem. I always put it through "standing up" though.

In Frankfurt I forced the security to hear me out. When I seen a sympathetic face from one of them, I asked them what could be done to allow me to carry my "special" zippo through.

We eventually settled and agreed that as long as it did not light, I could take it through. So I just got rid of the cotton, let it "air out" and flicked it weak so it was sure not to light. They approved and through I went.

New TSA Guidelines

This is such a stupid policy that is likely going to endanger flight attendants and passengers alike. I fly a lot and sitting like cattle in coach usually doesn't help people feel so great about flying. Never know what psycho or pissed off guy could decide to do with a knife while on board. Of all the things they could allow passengers to bring on board they allow KNIVES? These are some incompetent MFs man...

New TSA Guidelines

Quote: (03-06-2013 06:39 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

This is such a stupid policy that is likely going to endanger flight attendants and passengers alike. I fly a lot and sitting like cattle in coach usually doesn't help people feel so great about flying. Never know what psycho or pissed off guy could decide to do with a knife while on board. Of all the things they could allow passengers to bring on board they allow KNIVES? These are some incompetent MFs man...

I bet you they hope something like that will happen so they can say, "See, we tried to relax security and give you more freedom, but that's dangerous! How do we protect you from this danger? More restrictions!"

New TSA Guidelines

Funny because thats the one thing those 9-11 guys needed to hijack the planes.

New TSA Guidelines

Quote: (03-06-2013 06:52 PM)germanico Wrote:  

And the one thing needed for the passengers to defend themselves.

You guys are missing the point. They CAN'T catch every blade, so their giving us the opportunity to fight back. And before all the Europeans start crying on this thread, no, we won't be allowed to bring them to your country.

New TSA Guidelines

We're talking about a 2.36 inch blade. Can't believe people see this as a security threat. You might as well just make everyone fly in a straitjacket if we need to remove risks of this insignificance. Still, I'd rather just be able to take liquids without thinking about special containers, size limits, etc. Current regs make it pretty much impossible to just take a short trip with a carry-on.

New TSA Guidelines

I don't get why you would need a knife while in flight. Just put that stuff in your checked luggage. I don't see how this policy helps anything. It's also far down on the list of the type of shit they need to allow again.

New TSA Guidelines

Yeah, let Zippos fly for God's Sakes.

International Playboys need some representation in Government.

We are the most persecuted group in America by far.

And the main stream media refuses to cover it.

New TSA Guidelines

This is so stupid! You can make a blade from parts of the airplane if you wanted to. There are knifes for sale made out of super hard plastic that work just as good as metal and can't be detected.
Have you seen Breaking Bad? You can make explosives from things you wouldn't even suspect!
It's as ridiculous as turning off all electronics on take off - even though all sensitive instruments are shielded on an airplane!

New TSA Guidelines

Quote: (03-06-2013 07:07 PM)Lemmo Wrote:  

We're talking about a 2.36 inch blade.

We can all name our blades "Houston's penis".

Quote: (03-06-2013 07:08 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I don't get why you would need a knife while in flight. Just put that stuff in your checked luggage. I don't see how this policy helps anything. It's also far down on the list of the type of shit they need to allow again.

I made it through 3 international airports, 1 in the ME, Dulles, and ATL, with 12" long #2 cross-tip screwdriver in my carry on. Obviously I didn't know it was in there, and didn't try to hide it. What does that say about current security? They failed inspections. If your worried about carrying a blade, don't carry one. Just stay out of the way (isle) of us that are willing to use ours to counteract a terrorist threat.

New TSA Guidelines

Quote: (03-06-2013 07:17 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (03-06-2013 07:07 PM)Lemmo Wrote:  

We're talking about a 2.36 inch blade.

We can all name our blades "Houston's penis".

I made it through 3 international airports, 1 in the ME, Dulles, and ATL, with 12" long #2 cross-tip screwdriver in my carry on. Obviously I didn't know it was in there, and didn't try to hide it. What does that say about current security? They failed inspections. If your worried about carrying a blade, don't carry one. Just stay out of the way (isle) of us that are willing to use ours to counteract a terrorist threat.

First of all, I'm not convinced that the average passenger on the plane is trained well enough to use a blade to subvert a terrorist. That's a pipe dream. Many of these weapon hoarders have never been in a flight ever in life. If anything, they likely got their asses kicked when they were young and have deep insecurities about it.

Second, it's hard to see how a terrorist these days would be able to pull off anything remotely similar to 9/11. I know I would happily take one down just using my bare hands if one of them started trippin. I know they ain't carrying a gun.

Also, on the flights I get on I rarely see a person that looks like they can scrap. Most of the men I see on planes are overweight or nonathletic white guys. Often times I am the only person of color and I'm bigger than those guys. I mean you can't always tell if someone can scrap just by eying them but I just don't get the sense these type of travelers are capable of defending me.

New TSA Guidelines

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-575733...-searches/

U.S. customs officials must have a reasonable justification before snatching your laptop at the border and scanning through all your files for incriminating data, a federal appeals court ruled today.

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Homeland Security's border agents must have "reasonable suspicion" before they can legally conduct a forensics examination of laptops, mobile phones, camera memory cards, and so on.

New TSA Guidelines

I remember losing some small scissors that were in my shaving kit at security. The agent told me that because one of the tips was pointed, it couldn't fly. Another time I lost a bottle of TendSkin lotion because it was in a 4 ounce bottle, instead of 3.4, and it was only a quarter full anyway. What really annoyed me was the inconsistency from airport to airport regarding what's allowed and what isn't. Kennedy let me through with the TendSkin, but Phoenix Sky Harbor took it. Shortly after I lost the scissors, they started allowing them. It doesn't make sense to start allowing knives onboard though - it doesn't matter how short the blade is. Now if that means I get to carry my Swiss Army knife in my carry-on, that's great (it's a nice one - it has all the standard blades/utensils AND a little flashlight too!), but remember, box cutters, which don't have a long blade, were able to do some damage.

When the post 9/11 security procedures first went into effect, journalists were putting all kinds of crazy shit in their carry-ons just to see if they could get things through. I'm talking obvious things like butcher knives. Some of it got through. I don't see it as smart to simply say fuck it, let them carry knives on. Humans are doing the screening, so there will be some error. Just the same, I don't think it's smart to allow cutting instruments. I actually have a plastic knife with a 3 1/2 handle and 3 1/4 inch blade. It's and inch wide at its widest point, flat on one side, but it's very sharp, pointed, and has a small serrated area on one side. I got it as a free gift when I ordered bbs or CO2 for an air gun I think. I could EASILY push it into or slice someone. I could tape it to my leg and probably get though security with it since they don't do pat-downs. Instead of doing this, they need to look harder at the fluids policy.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

New TSA Guidelines

Security in the US is security theater, to give the illusion of safety. We can bring knives (easy to get) but we are still limited on the liquids. Gee, what's easier, to buy a knife or to come up with a chemical explosive system? The whole thing is a giant waste of time. Similar to Timoteo, I've had toothpaste tubes go through security at National only to have them confiscated in Phoenix. How can that make any sense?

I've always been curious whether Israel's security procedures would be workable in a country like the US, even in principle.

New TSA Guidelines

I went through security to Romania on a taste-test trip, through Zurich. On my way back, they found a fork in my backpack. I had no idea it was there.

New TSA Guidelines

Quote: (03-09-2013 01:04 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Security in the US is security theater, to give the illusion of safety. We can bring knives (easy to get) but we are still limited on the liquids. Gee, what's easier, to buy a knife or to come up with a chemical explosive system? The whole thing is a giant waste of time. Similar to Timoteo, I've had toothpaste tubes go through security at National only to have them confiscated in Phoenix. How can that make any sense?

I've always been curious whether Israel's security procedures would be workable in a country like the US, even in principle.

When I thought about it, I surmised that with Arizona being a border state, their security measures may be more stringent than at other airports in the country. Just the same, other airports need to get their procedures more in line with Phoenix and other border states so we have a better idea of what's okay to fly and what isn't.

I've also wondered how the Israeli model would work here, and Mexico City's was pretty stringent also. Returning from Mexico in '09, I had to submit to about 4 security checks. I had to go through security to board my flight, then on landing in Mexico City, we deplaned on the tarmac and got bused to the main terminal, where we were checked again. Then again to get to the gates. Then again AT the gate they set up tables where our bags were checked again before walking through the jetway to the airplane, which has never happened to me before. I believe there were military types walking around the airport with automatic weapons too if I remember.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

New TSA Guidelines

Kind of a broken record but I don't think this has been mentioned yet.. 9-11 happened since the cockpit doors were opened and the plane was thus able to be hijacked.. Have them locked at all times after takeoff and the only threat to the safety of the entire plane is explosives.

But if you want to kill a large number of civilians including yourself, why bother blowing up a plane? Many other places you can do that (London/Madrid terrorist attacks come to mind).

So yes, TSA is largely make-work. With 100 times more government spending than early 1900, what do you expect? We will see more of these make-work government agencies in the near future, as people need stuff to do every day (no longer slaving away at the farm/factory/manual labor). Most countries are overpopulated with respect to what it takes to run them, and all these people need something to do...

New TSA Guidelines

Not true. The 9-11 hijackers used box cutters, which are the perfect concealable slashing weapons. Razors are far sharper than a typical knife blade.

Small pen-knives that do not lock are absolutely useless as a stabbing weapon (because they would snap close and injure the assailant) and are almost as useless as a slashing weapon.

New TSA Guidelines

The problem is that many savvy flyers try to avoid checking luggage. As a result, very handy items such as pen knives and bottles of shampoo are left at home. A non-locking pen knife is completely harmless. I could do far more damage with an ordinary Bic pen.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." Benjamin Franklin