rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Suit" game is not good for Manhattan...

I've noticed that a lot of guys on this forum like to rock "suit" game, but I don't recommend it for NYC.

Everytime I go out after work in a suit (which is probably once a year) 95% of the time I get the same questions. "where do you work?" And if you come back with a made up answer you are in trouble. If you work in finance (which is a small world) you are gng to be asked if you know so and so, and what department you are in.

I'm assuming its like that in DC or Toronto? I used to laugh when I would see guys wearing suit's on a saturday, it was obvious that they were posing, expecially if they had significant facial hair.

Anyone else have this problem? I always get interrogated wearing a suit.

Asking where you work is a female way of sizing you up ...salary wise. It means you look good and she's interested. I think you should be going out at least 2-3 nights a week. There's plenty of happy hours in NYC.

What is it exactly that you do?

Team Nachos

Ive always done better in Manhattan when I was dressed more casual. I was curious if suit game would work better in a non-financial city. I work in back office finance...

Quote: (03-02-2013 10:29 AM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

I've noticed that a lot of guys on this forum like to rock "suit" game, but I don't recommend it for NYC.

[Image: Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif]

Dude it's not the suit. It's your act that's the issue. Heck, you say it yourself.

You've gone and done it now. The G in 3...2....1.....

There's different kinds of suit game as well. Coming off of work you're probably rocking a nice business suit in a conservative fashion. This would probably prompt women to ask questions about where you work and what you drive.

On the weekends or in clubs you'd probably be wearing a suit or outfit that is more colorful and fun with a puffed out pocket square [Image: lol.gif]

I think G is the real authority here on this subject. Hopefully he can chime in for us [Image: thumb.gif]

Team Nachos

I'm waiting for G to move to Soho, I need a wingman.

Quote: (03-02-2013 10:51 AM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

There's different kinds of suit game as well. Coming off of work you're probably rocking a nice business suit in a conservative fashion. This would probably prompt women to ask questions about where you work and what you drive.

On the weekends or in clubs you'd probably be wearing a suit or outfit that is more colorful and fun with a puffed out pocket square [Image: lol.gif]

Exactly. 9-5 Suits vs. 9-5 Suits.

My guess is that venue selection probably a has pretty big impact as well. Showing up at a Hipster joint, Sports Bar or Dive will probably seem out of place and prompt more of those questions.

I did well with jeans/blazer up that way. A bit more casual, and worked well in Bayside and hotel bars. Guys hanging out in suits in the latter were getting off work from other hotels, and it showed a little DLV.

What is at the heart of suit game?

What is it that makes any fashion work?

Maybe there is something about the suit that isn't congruent with the vibe you are giving off.

Is it a custom tailored suit?

A little contribution: Never try 'suit game' in Barcelona if it is no day and most of the men don't know how to wear a decent suit (in Spain I would say).

Are you serious?

NYC is probably one of the best places to run suit game because it's congruous. I wore my suit to a suburban mall to buy a belt, I was getting weird looks and one confused old man even refused to believe I wasn't a store salesman (elderly opener...). High school-looking girls looked right past me, probably because they assumed I'm some older working stiff on a mission to buy something particular. Suits won't have much tread in your average suburban environment.

A couple days later I was walking through midtown Manhattan, I noticed I was getting strong eye contact from a handful of girls I was walking past--decent looking, 20something city girls.

Tell me something, does your suit say "stylish" or "I have to wear this for a living?" Look at the subtle, yet killer difference between

[Image: David+Beckham+David+Beckham+Leaves+Conna...xxYRhl.jpg]

and

[Image: cass-county-lees-summit-injury-lawyer1.jpg]

Even if you cover up both of their faces, the old guy looks awful compared to David Beckham. It's all in the fit and the style: the old guy's suit is too big for him in the shoulders, you can see how the padding hangs past his shoulder bone. His lapel is huge--it practically takes up half the space between his arm and the center. His sleeves are loose. The harsh red, blue, and navy blue don't seem to jive well. Everything about it says "this guy is some boring sap who goes to work in some boring job where he has to wear a suit."

The slim fit and modern style of Beckham's suit gives him the James Bond factor. I need not say more.

on the suit game issue, i suited up frequently throughout 2012 in toronto and so have come to certain conclusions about it. don't buy in to the hype. suits are just one line of style. they have their time and place. in some contexts they look great, in others they're unremarkable, and in many others they're straight up cornball. they're not the be all and end all of fashion, and in fact are about as context-specific as it gets.

roosh put suit game to the test last year. i agree with his points 1, 2, 4, 6 & 8. on the balance i think simple "fit body + tight v-neck" game edges out elaborate suit game. unfortunately building a fit body is bajillion times harder than just buying a suit and putting it on. ultimately you have to dress to your environment, and be the best or better than average within that.

I went out Thursday after work with some co-workers, and my approaches were getting shut down with work and industry questions.

Some of the best nights of my life in NYC was when I went out looking like a bum; sneakers, jeans, facial hair, etc. My suit is def more conservative, so that could be part of the problem. I just noticed that in NYC my success rate always dropped significantly in a suit...

So you're not controlling the interaction but succumbing to interrogation. As mentioned above, this is about your congruence not the clothes you wear.

I get treated differently in a suit by almost everyone. And when I say different I mean, better. More people speak to me. More eye contact from people. I just get more respect.

Going out to a happy hour right after work in a suit somewhere in the city in DC, where I live, is one of the best moves you can make. Meeting a chick on the weekend and then telling her to meet you for happy hour after work on a Tuesday while your suited up is my go to move now. It gives them two perspectives on you: the fun, lively party vibe and then the classy, intelligent, well dressed grown man vibe. It makes it a lot harder for a chick to forget you when she sees that your dynamic like that.

So I don't see how wearing a suit after work in the most popular city in the world is not working out for you. Maybe your vibe is not matching up with the image that the suit gives you. Maybe your just going to the wrong places in the suit. Like someone mentioned, going to some laid back sports bar won't have the same appreciation as going to a nice hotel bar or whatever bars they have near Wall Street or the upscale places of manhattan.

http://www.rooshv.com/how-to-tell-a-girl-what-you-do

My best results were achieved with a slim fit suit in a dive bar in the LES in NYC. I think you just need to get a more slim and more fun cut for your suit.

Suit game goes off, especially if you can back it up with a big travel history and language skills

I think it is very unfair to use Beckham as an example, he is a style icon and anything he wears generally looks good. Most dudes don't look half as good as him in a suit, there are suits and there are "suits".
I would imagine suit game works well in NYC, I would tend to say something else is missing.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Quote: (03-02-2013 10:29 AM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

Everytime I go out after work in a suit (which is probably once a year) 95% of the time I get the same questions. "where do you work?" And if you come back with a made up answer you are in trouble. If you work in finance (which is a small world) you are gng to be asked if you know so and so, and what department you are in.

Anyone else have this problem? I always get interrogated wearing a suit.

This is the key and it totally depends on your game as to how you turn it around. Sure, if you give stock answers you're not going anywhere and the convo would die down in no time.

There are a thousand ways you could turn this around in your favor based on the vibe of the situation. You could say things like "I'm a mobster or a secret agent or hustler or a Gmanifesto fan [Image: smile.gif] ". This usually turns the convo into another direction and diffuses the serious interview like vibe and immediately makes the situation intriguing and funny.

Game is a necessary evil

"Suiting up" does seem to have become a fetish in place of game lately.

I think it's probably just your mindset when your in a suit. If you feel like a nobody in a suit and almost embarrassed to have one on, then your vibe won't be right and you'll probably feel like the women asking you what you do are almost trying to make fun of you.

It's totally opposite for me. It may sound cliche but I almost do have a James Bond mindset when I'm suited up. I feel like I own the place. I feel like I have a million dollars in my pocket. Having a suit on just makes me feel important...dominant. I rarely if ever use this term but I'd dare say a well fitting suit makes me feel more...alpha.

That's how you should feel in a suit.

Quote: (03-02-2013 01:39 PM)theIVth Wrote:  

I think it's probably just your mindset when your in a suit. If you feel like a nobody in a suit and almost embarrassed to have one on, then your vibe won't be right and you'll probably feel like the women asking you what you do are almost trying to make fun of you.

It's totally opposite for me. It may sound cliche but I almost do have a James Bond mindset when I'm suited up. I feel like I own the place. I feel like I have a million dollars in my pocket. Having a suit on just makes me feel important...dominant. I rarely if ever use this term but I'd dare say a well fitting suit makes me feel more...alpha.

That's how you should feel in a suit.

Captain, you're just not congruent in a suit. When I followed your blog, it was all how to get fucking ripped and you come off as an average every day man's man, not a playboy suited up hustler like G Manifesto.

Wear what works best for you, but if you're in a suit and you can't handle the "what do you do?" questions, then you've gotta be crazy out of character in one.

Like this guy, what the fuck is he thinking?

http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets...rticle.jpg

Read My Old Blog - Subscribe To My Old Blog
Top Posts - Fake Rape? - Sex With A Tranny? - Rich MILF - What is a 9?

"Failure is just practice for success"

Quote: (03-02-2013 12:11 PM)theIVth Wrote:  

Meeting a chick on the weekend and then telling her to meet you for happy hour after work on a Tuesday while your suited up is my go to move now. It gives them two perspectives on you: the fun, lively party vibe and then the classy, intelligent, well dressed grown man vibe. It makes it a lot harder for a chick to forget you when she sees that your dynamic like that.

Weekends are for bar hopping, after parties and SNLs. I never heard of anyone getting laid after a happy hour. Nobody wants to be the office slut.

Happy hours piss me off lately. Most you'll get is a number. The girls usually sit at the bar and are surrounded by beta male cockblocking co-workers.

On the weekend I'd either invite a girl to meet up at another bar or a one on one drink date during the week. Sometime after 8. Gives you 2-3 hours to liquor her up, hit it and still get some sleep for work the next day [Image: thumb.gif]

Team Nachos

redacted