rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Joy of Going Deep vs Cutting Expenses

I make a pretty decent location-independent income flow every month. (knock on wood, let's hope it continues forever).

However, I noticed that my monthly expenses kept creeping up higher and higher as I added little (and big things) that I felt improved my lifestyle. It did, to the extent that I was now master of my own domain, and able to do things way beyond "bottle service in a club" or "nice dinner out in fancy restaurant." Way beyond.

In a way, this was a valuable experience because it let me go DEEP inside the society where I lived. I truly feel that while the paratrooper style of dropping far into unknown territory and hitting bars/clubs has its place in a guy's list of "must do experiences," you can't truly access top-level girls in a consistent and 'effortless' way until you become ESTABLISHED in that society. That means where you're known as someone who's there to stay; who has a cool, respected set-up; and is DEEP into the scene with all the social proof and aura that follows. Let's face it. A lot of girls aren't going to dig a guy living in a run-down short-term rental studio with a bed, laptop, and box of condoms as his only decorations (and yes, I've done that too).

But I started feeling the weight of these added expenses on my shoulders. I could still handle it, but I started to miss when I was more mobile and living below my means. So I've started to cut down the expenses and it feels great. The plan is to keep as much of the benefits of my "lifestyle infrastructure" as I can, but with minimal costs that go out every month. I'm on my way and I feel less stressed out already. I'm getting more and more disposable income freed up for travel and garnering "experiences" (which is far more valuable than getting "things"). On the other hand, I am balanced by having integrated and become a respected fixture of the society where I live...with all the contacts to go along with that.

i know exactly what you mean, i've done the same thing. they are completely different worlds but both have their own advantages. spending money is fun, having cash available and banking it is rewarding. its hard to find a balance. i try and spend the money and splurge on the things that are tangible (except travel) and cut on the things that are gone the next day (bottle service, expensive dinners, etc). i've also found that i've come to the point where i dont need anymore "stuff." i pick up a new piece of clothing here and there but other then that i've got pretty much everything i need.

Living like a millionaire without being one. That's really an art that can make life truly pleasurable.

One example of something that was well worth the investment (about $2k) was shipping my car from the US to Europe. Used some loopholes to avoid import taxes, got it road-ready & registered with insurance in all of the European Union, and I keep it on the continent for my personal use. The car is nothing special but it's hooked up with a GPS system and reliable. Now, I'm totally mobile, able to cruise the streets of Rome, the hills of Tuscany, the roads of Germany, all the way up to the countrysides of Finland and Sweden whenever I want. Makes a big difference to a local girl when you can pick her up and cruise around town, or pop over to neighboring countries in your own ride.

where are you living now?

Hard question as I have three places I can call "home".

"and able to do things way beyond "bottle service in a club" or "nice dinner out in fancy restaurant." Way beyond."

Can you share some ideas on fun ways to spend dough? I'm actually looking to spend more but I hate acquiring stuff (unless said stuff allows me own less of other stuff).

Personally, I like experiences. Esp. the type I grew up seeing on the Hollywood big screen while I was a scrawny teenager, sucking down a Big Gulp at a local suburban theater,

So if you gave me an opportunity to whisk a smoking hot Eastern European girl to Vienna, walk hand in hand through the Old City together like a honeymoon couple, dine at a tasty restaurant on delicious local wine, and give her the f*ck of her life in a plush apartment while feeding each other chocolate-covered strawberries, then I'd probably do it at least once.

To me, this beats doing 3 mediocre drunken girls pulled from the local bar in a shabby studio and passing out next to them with vodka reeking from my breath. But that's just me. I know others don't mind this.

Quote:Quote:

A lot of girls aren't going to dig a guy living in a run-down short-term rental studio with a bed, laptop, and box of condoms as his only decorations (and yes, I've done that too).

I agree, but considering that a lot of the local guys still live with their parents, you are an upgrade. What percentage of guys are serious ballers in any cosmopolitan city? Less than 15% for sure. Game combined with baller status would be a nice combination.

Quote: (05-29-2010 12:52 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

A lot of girls aren't going to dig a guy living in a run-down short-term rental studio with a bed, laptop, and box of condoms as his only decorations (and yes, I've done that too).

I agree, but considering that a lot of the local guys still live with their parents, you are an upgrade. What percentage of guys are serious ballers in any cosmopolitan city? Less than 15% for sure. Game combined with baller status would be a nice combination.

The issue I found is that speaking for myself, I need to be significant *better* than the local guys to pull the girls. There are so many reasons for them to stay away (different language, their fear that I may not stick around, stigma of being labeled a foreign cock slut, different social circles, etc) that I need as much chips stacked in my favor to counterbalance.

I see your point, but it's important for guys to build a foundation of travel game. So first be able to pull the easy hostel girls when you're a dirty backpacker, then local bar sluts in your shitty studio, and so on.

It's a long term process with many stages.

True...but I've been doing this stuff for 8+ years now...and I'm lazy...so I'm at a different stage in terms of patience and energy exertion.

Good article that relates to this.

The Difference: Living Well vs. Doing Well

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/201...oing-well/

"there is still an overwhelming social compulsion – an insanity of consensus, if you will – to get rich from life rather than live richly, to “do well” in the world instead of living well. And, in spite of the fact that America is famous for its unhappy rich people, most of us remain convinced that just a little more money will set life right. "

"Fortunately, we were all born with winning tickets – and cashing them in is a simple matter of altering our cadence as we walk through the world. Vagabonding sage Ed Buryn knew as much: “By switching to a new game, which in this case involves vagabonding, time becomes the only possession and everyone is equally rich in it by biological inheritance. Money, of course, is still needed to survive, but time is what you need to live. So, save what little money you possess to meet basic survival requirements, but spend your time lavishly in order to create the life values that make the fire worth the candle. Dig?”

Dug. And the bonus to all of this is that – as you of sow your future with rich fields of time – you are also planting the seeds of personal growth that will gradually bloom as you travel into the world."

"On a basic level, there are three general methods to simplifying your life: stopping expansion, reining in your routine, and reducing clutter. The easiest part of this process is stopping expansion. This means that – in anticipation of vagabonding – you don’t add any new possessions to your life, regardless of how tempting they might seem. Naturally, this applies to things like cars and home entertainment systems, but this also applies to travel accessories. Indeed, one of the biggest mistakes people make in anticipation of vagabonding is to indulge in a vicarious travel buzz by investing in water filters, sleeping bags, and travel-boutique wardrobes. In reality, vagabonding runs smoothest on a bare minimum of gear – and even multi-year trips require little initial investment beyond sturdy footwear and a dependable travel bag or backpack."

Yeah, I've read that. Good points in it and I'm definitely in the process of de-cluttering right now.

Everytime I do, it's like a 20 pound dumbbell is taken off my shoulders so clearly, I'm doing the right thing.

This summer is going to be FUN.

KindredSpirit, super awesome post!

Some comments & questions:

Quote: (05-28-2010 07:15 PM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

I make a pretty decent location-independent income flow every month. (knock on wood, let's hope it continues forever).

Very awesome. The next level up is to focus on passive income , meaning making money even when you're not working. You've probably heard about passive income before, and I know its really not that easy to get it going, but the point is there are only so many hours in a day, and if your income dependent on your time, there is a cap on the maximum you can make. Plus, every hour worked is another hour you cant be gaming a hot EE girl [Image: smile.gif]

The passive income thing is not just a cliche. I know quite a few people that have done it. One of which is spending over $50K a month on his living and travel expenses. He spends almost half the year traveling, plus he has a ridiculous lifestyle in the states. Whatever skill you have thats allowing you to work from anywhere, try to think of a way turn it into a business, or other type of passive income stream.

you can't truly access top-level girls in a consistent and 'effortless' way until you become ESTABLISHED in that society. That means where you're known as someone who's there to stay; who has a cool, respected set-up; and is DEEP into the scene with all the social proof and aura that follows.

Excellent Point! Personally I'm in it for the top-level girls, so the above really speaks to me. Can you elaborate on becoming established, specifically in the EE. Here in AR I've learned that you definately need to speak the language if you want to establish yourself. Same in EE? Also how long does this take in your experience?

But I started feeling the weight of these added expenses on my shoulders.

I'm curious as to what expenses where good investments in becoming "established" in a country, and which where poor investments?

I can barely imagine the lifestyle that 50k per month buys.

I might not be able to spend that amount if I tried, unless I insisted on helicopter travel everywhere and a five star hotel every night. A $400 per night room is still only 12k per month. Add another $400 (average estimate) for a short helicopter ride per day, and your still only at 24k per month. And he may not even use helicopters.

Also, maybe if your throwing down for large exotic club bills a few times per week, at a 2-3k a pop. That would get old for me though, as I also agree with the increasingly common view that 'bottle service' is lame.

That guy likely has a high-end call girl habit to spend that much... or maybe he maintains one or two million dollar plus residences..

"I can barely imagine the lifestyle that 50k per month buys. "

Yeah, 50k per month is a hell of a budget.

One place where you could burn through it easy: Las Vegas.

One example: I started my own kitchen. Not a restaurant. Not a public fast food joint. But a gourmet, open aired kitchen with a dining area done up in luxury style that was private, invitation-only. Most importantly, the kitchen is in the city center near the clubs/bars and at STREET-LEVEL (i.e. you can see what's happening inside through big windows as you walk by and can walk right in...if the door is open).

In the kitchen, I'd have chefs cooking gourmet meals (which people could pay to attend); wine tastings after work; after-work happy hour & finger foods for friends; a place to chill at with the doors open (as the girls walked by and peeked in) when I was bored; private dinners with women; musical evenings with delicious appetizers for friends; the list goes on. Hey, I love good food. Most women do as well.

Women thought it was classy, unique, filled with imagination, and saw it as some kind of luxurious cultural/food salon hosted by your's truly. Just as important, it was almost always closed unless it mysteriously opened for a special event. They assumed I must be a REALLY wealthy bachelor who lived the good life to have a place like this, just as a hobby. The real idea was to get a system in place that did all the work for me: draw women to me; have them see me as the highest status guy in the place; have them see my life and want to be a part of it; have them depend on me for unique, non-club social events not found elsewhere; have a great place to venue change to close the deal (hey, want to see my private open kitchen? there should be some gourmet food left over from the weekend..."); along with other side-benefits such as meeting new people and having a social hobby.

Passive income is definitely worth shooting for. My current focus is to de-clutter. After de-cluttering, then streamline. Then automate (or add another passive income stream).

Quote: (05-31-2010 12:27 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I can barely imagine the lifestyle that 50k per month buys.

I know! Sick, isn't it!

-4 badass cars & one toyota (for his guests to use when staying at his guest house)
-a totally badass house
-$200 dinners just because
-first class flights every single time,
- full time house keeper
- also hes got a family, so there are a lot of expenses there, like private school. This guys is only 40 years old.

The interesting thing is he's a really down to earth guy. He doesn't demand the best of everything. I mean hes an average dresser, not into fine watches, cigars, and scotch, or anything fancy like that. He just likes to spend money on what makes him happy. And hes smart enough to make a ton of it.

Quote: (05-31-2010 01:14 PM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

In the kitchen, I'd have chefs cooking gourmet meals (which people could pay to attend); wine tastings after work; after-work happy hour & finger foods for friends; a place to chill at with the doors open (as the girls walked by and peeked in) when I was bored; private dinners with women; musical evenings with delicious appetizers for friends; the list goes on. Hey, I love good food. Most women do as well.

Fucking brilliant.

Every lion needs a den. Every G needs a pimp spot to hang in and put out his pimp vibe.

Did you make money, loose money, or break even on it?

Lost money. I unfortunately am not as skilled as your 50g a month friend...wish I had that kind of knack for making money though.