rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

advice to this forum about personal health

I have read a lot of threads on here about going to the gym, what to eat and what supplements to take. Taking x to help x body issue.

If there was one magical place to go for any kind of information on personal health it would be bodybuilding.com forums. There are olympic trainers/nutritionists on there and every high reputation poster is all on the same level and agreement about everything. People who have been in the health/fitness business for decades are always posting free advice. If there was a definitive place that cuts through all the BS and has perfect answers on everything related to health it is bb.com. I see people quoting random articles on here and most of the time its complete bs and contradicts a hundred different other things. When it comes to your health I wouldn't mess around.

A random list of very important things I learned from BB.com forums:

-almost all multi vitamins you see at stores are bad for you
-how having appropriate amounts of fat in your diet is important for the look of your skin, hair, nails and an assortment of other physical things
-tanning beds increase chance of skin cancer, even if you do it once
-avoiding stretch marks
-correcting every major posture issue you could think of
-the absolute best place to go for any physical/gain muscle/losing weight advice (I am 205 lbs, deadlift 425 and owe everything to this site)
-how to get the "sex V" lines above your junk
-how much protein/carbs/fat/calories i need per day and why

I am not a promoter of the site, I have under 1000 posts there but the site has literally changed my life in so many positive ways and I see people asking questions on here and most posters have good intentions on RSV but really don't know what they are talking about. Quick search over the past 2 pages on here and I see threads on saw palmetto, zinc, muscle mass, apple cider vinegar, protein, creatine, total gym/sledgehammers etc etc and its just like throwing shit at a wall and seeing if it sticks. There are actual detailed and definitive answers for all of these things and there is no guess work or trial and error involved if your looking in the right place.

too much work!!!

jk, i love bb

I've been meaning to check that forum out, I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge contained therein I would appreciate it.

Could you please create a "Hall of Fame" concerning threads at the BB forums? Threads that were most helpful to you?

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

I appreciate the positive sentiment behind your post. Thanks for looking out man [Image: thumb.gif]

Team Nachos

Those guys can be some serious blue pill player haters but I'm sure their lifting advice is OK.
I second MSW on that hall of fame threads idea. Especially those "V" lines above the junk thing, Pink has them and I don't.

Quote: (02-27-2013 11:02 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

I've been meaning to check that forum out, I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge contained therein I would appreciate it.

Could you please create a "Hall of Fame" concerning threads at the BB forums? Threads that were most helpful to you?

The best ones I listed that helped me I have long forgotten but but as a general rule go to their forum and use the search. One of the funny things is when you look at what thread to choose from on search, the 2002 ones almost always have the same information as the 2013 ones. Correct information is timeless.

From there you just look at the posters with the high rep value and don't read the posts from the lower ones. Any post with a 5000+ rep poster I read, if a thread doesn't have a 5000+ rep poster posting in it I just hit back and go to search and find a thread that has one in it. Same rule applies there as here, if Tuth Roosh etc are posting I am going to take what they say as gospel compared to someone with 0 rep.

Just a warning, if you create threads that are repetitive without using search you will get chewed out or ignored but the forums are really good about pointing out when someone says something that is false so there is not a lot of misinformation on it when you are browsing around.

I was just reading a post on here before I made this thread and one of the posters I always read advice on from RVF was taking a centrum multi vitamin, just wanted to shake my head. I read another on here about equating creatine with steroids. Made me lol hard.

Quote: (02-27-2013 11:30 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Those guys can be some serious blue pill player haters but I'm sure their lifting advice is OK.
I second MSW on that hall of fame threads idea. Especially those "V" lines above the junk thing, Pink has them and I don't.

I go to RVF for banging bitches, I go to BB.com for health/fitness. The reactions you have for those blue pill 6pack dudes would be the same reactions they have reading this board about health/fitness. Just gotta choose the proper source of information.

As for the V lines: here you go: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...t443407351 <--TLDR: stomach vacuums

posture: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=139256073
proper form for compound lifts: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=118920551

The biggest one that is applicable to RVF is having 0.5g of fat per day per pound of mass you have which there are 1000's of threads on. So if you are 200 lbs you should be having 100g fat a day. I found this one to be of such huge importance because 1) the TV tells you fat is bad 2) fat is important for so many physical/personal appearance/hygiene things which is obviously important for the dudes on RVF who are banging girls

Another big one would be shoulders. If you lift you are going to injure your shoulders at some point and I would recommend researching proper bench press technique (it is 10x more complex than you think) and shoulder/rotator cuff stretches for injury prevention or rehab. Lift serious for 2+ years and you will understand in the long run how important shoulder health is.

You dont really need a compilation of hall of fame posts, any health or fitness question that pops in your mind and should automatically bring you there. Again, just looking at the first 2 pages in this forum, do a search on BB on vasectomies, apple cider vinegar, sledgehammer training etc and the proper answers are all there.

Ive already gotten 2 girls because of RVF that I 100% would not have if I didn't stumble upon this place so I feel like I need to give back in case anyone is questioning my motives.

I might be brainfogging, but what is RSV? Google didn't know, either. I read RVF the first time.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (02-28-2013 12:19 AM)Hannibal Wrote:  

I might be brainfogging, but what is RSV? Google didn't know, either. I read RVF the first time.

Yikes. Corrected most of them lol...

To answer the OP

I can agree with your sentiments. I'm no Huge Jackedman, but I don't much care for some of the gimmicky fitness equipment and fad workout ideas that get posted up every once in a while.

I get probably 80% of my fitness information from books, out of which I trust about a third of them (the books that produced recordable gains in more than a handful of people). From that third and what I've found in the past that works for me, I base my training around.

If I were to make a fitness thread here, it would be how to build consistent strength gains with a reputable program using equipment you could fit in a medium sized duffel bag. I'm currently testing such a program (and no, it's not convict conditioning. I did that on and off for eight months and I basically had to rewrite the book to get anywhere). Yeah, you could always get a gym membership, but they're a pain in the ass to find. The last one I went to in a foreign country cost about 60 euros a month and they didn't even have a power rack or a deadlifting platform.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (02-28-2013 12:51 AM)Hannibal Wrote:  

If I were to make a fitness thread here, it would be how to build consistent strength gains with a reputable program using equipment you could fit in a medium sized duffel bag. I'm currently testing such a program (and no, it's not convict conditioning. I did that on and off for eight months and I basically had to rewrite the book to get anywhere). Yeah, you could always get a gym membership, but they're a pain in the ass to find. The last one I went to in a foreign country cost about 60 euros a month and they didn't even have a power rack or a deadlifting platform.

The gym will almost always be the best option unless the closest one is really far away or complete shit like a Good-Life/planet fitness which I will never spend another dollar on again.

Best home gym: adjustable dumbbells: powerblocks are the best, a bench that adjusts from incline/flat/decline, an olympic barbell and at least 2 45 lbs weights for deadlifting. Thats all you need.
For advanced home lifting I would buy a power cage/squat rack.

All of this stuff can be found on kijiji if you look long enough. Your book idea has been done 10,000 times and works for beginners who have never lifted but once you get past a certain point, body weight/resistance bands/whatever is in your duffel bag will become ineffective.

Thanks for the website.

The thread idea I wrote about is just an idea I've been mulling over the last couple months, mostly because I plan on traveling in the future and some countries just do not have the weightlifting culture America does. We've got shitty gyms like Planet Fitness, sure, but there's still plenty to choose from.

In my spare time, when I'm bored, I'll scour through the internet a bit to find ideas for my travel sized gym. Ross Enamait's bodyweight only material is pretty damn good, but I don't think that's enough.

― Donald J. Trump

Travel size gym can get you ripped but you will not gain muscle mass so its all about what you want from your workout. You have to have an increase in lifting weight to gain muscle. I break resistance bands like candy.

Search for calisthenics. These dudes get ripped by doing bodyweight lifts at playgrounds. They all look the same, and none of them have big muscles though unless they are going to the gym+calisthenics. Like I said, it all depends on how you want your physique to look. I don't want to be that 140 lbs kid who you can't tell has a 6pack unless his shirt is off. There is nothing more alpha than being big and powerful.

notsureifsrs.

There are just as many 'broscientists' on that site than anywhere else. There's not just 1 place for fitness and nutrition advice.

Quote: (02-28-2013 05:40 AM)Every10GivesMeA10 Wrote:  

notsureifsrs.

There are just as many 'broscientists' on that site than anywhere else. There's not just 1 place for fitness and nutrition advice.

The broscience is pointed out and laughed at. There is 1 place to go for fitness and nutrition and its there. Just because a lot of what you read on that site sounds strange or different from what you have heard doesn't mean its false.

Give me some examples of broscience you read on BB.com.

been reading that board for a few years now and its helped take me from 260 lbs to 180 lbs

Jaylow -

I got where you are coming from.

However, I think there is some value to hearing what people on this site say about health and fitness from an International Playboy perspective.

Serious question:

How many people on Body building.com smoke multiple packs of cigarettes per day, drink 10-15 cocktails 3-5 nights a week and work out 1-3 times per day?

The health info for that kind of guy is what I am interested in.

I don't know a resource site for that which is why I sometimes "throw shit at a wall and see if it sticks".

Quote: (02-28-2013 02:45 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Jaylow -

However, I think there is some value to hearing what people on this site say about health and fitness from an International Playboy perspective.

Serious question:

How many people on Body building.com smoke multiple packs of cigarettes per day, drink 10-15 cocktails 3-5 nights a week and work out 1-3 times per day?

I don't know a resource site for that which is why I sometimes "throw shit at a wall and see if it sticks".

The worst thing about excessive drinking is that it dehydrates you and raises your estrogen levels. I am not getting into smoking but these things will take away from your lifespan and take away from gains at the gym. You obviously put banging girls ahead of your physique so the gains at the gym aren't as big of a deal to you as it would be to the people on BB. How about this, there are certain minerals/supplements to help counteract some of the negative affects of drinking and smoking. I am not going to search for you but there are detailed answers to this on there.

A simple search on BB.com will tell you what drinking/smoking 5 nights a week will do to your body, there is probably 5000 threads on those issues and if you look hard enough you can find the scientific breakdown but most of the more common questions (like this one) are replied to in a simplified manner because the subject has been beaten to death.
I think its odd that you believe drinking and smoking a lot is uncommon, I also think that even you would be in the minority on RVF on the amount of drinks and smokes you go through on a weekly basis.

These forums have had instant impact in a positive way on my life so I am trying to help people on here, I am not trying to advertise or be an egotistical prick. I read thread after thread on this forum about health/nutrition subjects and I am just shaking my head at the misinformation. People on BB.com are pros at health/fitness just like people on RVF are pros at banging girls.

Quote: (02-28-2013 03:07 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Quote: (02-28-2013 02:45 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Jaylow -

Serious question:

The worst thing about excessive drinking is that it dehydrates you and raises your estrogen levels.

A simple search on BB.com will tell you what drinking/smoking 5 nights a week will do to your body, there is probably 5000 threads on those issues and if you look hard enough you can find the scientific breakdown but most of the more common questions (like this one) are replied to in a simplified manner because the subject has been beaten to death.
I think its odd that you believe drinking and smoking a lot is uncommon, I also think that even you would be in the minority on RVF on the amount of drinks and smokes you go through on a weekly basis.

These forums have had instant impact in a positive way on my life so I am trying to help people on here, I am not trying to advertise or be an egotistical prick. I read thread after thread on this forum about health/nutrition subjects and I am just shaking my head at the misinformation. People on BB.com are pros at health/fitness just like people on RVF are pros at banging girls.

I got you.

Quote:Quote:

I think its odd that you believe drinking and smoking a lot is uncommon

I don't think it is uncommon, I think it is uncommon to do it and work out 1-3 times per day.

Here is a good one to read G:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...ht=smoking

Read the posts from the dudes with 5k+ rep.

Quote: (02-28-2013 03:17 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Second the request for "hall of fame threads"

1. Breaking plateaus
2. Muscle building
3. Nutrition

Every year I find something new to advance weight/health so I would assume there is at least 1 thread for each of the above. Rep point from me if you can find something new that helps me put on more muscle.

In all seriousness it would help, just like having to navigate RVF to figure out who the trolls are, I don't want to do that again over there.

Quote: (02-28-2013 03:17 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Cheers.

I read that thread but didn't see any tips on how to deal with smoking and working out.

Just a bunch of people telling you they are ex smokers or chew tobacco. Or people saying to drink wine instead.

I guess I don't know about the "population" of people on that site. Are they all body builders?

Or are some athletes like boxers/surfers/mma/parkour etc?

1. Breaking plateaus
-Biggest thing is eating more. What is your bench/deadlift/squat at right now?
-How much do you weigh and how tall are you? How long have you been lifting for and how many days a week?

2. Muscle building
-Too vague to answer, there is a million different factors. How long have you lifted for? Did you start with the Starting Strength program? How many days a week do you lift?

3. Nutrition
-Even more vague, specifically ask and I can repeat what I know from reading BB.com for 5 years.
-Basics would be finding your TDEE http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/t...lator.html
-If you want to lose weight go 500 calories under your TDEE, if you want to gain go 100 cals over (really hard because you have to measure everything) up to 500 cals over your TDEE. A lot of the "pros" bulk at around +150-300 calories a day so they get the muscle gains and dont have any fat increase.
-carbs have ZERO affect on weight loss or weight gain and carbs in general are one of the biggest areas of misinformation

I am 200 lbs. I have 150-175g of protein a day. I have 80-110g of fat a day and the rest I fill with carbs.

Like I said before, read the posts from 5k+ posters to avoid trolls, its that simple.

Common lifting questions: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=118885421
Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=136691851
Compound lifts: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=118920551

Quote: (02-27-2013 10:15 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

-almost all multi vitamins you see at stores are bad for you

Good recommendation, thanks.

Can you link to some info about common multi-vitamins being bad for you? I did a forum search like you said and the first five threads I looked at were positive or neutral on them.

carbs have ZERO affect on weight loss or weight gain

It's not that black and white. This is exactly what I mean with the bb.com forums.

and carbs in general are one of the biggest areas of misinformation

True.