rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why the Chinese government is out to suppress the careers of educated women

http://qz.com/56118/why-the-chinese-gove...ted-women/

Are Chinese women getting a raw deal these days? Here’s some evidence of “yes.”

First we have the aggressive affirmative action for boys in college entrance exams, as the Los Angeles Times reported. Anecdotally, universities in China are admitting boys with dramatically lower scores on the college entrance exam than girls whom they reject (note that the exam is pretty much the only criterion that Chinese universities use to assess candidates). And “the difference is sometimes really significant,” as the director of the Women’s Legal Research and Service Center told the LA Times.

To get a sense of why the government is doing this, one needs only look at the other recent gender inequality headline-grabber out of China: the enduring “leftover women” phenomenon.

Even though there are enough single men in China to populate the whole state of Texas, Chinese men still won’t marry highly educated women, reported the BBC a few days ago; they prefer to marry down. But the problem of urban, educated women seeing their nuptial prospects shrivel after hitting the age of 27 is not going away.

And the way they’re talked about, their man-snaring desperation has hit extraordinary levels. But it’s the Chinese media that have been responsible for most of that talking. ”Ever since 2007, the state media have aggressively disseminated this term [leftover women] in surveys, and news reports, and columns, and cartoons and pictures, basically stigmatizing educated women over the age of 27 or 30 who are still single,” Leta Hong-Fincher, a Beijing-based academic, told the BBC.

But why would the Chinese media (which are, of course, strongly influenced by the Chinese government) want to stigmatize these women?

Probably in an attempt to counter a more urgent problem, the “bare branches”—the tens of millions of Chinese men who make too little to attract a wife. This phenomenon was best captured in the dating shows “If You Are the One,” when one contestant coolly declared that she “rather cry in a BMW than laugh on the backseat of a bicycle.” The instant popularity of that sentiment prompted the government to take over the show, replacing talk of luxury cars and dream houses with worthy tributes to family and country. But the remark captures the fact that as single professional women in China’s big cities become more prosperous, they feel less and less pressure to get hitched.

Which is why, as Hong-Fincher lays out here, the State Council’s fingerprints are all over the “leftover women” hype. Letting more girls into college would mean more of them end up higher up on the ladder than men, creating more “bare branches.” China can’t risk that. And with its bare branches problem only getting worse, the Chinese government will curb the independence of its most capable women even more.

The misinformation is high.
The hamster is very strong in this one.

WIA

And this is why China will be around long after America is dead.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Yeah, I'm not losing any sleep over this.

I'm starting to have more and more respect for the Chinese government.

But I have a question and maybe someone has the answer(Athlone??). Why are women doing better in school than men? Women are not inherently smarter than men are. They don't have higher IQs. What accounts for this domination of women in colleges? Is it affirmative action?

at least the chinese "government" tries to actively control the population in their country

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote: (02-22-2013 06:55 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

But I have a question and maybe someone has the answer(Athlone??). Why are women doing better in school than men? Women are not inherently smarter than men are. They don't have higher IQs. What accounts for this domination of women in colleges? Is it affirmative action?

I think there are multiple reasons:

1) Affirmative Action - 'nuff said
2) Feminized Education - women are good at sitting still and coloring within the lines. Boys are not. Boys who refuse to do so are drugged.
3) Feminized Society: Zero Tolerance rules for fighting, guns, etc, no recess for boys to get out excess energy = prison for boys at school

There are more reasons I am sure.

Wald

Have you read "The Manipulated Man" by Esther Vilar? She touches on it:
Quote:Quote:

"most schoolgirls do Well in subjects that do not require thought, that can be memorized, such as languages (to have a good memory can, as is well known, also be a sign of feeble-mindedness) or that, like mathematics, follow strict rules which again are learned by rote, while other subjects (physics, chemistry, biology) are beyond them. From this it does not follow that these girls lack intelligence but that there is a `typical feminine' intelligence: that this kind of `intelligence' is a developed (not innate) kind of stupidity"

Add what Wald said to the above. It's why many women take English; if you parrot what professor says you'll get at least a B+.
I took

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Quote: (02-22-2013 06:40 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

And this is why China will be around long after America is dead.

Control and idealization of the family unit has throughout history been the number one goal of all dominant societies, which is why I agree with this sentiment. I don't see the West lasting too much longer at the rate that it's trying to destroy the family and wean people onto the dependance of the state.

I know that some of what the Chinese government does veers into the shady (but hey, its not like they're doing it to me personally), but at least they seem to have a long-term goal in mind that isn't 'let's try these things out, and if they don't totally destroy society, we can call it a success.'

Unlike in feminized 'You go grrl!' you CAN have everything!' America, the majority of the Chinese population, and this includes its young women, tend to see the importance of the family and children, and want to have them as soon as they can. Not that there isn't some materialism going on (what else can you expect in a country that's rapidly trying to become like the West, where anything American [except its women, hehehehe], is still worshipped?), but it's not like back there.

You don't have mothers telling their daughters to 'Shoot for the clouds! Get as good a job as you can, make a ton of money and don't get married unless you really want to!', they say 'If you aren't married by 30, you're out of the family.'

On the topic of women doing better in school.....

One thing I have noticed in Comp Sci classes at my school is that girls are typically far more involved in cheating/over-collaborating, and they seek help from friends and professors more frequently than the average guy.

Just my observation. Maybe the same thing holds at other schools too.

China is really on top of thinsg and they know it. I'm sure they've been carefully studying what has been going on in the west with their more liberal policies and looking at that, the Chinese elite will not want to make the same mistake. Good for them!

Every woman that gets an education and remains single is another unmarried man who has nothing to lose if he decides to take up a rifle and go shoot at the government.

Quote: (02-23-2013 12:34 AM)Faust Wrote:  

Every woman that gets an education and remains single is another unmarried man who has nothing to lose if he decides to take up a rifle and go shoot at the government.

I think that's hit the nail on the head. The Chinese Govt is shit scared of social unrest, and China has a long and bloody history of it (see the documentary China - Triumph and Turmoil). Their legitimacy depends on their keeping a lid on things. They already have a problem providing enough city jobs for all the peasants coming in from the countryside, which is why they have to keep the economy growing at breakneck pace.

Maybe they didn't look forward enough when they instituted the one child policy, but they are trying to be more prescient now.

Quote: (02-23-2013 09:35 AM)Acute Angle Wrote:  

[quote='Faust' pid='377406' dateline='1361597697']

Maybe they didn't look forward enough when they instituted the one child policy, but they are trying to be more prescient now.

Mass Starvation now? Or Kick the Can down the road? Those were the options.

Same intractable type problems face every government.
Usually the best solution for everyone is equally distributed pain for everyone.

Those in power have learned how to distribute the pain to everyone but reap the rewards for themselves.

WIA

I never knew there were so many fans of authoritarioan government in this forum.

There are some things that government does well, but social engineering ain't one of them. Remember, the Chinese government started this problem in the first place with it's one child policy.

Millions of young, unmarried men are a potent source of civil unrest.

Quote: (02-23-2013 12:54 PM)j r Wrote:  

I never knew there were so many fans of authoritarioan government in this forum.

I'm not an authoritarian except when it comes to education. In my opinion, it is a mistake to give total freedom to children. Children should be given the best education possible to make sure they are the best citizens possible, which means restrictions on some groups and privileges for others.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

At least for the Anglosphere, that's because the propagandists who say this refuse to break the statistics down properly. The women appear to be doing better because they get non-STEM degrees. Captain Capitalism had a great youtube post about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u65IM15uehQ

The other guys have already said what needs to be said, but I'll flesh it out a little. There are two main reasons for the discrepancy.

1. Female focus. Girls not only mature faster than boys, but they also tend to be better at focusing on many of the more mundane tasks schools require students to do. Schools today ask students frequently to sit down in one place and complete many sometimes monotonous assignments to hammer in the knowledge they want the children to learn.

Women are much better at sitting still and just doing it, and their levels of cooperation in this are higher as well.
Men act out more. They don't sit nearly as still, get bored more easily and favor more physical activity (which no longer exists for them in schools today).

This leads me to my second point...

2. Lack of male cooperation. Men act out more, and their natural ways lead to conflict. Boys will fight one another (especially when cooped up and given few outlets to actually exert themselves), and schools do not tolerate fighting.

This natural male tendency towards acting out and being more active in general creates more suspensions and detentions as well as lower grades. This, in turn, hurts boys who want to go to college.

Long story short, modern education in the west favors the feminine imperative. Girls have a tremendous advantage in modern academia (pretty much their entire lives up until the end of college) and this advantage is manifesting itself in the gender gap you see in higher education.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Where is the place where the most anti-minimalists live?

Imho in prisons. They just wanted more. It was not enough. But ended being more minimalist than thought.

"Even though there are enough single men in China to populate the whole state of Texas, Chinese men still won’t marry highly educated women, reported the BBC a few days ago; they prefer to marry down. "

Ya. Right. It's the MEN who prefer to marry down. Not the WOMEN who prefer to marry up.

Uh huh.

One more check mark in the "pro" column for moving to China.

I loved the NYTimes article reviewing (mocking) a column published by China's Womens Federation regarding "leftover women" (single women over 27)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/opinio...&_r=4&&

It's actually pretty impressive what a motivated organization can do when they don't concern themselves with political correctness.

My favourite quote:

" When you find out that he is having an affair, you may be in a towering rage, but you must know that if you make a fuss, you are denying the man “face” ... No man is capable of spending a lifetime being loyal to an outmoded wife who never changes ... Try changing your hairstyle or your fashion. Women must constantly change for the better. "

Quote: (02-23-2013 04:46 PM)Bill Wrote:  

Where is the place where the most anti-minimalists live?

Imho in prisons. They just wanted more. It was not enough. But ended being more minimalist than thought.

sorry, wrong thread.