rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thinking about becoming a Bartender.

Any of you guys done this job or do you work as a Bartender now?

I think I will take the course this summer, I think it would be a great part time job.

Thoughts?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Not one of my bartender friends has ever taken a course on being a bartender. And I'm pretty close to some top bartenders in the cities I live in.

They either got their first gigs through nepotism, or through starting at the true ground floor of the industry.

I have no idea where you live, so your area might be different. In Chicago and S.Fla, the bartender schools are usually packed, and most of those people I know who took bartender classes said the schools were no help for finding jobs. Talk to graduates of your program to see how happy they were with the program and the job leads.

The ground floor of the server industry is one of three positions: bouncer, barback, server. Barbacking is a great job because you get the option to workout lifting cases of beer and ice all day. My barback buddies actually as much tail as my bartender buddies, and they get a lot of options for party invites, etc.

The server friends who upgraded were usually invited to run the service bar (for the servers, not customers directly) when a bartender didn't show or quit without warning.

I'd recommend it for any guy (especially if you're young). The networking is great, and if you can avoid drinking, you can make some serious bank and still manage another (day) job if you want.

Lots of easy pussy if you don't mind working at night. I burned out after 1 year.

There are a few of these threads. Be careful with the schools. Some are basically a scam

Worked as a bartender at two family restaurant chains in university. Socially, there was no upside with the undesirable customer base at the spots where I worked, but one was able to do well with the server girls. Money-wise it was great. Banking at least a bill in tips a night.

I've never known anyone to have taken a bartender training course in Canada.

Quote: (02-16-2013 04:16 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

I think I will take the course this summer, I think it would be a great part time job.

Thoughts?

A job as a bartender should be fun, at least for sometime. I'm considering it.

rudebwoy, this course you mention, is it part of a specific job a specific venue or at some kind of institution where they offer these types of courses?

I would like giving it a try here in my city but I have no idea where to start. Also I don't know any places where they offer courses like this, I figure that the venue offers some kind of small training for newbies.

school will make you slightly better at puoring drinks, not give you a better chance of getting the job...

that said, I wish I'd done some bartending, just for the experience. I'd do some now but feel way too old to start :/

I believe it is some institute, they have a bar set-up and teach you how to make all the drinks. I know a fair amount of drinks but not all, I would actually like to be good at it. The course is like $250 and I am sure there will be some chicks in the class.

Our New Blog:

It's one of the ultimate player jobs, but the best spots are hard to get in.
Much like dj'ing, you gotta pay your dues.

WIA

I was a bartender for about 5 years. Like anything else, it has its positives and its negatives. Here are a few from my experience:

Positives:
Meet tons of girls
You're the "gatekeeper" in the sense that you control the alcohol, thus you control the party
Decent money if you get in a good spot
Usually work less than 40 hours a week
Easy to try new types of game on girls because you're expected to flirt and be 'the fun guy'
Some places you can drink on the job

Negatives:
Usually working at night. Not going to sleep until 4 or 5 am
Hard to save/manage your finances because you're always making cash and living a party lifestyle (Read: Male version of stripper)
Pretty much always work the nights that has the most people out. i.e. Thurs-Sat, which makes the nights you go out less fruitful
Destroys your hearing if you work in nightclubs
Can't really do it forever, you don't want to be the 45yr old bartender

These are just a few from my experiences. Overall, I say if you're a young guy, go for it. It's a fun job and you can bang a lot of girls. The course is a joke. Try getting in as a server or barback and work your way up. Nobody takes the course seriously.

Quote: (02-16-2013 04:16 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Thoughts?

No, not in your case.

Will you be able to handle being ordered around by the experienced bartenders/wait staff/managers all in their early/mid 20s?

I've thought about this also.

In Toronto their is a Berlin Wall set up which makes it very hard to get into behind a bar and serve right off the bat. Unless you got a connection you will get shitty jobs at bars which are not very busy at all. I've been told that for me if I wanted to get into I would have to bareback or find a unconventional route with not a lot of competition. My one friend bartends at Rasputin but he had to sweat it out as a barback for 4 fucking years before getting a sniff of the bar.

Certain event people whom host parties and jams always need a extra bartender and connecting with them can get you some decent weekend work twice to four times a month. Finding a Corporate event group can also yield you some great gigs with good tipping patrons. As far as the course goes I have herd mixed things about it as I mentioned it does not help in getting a job but it can help you perform the job better and adjust more quickly I would imagine but for me, a man from out West these types of barriers to entry are unheard off. Back home you would get a job and they would teach you over time, starting you on the shitty nights and then working from there. No 'licenses' or 'courses' needed.

If you have access to the suburbs though then that opens up your options. For me living Downtown its way to tight with to many bodies fighting for such few jobs but in the suburbs you have a lot more space to work with.

In NYC if you attract a crowd you can get in no problem...

Over here you need an RSA ticket (responsible service of alcohol) to work behind a bar. It's a joke though - the ticket costs like $50, and is done online, making it even easier than it already is. In recent times I've tried to game people/friends that work at bars and clubs that I frequent to see whether they can get me jobs there, and had a couple of nibbles, so I'm definitely looking at bar work in the near future. The hours suit me perfectly as well, since I'm more of a night cat anyway.

bartending courses are a complete waste of money...the only way you will learn is hands on

been a bartender for 8 years, club, fine dining, full service restaurant, etc. know it all....each place you work at its different

most important thing is getting in the right place with the right management...you can work at the most popular place in the world but if the management sucks you will hate life, so keep that in mind...

its about selling yourself before selling your skills...most new bartenders suck balls but if they are cool and down to learn then its all good...

I can literally go on for hours about the subject....

p.s - bartending past time = fucking the lil hostesses and new waitresses...clientele all depends on the spot you work at, its hard to game if you are busy trying to flirt for tips and make money at the same time....

Quote: (02-16-2013 05:30 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Lots of easy pussy if you don't mind working at night. I burned out after 1 year.

I never liked bartending. Dealing with drunk people when your sober sucks. Had a much better time bouncing, although the pay wasn't as great. Bouncing gives you the opportunity to work girls on the floor. It's also a good way to get your foot in the door for bartending.

I took a bartending class, and agree that it was a waste of money.

So in my drunken stupor last night I lost my keys, Ray Bans, and Zippo. Went back to the bar to find them, and the waitress insisted I come over to give her a hug. She wouldn't let me leave, and walked back through saying, "your ass looks great in those jeans". And "you look so sexy". I wonder if she is DTF? I finally left and she insisted in leaving my digits. I bet she flakes.

Quote: (02-17-2013 12:33 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

So in my drunken stupor last night I lost my keys, Ray Bans, and Zippo. Went back to the bar to find them, and the waitress insisted I come over to give her a hug. She wouldn't let me leave, and walked back through saying, "your ass looks great in those jeans". And "you look so sexy". I wonder if she is DTF? I finally left and she insisted in leaving my digits. I bet she flakes.

Did the waitress look like Rudebwoy or something?

I am just trying to figure out how this helps the man decide whether to bartend or not.

Quote: (02-17-2013 12:51 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

I am just trying to figure out how this helps the man decide whether to bartend or not.

I'm pre training him to pull if he takes the job. Feel free to continue hating though. Tell the bartender to stop serving you hatorate. Switch over to vodka and tonic.

Quote: (02-17-2013 01:01 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (02-17-2013 12:51 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

I'm pre training him to pull if he takes the job. Feel free to continue hating though. Tell the bartender to stop serving you hatorate. Switch over to vodka and tonic.

hah Is hating the new creepy? Still don't get how the story helps train the dude.

Hey rudebwoy, if you start tending bar, don't throw my keys away. [Image: blush.gif] And don't cockblock me if I'm using you to DHV to bang waitresses. You'll be tipped well.

Quote: (02-17-2013 01:09 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Hey rudebwoy, if you start tending bar, don't throw my keys away. [Image: blush.gif] And don't cockblock me if I'm using you to DHV to bang waitresses. You'll be tipped well.

Ali you are jokes man! When you coming to Toronto?

Kosko - love the comment about the Berlin wall. This city feels like communism sometimes.

Guys this is not going to be my career, this is a side gig at best. I am thinking if I go back to Euroland this might be a good gig for on the side.
I thought about bouncing as well, but don't fancy fighting bums and standing in the frigging cold.

Our New Blog:

Quote: (02-17-2013 01:39 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Kosko - love the comment about the Berlin wall. This city feels like communism sometimes.

Guys this is not going to be my career, this is a side gig at best. I am thinking if I go back to Euroland this might be a good gig for on the side.
I thought about bouncing as well, but don't fancy fighting bums and standing in the frigging cold.

I'll come to Toronto when they change the laws. If you start working bars, network hard with staff from other places. Offer to buy them a round if they come to your place. Bar staff social circles are one of the best to be in. They pussy will flow.

Quote: (02-17-2013 01:43 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (02-17-2013 01:39 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

I'll come to Toronto when they change the laws. If you start working bars, network hard with staff from other places. Offer to buy them a round if they come to your place. Bar staff social circles are one of the best to be in. They pussy will flow.

What laws you on about! Come in the summer time and show dem gals some southern charm.
At my age I think I can only handle a pub or a hotel bar, these nightclubs might be a bit much for me.

Our New Blog:

Quote: (02-17-2013 09:39 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I never liked bartending. Dealing with drunk people when your sober sucks.

True, that's why I was always drunk and high!